PDA

View Full Version : CAA is in trouble

Pages : [1] 2

Tim James
November 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
because none of the 3 teams left have a home game in the quaterfinals. That could be a huge difference and increases the chance of no CAA teams in the semi finals. If that does happen it would be disasterous for the CAA who got 5 bids if none made the semis. I'd feel a lot better if 1 or 2 of the teams were at home but all 3 on the road !!! Geeze !

CID1990
November 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I don't think anyone in the CAA should be complaining about anything related to this year's playoffs.

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM
because none of the 3 teams left have a home game in the quaterfinals. That could be a huge difference and increases the chance of no CAA teams in the semi finals. If that does happen it would be disasterous for the CAA who got 5 bids if none made the semis. I'd feel a lot better if 1 or 2 of the teams were at home but all 3 on the road !!! Geeze !

Disasterous? Hardly. 3-2 in the first round, with both losses on the road, to good teams in the final minute. None of the CAA teams were seeded, it's not like we're supposed to have any final four teams. If the CAA losses all three this weekend it will be 3-5 in the playoffs with the home team winning each time. That's not great, but it's nothing to be ashamed of either.

eaglesrthe1
November 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I agree.

It's also interesting that prior to the games being played, several people were saying that the CAA was being given an easier road by being disproportionally being matched up with the "non-power" conferences... MEAC, OVC, Patriot. So how did the teams do? Both of the teams matched up with the power conferences lost, while all 3 matched up with the non-power conferences won.xeyebrowx

CID1990
November 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM
One thing is for sure- the road to Chattanooga goes through Boone and Spartanburg this year.

HaveFunKc
November 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Why is this 'disasterous'? xconfusedx The CAA just set a new standard for all future FCS playoffs with a 5 team bid this year - no matter what happens, the CAA is now the benchmark (good or bad) come selection time.

Playoffs are here! To be the best, you have to beat the the best! Let's play!!! xthumbsupx

Tim James
November 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I'm not complaing they didnt get any home games this round. Only Richmond could make a decent case for one. I said it would be a disaster if none of the 5 teams made the semis and the 3 left are all on the road and that makes it more difficult to advance for them.

Tim James
November 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
If the CAA losses all three this weekend it will be 3-5 in the playoffs with the home team winning each time. That's not great, but it's nothing to be ashamed of either.

But if it does happen the "anti 5 bid CAA people" are gonna have a field day for sure.

Houndawg
November 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
But if it does happen the "anti 5 bid CAA people" are gonna have a field day for sure.

Five teams selected and the only conference with teams on both sides of the bracket? If it does happen it will be hard to find someone to blame.

Appstate29
November 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Disasterous? Hardly. 3-2 in the first round, with both losses on the road, to good teams in the final minute. None of the CAA teams were seeded, it's not like we're supposed to have any final four teams. If the CAA losses all three this weekend it will be 3-5 in the playoffs with the home team winning each time. That's not great, but it's nothing to be ashamed of either.

when you factor in who the 3 wins came against, then its borderline bad.

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
You people are insane. The two games that the CAA lost were to teams that were clearly better than the two CAA teams they faced AND both had home field advantages.

How many people expected UNH to go to UNI and win in a first round game? Guess what, they were seven seconds away from doing that. How many thought JMU would go to Appy and win in the first round? Guess what, they were one stupid coach away from doing just that.

If you want to compare apples to apples, then we should talk when Richmond goes to UNI or when UMass goes to Appy.

A lot of you were picking EKU as an upset winner against us, now you say that it was an easy win for us. Maybe it just seems that way because we, and the other CAA teams, are very good teams.

ChickenMan
I agree.

It's also interesting that prior to the games being played, several people were saying that the CAA was being given an easier road by being disproportionally being matched up with the "non-power" conferences... MEAC, OVC, Patriot. So how did the teams do? Both of the teams matched up with the power conferences lost, while all 3 matched up with the non-power conferences won.xeyebrowx

JMU and UNH lost.. but lets be 'real'.. JMU #4 in the CAA was in position to beat ASU at the Rock but fumbled it away at the end. UNI.. the #5 CAA team loses at #1 UNI.. on a last second TD. If you think that those loses prove anything other than that the CAA very tough league.. you need to think again... xrolleyesx

All that being said.. I agree that the CAA will have a tough time on the road.. 67% of the home teams have won over the past ten years and I expect that figure to hold up again this Saturday.

JMU-MRD-DAD

.....I was shocked with the 5th CAA team getting in the field......but I don't agree with the statement "CAA is in trouble".

Trouble is TWO undefeated SEEDS being bumped in the opening round AT HOME......and the #1 seed almost taking an early exit.

ChickenMan
November 25th, 2007, 05:06 PM

xdizzyx

Tim James
November 25th, 2007, 05:09 PM
The problem is that none of the 3 CAA teams left are clearly better than their opponent and the lack of a home field could be the deciding factor.

UncleSam
November 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Using that kind of goofy logic you would have say that the ASU win was without question..... bad. After all, the top team in the migthy SoCon was whipped all over their home field by the #4 team in the over-rated CAA and if it wasn't for a fumble in the last seconds, all you Appie boys would still be poo-hooing over a loss to JMU.

GreatAppSt
November 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Using that kind of goofy logic you would have say that the ASU win was without question..... bad. After all, the top team in the migthy SoCon was whipped all over their home field by the #4 team in the over-rated CAA and if it wasn't for a fumble in the last seconds, all you Appie boys would still be poo-hooing over a loss to JMU.
28-27

Houndawg
November 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM

If a frog had wings he wouldn't whomp his ass hopping.

The fact is that the top team in the mighty SoCon plays next saturday and the 4th team in the over-rated CAA watches the game on TV.

Houndawg
November 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM
The problem is that none of the 3 CAA teams left are clearly better than their opponent and the lack of a home field could be the deciding factor.

I don't think it matters much from here on out except maybe with respect to weather. Any of the teams left is good enough to win the NC and all of them can win on the road.

matfu
November 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM
no doubt the CAA was and is good this year! in the playoffs, they don't have a great win so far. regarding new hampshire and james madison...a nearly great win unfortunately is a loss. PERIOD! the caa was lucky to get a 5th team IN this year and new hampshire was seconds away from doing the unbelievable. i would agree that if the 3 caa teams lose this coming weekend it was be a huge disappointment. i don't consider wins over delaware state, fordham and eastern kentucky to be anything to brag about.

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
no doubt the CAA was and is good this year! in the playoffs, they don't have a great win so far. regarding new hampshire and james madison...a nearly great win unfortunately is a loss. PERIOD! the caa was lucky to get a 5th team IN this year and new hampshire was seconds away from doing the unbelievable. i would agree that if the 3 caa teams lose this coming weekend it was be a huge disappointment. i don't consider wins over delaware state, fordham and eastern kentucky to be anything to brag about.

Who's bragging?

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 05:37 PM

The fact is that the top team in the mighty SoCon plays next saturday and the 4th team in the over-rated CAA watches the game on TV.

Other facts are that the #1, #2 and #3 teams from the mighty CAA are still playing, and the #1 teams from the MEAC, OVC and Patriot will be sitting home.

44-7
49-35
31-14

What's your point?xsmiley_wix

This is gonna be a great week. The BS on the floor here has already necessitated a change of socks.xthumbsupx

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
When it's all said and done, the best two teams will be in Chatty. If you can't win a tough road game you don't deserve to be the champion. In 2004 JMU won all three on if it's games on the road before winning the NC game. No excuses, if UNI beats Delaware this weekend it's because they are the better team, not because the are at home. The same goes for the other games involving CAA teams.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
.. the #5 CAA team loses at #1 UNI.. on a last second TD.

Correction: The #6 CAA team.:D

CID1990
November 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM
The only problem I have with there being 5 CAA teams in the playoffs is that it is going to take 4 weeks for the SoCon to send them all home.

WildCat In The Hat
November 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
The only problem I have with there being 5 CAA teams in the playoffs is that it is going to take 4 weeks for the SoCon to send them all home.

Yo CID enough of your whining and crying already. You would be the worst team in the CAA. It's the holidays, and you have been home the whole time-go visit some family or friends (well let's leave it at family). Any team in the CAA would beat you-deal with it.

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Lucky for the Citadel you have ASU and Wofford to fight your playoff battles for you.xlolx

Chi Panther
November 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
sounds like 2003 when everyone said the GFC didn't deserve 4.....

First Round (11/29):
Northern Ariz. 35, McNeese St. 3 (Lake Charles, La. 14,300)
Fla. Atlantic 32, Bethune-Cookman 24 (Daytona Beach, Fla. 8,468)
Colgate 19, Massachusetts 7 (Hamilton, N.Y. 4,197)
Western Ill. 43, Montana 40 (2 ot) (Missoula, Mont. 10,165)
Wofford 31, N.C. A&T 10 (Spartanburg, S.C. 10,500)
Western Ky. 45, Jacksonville St. 7 (Bowling Green, Ky. 3,573)
Delaware 48, Southern Ill. 7 (Newark, Del. 14,572)
UNI 35, Montana St. 14 (Cedar Falls, Ia. 10,165)
Quarterfinals (12/6):
Fla. Atlantic 48, Northern Ariz. 25 (Flagstaff, Ariz. 9,314)
Colgate 28, Western Ill. 27 (Hamilton, N.Y. 5,287)
Wofford 34, Western Ky. 17 (Spartanburg, S.C. 7,500)
Delaware 37, UNI 7 (Newark, Del. 11,881)
Semifinals (12/13):
Colgate 36, Fla. Atlantic 24 (Boca Raton, Fla. 12,857)
Delaware 24, Wofford 9 (Newark, Del. 14,351)
Championship (12/19):
Delaware 40, Colgate 0 (Chattanooga, Tenn. 14,281)

JmuSkinsfan
November 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Are you guys serious?!?!?!

I was at the game yesterday, and JMU wins that game 8/10 times. Ask any App. State fan and they will likely tell you that they got luck with that win.

UNH ALMOST pulls off the upset at #1 UNI. How can you say that wasn't representing the conference.

Regardless of how you try and spin this...JMU lost because of a fumble, UNH lost because of a very solid (but lucky) last second drive. You have to be KIDDING ME if you really, truly, are trying to make the point that the CAA is "in trouble"....you are INSANE..

THE CAA IS 2 PLAYS AWAY FROM HAVING 5/8 QUARTERFINAL TEAMS...LAY OFF, AND STOP SMOKING THE CRA@K

YoUDeeMan
November 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
no doubt the CAA was and is good this year! in the playoffs, they don't have a great win so far. regarding new hampshire and james madison...a nearly great win unfortunately is a loss. PERIOD! the caa was lucky to get a 5th team IN this year

No, the CAA was not lucky to get 5 teams in this year.

They got 5 teams in....PERIOD!

And, unlike all the other conferences but the Gateway and SoCon, they all played well.

Well...actually Appy got manhandled in every way but the scoreboard. xnodx

WildCat In The Hat
November 25th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Lucky for the Citadel you have ASU and Wofford to fight your playoff battles for you.xlolx

Don't be too hard on Citadel-they had a BIG win against 6-5 Furman. The same Furman team that got destroyed by Hofstra-who lost 40-3 to UNH (the 5th CAA team to get in the playoffs). Let CIT ask all his App State buddies how bad the CAA is.

wocorebel
November 25th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't hate on the Citadel and make fun of Furman. I would take the SOCON top five and match up against the CAA's top five and see what happens in a tournament. Each team in the SOCON brings something different to the table as does every CAA team. But the Citadel is good enough to be a playoff team, Furman is now (it took them a little longer to find their rhythm), so could GSU, and so could Elon. You can't assume because so in so beat so in so we could beat so in so.

Houndawg
November 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM

I was at the game yesterday, and JMU wins that game 8/10 times. Ask any App. State fan and they will likely tell you that they got luck with that win.

UNH ALMOST pulls off the upset at #1 UNI. How can you say that wasn't representing the conference.

Regardless of how you try and spin this...JMU lost because of a fumble, UNH lost because of a very solid (but lucky) last second drive. You have to be KIDDING ME if you really, truly, are trying to make the point that the CAA is "in trouble"....you are INSANE..

THE CAA IS 2 PLAYS AWAY FROM HAVING 5/8 QUARTERFINAL TEAMS...LAY OFF, AND STOP SMOKING THE CRA@K

Almost doesn't count. UNI wasn't very sharp and still won. Hell, that wasn't even the closest game they've been in this season.

JoltinJoe
November 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I wish the Patriot League was in as much trouble as the CAA is.

JmuSkinsfan
November 25th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Almost doesn't count. UNI wasn't very sharp and still won. Hell, that wasn't even the closest game they've been in this season.

Well, last I checked, the #16 team wasn't supposed to "almost" win the game. Also, last I checked, UNH wasn't supposed to make it a game...but they did...so...what exactly is your argument?

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't hate on the Citadel and make fun of Furman. I would take the SOCON top five and match up against the CAA's top five and see what happens in a tournament. Each team in the SOCON brings something different to the table as does every CAA team. But the Citadel is good enough to be a playoff team, Furman is now (it took them a little longer to find their rhythm), so could GSU, and so could Elon. You can't assume because so in so beat so in so we could beat so in so.
you know they should do that actually match up all the SoCon teams and rotate around the CAA teams each year sorta like the Big Ten/ACC basketball thing.... teams would alternate opponents and home/away each year.... would give us some great games and solve an OOC game each year for the teams.

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I wish the Patriot League was in as much trouble as the CAA is.

xlolx

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Problem is, which 5 teams do we take from the CAA. Villanova will argue for inclusion with 5-3 CAA record. Guess we'll have to draw straws among UNH, Villanova and Hofstra.xlolx

WildCat In The Hat
November 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Yo Elvis, sounds like you're on a twinkie high. If you think the CAA didn't represent-your not even worth reading. Come back when you have a clue.

Appstate29
November 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM

actually, Wofford and GSU both had wins over us and had the same conference record IIRC, so we are the 3rd best mighty SoCon team.

WildCat In The Hat
November 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Problem is, which 5 teams do we take from the CAA. Villanova will argue for inclusion with 5-3 CAA record. Guess we'll have to draw straws among UNH, Villanova and Hofstra.xlolx

Let's see if any of them can beat Rhody first.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM
actually, Wofford and GSU both had wins over us and had the same conference record IIRC, so we are the 3rd best mighty SoCon team.

xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

This gets better with each page!xlolx

unigriff
November 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
its just too bad there cant be a all-gateway final and UNI and SIU have to duke it out one more time to go to Chatty...:(

Houndawg
November 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Yo Elvis, sounds like you're on a twinkie high. If you think the CAA didn't represent-your not even worth reading. Come back when you have a clue.

xrolleyesx Yo Tarzan, enjoy the playoffs on TV.xlolx

Yeah, representing. DSU, Fordham, EKUxcoffeex

UNH did a fine job and almost made UNI pay for letting them hang around. But they didn't. YSU played UNI closer and didn't make the playoffs. So playing shoulda, woulda, coulda is kind of senseless.

WildCat In The Hat
November 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM

UNH did a fine job and almost made UNI pay for letting them hang around. But they didn't. YSU played UNI closer and didn't make the playoffs. So playing shoulda, woulda, coulda is kind of senseless.

Twinkie Boy-you're the one playing woulda/coulda-5 CAA teams DID make the playoffs. Bring something new to the table-you're story is as old and weak as you are.

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM

This whole argument is senseless, yet here we are....

eaglesrthe1
November 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
JMU and UNH lost.. but lets be 'real'.. JMU #4 in the CAA was in position to beat ASU at the Rock but fumbled it away at the end. UNI.. the #5 CAA team loses at #1 UNI.. on a last second TD. If you think that those loses prove anything other than that the CAA very tough league.. you need to think again... xrolleyesx

All that being said.. I agree that the CAA will have a tough time on the road.. 67% of the home teams have won over the past ten years and I expect that figure to hold up again this Saturday.

I didn't expect them to not be competitive, it's just interesting that the very thing that some were complaining about came to fruition. In the five games, it went that way 5 times. Interesting.xcoffeex

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I didn't expect them to not be competitive, it's just interesting that the very thing that some were complaining about came to fruition. In the five games, it went that way 5 times. Interesting.xcoffeex
I don't see your point. In all five games the home team was arguably the better team, and the home team won. This isn't exactly shocking, in fact many people on this site correctly predicted the outcome of all 5 CAA games.

eaglesrthe1
November 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Who's bragging?

Not really bragging, but trying to put a pretty face on it.

appst97
November 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM

"8 out of 10" looks like you need to put down the pipe. JMoops didn't lose because of a fumble. They lost because they were outscored. Landers was within 3 yards rushing, 2 yards passing, and 3 TD's from playing as well as Armanti. We were fortunate to win, but that fumble was just one piece of it.

See you in September, maybe you can improve on your 3-12 record vs ASU

eaglesrthe1
November 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I don't see your point. In all five games the home team was arguably the better team, and the home team won. This isn't exactly shocking, in fact many people on this site correctly predicted the outcome of all 5 CAA games.

It didn't work that way at Montana and McNeese, and I didn't say it was shocking. Nobody has said that the CAA was weak, but that they benefited from some fortunate scheduling. Wofford and EWU overcame. UNH and JMU didn't. We'll just have to see next week if any of the remaining CAA teams can overcome.

eaglesrthe1
November 25th, 2007, 07:26 PM
"8 out of 10" looks like you need to put down the pipe. JMoops didn't lose because of a fumble. They lost because they were outscored. Landers was within 3 yards rushing, 2 yards passing, and 3 TD's from playing as well as Armanti. We were fortunate to win, but that fumble was just one piece of it.

See you in September, maybe you can improve on your 3-12 record vs ASU

That fumble was legit, unlike one that JMU ended up scoring a TD off of.

Houndawg
November 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Twinkie Boy-you're the one playing woulda/coulda-5 CAA teams DID make the playoffs. Bring something new to the table-you're story is as old and weak as you are.

Aww looky, an internet tough guy wandered in. Wrong room, sonny, this room is for the winners. Now run along and follow the AGS Lounge chat room to Crapsville where I think you'll be a little more at home. With the losers. See ya.

Houndawg
November 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
It didn't work that way at Montana and McNeese, and I didn't say it was shocking. Nobody has said that the CAA was weak, but that they benefited from some fortunate scheduling. Wofford and EWU overcame. UNH and JMU didn't. We'll just have to see next week if any of the remaining CAA teams can overcome.

Exactly.

appst97
November 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
That fumble was legit, unlike one that JMU ended up scoring a TD off of.

It should also be noted that the fumble was was forced by our DE Gary Tharrington. It wasn't an "unforced error" As much grief as our D has been getting, they created a couple of short-field scoring opportunities, that, unfortunately did not allow them any rest.

catdaddy2402
November 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Well...actually Appy got manhandled in every way but the scoreboard.
Sucks for JMU that's the only stat that counts.

WildCat In The Hat
November 25th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Aww looky, an internet tough guy wandered in. Wrong room, sonny, this room is for the winners. Now run along and follow the AGS Lounge chat room to Crapsville where I think you'll be a little more at home. With the losers. See ya.

old and weak.......although congratulations on being the first person over 3 to use the word Crapsville...old and weak

Houndawg
November 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM
old and weak.......although congratulations on being the first person over 3 to use the word Crapsville...old and weak

Move along. You're in a no losers zone.

eaglesrthe1
November 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM

xlolx xlolx Crapsville is used quite a bit around here. I think you're there, you just don't know it. Care for a drink?

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Yup. And we'll have to see if any of the Gateway, Socon and Big Sky teams can overcome as well.

Ud1Hens
November 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah I'd much rather be sitting at home with Montana or McNeese St. who lost to good teams rather than beat bad teams and still be in the playoffs like Delaware, Richmond, and UMass.

WildCat In The Hat
November 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Move along. You're in a no losers zone.

OK so the CAA is in trouble because "I am in Crapsville" and this is "No Loser Zone". Wow, insightful. Just say you are jealous of the CAA and get it over with-you make no points. Seriously though, if you are a child I apologize for egging you on.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM

The Crapsville Bar is a long standing tradition on AGS. For some reason Bluekeys hasn't opened it this year. I started a thread last week in The Lounge asking when it would open, and that I'd been sitting outside for weeks drinking cheap wine.

So sit on the porch with me, and have a slug of this E&J! If it ever opens, it's a great place to hang out.

Monarch History
November 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I hope we aren't going to have to read this for the next six days? xbangx

One thing that can't be denied is that the CAA still has three teams in the playoffs and only seconds from having all five teams still alive. Saturday night will tell us if any others survive.xeyebrowx

APPST '93
November 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
So Con and Gateway Final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAA is done.

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
The Crapsville Bar is a long standing tradition on AGS. For some reason Bluekeys hasn't opened it this year. I started a thread last week in The Lounge asking when it would open, and that I'd been sitting outside for weeks drinking cheap wine.
So sit on the porch with me, and have a slug of this E&J! If it ever opens, it's a great place to hang out.Bluekeys hasn't shown up yet but Crapsville is open. And like the sign says inviting your teams and fans, it's "The best place to watch the playoffs ON TV!"

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3466&stc=1&d=1162275224
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30986
xlolx xnodx

Purple For Life
November 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
One thing is for sure- the road to Chattanooga goes through Boone and CEDAR FALLS this year.

There, that's better.

HaveFunKc
November 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Well...actually Appy got manhandled in every way but the scoreboard. xnodx

Wow... That's the first time I've seen that from the JMU/APP game. xconfusedx I'll be one of the first to give credit to Mickey and the Dukes - they took it App's defensive side - hands down. The only saving grace there was big plays (turnovers) and a huge stop in the 4th quarter (on the JMU 32 - finally). The game plan was almost perfect. But in no way can you say JMU manhandled App's offense!! APP scored more points than JMU in less than 1/2 the time of JMU (40.27m to 19.33m). xeekx

If there was a manhandling in every way - JMU would have won hands down. Give JMU a ton of credit for coming to The Rock and executing a near perfect game plan (keeping App's offense off the field almost enough to win). Landers was amazing for the Dukes - really looking forward to seeing him next year at JMU. But let's not loose sight of something here... Edwards actually outperformed Landers in individual stats in half the time.

This is the playoffs! To be the best, you have to beat the best! xthumbsupx

APPST '93
November 25th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Wow... That's the first time I've seen that from the JMU/APP game. xconfusedx I'll be one of the first to give credit to Mickey and the Dukes - they took it App's defensive side - hands down. The only saving grace there was big plays (turnovers) and a huge stop in the 4th quarter (on the JMU 32 - finally). The game plan was almost perfect. But in no way can you say JMU manhandled App's offense!! APP scored more points than JMU in less than 1/2 the time of JMU (40.27m to 19.33m). xeekx

If there was a manhandling in every way - JMU would have won hands down. Give JMU a ton of credit for coming to The Rock and executing a near perfect game plan (keeping App's offense off the field almost enough to win). Landers was amazing for the Dukes - really looking forward to seeing him next year at JMU. But let's not loose sight of something here... Edwards actually outperformed Landers in individual stats in half the time.

Amen brother! xbowx

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM
This is the playoffs! To be the best, you have to beat the best! xthumbsupxThey won't get that chance this year. ;) :p xsmiley_wix :)

HaveFunKc
November 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM
They won't get that chance this year. ;) :p xsmiley_wix :)

Awhh!! Do I detect a little Chattanooga envy? xlolx xlolx

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
This is the playoffs! To be the best, you have to beat the best! xthumbsupxAnd JMU won't get the chance this year. Like I said.

HaveFunKc
November 25th, 2007, 08:57 PM
And JMU won't get the chance this year. Like I said.

Oh... Gotcha. I'm already looking forward to this week. xnodx

Baldy
November 25th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Considering what Appy has done to the A-10/CAA over the past 2+ years, I'd say it's OK for them to get a mulligan for an off day on their part. xthumbsupx

Eagle22
November 25th, 2007, 09:44 PM

Slight correction, as ASU tied for 1st. While GSU did beat ASU head-to-head, we finished 4-3 (as did 3 other SoCon teams) in the conference race ... not 5-2 like Wofford and ASU.

BigApp
November 25th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I was at the game yesterday, and JMU wins that game 8/10 times.

actually, we've played the App/JMU game 15 times now. Appalachian has won 12 of them.

So, your 80% win percentage is correct, just for the wrong team. xreadx

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I don't think anyone in the CAA should be complaining about anything related to this year's playoffs.

And, nobody should be complaining about the CAA's performance in the playoffs this year. 3-2, seven seconds from being 4-1, and one great hit from being 5-0. All 5 proved they belong. Just ask UNI and AppState fans.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM

From what planet are you watching and writing, big fella?

Squealofthepig
November 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah - anyone can say what they will, but after the committee took a chance and put five CAA teams in, it would have been easy to have a letdown.

Instead, the CAA produced three wins and two very hard-fought losses in the best first round in recent memory. I think anyone would be hard-pressed to name another team that could have gone to the UNI-dome and made a better first round game against the #1 seed than UNH.

BigApp
November 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM
And, nobody should be complaining about the CAA's performance in the playoffs this year. 3-2, seven seconds from being 4-1, and one great hit from being 5-0. All 5 proved they belong. Just ask UNI and AppState fans.

xrolleyesx

and from what I can tell from the Fordham/UMass game, the CAA wasn't too far away from being 2-3 either.

Hofstra76
November 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Wasn't that the #10 team in the country that Delaware completely destroyed on Friday? Didn't anyone outside of the CAA see that game? They made Delaware State look like a DII team. And didn't Richmond completely dominate another team in the top 10? Come to think of it, Fordham was ranked also. Yes, those were very easy opponents. There are lot's of easy games in a 16 team national tournament.

Give me a break. The truth is the CAA teams are everyone else's worst nightmare. Ask UNI and App State how they felt about the CAA with about a minute to go in their games. I'm guessing the UNI, SI and Wofford coaches are wishing they were playing someone else Saturday regardless of what some of their fans are saying.

JMU Duke Dog
November 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM

If JMU had managed to win, then I think the Dukes would have hosted EWU this upcoming weekend. xbangx

That did not happen so good luck to everyone still in it!

BlueHen86
November 25th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Wasn't that the #10 team in the country that Delaware completely destroyed on Friday? Didn't anyone outside of the CAA see that game? They made Delaware State look like a DII team. And didn't Richmond completely dominate another team in the top 10? Come to think of it, Fordham was ranked also. Yes, those were very easy opponents. There are lot's of easy games in a 16 team national tournament.

Give me a break. The truth is the CAA teams are everyone else's worst nightmare. Ask UNI and App State how they felt about the CAA with about a minute to go in their games. I'm guessing the UNI, SI and Wofford coaches are wishing they were playing someone else Saturday regardless of what some of their fans are saying.

The amusing thing is that the same CAA haters that picked DSU to win this game are the ones bashing UD for playing a cupcake in the first round.xlolx

umassfan
November 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM
xrolleyesx

and from what I can tell from the Fordham/UMass game, the CAA wasn't too far away from being 2-3 either.

Im forgetting did Fordham really stop us all day? Were they in control of the game at any point? App won from behind and back catchup all day... UMass was in control all day...

And as for the CAA being in trouble... I can see all three CAA teams pulling the upsets on the road. UMass and SIU match up well, Delaware has an offense that can beat anyone, and Richmond has a good defense with a powerful offense that will cause trouble for Wofford. It could be 3 CAA teams in the SEMIs... then that would be trouble for the rest of the FCS.

BigApp
November 25th, 2007, 10:58 PM
The truth is the CAA teams are everyone else's worst nightmare.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Since 1980, Appalachian is 18-4 against CAA teams. Sounds like a wet dream than a 'nightmare'.

Ask UNI and App State how they felt about the CAA with about a minute to go in their games.

Come to think of it, UNI is 4-1 (all playoff games) now against CAA teams. You sure you picked the right two schools to ask that question of?? xeyebrowx

Ud1Hens
November 25th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I want to know honestly, what team in America is thankful when they look at their schedule and see that their next opponent is a CAA team in the playoffs. Those teams are battle tested and are ready for any type of game. I am not thrilled when I see a Gateway or SoCon team out there and Delaware has faired fairly well against those two leagues.

Note: This is not a bash of any sort of any team or any conference.

BigApp
November 25th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Im forgetting did Fordham really stop us all day?

I see some punts, an INT, a FUMBLE, a few 3 & outs, and a failed 4th down conversion on your drive chart, so yes, they did stop you.

What are you trying to say?

BigApp
November 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM
The amusing thing is that the same CAA haters that picked DSU to win this game are the ones bashing UD for playing a cupcake in the first round.xlolx

so, who picked DSU to win this game? xeyebrowx

umassfan
November 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I see some punts, an INT, a FUMBLE, a few 3 & outs, and a failed 4th down conversion on your drive chart, so yes, they did stop you.

What are you trying to say?

We had our school record for yardage before the knees at the end... so I cant say they stoped us. We are the Pats here scoring on every drive. Hell the INT was due to our stupid O Coord and his love of the halfback toss from the 1 yardline. Reguardless... our offense played great and our D had a semi off day. I expect our D to step up big vs SIU.

BigApp
November 25th, 2007, 11:09 PM
We had our school record for yardage before the knees at the end... so I cant say they stoped us. We are the Pats here scoring on every drive. Hell the INT was due to our stupid O Coord and his love of the halfback toss from the 1 yardline. Reguardless... our offense played great and our D had a semi off day. I expect our D to step up big vs SIU.

fair enough then! xthumbsupx

Hofstra76
November 25th, 2007, 11:17 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Since 1980, Appalachian is 18-4 against CAA teams. Sounds like a wet dream than a 'nightmare'.

Come to think of it, UNI is 4-1 (all playoff games) now against CAA teams. You sure you picked the right two schools to ask that question of?? xeyebrowx

Wow, you're right. Game results from 27 years ago will play a big role in the game Saturday. Maybe you don't have a TV but the Delaware game on Friday was a national game on ESPN and you should have watched it. UNI better not be "off" this Saturday like their fans say they were against UNH or it won't even be a game. They'll be watching Delaware's 6'6" QB move their offense and Omar Cuff standing in their endzone all day.

Ud1Hens
November 25th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Come to think of it, UNI is 4-1 (all playoff games) now against CAA teams.

That was an awfully loud 1 (37-7). Go Hens!!! ( I know, I know, different team, year, etc. etc. etc. just having some fun).

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM
xrolleyesx

and the SoCon was a couple of points and a play or two from being 0-2, as well. Who cares? The games were all great showcases for 1-AA (FCS!) football and we should all be celebrating, not engaging in one-upsmanship. App State was and still is a favorite to three-peat in 2007. However, there are 7 other great teams who seem to want to have something to say about those plans.

Good luck to all 8 remaining clubs. May the best, most resilient, most well-coached, most resilient, luckiest, .... WIN! xthumbsupx

SoCon48
November 26th, 2007, 01:01 AM

Reminder: JMU won the NC just 3 short seasons ago with ALL play-off games on the road!!!!!

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 06:07 AM
From what planet are you watching and writing, big fella?

Just the facts. Not saying UNH doesn't have a good offense, but some of the woofed teams would have played them close, too. YSU already has. (Lost by 1 after leading 3.5+ quarters). This time of year you can't be a one-dimensional team.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 06:18 AM

DSU being rated 10 says more about polls than about DSU. But, yes, the CAA is a good conference. And there were several woofed teams that were just as good and could play in the CAA easily.

stevdock
November 26th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Yeah - anyone can say what they will, but after the committee took a chance and put five CAA teams in, it would have been easy to have a letdown.

Instead, the CAA produced three wins and two very hard-fought losses in the best first round in recent memory. I think anyone would be hard-pressed to name another team that could have gone to the UNI-dome and made a better first round game against the #1 seed than UNH.

NDSU, but we'll have to wait until next year to prove itxthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
November 26th, 2007, 06:35 AM
NDSU, but we'll have to wait until next year to prove itxthumbsupx

The let's add SDSU to that list!:D

stevdock
November 26th, 2007, 06:40 AM
The let's add SDSU to that list!:D

We can add them to, I'm ok with thatxthumbsupx

th0m
November 26th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Actually, JMU is the #3 team in the CAA. You guys were the #4 based in the conf record of 5-3 as opposed to our record of 6-2.

Cobblestone
November 26th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I think after UNH's fine performance against UNI in that noisy Dome, that the CAA has already been well represented.

devilhen
November 26th, 2007, 08:36 AM
its just too bad there cant be a all-gateway final and UNI and SIU have to duke it out one more time to go to Chatty...:(

Or - Delaware can beat both of them again, just like in 2003...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 26th, 2007, 08:41 AM
This thread is so full of BS from every angle (from both sides) it makes me want to puke almost as much as the time when Mickey Matthews decided to RUN the football with 31 sec. left...

The CAA is doing just fine. The SoCon haters need to chill out. xcoolx

devilhen
November 26th, 2007, 08:41 AM
xrolleyesx

And Appy is an idiot away from watching everything at home....

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Just a few overall comments, nothing to any one individual.

- I thought we had a playoff system in the FCS so we don't have to have these rediculous arguements.

- JMU was actually the #3 team in the CAA. Not that it matters anymore, however.

- It's clear that the performances this weekend didn't sway anyone's opinions. If you already thought the CAA was overrated, you'll find ways to support that point of view; likewise if you thought the 5 teams were justified.

- If UD played such a cupcake, why did the geniuses here at AGS rank DSU #9? You can't have it both ways...

- Really disappointed to see so many people throwing JMU under the bus here. JMU came with a good game plan and dominated many aspects of the game...they had the game and lost it in the closing seconds . The better team won, but I'm really disappointed that the Dukes aren't getting more respect for that performance.

Ud1Hens
November 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM
- If UD played such a cupcake, why did the geniuses here at AGS rank DSU #9? You can't have it both ways...

That's the same thing I've been wondering. There was never a doubt in my mind that Delaware would beat Del. St. I didn't think they'd get off to a 44-0 lead but that happens. If Delaware St. was as easy as everyone has stated then why rank them in the top 20 at all? Their ranking was indeed a product of winning games and having powerhouses above them losing. With that being said, nobody made the AGSers rank them where they did.

Well said by Dukie...You can't say "cupcake" and "#9" team in the nation in the same sentence, regardless of conference. Pick one or the other but don't change your tune because Delaware made them look like a DIII school.

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM

#17 New Hampshire lost at #1 Northern Iowa on a last second TD
#12 James Madison lost at #5 Appalachian State on a last minute fumble
#7 Richmond beat #10 Eastern Kentucky in convincing fashion
#8 Massachusetts struggled a little but handled #25 Fordham
#13 Delaware destroyed #9 Delaware State from the opening kick

PLEASE explain to me where the CAA was overrated. xcoffeex

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM
That's the same thing I've been wondering. There was never a doubt in my mind that Delaware would beat Del. St. I didn't think they'd get off to a 44-0 lead but that happens. If Delaware St. was as easy as everyone has stated then why rank them in the top 20 at all? Their ranking was indeed a product of winning games and having powerhouses above them losing. With that being said, nobody made the AGSers rank them where they did.

Well said by Dukie...You can't say "cupcake" and "#9" team in the nation in the same sentence, regardless of conference. Pick one or the other but don't change your tune because Delaware made them look like a DIII school.

Everybody agrees that the MEAC isn't very strong. Who did DSU beat to earn their #9 rank? I think the game hype got to some folks who wanted to see a closer match than it ever really was.

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Everybody agrees that the MEAC isn't very strong. Who did DSU beat to earn their #9 rank?

I'd like to know that myself; but how or why DSU was ranked isn't really the point.

AGS ranked DSU #9
AGS says DU played a cupcake

Which is it?

KAUMASS
November 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
"CAA in trouble"...makes no sense at all and it's like saying Montana will be 3-9 next year. Post this thread again when UMass plays Richmond for the title in Chattanooga.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 09:45 AM
#17 New Hampshire lost at #1 Northern Iowa on a last second TD
#12 James Madison lost at #5 Appalachian State on a last minute fumble
#7 Richmond beat #10 Eastern Kentucky in convincing fashion
#8 Massachusetts struggled a little but handled #25 Fordham
#13 Delaware destroyed #9 Delaware State from the opening kick

PLEASE explain to me where the CAA was overrated. xcoffeex

The quote of mine that you quote was a quote of an ASU fan.;)

I'm on the record as saying that the CAA is a good conference. They won the games they were supposed to win and didn't get it done in the other two. Doesn't mean they're over-rated, but it doesn't mean they're the best there has ever been either. There are some woofed teams that would have represented just as well as UNH had they had one of their conferences ADs as the chairman of the selection committee. YSU for example played UNI tougher than UNH did, surrendering the lead in the middle of the 4th qtr. and losing by 1.

And UMass giving up 35 to Fordham? More than struggled a little, methinks.

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM

I'm on the record as saying that the CAA is a good conference. They won the games they were supposed to win and didn't get it done in the other two. Doesn't mean they're over-rated, but it doesn't mean they're the best there has ever been either. There are some woofed teams that would have represented just as well as UNH had they had one of their conferences ADs as the chairman of the selection committee. YSU for example played UNI tougher than UNH did, surrendering the lead in the middle of the 4th qtr. and losing by 1.

Played them tougher? How is losing to UNI on a last second TD pass less tough?

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
There are some woofed teams that would have represented just as well as UNH had they had one of their conferences ADs as the chairman of the selection committee. YSU for example played UNI tougher than UNH did, surrendering the lead in the middle of the 4th qtr. and losing by 1.
Pure speculation. There were four teams in the CAA that beat UNH worse than UNI did... what does that prove? Nothing. Saying how YSU would have done is comical at best and implying impropriety in the selection process is downright sad. xcoffeex

ChickenMan
November 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM
We will see if the Gateway.. at home.. can dominate the CAA.. as UD did to the 'best' of the Gateway in '03.. with a 41-7 thumping over SIU and 37-7 whipping of UNI.

Anyone want to take bets on anything close to that happening???

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Played them tougher? How is losing to UNI on a last second TD pass less tough?

YSU lead for 3.5 quarters and only lost by one point.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Can you name some of these "woofed" teams you keep speaking of?
YSU, GSU, Elon and The Citadel were all ineligible, even if the selection committee were made up of all Socon and/or Gateway AD's, none of those teams are in.
No 7-4 team can get "woofed". Any 7-4 team that gets in is lucky to do so, and the ones that don't have no complaints.

Barnstormer
November 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM
We will see if the Gateway.. at home.. can dominate the CAA.. as UD did to the 'best' of the Gateway in '03.. with a 41-7 thumping over SIU and 37-7 whipping of UNI.

Anyone want to take bets on anything close to that happening???

Do you get a bigger trophy if you win by a bigger margin?

ChickenMan
November 26th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Do you get a bigger trophy if you win by a bigger margin?

no.. but you do get 'bigger' trash talking rights... :p

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Pure speculation. There were four teams in the CAA that beat UNH worse than UNI did... what does that prove? Nothing. Saying how YSU would have done is comical at best and implying impropriety in the selection process is downright sad. xcoffeex

Not speculation. I pointed out what they did. Nor did I say that there was impropriety in the selection process. I would expect any AD to favor his conference in a close call. Are we pmsing this week?

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 09:56 AM
xconfusedx AFAIK they only take the score at the end of the game. UNI scored a TD with 7 seconds left to beat UNH by 3, and they scored a TD with 5 minutes to go to beat YSU by 1. I'm not really seeing a difference. xconfusedx

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Not speculation. I pointed out what they did. Nor did I say that there was impropriety in the selection process. I would expect any AD to favor his conference in a close call. Are we pmsing this week?
No, just soundly defeating morons who can't grasp simple concepts.

You ARE speculating. Tell me exactly how YSU did in the playoffs. In 2003 Northeastern beat Delaware in the regular season. Surely you're not trying to say they would have done better than SIU, UNI, Wofford and Colgate did in the playoffs, are you?

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM

So, who would a SoCon AD have favored? What about a Gateway one?

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM
xconfusedx AFAIK they only take the score at the end of the game. UNI scored a TD with 7 seconds left to beat UNH by 3, and they scored a TD with 5 minutes to go to beat YSU by 1. I'm not really seeing a difference. xconfusedx

YSU played them tough on both sides of the ball. Before you get your panties in a twist go back to page 10 where I said the CAA is a good conference. xrolleyesx Sheesh.

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM

So is it the difference between losing by 1 and 3 that makes it tougher or the fact that YSU was incapabale of maintaining their lead in the waning minues compared to a back and forth game down to the last 7 seconds?

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:07 AM
So, who would a SoCon AD have favored? What about a Gateway one?

Well, I think a SoCon AD would have leaned to GSU and a Gateway one would have leaned to YSU.

URMite
November 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Im forgetting did Fordham really stop us all day? Were they in control of the game at any point? App won from behind and back catchup all day... UMass was in control all day...

And as for the CAA being in trouble... I can see all three CAA teams pulling the upsets on the road. UMass and SIU match up well, Delaware has an offense that can beat anyone, and Richmond has a good defense with a powerful offense that will cause trouble for Wofford. It could be 3 CAA teams in the SEMIs... then that would be trouble for the rest of the FCS.

KauMass: "CAA in trouble"...makes no sense at all and it's like saying Montana will be 3-9 next year. Post this thread again when UMass plays Richmond for the title in Chattanooga.

UMassfan, I was going to kid about how you know what our team is like, but maybe KAuMass has the right idea. Everyone is complaining because we don't have a CAA championship game, so maybe we should create our own.xwhistlex

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Well, I think a SoCon AD would have leaned to GSU and a Gateway one would have leaned to YSU.

PPPPSSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!

Those two teams didn't have the 7 D.I wins to get in. If you want to argue, pick Villanova. They have a pretty good case.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM
So is it the difference between losing by 1 and 3 that makes it tougher or the fact that YSU was incapabale of maintaining their lead in the waning minues compared to a back and forth game down to the last 7 seconds?

Back and forth? How many seconds was UNH ahead for?

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 10:15 AM

They weren't eligible.xnonono2x

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:16 AM
PPPPSSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!

Those two teams didn't have the 7 D.I wins to get in. If you want to argue, pick Villanova. They have a pretty good case.

Seven D1 wins is a guideline not a rule. And yes, 'nova was badly woofed. And I'm not the one who said the CAA is in trouble. Just taking the opposing view with some foaming mouthed conference homers is all.xlolx

If Fordham can put 35 on UMass and be tied in the middle of the 4th quarter then I think teams like Dayton, Albany, and even San Diego should get a closer look. I mean. geez, look who UMass didn't have to play in their own league.

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Back and forth? How many seconds was UNH ahead for?

Sorry I didn't SEE the game, it wasn't on tv here in Baltimore. Wasn't the game tied at half 14-14? xeyebrowx

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:18 AM
They weren't eligible.xnonono2x

Not with this committee. A different one may have seen things differently, that's all.

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Seven D1 wins is a guideline not a rule. And yes, 'nova was badly woofed. And I'm not the one who said the CAA is in trouble. Just taking the opposing view with some foaming mouthed conference homers is all.xlolx

xrolleyesx I openly threw my alligence to Del State last week. No Homer here. xrolleyesx

Although I think I may root for Richmond here on out. 9-2 is awefully impressive. Who were the teams that beat them!?! xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

Kymermosst
November 26th, 2007, 10:22 AM
UMass took it easy and Fordham took advantage..

Everyone seems to forget that this is the same UMass Defense that only gave up 7 points to Santos and Company, and 3 points to Hofstra (yes, they scored 5 but you can't fault the defense for the offense taking a safety).

UMass made the mistake of relaxing and a lot of people are apparently going to be shocked when UMass shows up in full force on Saturday.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Not with this committee. A different one may have seen things differently, that's all.
So you're criticizing the committee for following the guidelines, and suggesting that a 'homer' committee that eschewed the guidelines would be better?xconfusedx

GannonFan
November 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM
UMass took it easy and Fordham took advantage..

Everyone seems to forget that this is the same UMass Defense that only gave up 7 points to Santos and Company, and 3 points to Hofstra (yes, they scored 5 but you can't fault the defense for the offense taking a safety).

UMass made the mistake of relaxing and a lot of people are apparently going to be shocked when UMass shows up in full force on Saturday.

I agree, UMass has sleptwalked through bad teams all year, and Fordham was the same way. And it was a real easy schedule for UMass this year so it happened a lot. But I think they can and do turn it on for good opponents - SIU will have their hands full on Saturday (and I don't even like UMass very much).

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM
So you're criticizing the committee for following the guidelines, and suggesting that a 'homer' committee that eschewed the guidelines would be better?xconfusedx

Nope. Just saying a different committee might have weighed balance a little heavier. Hell, the rest of us should be thankful that you didn't get six teams.

GannonFan
November 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Nope. Just saying a different committee might have weighed balance a little heavier. Hell, the rest of us should be thankful that you didn't get six teams.

Just wait until they expand the playoffs - six CAA teams could be a mimimum number then. :p

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Where's the smilie with the puzzled head turning quickly back and forth when you need one?

Let's just drop the argument, CAA friends; it's just getting silly now.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Just wait until they expand the playoffs - six CAA teams could be a mimimum number then. :p

If you didn't get passes in conference games I wouldn't have a problem with that.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 10:54 AM
If you didn't get passes in conference games I wouldn't have a problem with that.
What passes are you talking about? The more you post, the dumber you appear.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Where's the smilie with the puzzled head turning quickly back and forth when you need one?

Why don't you head on over to a nice basketball forum?xnodx

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM

The problem is Houndawg can't admit when he is wrong, and has to have the last word.
The good news is we all get to pad our post totals.xlolx

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 10:57 AM
What passes are you talking about? The more you post, the dumber you appear.

The passes like UMass got? getting AQ on a coin flip without playing some of the better teams in the CAA? Those passes? You ain't looking so bright yourself.

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM
The passes like UMass got? getting AQ on a coin flip without playing some of the better teams in the CAA? Those passes? You ain't looking so bright yourself.

So, without the coin flip, UMass would have been out?

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Who cares if they the got the AQ on a coin flip? Richmond lost the coin flip and still got an invite.
Your quickly moving into "Boogs" territory.xnutsx

whoanellie
November 26th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I'm not complaing they didnt get any home games this round. Only Richmond could make a decent case for one. I said it would be a disaster if none of the 5 teams made the semis and the 3 left are all on the road and that makes it more difficult to advance for them.

U of R could only muster 3k for their home game is not a good showing at all
plus Wofford is the SoCon Champs .... xpeacex

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM

In conference passes?

Ronin
November 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM
CAA is not in trouble, but this will be their first test across the board.

JDC325
November 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
YSU, GSU, Elon and The Citadel were all ineligible, even if the selection committee were made up of all Socon and/or Gateway AD's, none of those teams are in.
No 7-4 team can get "woofed". Any 7-4 team that gets in is lucky to do so, and the ones that don't have no complaints.

Ignorance!!! ANY team in the FCS is eligible. Not having 7 DIV I wins puts you in jeopardy of not being considered EVEN if the DIV II you beat GIVE SCHOLARSHIPS and the "DIV I" schools you played are complete jokes and do not give scholarships and would probably get there asses handed to them by most DIV II teams. The only thing that made YSU, Citadel, GSU, and Elon ineligible was a very tilted and biased nCAA selection committee.

gophoenix
November 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM

None of those teams were woofed, but all were eligible. In fact, no one in the entire FCS is ineligible outside the transition teams, Ivies and Southern/Grambling, Texas Southern and Alabama St who all had games scheduled that weekend or don't/can't participate.

I wish you guys would stop misleading with the "it is a rule" nonsense. It isn't a rule.

umassfan
November 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM
None of those teams were woofed, but all were eligible. In fact, no one in the entire FCS is ineligible outside the transition teams, Ivies and Southern/Grambling, Texas Southern and Alabama St who all had games scheduled that weekend or don't/can't participate.

I wish you guys would stop misleading with the "it is a rule" nonsense. It isn't a rule.

Its widely known that you need 7 DI wins to have a shot at the playoffs. Its not a rule per say but its still known.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM
So, without the coin flip, UMass would have been out?

I hope you're being dumb on purpose, for your parents sake. My point is there shouldn't have to be a coin flip. Of course it's entirely possible that UMass WOULD have been out if they'd had to play more than one of the other four playoff teams in the CAA. Not that it's THEIR fault, they don't make the schedule and they might well have sent UD packing along with Richmond and JMU. Hell maybe rhody would have slipped in with a couple of those breaks.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM
The only thing that made YSU, Citadel, GSU, and Elon and every other team with less than seven D-I wins ineligible was a selection committee that followed the stated guidelines.Fixed it for you.

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I hope you're being dumb on purpose, for your parents sake. My point is there shouldn't have to be a coin flip. Of course it's entirely possible that UMass WOULD have been out if they'd had to play more than one of the other four playoff teams in the CAA. Not that it's THEIR fault, they don't make the schedule and they might well have sent UD packing along with Richmond and JMU. Hell maybe rhody would have slipped in with a couple of those breaks.

No, my dumbness is completely un-intentional. I'm also too stupid to understand what you just said.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
According to most physicists, the latest "string theory" indicates that the CAA would have gotten five teams in the playoffs no matter what.
In fact, Einstein's theory of "CAA relativity" guarantees that in 2007 five CAA teams make the playoffs in all possible universes.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 11:46 AM
No, my dumbness is completely un-intentional. I'm also too stupid to understand what you just said.

Well, that is pretty stupid, but I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.

The original premise was that the CAA is in trouble with only three teams left and three road games. A premise I disagreed with many pages ago.

Most of the rest is just baiting conference homers with tidbits like the fact that you wouldn't have five teams in the playoffs if your playoff teams weren't allowed by schedule to duck each other during the regular season and you didn't have the chair of the selection committee.

I cited UMass as having it easy by getting passes (meaning they didn't have to play) against UD, UR, and JMU. If you all played each other your (collective) incessant bleating about the depth of the CAA would be more grounded in fact and not be so much fun to poke with a stick. That is all. Carry on.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM
According to most physicists, the latest "string theory" indicates that the CAA would have gotten five teams in the playoffs no matter what.
In fact, Einstein's theory of "CAA relativity" guarantees that in 2007 five CAA teams make the playoffs in all possible universes.

Good one.:D Those "most physicists" must not have heard of Garret Lisi yet. String theory may well be on the way out. Fascinating story if the subject interests you.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Well, that is pretty stupid, but I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.

The original premise was that the CAA is in trouble with only three teams left and three road games. A premise I disagreed with many pages ago.

Most of the rest is just baiting conference homers with tidbits like the fact that you wouldn't have five teams in the playoffs if your playoff teams weren't allowed by schedule to duck each other during the regular season and you didn't have the chair of the selection committee.

I cited UMass as having it easy by getting passes (meaning they didn't have to play) against UD, UR, and JMU. If you all played each other your (collective) incessant bleating about the depth of the CAA would be more grounded in fact and not be so much fun to poke with a stick. That is all. Carry on.

But you don't know that. For the CAA to play everyone in conference there would be no OOC games. That means UMass doesn't lose to BC, 'Nova doesn't lose to Maryland, etc.
If the CAA played no OOC games, the haters would cry about that instead.
The reason that the CAA got five teams in has more to do with GSU, YSA, Elon and The Citadel scheduling a non D-I game and not reaching 7 D-I wins than it does the the selection committee chair affiliation.

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
the fact that you wouldn't have five teams in the playoffs if your playoff teams weren't allowed by schedule to duck each other during the regular season and you didn't have the chair of the selection committee.
It's become painfully clear you don't understand the meaning of the word "fact". xcoolx xcoffeex

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Good one.:D Those "most physicists" must not have heard of Garret Lisi yet. String theory may well be on the way out. Fascinating story if the subject interests you.

Thanks, it does; and I will look into it.xthumbsupx

JDC325
November 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Fixed it for you.

IGNORANCE again go look it up they are NOT guidelines only mere statements being in JEOPARDY is not saying YOU ARE INELIGIBLE to me that statement leaves room for discussion about SOS and other COMMON SENSE issues. I guess common sense is not a guideline or a rule though. Hmm which team is better one that beat more ranked and playoff teams and a FULLY scholarshiped DIV II or a team that beat one ranked team and had two win over joke non scholly "DIV I" in name ONLY teams....hmmmm. xcoffeex REPEAT AFTER ME CAA HOMERS...IT IS NOT A RULE ....IT IS NOT A GUIDELINE...IT IS NOT A RULE.....IT IS NOT A GUIDELINE...IT IS NOT A RULLE.....IT IS NOT A GUIDELINE. xrulesx

EmeryZach
November 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Wow, JDC is angry

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
REPEAT AFTER ME CAA HOMERS...IT IS NOT A RULE ....IT IS NOT A GUIDELINE...
Fine. It's a PRINCIPLE. From the NCAA...

"The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;"

Oh, BTW the definition of 'guideline'...

3. guideline - a rule or principle that provides guidance to appropriate behavior

Would you like to continue to shout out your answers?

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Calm it down JDC.
So, assuming it's Iona you are referring to, throw that win out for this inane conversation.
Both teams are 6-4.
Doesn't the FBS win break that tie?

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
But you don't know that. For the CAA to play everyone in conference there would be no OOC games. That means UMass doesn't lose to BC, 'Nova doesn't lose to Maryland, etc.
If the CAA played no OOC games, the haters would cry about that instead.
The reason that the CAA got five teams in has more to do with GSU, YSA, Elon and The Citadel scheduling a non D-I game and not reaching 7 D-I wins than it does the the selection committee chair affiliation.

Fair enough, but imo, if you're not playing everyone in your conference, your conference is too big. I mean, isn't that what being a conference is all about? Playing each other and sending the best team(s) on?

Dukie95
November 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Calm it down JDC.
So, assuming it's Iona you are referring to, throw that win out for this inane conversation.
Both teams are 6-4.
Doesn't the FBS win break that tie?

No. Villanova gets in. xwhistlex

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
if you're not playing everyone in your conference, your conference is too big
I can agree with that, but it's not because of who goes to the playoffs. For me, it makes no sense to be in a conference with a team you don't face for two consecutive years. It's fine for I-A where they have championship games, but we don't. This will change soon enough. Once ODU comes on board, I'm guessing we'll have a shakeup in the CAA. xpeacex

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
IGNORANCE again go look it up they are NOT guidelines only mere statements being in JEOPARDY is not saying YOU ARE INELIGIBLE to me that statement leaves room for discussion about SOS and other COMMON SENSE issues. I guess common sense is not a guideline or a rule though. Hmm which team is better one that beat more ranked and playoff teams and a FULLY scholarshiped DIV II or a team that beat one ranked team and had two win over joke non scholly "DIV I" in name ONLY teams....hmmmm. xcoffeex REPEAT AFTER ME CAA HOMERS...IT IS NOT A RULE ....IT IS NOT A GUIDELINE...IT IS NOT A RULE.....IT IS NOT A GUIDELINE...IT IS NOT A RULLE.....IT IS NOT A GUIDELINE. xrulesx
Call it what you want, the statement wouldn't be there if it didn't have some weight.

REPEAT AFTER ME JCD: THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR...THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR...THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR...THE PRINCIPAL IS YOUR PAL.

Appstate29
November 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Just tell Sam Baker to schedule Davidson or Dayton or whoever next year and it won't be a problem. xtwocentsx xtwocentsx xtwocentsx xtwocentsx

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Fair enough, but imo, if you're not playing everyone in your conference, your conference is too big. I mean, isn't that what being a conference is all about? Playing each other and sending the best team(s) on?
I haven't though about it. You may be right. Keep in mind if the CAA splits it's possible that 6 current CAA teams get in.
This was a strange year for playoff selection. It was easy to pick the first 15 teams, the last team was tough. I think UNH and 'Nova were the top two choices. I also think that if any of the three 7-4 Socon teams or YSU had the 7 "optionally required" D-I wins they would have gotten in over UNH.

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
No. Villanova gets in. xwhistlex

xlolx

How about this, let's say team "D" has a 7-3 record vs DI including a FBS win and team "V" has a 7-4 record vs DI including a loss to a FBS school BUT a win over team "D" who gets in?

JDC325
November 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;"

Oh, BTW the definition of 'guideline'...

3. guideline - a rule or principle that provides guidance to appropriate behavior

Would you like to continue to shout out your answers?

Wow thank for being the first to ACTUALLY read the rule now forward it to all your nCAA buddies. Hmm wonder why the nCAA selection committee failed to notice that SOS is mentioned FIRST before the 7 win principle. Bottom line is non scholly team at any level should NOT be given more weight than a scholar-shipped team at any level. Please tell me all of you CAA homers are in favor of common sense.

JDC325
November 26th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Just tell Sam Baker to schedule Davidson or Dayton or whoever next year and it won't be a problem. xtwocentsx xtwocentsx xtwocentsx xtwocentsx

OH I think even Sam Baker has taken note and can comprehend the CAA way of making the playoffs now. Look out non scholly joke "DIV I" teams!!!
To bad because I would rather play a Delta State or Valdosta State than an Iona or Dartmouth. xnonono2x

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I'm in favor of ending this nonsense.

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Bottom line is non scholly team at any level should NOT be given more weight than a scholar-shipped team at any level. Please tell me all of you CAA homers are in favor of common sense.
Drake 27 - Illinois State 24
Dayton 31 - Fordham 24
San Diego 49 - Northern Colorado 13
Marist 37 - Georgetown 34

Perhaps you may want to rethink that. Seems like when you use ALL CAPS, you are shouting because your thinking it wrong. xeyebrowx

JDC325
November 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Drake 27 - Illinois State 24
Dayton 31 - Fordham 24
San Diego 49 - Northern Colorado 13
Marist 37 - Georgetown 34

Perhaps you may want to rethink that. Seems like when you use ALL CAPS, you are shouting because your thinking it wrong. xeyebrowx

Four games....wow!!! You got me....xrotatehx Man those are some powerhouse teams all consistent NC contenders on there. Thanks for setting me straight. xthumbsupx
BTW UNH did not beat any of those teams.

GannonFan
November 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Four games....wow!!! You got me....xrotatehx Man those are some powerhouse teams all consistent NC contenders on there. Thanks for setting me straight. xthumbsupx

Hey, you're the one who made the blanket statement about any scholarship team at any level. Who knew you meant only the good ones? :p

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Bottom line is non scholly team at any level should NOT be given more weight than a scholar-shipped team at any level. Please tell me all of you CAA homers are in favor of common sense.Massey Ratings:
Iona 374
West Georgia 410

Common sense bottom line:: IONA (7-4) > WEST GEORGIA (2-9)

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Your statement was false. It would be like saying any DII opponent is worse than any DI opponent. Even though the selection committee does deliniate the two, we all know that's not true either. I'm not trying to say that non-schollies are as good as scholarship programs in general, but you do have to take them on a case by case basis.

BTW, you might be interested to know that the CAA tiebreaker actually does give more points for OOC wins against scholarship teams than non-schollie. xnodx

WildCat In The Hat
November 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM

....is it nap time yet??.......Get over it already-you didn't make the playoffs...move on with your life

bench
November 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
How about this, let's say team "D" has a 7-3 record vs DI including a FBS win and team "V" has a 7-4 record vs DI including a loss to a FBS school BUT a win over team "D" who gets in?

Team D and Team V gets on separate trains headed for each other. Team D is traveling at 60 mph and has a victory over an FBS team. Team V is traveling at 45 mph and beat Team D head-to-head. The teams are 230 miles and one game in the loss column apart. How long will it take for the reader to get tired of this hypothetical?

Your example was better than mine. To answer your question, I don't know. I also don't know how a discussion about the CAA Three being on the road in the quarters turned into a debate about the committee and their selection process.

andy7171
November 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Massey Ratings:
Iona 374
West Georgia 410

xthumbsupx This should effectivly end this worn out discussion.

Tribe4SF
November 26th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I also don't know how a discussion about the CAA Three being on the road in the quarters turned into a debate about the committee and their selection process.

Because it is now, and shall forever be, impossible to mention the CAA without bringing out the "NO FIVE BID LEAGUE" whiners. That's how.:D

Tribe4SF
November 26th, 2007, 01:35 PM
xthumbsupx This should effectivly end this worn out discussion.

Not a chance, Andy...not a chance.xrotatehx

BigApp
November 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Massey Ratings:
Iona 374
West Georgia 410

Sorry, but:

West Georgia=367
Iona=387

West Georgia (2-9) > IONA (7-4)

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf

either way, it's a weak argument and Iona is in the bottom half of ALL college football teams (including all the NAIA teams). Massey rates 709 teams. 20-25 positions is only a difference of about 3% or so.

BigApp
November 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM
OH I think even Sam Baker has taken note and can comprehend the CAA way of making the playoffs now. Look out non scholly joke "DIV I" teams!!!
To bad because I would rather play a Delta State or Valdosta State than an Iona or Dartmouth. xnonono2x

just schedule Savannah State! Hell, even make it in Savannah! xthumbsupx

Then you can say you "went on the road and defeated a Division I opponent" xnodx

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Sorry, but:
West Georgia=367
Iona=387
West Georgia (2-9) > IONA (7-4)
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf
either way, it's a weak argument and Iona is in the bottom half of ALL college football teams (including all the NAIA teams). Massey rates 709 teams. 20-25 positions is only a difference of about 3% or so.Sorry, use the MOV column. The other one is based on the BCS formula which uses mainly W/L (crap). I agree that GSU has a weak argument when saying West Georgia is a better win than Iona.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks, it does; and I will look into it.xthumbsupx

I have a educated layman's interest in the subject but the math left me behind at diff eq. I saw the article in the 11/17 issue of New Scientist. Turns out the guy divides his time between surfing and snowboarding, having left academia after getting his phd because he "isn't much of a follower". Gotta love that, I hope he's right with his theory.

gophoenix
November 26th, 2007, 02:16 PM

We now have Davidson in 2009 to replace the return trip to William & Mary that we had to reschedule because of the Samford addition.

BigApp
November 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM
The other one is based on the BCS formula which uses mainly W/L (crap).

the W/L argument is what got NH in in the first place...CAA'ers may object to the term 'crap' xcoolx

I agree that GSU has a weak argument when saying West Georgia is a better win than Iona.

I was implying that using a win against EITHER of them is a weak argument.

blueballs
November 26th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Sorry, use the MOV column. The other one is based on the BCS formula which uses mainly W/L (crap). I agree that GSU has a weak argument when saying West Georgia is a better win than Iona.

But isn't that exactly the argument the committe made in reverse against GSU and the rest of the 4 loss SoCon teams by saying that they didn't have "7 D-1" wins, even though the computer rankings show the D-2's in some cases to be better wins? Or is the nCAA really that stupid as to only consider nomenclature and not the relative strengths and weaknesses of the teams?

The bottom line is this: they broke precedent in at least two ways in their selections and used flimsy at best reasoning to attempt to justify it. All these posters are doing is rightfully pointing out the flaws in it.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Out of curiousity, what was the reaction a couple of years ago when the Gateway got an unprecedented 4 bids?

unigriff
November 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM
we didnt deserve it...but i think we sure did;)

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Out of curiousity, what was the reaction a couple of years ago when the Gateway got an unprecedented 4 bids?
Skeptical prior to the first round. Somewhat vindicated after the first round. None made it to the semis.

Syntax Error
November 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Skeptical prior to the first round. Somewhat vindicated after the first round. None made it to the semis.Could be the same for the CAA this year.
2003: GFC gets 4 bids, 3 make it to the quarters, zero to the semis
2004: A-10 gets 4 bids, 4 make it to the quarters (2 played each other), 2 make it to the semis to play each other, 1 won the title
2007: CAA gets 5 bids, 3 make it to the quarters...

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Could be the same for the CAA this year
Yup, except people gave the Gateway props in 2003, most are hating the CAA this year.

URMite
November 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM

So I have a question for the people who think a different selection should have been made. Why was the above written? xconfusedx

And wasn't this released prior to this season? xconfusedx

Personally I think the seven Division I wins is a good idea but the definition of Division I for playoff selection purposes should not include any teams that play 3 or more non-division I's. That way, any team that played 10 or more "Division I" teams and won 2/3 or more of those games would be selected prior to the rest of the FCS being considered.

Of course it is still difficult to determine a criteria that is absolute in establishing the strength of an opponent. Would you rather play Dayton, Chadron, or VMI?

Does anyone else have a better means of selecting playoff teams, other than I will know a good team when I see it?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
This is all simply a debate on whether UNH deserved a bid over Georgia Southern. Let's not try to dress it up any other way. xnodx

GannonFan
November 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Yup, except people gave the Gateway props in 2003, most are hating the CAA this year.

And the funny thing is, 4 teams (UMass, Richmond, UD, and JMU) weren't even in doubt. People get all upset over the 5th team (UNH) and it's not like they disgraced themselves. And the Gateway still had a higher pecentage of teams from their conference in when they got 4 in back in '03.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
5 teams from the CAA is justified

some notes on some that did'nt make it

weak sister Northeastern beat New Hampshire 31-14...
cellar dwelling URI played Army to OT before losing and did beat UMASS in a mud wrestling contest
and of course, Hofstra manhandled SOCON Furman 32-17
Villanova can make the argument they should have been the 5th team in as they are probably better than UNH and they beat the Hens as well

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Explain that onexwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Houndawg
November 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Explain that onexwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Already did. YSU lost by one point after leading for 55 minutes. SIU game wasn't decided until AFTER the clock ran out. Not to smack UNH, they converted me, but I don't think they got UNI's A game, just as I don't think Fordham got UMass' A game. Bottom line, UNI found ways to win in all those games and that's the mark of a champion. IF we get a rematch we will beat them in the dome, no way they can play another perfect game like the first one. Plus I think the Gateway refs are afraid to flag them at home.

ERASU2113
November 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM
One thing is for sure- the road to Chattanooga goes through Boone and Spartanburg this year.

Indeed

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 26th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Indeed

Have car, will travel!

SouthernEagle02
November 26th, 2007, 09:04 PM
So we're all in agreement that after Saturday there will be no CAA teams left in the playoffs and that this years brackets demonstrated just how overhyped the CAA was?

89Hen
November 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Already did.
You mean already tried. xcoffeex

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Reading the title of this thread and many of the posts hereon it occurs to me that if the CAA is in trouble; it's because it's surrounded by idiots.:p ;)

xlolx

YoUDeeMan
November 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM

What we have here is a failure to communicate. xnodx xlolx

Hoboken Dukes
November 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM
last year i did the smart thing and didn't come back to check the site after our heartbreaker to ysu. this year wasn't as bright.

didn't realize how intense the conference debate is over here. i was happy to be oblivious to it all and focus on the success of my Dukes. i now find myself directed into full on caa brotherhood, maybe get all tat'd up and what not. someone just teach me the handshake.

lets go spiders, hens and minutemen.

oh, and jmu was sprinkled w/ some of that magic dust back in '04, winning those 4 road games in a championship that could have been mistaken for a caa conferency tourney for a while there.

as a diehard philadelphia sports fan who was 4 the last time one of our teams won a title, 2004 was a championship that was as satisfying as it was unexpected.

the magic dust wore off, last year we lost a game that we would have won in 2004.

this year more of the same. domination everywhere but the scoreboard.

i'm here to alert you all that the karma is gonna be back in 2008. it won't be another season of losing 3 games by turning the ball over while driving for winning/tying scores.

jmu is gonna smash some people up next season. home playoff games. and a run to the title.

Dukie95
November 27th, 2007, 06:58 AM
So we're all in agreement that after Saturday there will be no CAA teams left in the playoffs and that this years brackets demonstrated just how overhyped the CAA was?

It's the CAA that was overhyped? Have a look a the falling seeds.

The CAA simply had 4 of the best 8 at-large teams with 7 DI wins, nothing more. The committee still didn't think the CAA was good enough to warrant a seed.

We've debated the 7 win thing to death, so I'd rather not go over that again. But, if we assume they held to that line, the CAA teams got in, not because of hype, but because there were just no other options available to them. Sure, they could have added Norfolk State, but it seems pretty clear today that that would have been a poor choice.

By the way, Hoboken..nice meeting you Saturday at Summers. Sorry I didn't call when I got to Mr Days. I couldn't read your cell phone number once I got there. I was in such a hurry to run over to Mr. Days that I didn't write very clearly. :( They couldn't get the game anyway.

Sam Adams
November 27th, 2007, 07:43 AM
This thread is 22 pages long???

I have no complaints being on the road and being the underdog against SIU. We welcome the challenge of playing a great SIU team. I'm not worried a bit about the CAA reputation. The playoffs are first and foremost about individual teams and matchups not conference reputations. Richmond, Massachusetts and Delaware are all good teams and although none of us are seeded teams, I'm certain we will give it 110% regardless of who has homefield advantage. UNH and JMU took App and UNI to the very edge last week - they both played great games. No reason to think any of the remaining games won't be as hotly contested.

I expect more great football this weekend and may the better team win.

NovaHater
December 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM

Guess you don't have to feel so bad now.xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
December 1st, 2007, 05:56 PM
This thread is nonsense. The CAA teams represented their conference well.

93BlueHen
December 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
This thread is nonsense. The CAA teams represented their conference well.

As have the SoCon and Gateway. These threads are oh-so-pointless.

Longhorn
December 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
As have the SoCon and Gateway. These threads are oh-so-pointless.

And today's results makes your point...but today's results also point out how absurd the title to this thread was.

Congrats to UD and UR. Looking forward to an all-CAA final! xsmiley_wix

Ud1Hens
December 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Half of the final four with 3 games on the road is not bad.

93BlueHen
December 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM
Way to call out a simpleton UD1. You get your tickets to Carbondale yet?

Ud1Hens
December 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Way to call out a simpleton UD1. You get your tickets to Carbondale yet?

Can't purchase just yet but...4 exams get out of the way on Wednesday, Reading day (no classes) on Thursday, no final exams on Friday = Me in Carbondale. We can leave Thursday and return Sat. Morning...Having the game on Friday actually works out better for me since I had exams Monday of next week, thus extra study time.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2007, 10:26 PM

TAKE UH POWDER TIMMY.........UH 7-4...NEW HAMPSHIRE SQWAD......SPILT MAPLE SYRUP......ALL OVERAH....DUH NUMBER UNO TEAM...IN DUH FCS.....7 SECONDS...OVERAH CEDAR FALLS......DEN DUH 8-3...BLUEHENS.........SENT DUH PANTHER EQUIPMENT MANAGER INTA OVERAH TIME...TA-MORRAH.......JMU'S...MISGUIDED COACH COST DUH DOOKIES....UH W....ON DUH MOUNTAIN...............RICHMOND WALKED DUH DAWGGIES.....FROM DUH SO-CON.......UMA$$....ALMOST OVERAH-COME...UH SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT O' TO'S........TA QUAKE DUH SALUKIS...IN DERE SHORTS..........ALL FIVE BELONGED.......BRAWK!

HaveFunKc
December 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=Sam Adams;767571]This thread is 22 pages long???

QUOTE]

Let's see how long we can keep this going... xlolx xlolx

I say it goes over 30 pages... xeekx

ChickenMan
December 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM

Not bad...... you were only off by TWO... :p

TheValleyRaider
December 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM
I wish the Patriot League were in this much trouble....

xrotatehx

whitey
December 1st, 2007, 11:13 PM
Hey CAA Haters! How does that crow taste?

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 2nd, 2007, 12:13 AM
Yup, CAA is certainly in trouble. Actually, along with SoCon & Gateway one of 3 not in trouble after today...

BluehenJK
December 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
The CAA is the SEC of FCS football....deal with it. xrotatehx

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
2 out four finalists isnt bad - Imagine if they weren't out of itxsmiley_wix

BigApp
December 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
The CAA is the SEC of FCS football....deal with it.

http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8481.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8481.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8481.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8481.gif

Hitting the eggnog early in the holiday season I see...

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8481.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8481.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8481.gifhttp://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-8481.gif

Hitting the eggnog early in the holiday season I see...

Actually, he was restating what the ESPN commentators remarked during the broadcast yesterday.

APPST '93
December 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Joe Flacco Air-Mail Tour - Only One Date Left - Tickets Going Fast!!!
December 7 - Carbondale, IL

Fixed it for you.

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
CAA is in trouble because we are going to try to steal JMU to join up with us!!!!

JMU is exactly the type of opponent we are proud to compete with on a long term basis!

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
CAA is in trouble because we are going to try to steal JMU to join up with us!!!!

JMU is exactly the type of opponent we are proud to compete with on a long term basis!

Ok then -Guess they will replace GSU who as I hear it is on their way into the Big East in 4 years. xlolx xlolx

Appdad
December 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Ok then -Guess they will replace GSU who as I hear it is on their way into the Big East in 4 years. xlolx xlolx

I think you will see serious talks involving JMU, ASU and GSU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM

You can have JMU, but we're taking Wofford in return. Good folks in Spartansburg! xthumbsupx

UNHFan99
December 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
The CAA has been the best no question. The Socon is three teams deep. The CAA is 7 deep at least if not 10.

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
You can have JMU, but we're taking Wofford in return. Good folks in Spartansburg! xthumbsupx

Sounds like fightin words now!-By the way Good luck to the Spiders going forward in the playoffs.xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM

It's much more likey that ASU would jump to the CAA..

Mountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
It's much more likey that ASU would jump to the CAA..

One can dream...... xnodx

Dukie95
December 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM

Not gonna happen. Our student population comes from all the current CAA football states: VA, PA, NJ, NY, MD, Mass. We just don't seem to draw students from the south. While at JMU, I honestly knew more people from Rhode Island (3) than North Carolina (1).

The JMU community just doesn't feel a bond with southern schools, alumni wouldn't be able to see the Dukes on the road...we wouldn't be happy in the SoCon.

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2007, 08:13 AM
The CAA has been the best no question. The Socon is three teams deep. The CAA is 7 deep at least if not 10.

If by "deep" you mean "decent", I'll give you the 7. But 10? Come ONNNN. You'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel with teams like 4-7 Maine and Bill & Hillary, plus a 3-8 team thrown in for good measure.

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Not gonna happen. Our student population comes from all the current CAA football states: VA, PA, NJ, NY, MD, Mass. We just don't seem to draw students from the south. While at JMU, I honestly knew more people from Rhode Island (3) than North Carolina (1).

The JMU community just doesn't feel a bond with southern schools, alumni wouldn't be able to see the Dukes on the road...we wouldn't be happy in the SoCon.

I'd have to agree with this. Even though I'm in SoCon territory and would LOVE for the Dukes to come down this way more often, most of our alums are north of Harrisonburg. Plus, I think there's a lot of people in the athletic department that would prefer the CAA over the SoCon in other sports. (Particularly men's and women's "basketball." I put that in quotes because our men's team throws the term around loosely).

Having said that, I think it's interesting that our FBS opponents the past two years are UNC and Duke.

Appdad
December 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Not gonna happen

Gish, I was just trying to pay a complement.

Sorry...xconfusedx

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
If by "deep" you mean "decent", I'll give you the 7. But 10? Come ONNNN. You'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel with teams like 4-7 Maine and Bill & Hillary, plus a 3-8 team thrown in for good measure.
Agreed. Nova and Hofstra plus the 5 that made the field, so 7 is the number.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
You could put almost any team from the CAA and they could do well..
I think my Villanova wildcats would still be in it..

jmu_duke07
December 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
So... how is the CAA in trouble if this is the case...

Percentage of CAA in the playoffs per round

1st Round = 5/16 = 31.25%
2nd Round = 3/8 = 37.5 %
3rd Round = 2/4 = 50%
FINAL Round = 2/2 = 100% (Speculation)

How is the CAA falling apart if the percentage of teams keeps rising per round?

Just wanted to put the final nail in the coffin for this thread... and who ever started this thread or supported it can now bite your tongue xazzx !

Spider
December 4th, 2007, 03:40 PM
You could put almost any team from the CAA and they could do well..
I think my Villanova wildcats would still be in it..
i agree, they played very well this year.....

Saluki_man
December 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
FINAL Round = 2/2 = 100% (Speculation)

Both teams have very difficult road games this week, but if that would happen I would be greatly surprised.

appfan2008
December 4th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Both teams have very difficult road games this week, but if that would happen I would be greatly surprised.

I would also be extremely surprised if both win...

MacThor
December 7th, 2007, 08:01 AM
If you can't win a tough road game you don't deserve to be the champion.

Maybe someday Appalachian State will play a road game! xeyebrowx

th0m
December 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM

While this is true, I think most JMU fans recognize a good matchup when they see one, and JMU fans know ASU, GSU and Furman are good matchups. The same is true for Wofford of course, but I don't think they're as well known.