PDA

View Full Version : CAA is in trouble

Pages : 1 [2]

D1scout
December 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM
You could put almost any team from the CAA and they could do well..
I think my Villanova wildcats would still be in it..

I agree with you on this one. I watched the Wildcats play the Minutemen and came away with the impression that Villanova was the better Team. Not the more talented team but the better playing team. The game could have gone either way with the exception of one play more for UMass.

MacThor
December 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
The CAA South was obviously stronger than the CAA North this year; I found it surprising they had to flip a coin for the AQ.

NYJMUSupporter
December 7th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I would love to see App State have to play a road game in the playoffs for once! It sucks that JMU has to go 10-1 every year inorder to avoid getting sent to play on the road against a contender. The current setup benefits certain teams. App state and Montana more than anyone!

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I would love to see App State have to play a road game in the playoffs for once! It sucks that JMU has to go 10-1 every year inorder to avoid getting sent to play on the road against a contender. The current setup benefits certain teams. App state and Montana more than anyone!

You do realize that the "current setup" had App traveling to McNeese and Montana, correct? Granted this year they had some help, but you can't fault a top seeded team getting home field advantage in 2005 and 2006.

ChickenMan
December 7th, 2007, 11:07 AM

I agree that JMU.. in particular.. has really gotten the short end of the stick relative to 'home' playoff games.. JMU has played only 2 at home vs 10 on the road.. by comparision after tonight.. ASU will haved played 19 at home vs 10 on the road. But to be fair.. 6 of those 19 home games came '05 & '06 when ASU was highly seeded and 3 more came this year when both seeded teams in ASU's bracket (Montana & McNeese) went down in 1st round games.

tralfangar
December 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I agree that JMU.. in particular.. has really gotten the short end of the stick relative to 'home' playoff games.. JMU has played only 2 at home vs 10 on the road.. by comparision after tonight.. ASU will haved played 19 at home vs 10 on the road. But to be fair.. 6 of those 19 home games came '05 & '06 when ASU was highly seeded and 3 more came this year when both seeded teams in ASU's bracket (Montana & McNeese) went down in 1st round games.

Essentially what ChickenMan is trying to say is, we've more than paid our dues over the years. These last three years have been retribution for the beating we took in the playoffs for a decade and a half prior. xthumbsupx

LacesOut
December 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I would love to see App State have to play a road game in the playoffs for once!

And I would love to see JMU get a home game or two for once! Are they not bidding enough or something for the first round games?

I just don't understand how a good team like them with very very good facilities, field, stadium, etc, a good home crowd, seems to never play a home playoff game.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM
And I would love to see JMU get a home game or two for once! Are they not bidding enough or something for the first round games?

I just don't understand how a good team like them with very very good facilities, field, stadium, etc, a good home crowd, seems to never play a home playoff game.

You gotta think it's the bidding. I think JMU might suffer in that regard for the first round - a good 1/3 of their normal turnout is students, so that must really kill them when it comes to projections since they aren't there first round. If JMU was a bigger bidder, you could've seen EKU go to Appy St this year and maybe Wofford come up to JMU (and Richmond out to Montana). It almost seems like even Richmond is outbidding them.

URMite
December 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
You gotta think it's the bidding. I think JMU might suffer in that regard for the first round - a good 1/3 of their normal turnout is students, so that must really kill them when it comes to projections since they aren't there first round. If JMU was a bigger bidder, you could've seen EKU go to Appy St this year and maybe Wofford come up to JMU (and Richmond out to Montana). It almost seems like even Richmond is outbidding them.

I think we are bidding about equal to 12k in attendance even if our actual attendance isn't showing it. JMU seems to be bidding equal to about 10k in attendance, even though their regular season is higher than that.

Other than the obvious - Montana, ASU, UD, GSU, McNeese, we seem to always make a competitive bid. We were told our Wofford bid were comparable but lost out on "other factors".

Are we sure whether matchups are determined before or after the commitee looks at the bids? Or do they look at the highest bidder, find all the "bus" teams available and then send the lowest bidder to the highest?

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM

I agree it's the bidding, but I don't think that 1/3 of our normal turnout is students. I don't think we have 5,000 students coming to the games, but I could be wrong.

I think our admin. clams up when it comes to bid time because they're not sure about the dedication of the fan base. With our fairly recent success they don't think that a lot of people would travel to Harrisonburg over the holiday weekend and bid low.

Incidentally, what happens if you don't meet your bid?? I would assume that you have to payout whatever deficiency is not met from your pocket.

MacThor
December 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I had no problem with Wofford getting the home game last week, as Southern co-champs and AQ they deserved a home game, esp after traveling to Montana.

I think if UR had really bid for it, they could have mad a case for a home game this week. Given the historic nature, student and local alumni turnout would be strong. ASU travels a lot better than UR, so the visiting stands would be packed too.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Are we sure whether matchups are determined before or after the commitee looks at the bids? Or do they look at the highest bidder, find all the "bus" teams available and then send the lowest bidder to the highest?

The committee is never clear about that, although they allude that the matchups are set first and then they look at the bids. But you never see the big attendance teams line up against each other in the first round. And you never seem to have an at large team with weak attendance be matched up and at home against an even weaker attendance team. I'm sure it comes into play some when they decide matchups.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I agree it's the bidding, but I don't think that 1/3 of our normal turnout is students. I don't think we have 5,000 students coming to the games, but I could be wrong.

Just pulling that number from previous posts by other JMU people - obviously not an unbiased source so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure, though, JMU gets more student support than probably any other CAA school.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Just pulling that number from previous posts by other JMU people - obviously not an unbiased source so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure, though, JMU gets more student support than probably any other CAA school.

Yea, we have a lot of student support, I just don't see a third of the stadium being students when I go to games...They take up about two sections out of 15 or so.

When you say more student support, are you talking sheer numbers or as a percentage of the student body?? Outside of Richmond and W&M, I'm not sure of enrollment numbers at other schools...I will say that I enjoy the support of the students, but their behavior is less than desirable...

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Yea, we have a lot of student support, I just don't see a third of the stadium being students when I go to games...They take up about two sections out of 15 or so.

When you say more student support, are you talking sheer numbers or as a percentage of the student body?? Outside of Richmond and W&M, I'm not sure of enrollment numbers at other schools...I will say that I enjoy the support of the students, but their behavior is less than desirable...

Wait, you're telling me that message boards are not entirely factual??? xlolx

I was talking just sheer number, not a percentage. And yes, JMU has not been a very well behaved student crowd as of late - almost Maryland-esque. But hey, they're at least there - you can always work on the behavior later.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Wait, you're telling me that message boards are not entirely factual??? xlolx
I was talking just sheer number, not a percentage. And yes, JMU has not been a very well behaved student crowd as of late - almost Maryland-esque. But hey, they're at least there - you can always work on the behavior later.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

I just found that out myself!!

I'll have to say that the students @ the ASU game were fairly well behaved (granted these are probably the dedicated students that cheer FOR the football team instead of AGAINST the other team.) The only borderline incident was that after every time ASU scored a TD or FG, they would chant "U.S.A...U.S.A." (We were seing the back of the App flags as they ran across the field.)

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Speaking of the App St. game...I sat between the students and the band...I did not see or hear anything that would say the JMU fans are less than desirable.....Of course, my JMU season tickets are on the opposite side of the field from the students so I really can't comment on their behavior.....I'm sure every school has their issues.

Question: Are bids made public? Also, how is the home team determined once seeded teams are out of the playoffs?

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Speaking of the App St. game...I sat between the students and the band...I did not see or hear anything that would say the JMU fans are less than desirable.....Of course, my JMU season tickets are on the opposite side of the field from the students so I really can't comment on their behavior.....I'm sure every school has their issues.

Question: Are bids made public? Also, how is the home team determined once seeded teams are out of the playoffs?

I was in the same section (sitting in front of A. Moats family). I would agree.

But, I've been in the student section in Harrisonburg and it's not good. I'm embarrassed as a fan at times. I think it's worse than a lot of other schools. I sat in the W&M student section for the second half of our game this year and it's nothing like JMU. Every school has their issues, but our bad apples are really bad, IMO.

Cranium716
December 8th, 2007, 07:26 PM
So... how is the CAA in trouble if this is the case...

Percentage of CAA in the playoffs per round

1st Round = 5/16 = 31.25%
2nd Round = 3/8 = 37.5 %
3rd Round = 2/4 = 50%
FINAL Round = 2/2 = 100% (Speculation)

How is the CAA falling apart if the percentage of teams keeps rising per round?

Just wanted to put the final nail in the coffin for this thread... and who ever started this thread or supported it can now bite your tongue xazzx !

1st Round = 5/16 = 31.25%
2nd Round = 3/8 = 37.5 %
3rd Round = 2/4 = 50%
FINAL Round = 1/2 = 50%

Yeah, the CAA's in HUGE trouble! Just had to come back and laugh at this thread once more...xlolx xlolx xlolx

Monarch History
December 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM
because none of the 3 teams left have a home game in the quaterfinals. That could be a huge difference and increases the chance of no CAA teams in the semi finals. If that does happen it would be disasterous for the CAA who got 5 bids if none made the semis. I'd feel a lot better if 1 or 2 of the teams were at home but all 3 on the road !!! Geeze !

After two weeks I still get a kick out of this thread.xlolx

AZGrizFan
December 9th, 2007, 11:43 AM
After two weeks I still get a kick out of this thread.xlolx

Yep. With fully a third of the field from one conference, I'd have bet the HOUSE that one would make the finals. And whaddayaknow? Shazaam! Viola! Magic! Whodathunkit??? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

CharlestonAppFan
December 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Yep. With fully a third of the field from one conference, I'd have bet the HOUSE that one would make the finals. And whaddayaknow? Shazaam! Viola! Magic! Whodathunkit??? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

AZGriz....just wanted to say thanks for selecting your helmets for your avatar xnodx each week. We're 2-0 when you select our opponents; and now you have Delaware's helmet. Thanks buddy :D xnodx xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
December 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
AZGriz....just wanted to say thanks for selecting your helmets for your avatar xnodx each week. We're 2-0 when you select our opponents; and now you have Delaware's helmet. Thanks buddy :D xnodx xthumbsupx

I wondered if anyone would notice that. Kudos to you. xthumbsupx But YOU are not 2-0 against my opponents. Your CONFERENCE might be, but YOU are not.

And go Hens!!!!

Appaholic
December 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
But YOU are not 2-0 against my opponents. Your CONFERENCE might be, but YOU are not.

Ah yes....you are correct.....however, we are 2-0 in final games......nice helmet....xsmiley_wix

CharlestonAppFan
December 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I wondered if anyone would notice that. Kudos to you. xthumbsupx But YOU are not 2-0 against my opponents. Your CONFERENCE might be, but YOU are not.

I was hoping we would actually get play Montana this year; I was all set to come out there and see what life was like and drink a beer with all of you guys. An ASU & Montana game will come soon enough though....give it enough time and maybe WE will be 1-1 in the near future xthumbsupx

BTW, what's your final score prediction? I referenced you and your glorious stadium last week in my "Official Semi-Finals Prediction" thread, but I don't think you got a chance to read it. xpeacex