Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
It's time to think big....I'm advocating for Maine to go FBS and become MAC #14. Maine has 1.4 million people and UMaine is the only D1 program in the state (the only state in the country with one D1 football program). The #78 Portland/#156 Bangor media markets combined would rank right around #68 Des Moines/Ames. Bangor International Airport is 10 minutes from campus....a quick trip for MAC teams stepping off their charter flight. Commercial airlines that serve BIA are American, Allegiant, Breeze, Delta and United.

$220 million in new and renovated athletic facilities is underway including Morse Arena....a new basketball facility slated to be completed in December 2026 and will house football operations and be attached to Alfond Stadium which itself will have its track removed as well as other updated features.

Finally Maine's AD is Jude Killy....a masters grad and longtime (15 years) associate AD at Miami-Ohio. He is familiar and has ties to the MAC.

LFG!

What G5 Conference is going to offer Maine a chance to join? Most Mainiacs live in the Portland area or south and you have the same indirect competition as UNH - the full slate of Boston professional sports. I think that there's almost as many UNH fans in Southern Maine as there are U of M. Wildcat Stadium is much closer for them then Alfond. Maine has had some marquis players in recent years but most of them transfer at their earliest opportunity. So did your outstanding coaching staff immediately after the highly successful 2018 season. You really haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in a long time. Maine had a resurgence in Men's Hockey this past season but you already play in a premier Division 1 Hockey Conference. So I believe moving to G5, with or without the Dexter Shoe money, would be a big mistake, if it is even feasible. I feel exactly the same about UNH - very happy to see them stay FCS.