PDA

View Full Version : MVFC 2016 Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

IBleedYellow
January 14th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Presented by Caseys General Store. Caseys - Famous for Pizza.

http://www.trilixgroup.com/upl/images/journal/slider/large-5357e8632fe5f93fca1eb.jpg

Alright boys. 2015 has come and gone. We're now in 2016.

I see NDSU and UNI duking it out like normal. The fact Stick has already been able to beat UNI in Fargo once doesn't calm my nerves one bit. That game already has me nervous as ever. Especially considering what UNI did to Carson his first time there.

Also can someone tell me which east schools are now off rotation for the West schools and how it works?

Thus is going to be a great year!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
January 14th, 2016, 10:00 AM
WIU & YSU
ISUB & SDSU
SIU & NDSU
USD & MSU
ISU & UNI

Also, Nielson will have 4-straight years of not facing Missouri State. Last two years at WIU, next two at USD.

Twentysix
January 14th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Should be a great season

UNI and NDSU seem like the obvious 1 and 2. However it shakes out, I think we see NDSU making at least the semi's.

DAY
DATE

OPPONENT
TV
DETAILS

Sat.
9/3/2016

OPEN

TBA

Details

Sat.
9/10/2016

Eastern Washington (Win)
Fargo, N.D.
TBA

Details

Sat.
9/17/2016

Iowa (Win/Loss)
Iowa City, Iowa
TBA

Details

Sat.
10/1/2016
Illinois State (Homecoming) (Win)
Fargo, N.D.
TBA

Details

Sat.
10/8/2016
Missouri State (Win)
Springfield, Mo.
TBA

Details

Sat.
10/15/2016
South Dakota State (Dakota Marker) (Win/Loss)
Fargo, N.D.
TBA

Details

Sat.
10/22/2016
Western Illinois (Win)
Macomb, Ill.
TBA

Details

Sat.
10/29/2016
Northern Iowa (Win/Loss)
Cedar Falls, Iowa
TBA

Details

Sat.
11/5/2016
Youngstown State (Harvest Bowl) (Win)
Fargo, N.D.
TBA

Details

Sat.
11/12/2016
Indiana State (Win)
Fargo, N.D.
TBA

Details

Sat.
11/19/2016
South Dakota (Win/Loss)
Vermillion, S.D.
TBA

Details

Who will fill the final game? The schedule as it stands looks like somewhere between 10-0 and 6-4.

BisonFan02
January 14th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Presented by Caseys General Store. Caseys - Famous for Pizza.

Alright boys. 2015 has come and gone. We're now in 2016.

I see NDSU and UNI duking it out like normal. The fact Stick has already been able to beat UNI in Fargo once doesn't calm my nerves one bit. That game already has me nervous as ever. Especially considering what UNI did to Carson his first time there.

Also can someone tell me which east schools are now off rotation for the West schools and how it works?

Thus is going to be a great year!

Am I an asshole for thinking, before I even opened this thread, that I was going to post "you forgot to add: Sponsored by Casey's General Store in the thread title"......I think I am. xlolx

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 01:13 PM
This needs to be added as the first thing in the OP

http://www.trilixgroup.com/upl/images/journal/slider/large-5357e8632fe5f93fca1eb.jpg

Professor Chaos
January 14th, 2016, 01:13 PM
This is my contribution to this thread:

http://iowafoodandfamily.com/sites/default/files/JMJ%20Casey%27s-5.jpg

BisonFan02
January 14th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Also, OOC is going to be key...especially the FCS matchups. I don't think the Bison could survive two OOC losses if they plan on getting home field in the postseason again.

Bison56
January 14th, 2016, 01:24 PM

OMG xholyx

achrist70
January 14th, 2016, 01:24 PM
UNI has a far more favorable schedule this year compared to last, if we can get consistent QB play and if our secondary develops we could be pretty good. Losing/Firing our O coordinator will not help the offense though.

BisonFan02
January 14th, 2016, 01:29 PM
UNI has a far more favorable schedule this year compared to last, if we can get consistent QB play and if our secondary develops we could be pretty good. Losing/Firing our O coordinator will not help the offense though.

Ummmmmm..............are you sure?

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Ummmmmm..............are you sure?

Certainly isn't going to hurt, especially if Bill Salmon gets ot

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Now I want some breakfast pizza and Bison football.

Yote 53
January 14th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Breakfast pizza you can get tomorrow morning. College football you will need to wait until next September. At least you have the first thing to hold you over until you get to the second.

Yote 53
January 14th, 2016, 03:06 PM
It would only be appropriate for the league office to seek out some sort of corporate partnership. I'm thinking of something like sponsorship of MVFC weekly awards such as, The Casey's Pizza MVFC Offensive Player of the Week. I usually abhor corporate sponsorship but that is something I could get on board with.

centennial
January 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Consistent QB play from UNI?

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Consistent QB play from UNI?
Hasn't happened since Pat Grace

centennial
January 14th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Hasn't happened since Pat Grace
I think you would be fine with a good pocket passer with some scrambling abilities. Instead you have a good P5 RB that throws. Where the hell is your QB coach?

http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?path=football#coaches_anchor

This is NDSU's, he has NFL experience- http://www.gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=877&path=football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv_btmNNfi4

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I think you would be fine with a good pocket passer with some scrambling abilities. Instead you have a good P5 RB that throws. Where the hell is your QB coach?

http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?path=football#coaches_anchor

This is NDSU's, he has NFL experience- http://www.gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=877&path=football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv_btmNNfi4
It was Mario Verduzco until this past year and this past year it was Joe Davis...

Depending what direction Farley takes (i.e. if Terry Allen wants to continue to coach) it will go to Bill Salmon - played QB at UNI - and a new RB coach will be hired/assigned to Ryan Mahaffey.

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 03:37 PM
This is Mario's MSU bio

Mario Verduzco, who will work with the Bears' quarterbacks, comes to Missouri State after spending 14 years on the staff of Missouri Valley Football Conference power UNI, including the last seven as co-offensive coordinator. During his time in Cedar Falls, Verduzco helped the Panthers claim six Valley titles and make eight NCAA Division I FCS postseason appearances, while mentoring seven different UNI signal-callers who earned all-conference recognition a total of 13 occasions. Five of those honorees were selected as league freshman or newcomer of the year, and Eric Sanders was a 2007 Walter Payton Award finalist and the MVFC's Offensive Player of the Year.
Before joining the UNI staff, Verduzco served as quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator at Rutgers, where he worked with Steckel on head coach Terry Shea's staff from 1996-2000. During his time with the Scarlet Knights, Verduzco developed what has been called one of the top quarterback clinics in the nation. Two of his pupils - Rutgers' Mike McMahon and UNI's Tom Petrie - have gone on to play professionally in the NFL. Previously, Verduzco coached high school football at Soquel (Calif.) High School for 10 years before breaking into the collegiate ranks at Gavilan College and San Jose State, where he earned a bachelor's degree in human performance in 1988 and a master's degree in biomechanics and exercise physiology two years later. The Pittsburg, Calif., native then moved on to De Anza College, where he spent a total of five years -the final two as head coach - before heading east to Rutgers.

Notice he took over the offense in 2009....notice when we started having QB issues with picking a style of play/qb - 2010. That's not a coincidence I don't believe.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2016, 04:04 PM

I'll take bacon and eggs on my grandfather's iron skillet over that any day!!!

xnodx

RootinFerDukes
January 14th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Okay. I'm using tapatalk and I see this yummy looking pizza from a place called casey's. Is this a famous place in Fargo that I should seek out if I'm ever there for some reason?

IBleedYellow
January 14th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Okay. I'm using tapatalk and I see this yummy looking pizza from a place called casey's. Is this a famous place in Fargo that I should seek out if I'm ever there for some reason?

Anywhere in the upper Midwest. https://www.caseys.com/

Also, you get their breakfast pizza. Trust us.

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 08:50 PM
It started in Iowa. It's an Iowa thing

ST_Lawson
January 14th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Anywhere in the upper Midwest. https://www.caseys.com/

Also, you get their breakfast pizza. Trust us.

And didn't we decide that there's a Casey's within a couple of miles of every MVFC school except Youngstown?

clenz
January 14th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Yep.

BisonFan02
January 14th, 2016, 09:33 PM
And didn't we decide that there's a Casey's within a couple of miles of every MVFC school except Youngstown?

.............and you know what that means.....

ST_Lawson
January 14th, 2016, 09:38 PM
.............and you know what that means.....

Penguins...you've been cut.

gumby013
January 14th, 2016, 09:49 PM
It's like the SEC and Waffle House; where Texas A&M is the only school to not have one hear campus.

Bisonoline
January 14th, 2016, 11:34 PM

Its a gas station.

RootinFerDukes
January 15th, 2016, 05:37 AM
Its a gas station.

Yeah I'm realizing that after looking at their site. It seems similar to sheetz and wawa in the mid-Atlantic area.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 15th, 2016, 06:57 AM
My early projection for '16 placing: Posted this in the '15 thread but might as well here also

NDSU
UNI
YSU
SDSU
Ill State
SIU
USD
WIU
Ind State
MSU

NDSU and UNI will be the top 2 in the league with the edge to UNI because they have NDSU at home this year. I also think YSU and SDSU are good enough teams to make the playoffs in '16, both have a lot of good players coming back. Ill State might be a playoff team but the losses of Roberson and Coprich are big. Maybe they will prove me wrong but I do not think they are a playoff team.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I know I've mentioned this before, and it might go better in the scheduling thread...

UNI fans have long felt the conference punished them for playing in a dome and forcing them into playing almost all road games early in the conference, and almost never open conference plat at home. It happened again this year so I thought I'd check to see if the same thing was happening to NDSU and USD. Turns out, no

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q340/unipanthers10/schedules_zpsqfhy48fh.png

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 15th, 2016, 11:11 AM
clenz:

You could also say that UNI has more home games at the back end of their conference schedule which would help if they are making a playoff push.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 11:43 AM
clenz:

You could also say that UNI has more home games at the back end of their conference schedule which would help if they are making a playoff push.
It also puts UNI in a hole to start the conference season.

Road games are incredibly difficult to win in general, especially in conference. Getting put in a situation like that from the very start, year after year, is just tough to see. Especially when other teams in the conference aren't also seeing that same deal.

Winterborn
January 15th, 2016, 12:02 PM

Road games are incredibly difficult to win in general, especially in conference. Getting put in a situation like that from the very start, year after year, is just tough to see. Especially when other teams in the conference aren't also seeing that same deal.

Maybe it is related to the density of Casey's pizza stores to ones college? :D

Schism55
January 15th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I think 2nd in the conference is for the taking now with McMakin leaving UNI (WTF is he doing?)
NDSU is loaded. Good luck rest of the conference with the Bison D. Tanguay and Deluca are going to be ruining a lot of Saturdays.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Ryan Mahaffey has been name WR coach and co-OC.

He played during the "prime" years of the UNI offense. Power run game and deep routes to take the top off. Seems to me that's what we are going to see UNI do.

Also on that same note, almost every WR I've seen commit to UNI the last week or so have been 6'2 or taller.

BisonFan02
January 15th, 2016, 01:15 PM

He played during the "prime" years of the UNI offense. Power run game and deep routes to take the top off. Seems to me that's what we are going to see UNI do.

Also on that same note, almost every WR I've seen commit to UNI the last week or so have been 6'2 or taller.

That's nice....keep recruiting QBs like Bailey and it won't matter. :D

UNIFanSince1983
January 15th, 2016, 01:21 PM

We do have at least one QB on the roster who can get them the ball. Who knows if he will play this year or not though.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 01:21 PM
You've seen how much Bailey over throws, right?

Height will help

IBleedYellow
January 15th, 2016, 01:24 PM
You've seen how much Bailey over throws, right?

Height will help
3 feet verticals will help.

iowastatebison
January 15th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I know I've mentioned this before, and it might go better in the scheduling thread...

UNI fans have long felt the conference punished them for playing in a dome and forcing them into playing almost all road games early in the conference, and almost never open conference plat at home. It happened again this year so I thought I'd check to see if the same thing was happening to NDSU and USD. Turns out, no

clenz, I know you are a numbers guy, so I ran the probabilities of this UNI scheduling happening.

If we were to test the hypothesis that the conference is punishing UNI, we would say there is some evidence of this if the following probabilities were less than .05.

The probability of starting conference play on the road in 6 of 8 years is .109
The probability of starting conference play on the road in 8 of 10 years is .044

These next probabilities were found through simulation:

The probability of starting a majority of your conference games on the road (3 of 5, 2 of 4, and, 2 of 3) for eight consecutive years is estimated to be .095.
The probability of starting a majority of your conference games on the road (3 of 5, 2 of 4, and, 2 of 3) for ten consecutive years is estimated to be .064.

The probability of schedules similar to Northern Iowa schedule (majority road games through 3-5 games in at least seven of eight years, and a split after four games in at most one year) is estimated to be .062.

So I would say that is this trend continues through 2018, there is evidence that the conference doesn't want UNI playing conference games at home early in the season.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 01:43 PM

To expand on this

Road teams were 19-21 in conference play this year. That includes MSU going 0-8 in conference and one week were the bottom 5 hosted the top 5 and the top 5 all won.

Best I can tell from rough math going back about a decade road teams win about 40-43% of the time in MVFC play. If you start by playing a round average of 66-75% of your first half of you conference schedule on the road it creates a rough start to a season year after year.

It'd be one thing if it happened every so often, but that's a decade straight.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 01:47 PM
clenz, I know you are a numbers guy, so I ran the probabilities of this UNI scheduling happening.

If we were to test the hypothesis that the conference is punishing UNI, we would say there is some evidence of this if the following probabilities were less than .05.

The probability of starting conference play on the road in 8 of 10 years is .044

The probability of starting a majority of your conference games on the road (3 of 5, 2 of 4, and, 2 of 3) for eight consecutive years is estimated to be .095.
The probability of starting a majority of your conference games on the road (3 of 5, 2 of 4, and, 2 of 3) for ten consecutive years is estimated to be .064.

The probability of schedules similar to Northern Iowa schedule (majority road games through 3-5 games in at least seven of eight years, and a split after four games in at most one year) is estimated to be .062.

So I would say that is this trend continues through 2018, there is evidence that the conference doesn't want UNI playing conference games at home early in the season.
Based on that, and how it seems to only happen to UNI on a regular basis there has to be some sort of "force" at play beyond just coincidence, does it not?

Maybe Farley requests that, but I'd doubt it.

Bisonator
January 15th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Based on that, and how it seems to only happen to UNI on a regular basis there has to be some sort of "force" at play beyond just coincidence, does it not?

What are Iowa and Iowa States schedules like? Any correlation there? Maybe UNI tries to schedule home games when they are away? Just spit balling.

gotts
January 15th, 2016, 02:06 PM
To expand on this

Road teams were 19-21 in conference play this year. That includes MSU going 0-8 in conference and one week were the bottom 5 hosted the top 5 and the top 5 all won.

Best I can tell from rough math going back about a decade road teams win about 40-43% of the time in MVFC play. If you start by playing a round average of 66-75% of your first half of you conference schedule on the road it creates a rough start to a season year after year.

It'd be one thing if it happened every so often, but that's a decade straight.

Wouldn't MSU only be 0-4 in conference on the road?

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 02:07 PM
What are Iowa and Iowa States schedules like? Any correlation there? Maybe UNI tries to schedule home games when they are away? Just spit balling.
The conference sets the schedule.

Iowa plays all home games, unless dictated by ESPN, at 11AM. That has no impact. The day that UNI would try to avoid a home game on, when possible is Cy-Hawk day - OOC portion of the schedule.

Iowa State doesn't matter.

BisonTru
January 15th, 2016, 02:07 PM

It would make sense to push a few more home games towards UNI, NDSU, and USD in November since they play in Domes that don't suffer attendance wise by weather as much, maybe MSU could be included in that group. However, it seems NDSU's schedule is pretty balanced.

Who knows? We're (NDSU) are probably paying somebody off, kinda what we do. :D

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Wouldn't MSU only be 0-4 in conference on the road?
They were also 0-4 at home.

Realistically, I could have put 15-17 and just said to leave MSU off

iowastatebison
January 15th, 2016, 02:23 PM

I could see these results happening and being a coincidence if a computer algorithm was used to create the schedules. I would be even more convinced that a computer algorithm is used if there was a MVFC team that has the reverse of UNI, started the season at home instead of on the road. If a computer algorithm isn't used, we are only two more years away from getting statistically significant evidence.

iowastatebison
January 15th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Iowa State doesn't matter.

Ouch.

I know it is true, but it still hurts to see it written.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 15th, 2016, 02:28 PM
To me it doesn't matter when the games are. If you are good enough to make the playoffs, more times than not you will. You have to win on the road in this conference.

NDSU has lost more games at home in conference than on the road the last few years.

This year UNI got their "murderer's row" out of the way right away and got some winnable games at home to end the year to keep their momentum going into a nice playoff run.

Hold serve at home and win a couple on the road.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 15th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Clenz you could also say it helps UNI. If you struggle early the team has traditionally come together and played playoff football 6 weeks early priming the team for the run. If they do well they set themselves up for a great seed. I love UNI's scheduling great competition in ooc and not making their road the easiest. They have been playing very well the last several years going into the playoffs.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Ouch.

I know it is true, but it still hurts to see it written.
In the grand scheme of the state of Iowa, neither does UNI.

However, when it comes to scheduling dates/times for OOC play Iowa State doesn't matter to UNI other than the Cy-Hawk game. Iowa State isn't going to host an OOC game that is going to be big enough to draw fans out of Cedar Falls, and keep people in Ames that normally got to Cedar Falls, that they wouldn't already.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Clenz you could also say it helps UNI. If you struggle early the team has traditionally come together and played playoff football 6 weeks early priming the team for the run. If they do well they set themselves up for a great seed. I love UNI's scheduling great competition in ooc and not making their road the easiest. They have been playing very well the last several years going into the playoffs.
The OOC isn't there issue. I've posted the record before, but don't remember it. If I'm not mistaken UNI hasn't lost an FCS OOC game since 2010 (home vs SFA) and haven't lost a road OOC game since 1997.

Losing OOC games for UNI just simply doesn't happen often.

I think since 09UNI is something like 24+/- couple and 1 in OOC play.

It's just pretty damn tough to start conference play with being on the road 68% of the first half of the conference schedule year after year.

I'd love to see a year UNI goes 2-0 FCS OOC and gets to start with 3 of 5 conference games at home. Win the home games and split the two road games and UNI is 6-2 in week 8...not 4-4

ST_Lawson
January 15th, 2016, 03:38 PM
This year UNI got their "murderer's row" out of the way right away and got some winnable games at home to end the year to keep their momentum going into a nice playoff run.

Right...I think you'd much rather have the tougher games early than right at the end of the season. You can look at Youngstown State the last few years to see what happens when you start off strong but then hit a wall at the end. No playoffs for you.

UNIFanSince1983
January 15th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Right...I think you'd much rather have the tougher games early than right at the end of the season. You can look at Youngstown State the last few years to see what happens when you start off strong but then hit a wall at the end. No playoffs for you.

Okay but the same thing works the other way too. You start off 0-3 in conference and your back is against the wall. If we didn't pull it out in Brookings this year we go to 0-4 and season is over before it even really starts. All because we had 3 of 4 games on the road to start the season.

And in all honesty it has less to do with quality of team as every team except MSU was not a guaranteed win this year, and more to do with starting conference on the road where it is tougher to win. It makes it even tougher when you get ISUr, NDSU, and SDSU all on the road the same year.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Okay but the same thing works the other way too. You start off 0-3 in conference and your back is against the wall. If we didn't pull it out in Brookings this year we go to 0-4 and season is over before it even really starts. All because we had 3 of 4 games on the road to start the season.

And in all honesty it has less to do with quality of team as every team except MSU was not a guaranteed win this year, and more to do with starting conference on the road where it is tougher to win. It makes it even tougher when you get ISUr, NDSU, and SDSU all on the road the same year.
This is correct.

Not just that, but starting the season off by going @ Illinois State, @ North Dakota State, vs Western Illinois and @ South Dakota State

It was the perfect storm of playing the toughest teams all in a row the first four weeks of the season and 3 of the 4 on the road.

Let's pretend we played 3 of 4 at home. We may still go 1-3 in that stretch, but odds are it's no worse than 2-2 and quite likely 3-1

That would have put UNI at at 5-2 during week 7, not 3-4

The H/A split to the conference season, and quality of teams, for UNI has been ****.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 04:07 PM

Here's more data.

2008 - did get 2 of first 3 at home...went 12-3 that year and started the season 4-2 (3-1) through the first 6 weeks..didn't lose after week 2 of conference play until the playoffs
2007 - 3 of first 5 conference games on the road
2006 - 2 of first 3 conference games on the road
2005 3 of first 4 conference games on the road...really 4 of 6 to start the conference season. Were 4-3 with a D2 win after first 4 conference games. Not shockingly we got home games and made a run to the national title game.
2004 - 2 of first 3 conference games on the road
2003 - 3 of first 4 conference games on the road...really 4 of 6 to start the conference season.
2002 - 2 of first 3 conference games on the road and 3 of the first 5

Is that enough to call it more than a coincidence yet?

Professor Chaos
January 15th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Just for ****s-n-giggles here are the new round of conference matchups that won't be happening in 2016 or 2017.

NDSU/SIU
UNI/ISUr
SDSU/ISUb
YSU/WIU
USD/MSU

iowastatebison
January 15th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Here's more data.

Is that enough to call it more than a coincidence yet?

Yes, without running the numbers, I would say there is evidences to support that the conference starts UNI conference play on the road. I would guess that the value would be about 1-3% chance of it happening by random chance.

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to argue one way or another. I just thought it was an interesting problem set up and wanted to run the numbers.

clenz
January 15th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Yes, without running the numbers, I would say there is evidences to support that the conference starts UNI conference play on the road. I would guess that the value would be about 1-3% chance of it happening by random chance.

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to argue one way or another. I just thought it was an interesting problem set up and wanted to run the numbers.
I didn't think you were arguing. I just stopped at 2008 beacause it's when the Dakota's entered the conference and it went from 7 to 9 members.

Essentially what the data would tell us is it's not an accident of random generation by the conference, but rather a conscious effort by the conference to throw UNI on the road for 66-75% of the first half of the conference season?

iowastatebison
January 15th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Essentially what the data would tell us is it's not an accident of random generation by the conference, but rather a conscious effort by the conference to throw UNI on the road for 66-75% of the first half of the conference season?

Yes, the data would support that conclusion. However, just because something is statistically significant doesn't make it true, especially in non controlled experiments like this. For example, the statistics would say that if a team wins five championships in a row, there is a conspiracy that the NCAA wants that team to win. Assuming a 60% chance of winning a championship in a year, which is very high, the probability of winning five in a row is .6^5=7.8%. oddly enough, close to eight year numbers for UNI starting on the road. Maybe there is something to this after all. xrotatehx

ST_Lawson
January 15th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Just for ****s-n-giggles here are the new round of conference matchups that won't be happening in 2016 or 2017.

NDSU/SIU
UNI/ISUr
SDSU/ISUb
YSU/WIU
USD/MSU

Didn't I post that already?
​http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179703-MVFC-2016-Edition&p=2317584&viewfull=1#post2317584

Professor Chaos
January 15th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Didn't I post that already?
​http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179703-MVFC-2016-Edition&p=2317584&viewfull=1#post2317584
Why yes you did. Do you expect me to read to the 2nd post or something? :p

Bisonwinagn
January 15th, 2016, 11:36 PM
Let me recap 65 posts in this thread:
UNI's schedule is unfair and they are a bunch of pussies because they can't win regardless. Like it really ****ing matter's when you play someone.
Let's all shove pizza up our ass so we can improve the **** in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for wasting my ****ing time on your bullshiit instead of talking about something real for one ****ing second of your pitiful lives.

BisonFan02
January 16th, 2016, 12:14 AM
UNI's schedule is unfair and they are a bunch of pussies because they can't win regardless. Like it really ****ing matter's when you play someone.
Let's all shove pizza up our ass so we can improve the **** in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for wasting my ****ing time on your bullshiit instead of talking about something real for one ****ing second of your pitiful lives.

..............****ing ****ers! xlolx......****

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 16th, 2016, 02:35 AM
The OOC isn't there issue. I've posted the record before, but don't remember it. If I'm not mistaken UNI hasn't lost an FCS OOC game since 2010 (home vs SFA) and haven't lost a road OOC game since 1997.

Losing OOC games for UNI just simply doesn't happen often.

I think since 09UNI is something like 24+/- couple and 1 in OOC play.

It's just pretty damn tough to start conference play with being on the road 68% of the first half of the conference schedule year after year.

I'd love to see a year UNI goes 2-0 FCS OOC and gets to start with 3 of 5 conference games at home. Win the home games and split the two road games and UNI is 6-2 in week 8...not 4-4

Ok, As you've posted, road teams in our conference are 19-21 in road games last year. This is actually pretty decent for road teams. I see UNI, who is top two in the conference perpetually, doing very well in conference over that stretch. And if by the off chance they don't then they are set up the following year for an advantageous run toward the playoffs. I'm just not sold on this being an incredible disadvantage. Especially for a mentally tough team like UNI. If you were USD or Missouri State I'd say yes.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 16th, 2016, 07:25 AM

But yet, you had to post this crap.....xcoolx

Thumper 76
January 16th, 2016, 10:40 AM

Didn't mean to interrupt your special private time. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160116/a286a92662f31c1d45fe1c1bc50a207f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmiller_34
January 16th, 2016, 12:46 PM
SDSU's Schedule

@ TCU
Vs Drake
Vs Cal Poly
Vs Western Illinois
@ Southern Illinois
@ North Dakota State
Vs Youngstown State
@ Illinois State
Vs Missouri State
Vs South Dakota
@ Northern Iowa

I see another 7-8 win season. Losses to NDSU, Illinois State, TCU, and UNI. If we sneak a win against those three we will lose one to either USD, YSU, or SIU. We'll make the playoffs and be sent to a Big Sky team then to Fargo and lose.

I'm starting the sandbagging early this year.

Twentysix
January 16th, 2016, 12:48 PM
SDSU's Schedule

@ TCU
Vs Drake
Vs Cal Poly
Vs Western Illinois
@ Southern Illinois
@ North Dakota State
Vs Youngstown State
@ Illinois State
Vs Missouri State
Vs South Dakota
@ Northern Iowa

I see another 7-8 win season. Losses to NDSU, Illinois State, TCU, and UNI. If we sneak a win against those three we will lose one to either USD, YSU, or SIU. We'll make the playoffs and be sent to a Big Sky team then to Fargo and lose.

I think you beat ISUr lose to YSU, probably beat either NDSU (hah) or UNI also.

But your playoff prognostication is most likely correct.

@ TCU L
Vs Drake W
Vs Cal Poly W
Vs Western Illinois W
@ Southern Illinois W
@ North Dakota State L
Vs Youngstown State L
@ Illinois State W
Vs Missouri State W
Vs South Dakota W
@ Northern Iowa W
vs UND W
@ NDSU L

mmiller_34
January 16th, 2016, 12:59 PM
I think you beat ISUr lose to YSU, probably beat either NDSU (hah) or UNI also.

But your playoff prognostication is most likely correct.

@ TCU L
Vs Drake W
Vs Cal Poly W
Vs Western Illinois W
@ Southern Illinois W
@ North Dakota State L
Vs Youngstown State L
@ Illinois State W
Vs Missouri State W
Vs South Dakota W
@ Northern Iowa W
vs UND W
@ NDSU L

So painful. If we draw UND though, we'll lose. In fact, I feel like we've been so demoralized he past few years by NDSU that the next time we win a playoff game it will be in a scenario where we don't have to hit you guys in the second game.

Twentysix
January 16th, 2016, 01:04 PM
So painful. If we draw UND though, we'll lose. In fact, I feel like we've been so demoralized he past few years by NDSU that the next time we win a playoff game it will be in a scenario where we don't have to hit you guys in the second game.

You could always become a bison fan like those dual identity Iowa people. You could be a rabbitbison instead of a pantherhawk... lol. It might make the playoffs more enjoyable. We'd be happy to have you.

mmiller_34
January 16th, 2016, 01:06 PM
You could always become a bison fan like those dual identity Iowa people. You could be a rabbitbison instead of a pantherhawk... lol. It might make the playoffs more enjoyable.

I enjoyed watching the Bison slash their way through the playoffs. I rout for the Bison when they aren't playing the Jacks. I love that we were the trailblazers in D-1 for the Dakotas.

What's painful is SDSU has potential, considerably increased their talent the past 5 years, but that mental hurdle continues to kill us.

IBleedYellow
January 16th, 2016, 02:52 PM
We have the same mental hurdle with UNI. Especially at their place.

mmiller_34
January 16th, 2016, 03:03 PM
We have the same mental hurdle with UNI. Especially at their place.

No you don't. NDSU has lost to UNI, what, twice in four years? We haven't beat NDSU in 6 years.

** updated. Just looked it up UNI beat you once the past 5 years. Although a few have been close games, the Bison still won. That's the difference.

X-Factor
January 16th, 2016, 06:11 PM
No you don't. NDSU has lost to UNI, what, twice in four years? We haven't beat NDSU in 6 years.

** updated. Just looked it up UNI beat you once the past 5 years. Although a few have been close games, the Bison still won. That's the difference.

You knew there was going to be repercussions for breaking that streak of @NDSU going to back to the 1970 (or was it the 50's?), didn't you? ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 16th, 2016, 08:00 PM
SDSU's Schedule

@ TCU
Vs Drake
Vs Cal Poly
Vs Western Illinois
@ Southern Illinois
@ North Dakota State
Vs Youngstown State
@ Illinois State
Vs Missouri State
Vs South Dakota
@ Northern Iowa

All fives of those away games are tough. Although I don't think Ill State is going to be a playoff team next year.

AmsterBison
January 17th, 2016, 09:17 AM
So if NDSU plays JSU or SHSU to start the season, the first four games would be:

SHSU/JSU
Eastern Washington
@Iowa
Illinois State

That'd be an aggressive schedule.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 17th, 2016, 09:55 AM
So if NDSU plays JSU or SHSU to start the season, the first four games would be:

SHSU/JSU
Eastern Washington
@Iowa
Illinois State

Good schedule to start the year but EWU will be a cupcake!!!

xnodx

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 17th, 2016, 12:08 PM

SHSU/JSU
Eastern Washington
@Iowa
Illinois State

awesome schedule and totally doable with next years experienced defense. IMO

clenz
January 18th, 2016, 12:45 PM
On the topic of UNI's offense and changes from earlier.

Talking with some people that were at the Panther Scholarship Club supper last week they mentioned they've never seen Farley with as much purpose, or passion, for getting it right as they did that night.

Apparently he talked for about 20 minutes and it was essentially all about over the hump to the next level. He mentioned that in order to do that UNI "flat out needs to be able to throw the ball more and do it better". That apparently led to him talking about the need for bigger, more physical WR (see the emphasis on BIG WR in this years class) and getting back to the old style of OL play at UNI - 6'5 310+ pounds of beat the hell out of you (UNI used to be that, then it stopped). It sounds like Bailey is "the man going into spring/fall". He has the ability to be an above average QB, and showed flashes last year. The WR's had a lot of drops that hurt his number (I remember 9 of them the Cal Poly game alone). He did mention he needs to learn to see the field better and get through his reads before just running. I think the quote was "Aaron knows it, I know it, you know it and we've all spent too much time talking about it without fixing it". The program was hosting about 17 recruits that night that he had to get back too or it sounds like he would have kept going for hours.

Sounds like we might be seeing a new Farley...which ironically enough is the "old" Farley.

Those in the upper Midwest will have heard of "New Kirk" with how he changed his style and took the Hawkeyes on a nice run this year. Hopefully we see a "new Mark".

clenz
January 18th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Also looking at this incoming recruiting class for UNI there is a clear indication with what the system will be.

Picked up a 6'3 TE/DE that had offers from Ball State, Miami (OH), Pittsburgh, and Wyoming

Not too often a kid picks an FCS school over an ACC offer.

All WR, TE, DE, LB are all coming into the program at 6'2-6'4 and TE/DE/LB coming in at 230+ already.

THE HERD
January 18th, 2016, 02:59 PM

You guys have a new RB coming in to throw those deep routes??......just messing with ya!xpeacex

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 18th, 2016, 08:01 PM
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/1/15/10742602/Is-north-dakota-state-footballs-greatest-dynasty-Carson-Wentz-Nick-Saban

Twentysix
January 18th, 2016, 08:02 PM
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/1/15/10742602/Is-north-dakota-state-footballs-greatest-dynasty-Carson-Wentz-Nick-Saban

Obviously.

Houndawg
January 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM
SIU may surprise this year - for sure they won't be boring.

BisonTru
January 19th, 2016, 12:32 PM

It'll be interesting. SIU will most likely continue to play Big Sky football in the MVFC. We'll see how it plays out.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 19th, 2016, 06:52 PM

New coach is an offensive guy.

Will the defense be a priority for them?

IBleedYellow
January 19th, 2016, 09:12 PM
It'll be interesting. SIU will most likely continue to play Big Sky football in the MVFC. We'll see how it plays out.

Sounds like death and destruction, most likely.

clenz
January 19th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Sounds like death and destruction, most likely.

Similar to this year, but without the best weapon in he conference behind center anymore

IBleedYellow
January 19th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Similar to this year, but without the best weapon in he conference behind center anymore

That's not how you build up the MVFC to be the SEC of the FCS!

SIU is going to destroy next year!!

Twentysix
January 22nd, 2016, 04:06 AM

Sadly, they will probably beat flordia atlantic in a shoot out then lose both of their games to the weaker OVC teams.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 22nd, 2016, 06:56 AM

Unless SIU improves that horrid defense, they will not do anything.

Sycamore62
January 22nd, 2016, 08:22 AM
ISUb will go 7-4

nothing to back that up

To my knowledge, Antonio Allen from IU is no longer at the school. I figured him playing for us was a longshot anyway as he will likely be in prison.

BisonBacker
January 22nd, 2016, 08:28 AM
ISUb will go 7-4

nothing to back that up

To my knowledge, Antonio Allen from IU is no longer at the school. I figured him playing for us was a longshot anyway as he will likely be in prison.

Well hearing that he'd be a shoe in for ISUR xlolx

Bisonator
January 22nd, 2016, 10:07 AM
ISUb will go 7-4

nothing to back that up

Well then wtf not 11-0????xdrunkyx

clenz
January 22nd, 2016, 10:22 AM
I'm working on a fun excel sheet to add to this thread...and well every year as I up keep it.

If I could get the math to come out it would be great.

My columns top to bottom totaled match my total column....yet my rows of those columns totaled left to right and then totaled down are off.

I'm on check #12 of that sheet. **** numbers

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 22nd, 2016, 10:31 AM
I'm working on a fun excel sheet to add to this thread...and well every year as I up keep it.

My columns top to bottom totaled match my total column....yet my rows of those columns totaled left to right and then totaled down are off.

Let's go and quit slacking off.....xnodx:)

BisonFan02
January 22nd, 2016, 10:45 AM

xeyebrowx

Sycamore62
January 22nd, 2016, 11:40 AM
Well then wtf not 11-0????xdrunkyx

Well, mostly because I'd like it to not be unreasonable. Last season I thought 6-5 but really hoped we could beat One of the playoff teams other than WIU but we blew a lead agains WIU and threw away a shot against ISUr.

Anyway ay we have a whole O-line back and 4 were here 2 years ago. They weren't good so I'm not sure that's a plus. We lost a potential conference DPOY but he was injured all season for conference games and played hurt for the final 3-4 games. So I don't think we lose too much and I think we will have some players to replace what we did. We will also get a RB back from an ACL but I don't know how that will go. SO....

7-4

clenz
January 22nd, 2016, 11:40 AM
xeyebrowx
I hate numbers but love stats, you know this.

I hate excel for 99% of everything but when it comes to "pointless sheets" for things like this I enjoy the hell out of it.

It's odd.

dewey
January 22nd, 2016, 11:43 AM
I hate excel for 99% of everything

That is blasphemy to an engineers ears. A good spreadsheet could take over the world.

Dewey

iowastatebison
January 22nd, 2016, 11:58 AM
I hate numbers but love stats, you know this.

I hate excel for 99% of everything but when it comes to "pointless sheets" for things like this I enjoy the hell out of it.

It's odd.

Have you ever tried using R programming language? I have found that it works really well when combining and working with multiple excel spreadsheets. And best of all it is free to download. My brother is attempting to get the Stanton Power Station to use it.

clenz
January 22nd, 2016, 01:00 PM
Have you ever tried using R programming language? I have found that it works really well when combining and working with multiple excel spreadsheets. And best of all it is free to download. My brother is attempting to get the Stanton Power Station to use it.
Well, I don't actually have excel at home.

When I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 I lost all of my Microsoft programming - Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, Photo whatever it was called, etc... I tried to activate my product key and re-install it. It had been activated too many times - college lap top, post college lap top, wife's lap top and my lap top right after I bought it. Same computer but couldn't activate it again.

I don't use Office enough to pay for it again, so I haven't. I use docs for pretty much everything at this point. It's not a real advanced sheet by any means. I just have a wrong digit somewhere in a 14x32 sheet.

Numbers add down and total across just fine.
Numbers don't add across and total down right.

I've had this on one other sheet and it pisses me the hell off.

I should have been able to publish the sheet Monday. It's Friday and I'm still ****ing lost and refuse to do the other 10-12 pages of the book until I'm done with this one.

Twentysix
January 22nd, 2016, 01:13 PM
Well, I don't actually have excel at home.

When I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 I lost all of my Microsoft programming - Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, Photo whatever it was called, etc... I tried to activate my product key and re-install it. It had been activated too many times - college lap top, post college lap top, wife's lap top and my lap top right after I bought it. Same computer but couldn't activate it again.

I don't use Office enough to pay for it again, so I haven't. I use docs for pretty much everything at this point. It's not a real advanced sheet by any means. I just have a wrong digit somewhere in a 14x32 sheet.

Numbers add down and total across just fine.
Numbers don't add across and total down right.

I've had this on one other sheet and it pisses me the hell off.

I should have been able to publish the sheet Monday. It's Friday and I'm still ****ing lost and refuse to do the other 10-12 pages of the book until I'm done with this one.

The limit on keys is for simultaneous use, not a finite number of installs. If you call Microsoft you should be able to get the active machines reset making your CDKey valid again. Depending on the version, you might be able to reset it yourself online. (esp office 2010 or later)

1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) I would suggest looking around online first.

clenz
January 22nd, 2016, 01:29 PM
It's 07..I was in college when I bought it.

Like I said, given how little I use it it hasn't been worth my time to get it again.

I'm starting grad school in the fall. I'll use a student discount to get a new version.

What I'm doing the Google Sheets works just fine. This is an issue of what I typed apparently....somewhere

centennial
January 22nd, 2016, 01:35 PM
It's 07..I was in college when I bought it.

Like I said, given how little I use it it hasn't been worth my time to get it again.

I'm starting grad school in the fall. I'll use a student discount to get a new version.

What I'm doing the Google Sheets works just fine. This is an issue of what I typed apparently....somewhere
Libre office. I would say as good as MS office 2007, maybe better.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

Open source, and much more robust that Google. Also if you want to do graphs or a webpage with stats PM me. I'll convert the data to JSON and draw some nice charts with JavaScript for you.

clenz
January 22nd, 2016, 01:36 PM

Open source, and much more robust that Google. Also if you want to do graphs or a webpage with stats PM me. I'll convert the data to JSON and draw some nice charts with JavaScript for you.
Nice. I'll check it out this weekend when I'm at home. Biggest thing would be converting documents in a readable office format for submission of research papers and what not. Looks like that's not an issue with that.

Google Drive has been very kind to me, though the limitations piss me off at times when I have to go searching for an add on extension that may or may not work.

IBleedYellow
January 22nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
Check Pos Rep, Chad.

Hopefully I can work with ya. Office 365 is actually pretty awesome.

centennial
January 22nd, 2016, 01:45 PM
Nice. I'll check it out this weekend when I'm at home. Biggest thing would be converting documents in a readable office format for submission of research papers and what not. Looks like that's not an issue with that.

Google Drive has been very kind to me, though the limitations piss me off at times when I have to go searching for an add on extension that may or may not work.
The linux+ CS + academic world uses Libre Office (which came from Open Office). Microsoft is in bed with universities to try to prevent it by giving away stuff for free. IMO it works well enough, and will convert MS file types with save as. Or you could just convert your documents to PDF when submitting.
The online free version of office also works quite well. https://www.office.com/

UNIFanSince1983
January 22nd, 2016, 01:52 PM

I second LibreOffice. It is very robust and will open MS Office file formats and save in MS Office file formats. I used it for quite a while.

I did get a great deal on Office 365 recently though so I now have the newest version of office on all my devices.

NDSUtk
January 22nd, 2016, 03:33 PM
I second LibreOffice. It is very robust and will open MS Office file formats and save in MS Office file formats. I used it for quite a while.

I did get a great deal on Office 365 recently though so I now have the newest version of office on all my devices.
Due to our work licenses, we actually are allowed to install Office on up to 4 additional devices, even personal ones. It is sweet. Until they fire me I suppose.

Bisonwinagn
January 23rd, 2016, 12:49 AM
Holy ****!!! I nominate worst thread ever. Can we please delete and start over????????????????????????????

dewey
January 23rd, 2016, 08:00 AM
Holy ****!!! I nominate worst thread ever. Can we please delete and start over????????????????????????????

Did you ever read the MVFC 2015 Edition? This is just following in the foot steps of that thread. Plus we are 7 months until the first game.

Dewey

clenz
January 23rd, 2016, 08:51 AM

Feel free to not read it

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 23rd, 2016, 09:18 AM

It's a long offseason pal. Lighten up francis.

IBleedYellow
January 23rd, 2016, 10:22 AM
So Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack are making it sound like ESPN is working with NDSU to fill their final game of the year, and move the EWU game for the Kickoff game.

Hopefully we hear something soon!

Clenz, If our game gets flexed, my Dad and I plan on heading down to your guys game vs Montana. If BF02 gets his butt down to Fargo we'll get him there with us.

BisonFan02
January 23rd, 2016, 11:29 AM
So Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack are making it sound like ESPN is working with NDSU to fill their final game of the year, and move the EWU game for the Kickoff game.

Clenz, If our game gets flexed, my Dad and I plan on heading down to your guys game vs Montana. If BF02 gets his butt down to Fargo we'll get him there with us.

The 9/3 date? WTF could that mean?

IBleedYellow
January 23rd, 2016, 11:58 AM
Hopefully good things?

mmiller_34
January 23rd, 2016, 12:51 PM

Come on. It's tradition for the MVFC threads to be 90% off topic.

its part of the the flavor.

BisonFan02
January 23rd, 2016, 12:56 PM
Come on. It's tradition for the MVFC threads to be 90% off topic.

its part of the the flavor.

Did someone say flavor? :D

http://www.passion-4-pizza.com/image-files/caseys-box.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 23rd, 2016, 12:57 PM

Did Jeff and Dom mention something on their Saturday morning show?

BisonFan02
January 23rd, 2016, 12:58 PM
Did Jeff and Dom mention something on their Saturday morning show?

I guess so.....do they post the Kolpack and Izzo broadcasts somewhere streaming for repeat?

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 23rd, 2016, 12:59 PM
I guess so.....do they post the Kolpack and Izzo broadcasts somewhere streaming for repeat?

Just checked inforum.com to see if they had a video post out on it but nothing yet.

Thumper 76
January 25th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Did someone say flavor? :D

http://www.passion-4-pizza.com/image-files/caseys-box.jpg

I can confirm that no matter where you get a Caseys breakfast pizza in SD, ND, MN, and IA it will be delicious.

clenz
January 25th, 2016, 09:27 PM
The sheet I was working on...well...

I started tinkering and that lead to more...and..

It's been delayed for a much larger and needlessly more in-depth sheet.

A hint as to what I'm doing - it involves the OOC schedules.

I have one sheet out of about 15-20 planned sheets done. There may be more added as time goes on and I decide how crazy I want to get.

The one sheet I have done is the third or fourth longest sheet of the workbook. Sadly the two or three that are longer are...well...two to three times as long.

A couple sheets should be nothing more than ten minutes or so.

BisonFan02
January 25th, 2016, 10:21 PM
The sheet I was working on...well...

I started tampering and that lead to more...and..

It's been delayed for a much larger and needlessly more in-depth sheet.

A hint as to what I'm doing - it involves the OOC schedules.

I have one sheet out of about 15-20 planned sheets done. There may be more added as time goes on and I decide how crazy I want to get.

The one sheet I have done is the third or fourth longest sheet of the workbook. Sadly the two or three that are longer are...well...two to three times as long.

A couple sheets should be nothing more than ten minutes or so.

Well..........sheet. :D

JayJ79
January 26th, 2016, 05:50 AM
"They call him the king of the spreadsheets. He's got them all printed out on his bedsheets"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

REALBird
January 26th, 2016, 04:14 PM
9/3/2016 Valparaiso Normal, Ill.
9/10/2016 Northwestern Evanston, Ill.
9/17/2016 Eastern Illinois Normal, Ill.
9/24/2016 Indiana State Terre Haute, Ind.
10/1/2016 North Dakota State Fargo, N.D.
10/8/2016 Youngstown State Normal, Ill.
10/15/2016 Southern Illinois Normal, Ill.
10/22/2016 South Dakota Vermillion, S.D.
10/29/2016 South Dakota State Normal, Ill.
11/5/2016 Western Illinois Macomb, Ill.
11/12/2016 Missouri State Normal, Ill.

I can see 7-4 (losses to Northwestern, NDSU, SDSU, and possibly the Sycamores or WIU). Not so much worried about the QB and WR corp. But the DEF backfield and RB positions are huge question marks.

(PantherRob............Casey's Pizza!)

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
January 26th, 2016, 06:38 PM

I can see 7-4 (losses to Northwestern, NDSU, SDSU, and possibly the Sycamores or WIU). Not so much worried about the QB and WR corp. But the DEF backfield and RB positions are huge question marks.

Watch out for the Penguins! You face them before their yearly November meltdown!

ST_Lawson
January 26th, 2016, 07:02 PM
If you consider ISUB to be practically Illinois...the Redbirds have a total of 2 games that aren't in the immediate vicinity of Illinois.

Only Fargo and Vermillion would be plane trips.

REALBird
January 26th, 2016, 09:37 PM
If you consider ISUB to be practically Illinois...the Redbirds have a total of 2 games that aren't in the immediate vicinity of Illinois.

Only Fargo and Vermillion would be plane trips.

That works for me. NDSU is early enough that I may even make the trip to Fah-go.

REALBird
January 26th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Watch out for the Penguins! You face them before their yearly November meltdown!

Get to witness Bo-Polar have his meltdown in person this year.

Bisonoline
January 26th, 2016, 10:28 PM

Wow 8 home and only 3 away?

dewey
January 26th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Wow 8 home and only 3 away?

6 home and 5 away.xeyebrowx
Away games;
Northwestern
NDSU
Indiana State
USD
Western Illinois

Only 3 outside of Illinois however

Dewey

Bisonoline
January 26th, 2016, 11:37 PM
6 home and 5 away.xeyebrowx
Away games;
Northwestern
NDSU
Indiana State

USD
Western Illinois

Only 3 outside of Illinois however

Dewey

LOL LOL I counted just the Ill. Thanks

dewey
January 27th, 2016, 05:47 AM
LOL LOL I counted just the Ill. Thanks

I did the samething at first. What a great schedule for the fans as there is 8 games in Illinois.

Dewey

ST_Lawson
January 27th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I did the samething at first. What a great schedule for the fans as there is 8 games in Illinois.

Dewey

Outside of the two games in the Dakotas, all of ISU's games are within a ~2 1/2 hour drive of Normal.

Also, you can take the train to the one at Northwestern. Amtrak from Normal to Union Station in Chicago, then depending on your schedule, from downtown to a stop two blocks west of Northwestern's stadium via the Metra...or from downtown to a stop two blocks east of the stadium via the CTA purple line. That's what I did when we played at Northwestern in 2014...met up with some friends and headed up to the stadium on the train. It's a lot of fun (and you don't have to worry about not being able to drive home).
Plus, a game at Northwestern is huge if you have a lot of alumni in the Chicago area (which most Illinois schools do).

clenz
January 27th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Outside of the two games in the Dakotas, all of ISU's games are within a ~2 1/2 hour drive of Normal.

Also, you can take the train to the one at Northwestern. Amtrak from Normal to Union Station in Chicago, then depending on your schedule, from downtown to a stop two blocks west of Northwestern's stadium via the Metra...or from downtown to a stop two blocks east of the stadium via the CTA purple line. That's what I did when we played at Northwestern in 2014...met up with some friends and headed up to the stadium on the train. It's a lot of fun (and you don't have to worry about not being able to drive home).
Plus, a game at Northwestern is huge if you have a lot of alumni in the Chicago area (which most Illinois schools do).
So...no reason not to see a sea of red at every single ISU game this year?

JayJ79
January 27th, 2016, 08:53 AM

and a 9th that is less than 4 miles from Illinois

Sycamore62
January 27th, 2016, 09:16 AM
and a 9th that is less than 4 miles from Illinois

8.23 from the state line (the stadium is ~2 miles east of campus)

JayJ79
January 27th, 2016, 11:11 AM
8.23 from the state line (the stadium is ~2 miles east of campus)

oops, I mistakenly did my calculations from the river and not the state line. didn't realize that the border doesn't start following the Wabash until south of Terre Haute.

REALBird
January 27th, 2016, 02:02 PM
So...no reason not to see a sea of red at every single ISU game this year?

If you believe in unicorns. Sure, no reason. If you're a realist..........nah.

I know we get a bad rap, but honestly we're probably in one of the worst situations for a 4 year college. Less than 1 hour away from the University of Illinois. Plus the majority of RESIDENTS of Bloomington/Normal (Blo/No) aren't from here. HELL I'm not from here. I'm from Chicago. Matriculated at Illinois State, and then just found myself stuck in Central Illinois. My Mrs. is from just an hour SouthWest (Springfield, IL.). Like most Illinois schools the greater majority of our alums are from C(r)ook County, Chicago which is still pretty much Notre Dame country because Illinois Football just sounds funny when you say it.

Many of the residents of Blo/No are transients who came to work for the Big Red insurance company and don't have any real ties to the school or the area. Blo/No promotes itself as a "family" community, meaning we've all built houses with huge 6 foot privacy fences so we can work on our Koi Ponds and landscape on the weekends. If we're not doing that, we're too immersed in trying to climb the corporate ladder, or living vicariously through our kids and their HS activities.

That being said......tentatively planning on attending every game with the exception of the trip to Vermillion. I will be dragging the HS Senior around looking for backup colleges if her first choice doesn't pan out.

The 5000 or so you get for basketball and the 7000 or so you'd normally get for Football are really the BASE. Then depending on the weekend or opponent, we manage to inflate the number by a few thousand for basketball. For football, Community Day where all of the local insurance companies get pandered to inflates football attendance. But I grow so tired of hearing some guy who got group tickets talk about the Illini that it makes me sick. Homecoming and Family Day are almost always sell-out games or near sell out games now that people in Blo/No discovered that phenomenon called "tailgating". Who knew grilling meat is no longer an activity done in your backyard on a gas grill (blasphemous - the gas grill part).

Aside from that.......the D-III private school people hate everything about the public STATE school in their backyard. We don't support them, and they don't support us. The townies......many of whom feel isolated because they don't work for the BIG RED insurance company just disdain anything not local and stagnant.

In a nutshell, Blo/No is a mixed bag of nuts. With BIG RED sending so many people to Georgia, Texas and Arizona now, the face is constantly changing. With Mitsubishi closing it's doors, that's another demographic that will likely leave Blo/No.
10 years from now I expect Normal and Illinois State to be vastly different than where they are today based on the economics of the State of Illinoying. Stay Tuned.

REALBird
January 27th, 2016, 02:14 PM

ST_Lawson last time we played Northwestern I drove up from Normal. Stayed with family the night before the game, then my Dad took the train down from Waukegan and met in Evanston. Big 10 football in Illinois is a funny thing, and I discovered this when I worked at the University of Illinois.

Northwestern and Illinois fans don't buy tickets just for their team, the buy them to see the OTHER Big 10 teams. True story, one year I'm in line to buy basketball tickets to see Illinois State vs. Illinois at Assembly Hall. First day of single game tickets. The line is wrapped around the building, then the guy yells out "ALL TICKETS FOR MICHIGAN STATE ARE SOLD OUT".....you see a few people leave line. 10 minutes later..."ALL TICKETS FOR MICHIGAN ARE SOLD OUT". More people leave line. This continues "OHIO STATE..........more people leave.....WISCONSIN......more people leave.........IOWA.......by this time it's me, two guys who haven't been paying attention, and some guy who was born in Minnesota looking for tickets vs. the Gophers. I was at the front in like 20 minutes and got 4 tickets for Illinois State with no problem. This was before I discovered Stub-Hub.

Tickets for the NW/Illinois State game through Stub-Hub last time cost me like $4 a ticket. I paid more to have them shipped to me ($15) than I did for the actual tickets ($12). All in all, good game. Enjoyed my time in Evanston and looking forward to going back this year.

ST_Lawson
January 27th, 2016, 02:28 PM
ST_Lawson last time we played Northwestern I drove up from Normal. Stayed with family the night before the game, then my Dad took the train down from Waukegan and met in Evanston. Big 10 football in Illinois is a funny thing, and I discovered this when I worked at the University of Illinois.

Northwestern and Illinois fans don't buy tickets just for their team, the buy them to see the OTHER Big 10 teams. True story, one year I'm in line to buy basketball tickets to see Illinois State vs. Illinois at Assembly Hall. First day of single game tickets. The line is wrapped around the building, then the guy yells out "ALL TICKETS FOR MICHIGAN STATE ARE SOLD OUT".....you see a few people leave line. 10 minutes later..."ALL TICKETS FOR MICHIGAN ARE SOLD OUT". More people leave line. This continues "OHIO STATE..........more people leave.....WISCONSIN......more people leave.........IOWA.......by this time it's me, two guys who haven't been paying attention, and some guy who was born in Minnesota looking for tickets vs. the Gophers. I was at the front in like 20 minutes and got 4 tickets for Illinois State with no problem. This was before I discovered Stub-Hub.

Tickets for the NW/Illinois State game through Stub-Hub last time cost me like $4 a ticket. I paid more to have them shipped to me ($15) than I did for the actual tickets ($12). All in all, good game. Enjoyed my time in Evanston and looking forward to going back this year.

Yup, tickets for our game against Northwestern in '14 and Illinois in '15 were really easy to get a hold of. Look on stubhub a week before the games and they're half the price that I'd pay for a non-conference, non-event home game. I think a big part of that (especially with Northwestern) is that there's a ton of Big 10 alums from all the other schools in the Chicago area. You probably have more Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, or Michigan alumni in Chicago than you do Northwestern alumni. They don't care about Northwestern, but they care when Michigan (or OSU, WI, etc.) comes to town. Our alumni office had a tent set up at the game at Northwestern...for $25 you could get all-you-can-eat at the buffet at the tent, socializing, etc....if you wanted a game ticket with that too...$35. So, tickets were valued at a whopping $10...for a Big 10 school.

It's kinda nice when the local "big boy" schools don't get anywhere close to selling out their games against us. We're playing NIU this year...they average like 13k fans in a 23k seat stadium...early season against a non-conference opponent...they might get 10k, with 1500 of them being Leatherneck fans. I doubt tickets will cost in the double digits. Gas for the drive up to Dekalb will cost more.

clenz
January 27th, 2016, 02:47 PM
I LOATH the OVC, SLC, and FCS independents of years gone by.

Dear god.

WTFCollegefootballfan
January 31st, 2016, 07:13 PM
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12651324_940126422691865_5385904995806561867_n.jpg ?oh=7530858b950bdeb9e6677bf49ddbdd05&oe=57371146

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 1st, 2016, 07:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

71-5 in 5 years....xbowx

Pretty darn impressive.

IBleedYellow
February 1st, 2016, 11:29 AM
New ESPN3+ MVFC deal until 2023.

Not bad.

http://gobison.com/news/2016/2/1/FB_0201163216.aspx

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 10:48 PM
64.7%

The MVFC/Gateway's all time OOC win %, including playoffs

clenz
February 1st, 2016, 10:49 PM
Only 4 times has the conference had a sub .500 OOC record in a season, and not since 2001. 3 of the 4 came between 88 and 94

- - - Updated - - -

Holy ****, I wish this process to finish the final sheets was quicker.

This is damn good.xcoffeex

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 02:46 PM
At long last...the workbook I've been working on and refining and double checking and then finding issues and having to comb through 14 separate sheets to get the book to balance and then find another issue....

Anyway....

We all know how good the MVFC has been OOC the last few years, so it got me wondering, how good has the conference been all time. I know valley-football.org has some basic information (and it's where I stared my workbook) but I wanted more than that. I wanted more than just knowing if it was a W or an L. I wanted score, I wanted where game was played, I wanted to separate playoff and regular season and most of all I wanted it sortable rather than a fixed PDF

So without further adieu

Every MVFC (Gateway) OOC score from every regular season game, every post season game, home/away splits, against every conference at the time of the the game and all in sortable sheets.

You're welcome

http://bit.ly/1nTwV9p

Also, if you spot an error....and I really hope you don't....let me know and I'll verify and fix. Most errors (outside of a score error) tend to domino into about 4 hours of work. So please, PLEASE, let this be right.

I will put this link into a my signature as well for ease of reference

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm going to take most of the Valley record books and make them into sortable sheets. It's one thing to look at the PDF and read it. It's another to be able to sort it to get what you really want from it.

BisonBacker
February 8th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Since 2008 when NDSU and SDSU joined the MVFC the winning percentage has steadily gone up. Coincidence? I think not.

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Since 2008 when NDSU and SDSU joined the MVFC the winning percentage has steadily gone up. Coincidence? I think not.
Well the years before the XDSU's joined were

It's not like the league was actually struggling

- - - Updated - - -

Also, to be noted I didn't include FBS or non D1 games.

That was about 800 games I didn't want to go searching out for 99% wins one way and 95% losses the other way.

BisonBacker
February 8th, 2016, 02:58 PM
The highest win pctg the league had you had to go back to 1991 when it reached 77.3%.
78%
81%
93%
80%
Just within the last 5 years. The league never saw those numbers prior to that.

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 03:00 PM
The highest win pctg the league had you had to go back to 1991 when it reached 77.3%.
78%
81%
93%
80%
Just within the last 5 years. The league never saw those numbers prior to that.
Also come along with a massive increase in NEC, Pioneer, and bottom half Big Sky teams that didn't exist prior to the last few years.

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 03:02 PM
One thing I forgot to add at the end of the work book that I meant too before I published it is each school broken down.

I will get that added over the next week or so and as people aren't looking at the book so I'm not resorting as people are looking at it.

stevdock
February 8th, 2016, 03:10 PM
That is some insane work. I noticed that you had win-loss records in the playoffs for home and road switched.

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 03:17 PM
That is some insane work. I noticed that you had win-loss records in the playoffs for home and road switched.
Which sheet, or all of them?

I'll change it

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Got it.

Good catch

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 04:18 PM
The next one I'm looking at is more hours of work than I care to think about so I'm going to poll if you'd use it or if it'd be a waste of time

I'd take every All Conference team and put it in a sortable format by team.
I'd also do the same withe everyone who has been All American and the AA list they made.
Conference POY, etc...

It's all stuff that's already out there, but I'd make it sortable, essentially.

Bisonator
February 8th, 2016, 07:49 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to clenz again.

That's some nice clenz!xoutofrepx

So we own every other conference but the SOCON? Need to get some more of those teams on the schedule.:D

clenz
February 8th, 2016, 08:02 PM
That's some nice clenz!xoutofrepx

So we own every other conference but the SOCON? Need to get some more of those teams on the schedule.:D

Realistically it's Marshall, App State and GSU that had success.

Over .500 against other SoCon teams

Twentysix
February 9th, 2016, 12:51 AM
Is there another conference in the history of the FCS that can top 93%+ OOC win rate with at least 21 OOC games played?

clenz
February 9th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Is there another conference in the history of the FCS that can top 93%+ OOC win rate with at least 21 OOC games played?
I put this out on my twitter (and noticed the AGS twitter picked up on it...that sure was nice of whoever did that xlolxxcoffeex)....and asked for other conference fans to do something similar.

Doubt we see it though.

Like I said, valley-football.org had the very basics already laid out for me - year, team, win or loss. I had to go in after that and grab all of the scores, locations, playoff/regular season, etc... 3rd party.

I bet I have damn near 20-25 hours tied into this thing getting everything squared away. As you guys with multi-sheet workbook experience can attest too, the domino effect of 1 wrong number can cause hours of beating your head against a wall trying to figure it out.

I'd love to see some other conference guys step up and do this. Really create the biggest/best FCS glossary there is....or at least compete with CFBDataWarehouse which doesn't allow sorting or record vs conference membership at time of game.

Bison56
February 9th, 2016, 04:59 PM
I put this out on my twitter (and noticed the AGS twitter picked up on it...that sure was nice of whoever did that xlolxxcoffeex)....and asked for other conference fans to do something similar.

Doubt we see it though.

Like I said, valley-football.org had the very basics already laid out for me - year, team, win or loss. I had to go in after that and grab all of the scores, locations, playoff/regular season, etc... 3rd party.

I bet I have damn near 20-25 hours tied into this thing getting everything squared away. As you guys with multi-sheet workbook experience can attest too, the domino effect of 1 wrong number can cause hours of beating your head against a wall trying to figure it out.

I'd love to see some other conference guys step up and do this. Really create the biggest/best FCS glossary there is....or at least compete with CFBDataWarehouse which doesn't allow sorting or record vs conference membership at time of game.

Totally know that feeling.

Nice work by the way. As someone who does many multiple sheets like this, I understand the time and patience it takes to accomplish it. Hats off to you sir and thank you.

clenz
February 10th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Some pretty interesting "teasers" from Jeremy Hoeck's, the Asst Sports Editor at the Yankton (S.D.) Press and Dakotan, twitter feed from Stig.

https://twitter.com/jhoeck

Stiegelmeier: SDSU recruited without 3 assistant coaches, had 3 decommits, 1 or 2 corners will play, QB Kanin Nelson already in school....

SDSU's John Stiegelmeier again very open about BOR/contract issue: No other D-1 coaches w/o multi-year deal. "That's the way of the world"

Stiegelmeier, on contracts: Trying to hire assistants & they want job security. Parents also ask him what his contract is. Obviously tough

Stiegelmeier, on BOR/contract issue: "If you've grown up in South Dakota, you don't just snap your fingers and things change."

Can't wait to see his full story

Nothing entirely new to those of us that grew up in the area or Dakota school fans.

Pretty interesting to see just how close to the edge SDSU seems to run every single year when it comes to attempting to be competitive. They are always 1 half stumble of a step away from falling back a bit

Thumper 76
February 10th, 2016, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't quite qualify what SDSU has done since joining the MVFC as attempting to be competitive.....

Twentysix
February 11th, 2016, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't quite qualify what SDSU has done since joining the MVFC as attempting to be competitive.....

Warning, pointless offseason debate topic ahead!

The question: is Stig holding SDSU back, or is SDSU holding Stig back? i.e. Could another coach make the semis/championship at SDSU even though Stig can't?

SDSU clearly isn't the worst place to go in the FCS...

I guess you could say the same thing about UNI. Is Farley holding UNI back, or is UNI holding Farley back? Do Stig or Farley win championships at NDSU as HC?

Does a reality where Kleiman succeeds Farley at UNI, instead of going to NDSU, result in a panther NC?

clenz
February 11th, 2016, 06:33 AM

Semantics over wording.

The way South Dakota is set up it's pretty amazing what Stig has done the last 8 years with that program. The reality is that program is run on a tight rope in many ways.

clenz
February 11th, 2016, 07:37 AM

The question: is Stig holding SDSU back, or is SDSU holding Stig back? i.e. Could another coach make the semis/championship at SDSU even though Stig can't?

I guess you could say the same thing about UNI. Is Farley holding UNI back, or is UNI holding Farley back? Do Stig or Farley win championships at NDSU as HC?

Does a reality where Kleiman succeeds Farley at UNI, instead of going to NDSU, result in a panther NC?
I'm not going to try to talk on behalf of SDSU fans regarding that one, but as I said, the way South Dakota is set up it's pretty tough at the D1 level to succeed like that. He has the second best win % of all SDSU coaches since WW1 ended.

The only one wit a better win % coached at SDSU for just 6 years and never won more than 7 games, he was just REALLY good at getting his team to 7-3 or 7-4...3 years of 7-4, 2 years of 7-3 and 1 year of 6-5)

Stig has been at SDSU for 19 years and has nearly as many wins in the last 4 years as Daly did in his 6...and that's at the D1 level compared to the D2 level for all of the other coaches.

UNI is a weird spot to describe.

As much as I've said Farley can't get out of his own way these past few years he ISN'T holding UNI back. He's the all time wins leader in conference history, by a large margin and is still a full recruiting cycle (at least) from being done. He's only 52 right now and will be 53 at the start of this season. He took over as head coach at UNI at 37. He's never lost a road OOC game. 7 conference titles, 9 playoff appearances, only once lost the first playoff game. Only coach to get UNI to the title game. It's a complete

UNI isn't holding Farley back. Check the coaching record book in conference history. Go see who has the second most wins in conference history...It's Terry Allen. When he left UNI for Kansas in 1997 he already had the record, aid would still have the record if it wasn't for Farley and he never coached at MSU. That's 8 years coaching in the MVFC and he'd still have the record or be second in conference wins and overall wins.

If the last 30ish years were replayed with the same players on the field the chances UNI wouldn't have at least a couple titles is zero. The snake bitten nature of the program is, simply put, 100% unbelievable unless you watch it week after week.

I think Kleiman was going to succeed Farley, but he (rightfully so) wasn't going to wait around for that chance given he left 4 years ago and I'd guess Farley has 6-7 left. No way he was going to sit as a DC for 10 years at an FCS school waiting to be an FCS head coach.

UNIFanSince1983
February 11th, 2016, 08:28 AM
I guess the question is could anyone on NDSU's staff have succeeded Bohl and won the NC the last two years?

Was Klieman really that great of coach or was everything set up perfectly for him to succeed? We will probably get to see here in next few years. I do think he is a good coach, but I don't think he would have led UNI to a NC.

BisonFan02
February 11th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I guess the question is could anyone on NDSU's staff have succeeded Bohl and won the NC the last two years?

Was Klieman really that great of coach or was everything set up perfectly for him to succeed? We will probably get to see here in next few years. I do think he is a good coach, but I don't think he would have led UNI to a NC.

Klieman and his staff did a pretty good job this year coaching up the team....especially on D...pretty young team at this point.

Thumper 76
February 11th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Semantics over wording.

The way South Dakota is set up it's pretty amazing what Stig has done the last 8 years with that program. The reality is that program is run on a tight rope in many ways.

I get kinda bitchy in the offseason xlolx

BisonFan02
February 11th, 2016, 12:26 PM
I get kinda bitchy in the offseason xlolx

They make a pill for that. :D

jacksfan29
February 11th, 2016, 12:49 PM

I like Stig and like what he has done... But

question 1: Stig? yes
question 2: Farley? yes
question 3: Kleiman? yes

achrist70
February 11th, 2016, 10:52 PM
Hopefully Bryce Paup is still around to take Farley's spot when he's done.

Kemo
February 12th, 2016, 01:30 AM

I'll take a stab at this one from a SDSU perspective:

Question 1:

The answer changes based on what part of Coach Stig's tenure we are talking about. For much of it, Coach Stig was holding SDSU up, or if you prefer, the school support for the football program was holding him back. For most of his tenure, he has been at a disadvantage in terms of resources compared to many of SDSU's peers. However, he managed to sell other positive aspects of the university and his program that were not dependent on funding (education, community, family, opportunity) that appealed particularly to hardworking overachievers in the area who may have been undervalued due to maybe being a little smaller, or a little slower, than other more prized recruits.

As Stig's tenure progressed, he continued to find success both on the field (even in his worst years, he was still around .500 and I don't believe he's ever had a losing conference record in the MVFC) and off it (SDSU's football team has a cumulative GPA of above a 3.0 every year with a lot of majors that aren't usually "football friendly" like Engineering, Pharmacy, Physics, and Biology). Of course, with the increased success has come increased fan support, funding, facilities, and expectations.

Now SDSU is coming to cross roads with Stig. The Jackrabbit football program will now have debatably the best facilities in the FCS for the upcoming season, and by next year I expect he'll have full cost of attendance and multi-year contracts. Not only will he not have a disadvantage in regional recruiting, but now have some advantages over his peer institutions. The question is, can he sell these advantages and win more recruiting battles for the hardworking, overachievers that are highly prized that we used to lose out on. Also, will his coaching style and philosophy be enough to take the Jackrabbits deeper into the playoffs and toward a National Championship (SDSU fans have been justifiably frustrated with how we preform in big games, particularly against the Bison).

Coach Stig has led the Jackrabbit Football program out of the desert of mediocrity, but is he the right person to lead us into Canaan? I don't believe we'll know at least for a few years, but I sure hope so.

Question 2:

I don't think Stig would have won 5 championships at NDSU, but my feeling on him is that his football program is usually as good as his assistants, for he gives them a ton of say in how things operate on the field. Knowing that he'd have the budget to just pluck a highly valued assistant from UNI like Klieman, I find it would be a safe bet that he would have pulled at least one NC if you gave him say, a Bohl tenure.

Question 3:

Even though not an SDSU question, I'd say "yes" to UNI winning a Nat'l Championship with Klieman. I'd argue he was as instrumental as an assistant as Bohl was as the head coach in the first 3 NCs.

IBleedYellow
February 12th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Chris Klieman is a defensive mastermind.

Look @ how NDSU's defenses have been during this 5 year run. He's the man I'm most worried about losing when that day comes.

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 09:09 AM

Look @ how NDSU's defenses have been during this 5 year run. He's the man I'm most worried about losing when that day comes.
The first year or two without him at UNI was un-UNIlike defenses.

With Jeremiah Johnson, Paup and Farley the defense has clearly rebounded but you are correct. Kleiman knows how to put a defense together

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 12th, 2016, 01:28 PM

I agree he brought an entirely new edge to our defensive intensity and scheme. That being said i think what NDSU runs on D is tailor made for this level of football. The Athletes just aren't quite explosive enough to exploit it in the FCS. If NDSU played someone like Baylor who plays wide open with exceptional athletes everywhere it would be interesting to see how it really holds up. But alas we'll never know.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 12th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Topic shift:

If NDSU started a Go fund me campaign to build a bigger stadium and go FBS will the rest of the valley donate??? The rest of the FCS???xsmiley_wix

clenz
February 12th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I agree he brought an entirely new edge to our defensive intensity and scheme. That being said i think what NDSU runs on D is tailor made for this level of football. The Athletes just aren't quite explosive enough to exploit it in the FCS. If NDSU played someone like Baylor who plays wide open with exceptional athletes everywhere it would be interesting to see how it really holds up. But alas we'll never know.
It's why the UNI/NDSU games are as intense as they are.

I know NDSU fans hate Farley and don't want to believe this but Klieman and Farley are, essentially, the same coach with the same mentality in many ways.

IBleedYellow
February 12th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Farley is different and has a different attitude towards NDSU now that Bohl isn't the HC.

For the better.

Can't really blame him, though. UNI has been the leader of the Valley since it existed. Then NDSU shows up and they are picked to win the conference their first year ever, only to proceed to get destroyed. Bohl and co got a nice slice of humble pie there. Coach K has tons of respect for the Valley, and knows all of the other coaches on a personal level, I believe.

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2016, 04:59 PM

I know NDSU fans hate Farley and don't want to believe this but Klieman and Farley are, essentially, the same coach with the same mentality in many ways.

Ive always liked Farley as a defensive field general. Until this year he was always kind of prickish during his pressers. This past year is the first time Ive seen him give credit where it was due. Before it was nothing but excuses and deflection which I didnt care for.

BisonTru
February 13th, 2016, 08:41 PM

Farley and Klieman have some of the same philosophies like the importance of a defensive minded team and the threat of a mobile quarterback.

One area I think they are very different, and this is from what I know about Klieman and what I'm told about Farley from the UNI guys, is that Klieman lets his coaches coach while Farley seems to really try to control all aspects of the team. I know one of Klieman's first few games he had a press conference where he admitted that he had gotten too involved with the defensive play calling and that he needed to let Entz take ownership of the defense.

Maybe, Farley is getting better in this aspect, you guys would know better than I.

UNIFanSince1983
February 14th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Just saw this come up and thought of this thread immediately.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/2016/02/12/caseys-fifth-largest-pizza-chain-us/80293534/

mmiller_34
February 14th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Just saw this come up and thought of this thread immediately.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/2016/02/12/caseys-fifth-largest-pizza-chain-us/80293534/

I read that last week too. I was so proud!

clenz
February 22nd, 2016, 02:15 PM
We all bag on YSU for how poor their OOC scheduling is when they get left out of the playoffs while YSU fans are crying about having 7 or 8 wins.

Dear YSU,
Here's your issue. You haven't lost to an FCS school since 2008, when you lost to Liberty. Since then you've played:
-1 game against a CAA program, Northeastern in 2009 (which no longer exists)
-1 game against the OVC, Austin Peay State in 2009
-6 games against the Pioneer
-8 games against the NEC

The last time you played an FCS team on the road was Northeastern in 2009. Going back further than that you've played only 1 other game on the road since 2006 - at Great West Southern Utah.

Are we seeing a pattern of why you still get to 7 or 8 wins but can't beat anyone come late in MVFC season? The last time you made the playoffs was 2006. That was when you went from playing CAA, Indy, Big South, etc... teams that would challenge you to strictly Great West, PFL and NEC type teams. Seriously, here's your FCS OOC since you're last playoff berth:

South Dakota State
W
Home
Great West

Southern Utah
W
Home
Great West

Stony Brook
W
Home
Indy

Southern Utah
L
Away
Great West

Liberty
L
Home
Big South

Northeastern
W
Away
CAA

Austin Peay
W
Home
OVC

Cent Conn State
W
Home
NEC

Butler
W
Home
Pioneer

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

Valparaiso
W
Home
Pioneer

Albany
W
Home
NEC

Valparaiso
W
Home
Pioneer

Duquense
W
Home
NEC

Dayton
W
Home
Pioneer

Morehead State
W
Home
Pioneer

Duquense
W
Home
NEC

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

Butler
W
Home
Pioneer

Robert Morris
W
Home
NEC

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

This years FCS OOC? Home vs Robert Morris and home vs Duquense.

Jesus, would you guys just move to the NEC or something already. Maybe you'd make the playoffs, it would balance our schedules out, and we wouldn't have to listen to you cry about getting screwed out of the playoffs/by officials anymore.

Pure dog ****

clenz
February 22nd, 2016, 02:24 PM
Part 2 of my MVFC OOC spread-sheeting.

This takes all of the data from the previous sheet and breaks it out by school - former members listed last.

It's interesting to see the obvious scheduling patterns of different schools - see UNI vs previously mentioned YSU

http://bit.ly/1UiJIiz

Penguin Nation
February 23rd, 2016, 10:41 AM
We all bag on YSU for how poor their OOC scheduling is when they get left out of the playoffs while YSU fans are crying about having 7 or 8 wins.

Dear YSU,
Here's your issue. You haven't lost to an FCS school since 2008, when you lost to Liberty. Since then you've played:
-8 games against the NEC

The last time you played an FCS team on the road was Northeastern in 2009. Going back further than that you've played only 1 other game on the road since 2006 - at Great West Southern Utah.

Are we seeing a pattern of why you still get to 7 or 8 wins but can't beat anyone come late in MVFC season? The last time you made the playoffs was 2006. That was when you went from playing CAA, Indy, Big South, etc... teams that would challenge you to strictly Great West, PFL and NEC type teams. Seriously, here's your FCS OOC since you're last playoff berth:

South Dakota State
W
Home
Great West

Southern Utah
W
Home
Great West

Stony Brook
W
Home
Indy

Southern Utah
L
Away
Great West

Liberty
L
Home
Big South

Northeastern
W
Away
CAA

Austin Peay
W
Home
OVC

Cent Conn State
W
Home
NEC

Butler
W
Home
Pioneer

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

Valparaiso
W
Home
Pioneer

Albany
W
Home
NEC

Valparaiso
W
Home
Pioneer

Duquense
W
Home
NEC

Dayton
W
Home
Pioneer

Morehead State
W
Home
Pioneer

Duquense
W
Home
NEC

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

Butler
W
Home
Pioneer

Robert Morris
W
Home
NEC

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

Jesus, would you guys just move to the NEC or something already. Maybe you'd make the playoffs, it would balance our schedules out, and we wouldn't have to listen to you cry about getting screwed out of the playoffs/by officials anymore.

Pure dog ****

Guilty as charged. We have an Athletic Director that schedules it that way. i have heard the players, former HC Wolford, and fans all say they dislike our feeble OOC schedule. The AD has done that to MBB for years also. IMO, we should drop one of the 1AAA teams and add an away game versus a regional MAC rival, which would have the added benefit of generating way more revenue than these farce home games. I don't expect it to change anytime soon, as this AD shows zero signs of being held accountable for his incompetence.

clenz
February 23rd, 2016, 11:07 AM
Guilty as charged. We have an Athletic Director that schedules it that way. i have heard the players, former HC Wolford, and fans all say they dislike our feeble OOC schedule. The AD has done that to MBB for years also. IMO, we should drop one of the 1AAA teams and add an away game versus a regional MAC rival, which would have the added benefit of generating way more revenue than these farce home games. I don't expect it to change anytime soon, as this AD shows zero signs of being held accountable for his incompetence.
I'm actually shocked that's the reply I got.

It's always amazed me how poorly YSU schedules. It's why I never trust YSU. They rack up 3 or 4 wins the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season and everyone is like "OH MAN, THIS IS YSU'S YEAR", only to repeatedly fall flat.

This leads to a yearly "clenz hates YSU" cryfest from the 8 YSU posters that only post from Aug to early Oct. until they see I was right, again, and leave when YSU loses 4 of it's last 5

BisonFan02
February 23rd, 2016, 11:41 AM

It's always amazed me how poorly YSU schedules. It's why I never trust YSU. They rack up 3 or 4 wins the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season and everyone is like "OH MAN, THIS IS YSU'S YEAR", only to repeatedly fall flat.

This leads to a yearly "clenz hates YSU" cryfest from the 8 YSU posters that only post from Aug to early Oct. until they see I was right, again, and leave when YSU loses 4 of it's last 5

Hater.

Penguin Nation
February 23rd, 2016, 11:45 AM

Exactly right. These 1AAA games don't build depth. Sure players low on the depth chart see action, but flaws and weaknesses are never exposed by a NEC team.....the weaknesses are exposed in the conference games.....when it may be too far along to fix them. It's scheduling malpractice.

Sycamore62
February 23rd, 2016, 11:45 AM

What's wrong with hating YSU. I hate all of you. No metaphors can express how much.

BisonFan02
February 23rd, 2016, 11:47 AM
What's wrong with hating YSU. I hate all of you. No metaphors can express how much.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1M9fmo1WAFVK0/giphy.gif

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 23rd, 2016, 12:14 PM

Oh come on now, make it up to the Bison game this year!!

IBleedYellow
February 23rd, 2016, 01:02 PM

But you guys have beat us.

You have bragging rights.

IBleedYellow
February 23rd, 2016, 01:04 PM
Exactly right. These 1AAA games don't build depth. Sure players low on the depth chart see action, but flaws and weaknesses are never exposed by a NEC team.....the weaknesses are exposed in the conference games.....when it may be too far along to fix them. It's scheduling malpractice.

You should stick around here. Especially during the regular season.

Sycamore62
February 23rd, 2016, 01:13 PM
Oh come on now, make it up to the Bison game this year!!

Id like to take a 2 seasons and hit the places i havent been. all the Dakotas and I still need to watch a game at UNI, Youngstown and Southwest Missiouri Statexsmiley_wix. Its a tough sell for my wife but I might be able to pull off a Dakota game if we were still in the hunt.

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2016, 04:51 PM
Id like to take a 2 seasons and hit the places i havent been. all the Dakotas and I still need to watch a game at UNI, Youngstown and Southwest Missiouri Statexsmiley_wix. Its a tough sell for my wife but I might be able to pull off a Dakota game if we were still in the hunt.

Shoot come later in the season and hunt all you want! Pheasant hunting is a great time! Then you can tell the wife you're killing two birds with one stone!

The Yo Show
February 23rd, 2016, 05:32 PM

Dear YSU,
-8 games against the NEC

South Dakota State
W
Home
Great West

Southern Utah
W
Home
Great West

Stony Brook
W
Home
Indy

Southern Utah
L
Away
Great West

Liberty
L
Home
Big South

Northeastern
W
Away
CAA

Austin Peay
W
Home
OVC

Cent Conn State
W
Home
NEC

Butler
W
Home
Pioneer

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

Valparaiso
W
Home
Pioneer

Albany
W
Home
NEC

Valparaiso
W
Home
Pioneer

Duquense
W
Home
NEC

Dayton
W
Home
Pioneer

Morehead State
W
Home
Pioneer

Duquense
W
Home
NEC

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

Butler
W
Home
Pioneer

Robert Morris
W
Home
NEC

Saint Francis
W
Home
NEC

Pure dog ****

For the record, I also agree that YSU needs to adjust their FCS OOC schedule. I agree with Penguin Nation. Would be amazing if we could drop one of the NEC teams and get a MAC team. I'm not really picky though, I'll take a playoff caliber FCS team. Although, I do like the idea of the MAC team more. Better for YSU regional recruiting battles, especially if we win.

Penguin Nation
February 24th, 2016, 11:34 AM
For the record, I also agree that YSU needs to adjust their FCS OOC schedule. I agree with Penguin Nation. Would be amazing if we could drop one of the NEC teams and get a MAC team. I'm not really picky though, I'll take a playoff caliber FCS team. Although, I do like the idea of the MAC team more. Better for YSU regional recruiting battles, especially if we win.

I thought since YSU was undefeated in the NEC portion of our schedule, we should have won the NEC autobid. :) xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 24th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I thought since YSU was undefeated in the NEC portion of our schedule, we should have won the NEC autobid. :) xthumbsupx

Truthfully, that is a pretty sad FCS OOC schedule basically from 2009 and on....xsmhx

It is going to be fun watching Bo blow a gasket in the FD this year.....xnodx....I have great seats right behind the opposing teams bench....xlolx:)

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Truthfully, that is a pretty sad FCS OOC schedule basically from 2009 and on....xsmhx

It is going to be fun watching Bo blow a gasket in the FD this year.....xnodx....I have great seats right behind the opposing teams bench....xlolx:)
I didn't include non-D1s, and this was before the MVFC time but go look at YSU's OOC during the early 90s. It's all D2s, MEAC and bottom of the MVFC/CAA

W

09-01-1990

Bloomsburg (PA)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-08-1990

Edinboro (PA)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-15-1990

Northeastern (MA)

Boston, MA

W

09-22-1990

Eastern Michigan

Youngstown, OH

W

09-29-1990

Akron (OH)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-06-1990

Western Kentucky

Bowling Green, KY

W

10-13-1990

Liberty (VA)

Lynchburg, VA

W

10-20-1990

James Madison (VA)

Harrisonburg, VA

W

11-03-1990

Ohio

Youngstown, OH

W

11-10-1990

Towson (MD)

Towson, MD

W

11-17-1990

Maine

Youngstown, OH

W

09-07-1991

Edinboro (PA)

Youngstown, OH

L

09-14-1991

Delaware St.

Dover, DE

W

09-21-1991

Morgan St. (MD)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-28-1991

Northeastern (MA)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-05-1991

Stephen F. Austin (TX)

Nacogdoches, TX

L

10-12-1991

Akron (OH)

Akron, OH

L

10-19-1991

Liberty (VA)

Youngstown, OH

W

11-02-1991

Georgia Southern

Statesboro, GA

W

11-09-1991

James Madison (VA)

Youngstown, OH

W

11-16-1991

Slippery Rock (PA)

Youngstown, OH

W

11-23-1991

Towson (MD)

Towson, MD

W

09-05-1992

Clarion (PA)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-12-1992

Delaware St.

Youngstown, OH

W

09-19-1992

Texas St.

San Marcos, TX

L

09-26-1992

James Madison (VA)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-03-1992

Indiana St.

Terre Haute, IN

W

10-10-1992

Illinois St.

Youngstown, OH

L

10-17-1992

Northeastern (MA)

Boston, MA

W

10-31-1992

Eastern Illinois

Youngstown, OH

W

11-07-1992

Ohio

Athens, OH

T

11-14-1992

Akron (OH)

Akron, OH

W

11-21-1992

Georgia Southern

Youngstown, OH

W

09-02-1993

Western Michigan

Kalamazoo, MI

L

09-11-1993

Stephen F. Austin (TX)

Nacogdoches, TX

W

09-18-1993

Morgan St. (MD)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-02-1993

Eastern Kentucky

Richmond, KY

W

10-09-1993

Delaware St.

Youngstown, OH

W

10-16-1993

Liberty (VA)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-23-1993

Samford (AL)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-30-1993

Buffalo (NY)

Youngstown, OH

W

11-06-1993

Indiana St.

Youngstown, OH

L

11-13-1993

Illinois St.

Normal, IL

W

11-20-1993

Akron (OH)

Akron, OH

T

09-01-1994

Stephen F. Austin (TX)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-10-1994

Delaware St.

Dover, DE

W

09-17-1994

Eastern Kentucky

Youngstown, OH

W

09-24-1994

Slippery Rock (PA)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-01-1994

McNeese St. (LA)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-08-1994

North Alabama

Youngstown, OH

W

10-15-1994

Kent St. (OH)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-29-1994

Akron (OH)

Youngstown, OH

W

11-05-1994

Buffalo (NY)

Buffalo, NY

W

11-12-1994

Massachusetts

Amherst, MA

W

11-19-1994

Indiana St.

Terre Haute, IN

L

09-02-1995

Kent St. (OH)

Kent, OH

L

09-09-1995

Stephen F. Austin (TX)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-16-1995

Slippery Rock (PA)

Youngstown, OH

L

09-23-1995

McNeese St. (LA)

Lake Charles, LA

L

10-07-1995

Delaware

Newark, DE

L

10-14-1995

Central Michigan

Youngstown, OH

W

10-21-1995

Wingate (NC)

Youngstown, OH

L

10-28-1995

Indiana St.

Youngstown, OH

W

11-04-1995

Akron (OH)

Akron, OH

L

11-11-1995

Buffalo (NY)

Youngstown, OH

L

11-18-1995

Illinois St.

Youngstown, OH

08-29-1996

Wofford (SC)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-07-1996

Slippery Rock (PA)

Youngstown, OH

L

09-14-1996

Kent St. (OH)

Kent, OH

L

09-21-1996

Illinois St.

Normal, IL

W

09-28-1996

Clarion (PA)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-12-1996

Buffalo (NY)

Buffalo, NY

W

10-19-1996

Ashland (OH)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-26-1996

Northwestern St. (LA)

Youngstown, OH

L

11-02-1996

Northern Iowa

Youngstown, OH

W

11-09-1996

Missouri St.

Springfield, MO

W

11-16-1996

Hofstra (NY)

Hempstead, NY

W

08-28-1997

Slippery Rock (PA)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-06-1997

Kent St. (OH)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-20-1997

Boston (MA)

Boston, MA

W

09-27-1997

Hofstra (NY)

Youngstown, OH

W

10-04-1997

Indiana St.

Terre Haute, IN

W

10-11-1997

Buffalo (NY)

Youngstown, OH

L

10-18-1997

Northern Iowa

Cedar Falls, IA

W

11-01-1997

Illinois St.

Youngstown, OH

W

11-08-1997

Southern Illinois

Carbondale, IL

W

11-15-1997

Missouri St.

Youngstown, OH

L

11-22-1997

Western Illinois

Youngstown, OH

W

09-03-1998

Clarion (PA)

Youngstown, OH

W

09-12-1998

Kent St. (OH)

Kent, OH

W

09-19-1998

Indiana St.

Youngstown, OH

L

10-03-1998

Western Illinois

Macomb, IL

W

10-10-1998

Southern Illinois

Youngstown, OH

L

10-17-1998

Delaware

Youngstown, OH

W

10-24-1998

New Haven (CT)

Youngstown, OH

L

10-31-1998

Central Florida

Orlando, FL

L

11-07-1998

Northern Iowa

Youngstown, OH

L

11-14-1998

Illinois St.

Normal, IL

W

11-21-1998

Missouri St.

Springfield, MO

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 24th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Holy crap clenzy.....kudos to you on the research there....xthumbsupx

clenz
March 7th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Not football related but found this funny...

Wichita State is the the basketball world what the worst of NDSU and Iowa are if they had a baby that was strictly the concentrated worst parts of the fan base....and that's on a good day.

Well, they think they are WAY above the MVC and after UNI beat them for the second time in less than a month and knocked them out of the conference tournament their tin foil "The MVC hates WSU" conspiracies really started flying.

The best one I came across, and I wish I was creative enough to make this up...

Casey's General Store.

Casey's is a major sponsor of the MVC, and many of the MVC schools. It's also one of the key sponsors of the MVC tournament. Well, it's an Iowa based company with more stores in Iowa than any other state and turns our some of the "big wigs" (to use their words) went to UNI.....I think you can put 2 and 2 together with where they were going with that.

BisonFan02
March 7th, 2016, 04:37 PM

Wichita State is the the basketball world what the worst of NDSU and Iowa are if they had a baby that was strictly the concentrated worst parts of the fan base....and that's on a good day.

Well, they think they are WAY above the MVC and after UNI beat them for the second time in less than a month and knocked them out of the conference tournament their tin foil "The MVC hates WSU" conspiracies really started flying.

Casey's General Store.

Casey's is a major sponsor of the MVC, and many of the MVC schools. It's also one of the key sponsors of the MVC tournament. Well, it's an Iowa based company with more stores in Iowa than any other state and turns our some of the "big wigs" (to use their words) went to UNI.....I think you can put 2 and 2 together with where they were going with that.

They think Casey's puts too much bacon on their pizzas too? :D

clenz
March 7th, 2016, 04:38 PM
They think Casey's puts too much bacon on their pizzas too? :D
They actually think Casey's is just a "poormans Quick Trip"....xlolx

BisonFan02
March 7th, 2016, 04:39 PM

Wawa or GTFO.... xlolx

Thumper 76
March 7th, 2016, 06:38 PM

Holy god, they're delusional and retarded.

PantherRob82
March 7th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Quick Trip is the bomb. I actually like Kwik Star and QT better than Casey's, but Casey's is definitely where it is at for breakfast pizza.

dewey
March 7th, 2016, 09:26 PM

Casey's General Store.

It always makes me wonder when someone writes something so profoundly idiotic do they actually believe what they write or do they just throw crap out.

FWIW I think it is clearly a conspiracy by the Casey's management to hold down Wichita Statexlolx

Dewey

clenz
March 7th, 2016, 09:37 PM
He's backtracked to say he was kidding but you don't just throw **** like that out there if you don't actually believe it first.

Others actually agreed with it too.

JayJ79
March 7th, 2016, 10:35 PM
technically it is "QuikTrip", without the 'c'
but I doubt anyone really cares.

clenz
March 8th, 2016, 07:13 AM
technically it is "QuikTrip", without the 'c'
but I doubt anyone really cares.
Likely why you're the only one to say anything...

http://pic.kekenet.com/2012/1228/50941356701178.jpg

Sycamore62
March 8th, 2016, 08:29 AM
I think I can speak for the rest of the MVC and say that they do hate Wichita St. If not then Ill at least speak for myself and say I hate Wichita St. This is actually pretty impressive because I literally dont care about or watch one sport in which they participate.

clenz
March 8th, 2016, 08:39 AM
I think I can speak for the rest of the MVC and say that they do hate Wichita St. If not then Ill at least speak for myself and say I hate Wichita St. This is actually pretty impressive because I literally dont care about or watch one sport in which they participate.
That tells you everything you need to know.

The entire arena in St. Louis is cheering against you? That's not a conspiracy. It's because you're a bunch of whiney f-bags with the supreme leader of whiney f-bags leading your team. Hell, he got in a staring and yelling contest with the 2nd in charge of the conference DURING a game in St. Louis this year.

REALBird
March 8th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Casey's General Store.

Not the rest of the MVC's fault that they don't have a Casey's. They deserved to lose for that fact alone. Banish them along with YSU. (Just kidding YSU fans....well.......yeah...just kidding!)

mmiller_34
March 9th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Not the rest of the MVC's fault that they don't have a Casey's. They deserved to lose for that fact alone. Banish them along with YSU. (Just kidding YSU fans....well.......yeah...just kidding!)

Casey's just started accepting Apple Pay. I can now pay for Casey's breakfast pizza with my phone xbowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 11th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Any AGSers going to the spring game this year?

This will be the first time in 2 decades that I will be around to go....probably have to go this year.

Is there a tailgate for the spring games?

BisonFan02
March 11th, 2016, 08:49 PM

This will be the first time in 2 decades that I will be around to go....probably have to go this year.

There is a tailgate at the spring game and all of the spots are "first come, first serve". I doubt I will be able to make it with work this spring.

TheKingpin28
March 12th, 2016, 12:09 AM
Thinking about it since I can almost see the dome from my house.

IBleedYellow
March 12th, 2016, 07:53 AM

Of course there is tailgating. This is America and it is a football game, right?

I'm hoping on going... Then I can finally get some honey?

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 13th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Of course there is tailgating. This is America and it is a football game, right?

You bet.

If I'm not working I'll bring some!

xthumbsupx

BisonFan02
March 13th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Sure thing sugar tits.... Wait, what? xlolx

Thumper 76
March 13th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Sure thing sugar tits.... Wait, what? xlolx

Where do you guys put the honey? Not so sure on those drinks now :S xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 27th, 2016, 10:35 AM
Which team do Valley fans think might be a dark horse this year? Or which team might make the biggest push from bottom part of the league last year to maybe upper tier this year?

Youngstown finished tied for 6th last year along with South Dakota. Could these teams make a run for a top spot in the Valley?

IMO, I think YSU could be a team to make a push to the top of the conference but USD has a ways to go.

Missouri State? -- No
SIU? -- No

POD Knows
March 27th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Which team do Valley fans think might be a dark horse this year? Or which team might make the biggest push from bottom part of the league last year to maybe upper tier this year?

Youngstown finished tied for 6th last year along with South Dakota. Could these teams make a run for a top spot in the Valley?

IMO, I think YSU could be a team to make a push to the top of the conference but USD has a ways to go.

Missouri State? -- No
SIU? -- No

I would agree on YSU, they will be better than last year, or not. Who the hell knows?

Missouri State-embarrassing
SIU-Also a little bit of an unknown
South Dakota-I just hope they crush those ass hats from north of Hillsboro, ND (UND for the geographically challenged) and Weber State.
SDSU-The always overrated and underperforming Jacks will probably make the playoffs and flame out
UNI-Solid, but a always a bridesmaid as long as the Bison are around
ISU-R-They are going to be worse that predicted I believe. Book it.
ISU-B-Who??

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 27th, 2016, 11:41 AM
UNI and NDSU are the favorites this year IMO. I'll give the edge to UNI because the Bison have to go there this year.

YSU and SDSU are the 2nd tier with maybe Ill State and Ind State pushing them....maybe. All the others have no chance at the Valley title.

BisonFan02
March 27th, 2016, 11:56 AM
UNI and NDSU are the favorites this year IMO. I'll give the edge to UNI because the Bison have to go there this year.

YSU and SDSU are the 2nd tier with maybe Ill State and Ind State pushing them....maybe. All the others have no chance at the Valley title.

A 1 loss team will win the Valley. NDSU may lose to UNI, but UNI will lose 1-2 games in the valley they shouldn't like usual.

Bisonator
March 27th, 2016, 12:12 PM
NDSU is the team to beat. Shocker I know....:D

UNI will be a close second I think and could well challenge for the title this year if they get off to a decent start. Seems to be there downfall every yearxnodx

SDSU will be good again but can they make the jump needed to be a top team? Doubtful.;)

YSU will be the mystery this year. Can they improve and make the PO's under Bo? When will Bo blow his gasket this year? You know it's only a matter of time.xlolx

ISUr takes a big step back this year I think but who knows. Any Redbird fans want to give some insight into the possible starting QB and RB this year?xcoffeex

WIU back to the bottom? Have to see how the new regime handles things.xconfusedx

USD still battling for the top of the lower 3rd this year but look for Nielson to get that program turned around.:(

SIU no idea on this years team but seems like a good spot for the skinny dogs.:p

ISUb still bad. Not as bad as MSU.xsmhx

MSU just terrible.xembarrassedx

added SIU which I somehow forgot about lol

BisonTru
March 28th, 2016, 12:45 AM
NDSU- Easy favorite with what they have returning.

SDSU- SDSU rarely has a ton of big time talent, but they always seem to be at least solid at every phase of the game. At the end of the season they always are in the playoffs, I don't see 2016 being any different.

UNI- I'm mixed on UNI. They have a ton of talent on the defensive line, but lose a ton on the back end of that defense. Just like NDSU they go by that defense and I really don't know who they have to replace the guys they are losing.

YSU- Talent's there, IMO. Pelini's easy to not like, but he's still getting millions from Nebraska. We'll see how they do in their sophomore season with Bo.

USD- Glenn had them trending up, Neilson keeps that momentum heading in the right direction.

ISUr- They are replacing some very talented individuals. It'll be interesting to see who emerges, but Spack seems to have been doing well in the recruiting trail. They seem to be really excited about QB Kolbe. I haven't watched him much, but they may go how he goes.

WIU- Trenton Norvell, IMO, is the best passer in the league. They may shock some people in his senior season. Still can't put them much higher with the new staff.

ISUb- This is where I see a drop off significantly. Not expecting much from the trees.

SIU- Lot's of offensive stats, maybe knock off someone they shouldn't, but at the end of the day defense prevails in the Valley.

MSU- Easy pick for the bottom, but FWIW, USD was a lock for bottom two last year, and ISUb was the consensus bottom two years ago and they made the playoffs. So....maybe.. I guess.

clenz
March 28th, 2016, 08:35 AM
NDSU- Easy favorite with what they have returning.

SDSU- SDSU rarely has a ton of big time talent, but they always seem to be at least solid at every phase of the game. At the end of the season they always are in the playoffs, I don't see 2016 being any different.

UNI- I'm mixed on UNI. They have a ton of talent on the defensive line, but lose a ton on the back end of that defense. Just like NDSU they go by that defense and I really don't know who they have to replace the guys they are losing.

YSU- Talent's there, IMO. Pelini's easy to not like, but he's still getting millions from Nebraska. We'll see how they do in their sophomore season with Bo.

USD- Glenn had them trending up, Neilson keeps that momentum heading in the right direction.

ISUr- They are replacing some very talented individuals. It'll be interesting to see who emerges, but Spack seems to have been doing well in the recruiting trail. They seem to be really excited about QB Kolbe. I haven't watched him much, but they may go how he goes.

WIU- Trenton Norvell, IMO, is the best passer in the league. They may shock some people in his senior season. Still can't put them much higher with the new staff.

ISUb- This is where I see a drop off significantly. Not expecting much from the trees.

SIU- Lot's of offensive stats, maybe knock off someone they shouldn't, but at the end of the day defense prevails in the Valley.

MSU- Easy pick for the bottom, but FWIW, USD was a lock for bottom two last year, and ISUb was the consensus bottom two years ago and they made the playoffs. So....maybe.. I guess.
Here's what I'll say about UNI's defense.

Name me the last time UNI's defense truly struggled, or didn't just plug in new guys.

Remember when people thought there'd be no way to replace Xavier Williams and Mac O'Brien this past season? Before them Ben Boothby? Before him Everette Pediscleaux, Chuck Kinney, Wes Lane, James Ruffin, Mark Huygens, etc...? All were all conference guys.
The LB core has been doubted every time they had to replace a Farley, or Gacke, or Fort, or Brannen Carter, or De'Veon Harris, or Jamar Thompson, or Josh Mahoney etc... Every single of those was 1st team all conference and/or DPOY.
The DB's aren't much different. 2011 saw starters of Garrett Scott, Wilmont Wellington, Varmah Sonie, JJ Swain and 2012 freshman Hall and Kilfoy stepped on the field. Prior to that group it was Darrell Lloyd, Nick Nelson, Quentin School, Terrell McMoore, Sean McMoore, Jeremy Robertson, Adam Roberts. All were AC of some kind.

Those names only go back to 2007 and are off the top of my head. It's entirely possible that defensive backfield isn't good, I would never say it's not possible. Will there be a drop off? Sure. There's 2 draft picks and a PFA leaving. That's 3 guys who will be in the NFL come August no longer patrolling the defensive backfield. There's bound to be a drop. I have no idea who steps in but I do know Ray Buchanan Jr., DJ Singleton, Rashadeem Gray, Willie Beamon and Jamison Whiting have a bunch of talent.

Remember, in terms of talent top to bottom UNI is pretty well even with NDSU - and we all know how well it goes over when someone wonders how well a bunch of new guys will do stepping onto the field for NDSU.

The bigger question mark will be how Bailey is used in the new/old offense that looks to be built on a power run game with take the top off style passing routes.

ST_Lawson
March 28th, 2016, 08:52 AM

Yea, you never really know when you bring in a new staff, but I can say that so far, what I've been seeing is exciting. I can't really speak too specifically about Nielson's coaching style, but Fisher seems to be a lot more involved and emotional (in a good way). We don't have a ton of questions marks in terms of gaps from last year...Norvell will still be throwing to Lenoir and Borsellino, just like the previous 3 years...Brett Taylor will likely be our leading tackler again this year as a Junior...and our O-line overall has a ton of experience.

It's hard to say how it'll pan out with the new staff, but it feels like there's a "fire" there that wasn't present under Coach Nielson, in addition to a much more "transparent" process, with Fisher and his staff being much more active online than Nielson was.

Like you said, we may not jump ahead right away this year, but with the talent we have coming back, I don't see us dropping back much at all either. I think the people predicting we drop down near the bottom will be surprised by Western this year.

clenz
March 28th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Didn't WIU lose a bunch on the LOS

ST_Lawson
March 28th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Didn't WIU lose a bunch on the LOS

D-line, yes. Everything else is essentially the same personnel as last year + 1 year more experience.

REALBird
March 28th, 2016, 03:25 PM
ISUr takes a big step back this year I think but who knows. Any Redbird fans want to give some insight into the possible starting QB and RB this year?xcoffeex

A lot of people seem to be pretty high on Jake Kolbe at QB. Not sure I'm in that camp as of yet.
He looked good in mop up time over Iowa. 11-15, 147, 2 TD (keep in mind that was probably against Iowa's 3rd string)
Was pedestrian against UNI in his first start. 11-16, 80 yards, INT (UNI will make most QB's look bad, but aside from Coprich and Roberson as a decoy, this kid was rattled)
Against YSU...oh man.... 2-4, 15 yards. One series and the kid got yanked.

Prior to last season Illinois St. was starting new players at every position on OFF except QB (Roberson) and RB (Coprich).

Going into this year, Kolbe gets his entire OL back, and unlike last year where the receiving corp was a HUGE question mark. He returns receivers Anthony Warrum (58 rec, 1248 yds, 15 TD, 22.2 avg), Christian Gibbs who was injured and missed at least 3 games last year (19-348-2), 20.2 avg, and Anthony Fowler (16-278-2, 17.4 avg). Depth was definitely an issue last year with the loss of Jeremy Graves - transfer from Cincinnati prior to the start of the season. Graves is healthy and expected to compete for PT along with Boston College WR transfer Chase Pankey.

Probably the most notable absence from last year and spot that was sorely missed was at the TE position, where nobody was really able to step in an replace James O'Shaugnessy. Hoping to get better run, pass protection and catches from that spot this year.

At RB.......the early line is running back by committee.

George Moreira, 5'10" - 205 RB is more of a between the tackles power back. Played primarily on kickoff returns
Jamal Towns, 5'6" - 175lb running back is more of a speed back. Played primarily on 3rd downs. Probably a better receiver out of the backfield.

Both are expected to be pushed by incoming Frosh....

Jordan Birch, 6'0" 205 lbs (Andover, Kansas)
James Robinson, 5' 10" (Rockford, Illinois).....kid leave HS as the #1 IHSA all time leading rusher. Had offer from Iowa but felt he would have a chance to earn more PT at Illinois State.

The DEF side of the ball........xbangx

The secondary was atrocious to say the least. The Richmond game says all that you need to know about last years DEF.

The loss of Alex Koucor to a season ending injury didn't help an already abysmal DEF. Several players expected to shore up the DEF: LaDarius Newbold (Texas Tech), Stephen Amoako (Oregon), R'yone Winters (Wyoming), Reggie Spearman (Iowa), David Kinney (Indiana) underachieved in ways you cannot believe. Of the list only Newbold remains on the current roster.

Although they took their lumps last year, I expect to see some improvement from Luther Kirk (So.), Davante Harris (Jr.), Alex Kocour (Jr.), and Drashane Glass (Jr.). The LB corp will be tested as will the DEF line. If Illinois State can show some improvement on the DEF side of the ball, there may be some hope.

Lots of ?????? with this team. Not as high on it as some may be, but depending on whether Kolbe can display the confidence he did against Iowa. The Redbird OFF will be much further along than the DEF. The question is whether they can keep the DEF off the field for long stretches.

Just my two cents.

ST_Lawson
April 13th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Couple of things:

1. Casey's now has an app (https://www.caseys.com/caseys_app). When you download it, you get a coupon for a free slice of pizza and a free 12/16 oz can of Mountain Dew Kickstart.

2. In actual football-related news, maybe this is pretty standard for other schools, but our new coaching staff is making a huge push to get our football alumni involved in the program. Apparently there's going to be over 100 football alumni coming to our spring game (and accompanying golf outing and other events), including many who ended up playing in the NFL. Two of our more recent alumni who were in the NFL (Rich Seubert and Jason Williams) are going to be the honorary captains of the two "sides" for the spring game. This is pretty big because the last couple of football staffs have done little to keep football alumni involved/interested in the program, which has led to a big decrease in donations from that group. One group of football alumni based in the Chicago area have started meeting regularly to help bring together private funding for major facility improvements (because that $ sure isn't coming from the state at this point).
http://goleathernecks.com/news/2016/4/12/football-honorary-captains-named-for-spring-game.aspx?path=football

Twentysix
April 13th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Couple of things:

1. Casey's now has an app (https://www.caseys.com/caseys_app). When you download it, you get a coupon for a free slice of pizza and a free 12/16 oz can of Mountain Dew Kickstart.

2. In actual football-related news, maybe this is pretty standard for other schools, but our new coaching staff is making a huge push to get our football alumni involved in the program. Apparently there's going to be over 100 football alumni coming to our spring game (and accompanying golf outing and other events), including many who ended up playing in the NFL. Two of our more recent alumni who were in the NFL (Rich Seubert and Jason Williams) are going to be the honorary captains of the two "sides" for the spring game. This is pretty big because the last couple of football staffs have done little to keep football alumni involved/interested in the program, which has led to a big decrease in donations from that group. One group of football alumni based in the Chicago area have started meeting regularly to help bring together private funding for major facility improvements (because that $ sure isn't coming from the state at this point).
http://goleathernecks.com/news/2016/4/12/football-honorary-captains-named-for-spring-game.aspx?path=football

Yeah we usually have quite a few alumni at our spring game to participate in the National Champion ring ceremony. xsmiley_wix

Bisonator
April 13th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Couple of things:

Not sure why more schools don't get their almuni involved more. NDSU has been doing it for awhile now. Good job by WIU's new staff!

ST_Lawson
April 13th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Not sure why more schools don't get their almuni involved more. NDSU has been doing it for awhile now. Good job by WIU's new staff!

Thanks. Yea...for some reason it just didn't seem to be a priority with the last couple of coaching staffs. It just seems like a "no-brainer"...I'd bet that most of the more successful football programs (like NDSU) do something along these lines.

IBleedYellow
April 13th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Thanks. Yea...for some reason it just didn't seem to be a priority with the last couple of coaching staffs. It just seems like a "no-brainer"...I'd bet that most of the more successful football programs (like NDSU) do something along these lines.

Yeah.

Something even more special: The final practice before the Title Game, it's open to the public to watch, and at the final whistle the Coach will welcome all former players onto the field to just get around with the current team.

https://twitter.com/NDSUathletics/status/685589937144467456

The Yo Show
April 13th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I love my penguins, and while I'm hopeful for the season, I can't come out and just make baseless statements due to my being a fan. So my realistic expectations for the valley rankings:

1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. SDSU
4. YSU
5. WIU
6. ISU(r)
7. ISU(b)
8. USD
9. SIU
10. MSU

The fan in me hopes for a surprise and YSU is in the top 3, but it could not even be as rosy as my predicted 4. Its hard to say. We have a great defense returning. Our passing offense is a ? for a variety of reasons. We shall see. I do think potential is there, just not sure there will be capitalization on it.

The Yo Show
April 13th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Also, Clenz, as delayed as this may be thank you for posting the conference record stuff here for all the teams! :Dxthumbsupx
I noticed you didn't put the link in your signature yet, but it is a freaking work of art. Thanks for your hard work.

Thumper 76
April 13th, 2016, 09:18 PM
I love my penguins, and while I'm hopeful for the season, I can't come out and just make baseless statements due to my being a fan. So my realistic expectations for the valley rankings:

1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. SDSU
4. YSU
5. WIU
6. ISU(r)
7. ISU(b)
8. USD
9. SIU
10. MSU

The fan in me hopes for a surprise and YSU is in the top 3, but it could not even be as rosy as my predicted 4. Its hard to say. We have a great defense returning. Our passing offense is a ? for a variety of reasons. We shall see. I do think potential is there, just not sure there will be capitalization on it.

YSU feels similar to SDSU to me in the way they tend to really struggle with the extremely physical teams (UNI and NDSU) just to a larger extent, due to the fact they have a bad time in general with SDSU as well. Seems to be the general way of the conference honestly. The two most physical teams traditionally (UNI and NDSU) tend to be in the mix for the title year in year out, a team that isn't as physical but has a year with great talent (ISUr for example) and generally SDSU just missing out being what I would consider as having the third most physical reputation of the mix. They just seem to be missing the attitude edge when they play NDSU and UNI, always seeming to underperform against those two teams. I would put YSU as the team right behind SDSU as a program anyways. Generally has the talent, but lacks the toughness and physicality it takes to win this league, which is why they tend to fold as it gets later and colder. Maybe Bo eventually turns that around for them, just as I hope the new ObLine coach at SDSU gives the line the nasty edge they have been missing and is what holds them back from getting over the hump in the marker game. And they are going to need it pretty badly playing at UNI AND NDSU this year.

Twentysix
April 13th, 2016, 09:22 PM
YSU feels similar to SDSU to me in the way they tend to really struggle with the extremely physical teams (UNI and NDSU) just to a larger extent, due to the fact they have a bad time in general with SDSU as well. Seems to be the general way of the conference honestly. The two most physical teams traditionally (UNI and NDSU) tend to be in the mix for the title year in year out, a team that isn't as physical but has a year with great talent (ISUr for example) and generally SDSU just missing out being what I would consider as having the third most physical reputation of the mix. They just seem to be missing the attitude edge when they play NDSU and UNI, always seeming to underperform against those two teams. I would put YSU as the team right behind SDSU as a program anyways. Generally has the talent, but lacks the toughness and physicality it takes to win this league, which is why they tend to fold as it gets later and colder. Maybe Bo eventually turns that around for them, just as I hope the new ObLine coach at SDSU gives the line the nasty edge they have been missing and is what holds them back from getting over the hump in the marker game. And they are going to need it pretty badly playing at UNI AND NDSU this year.

Yeah, good luck with that. I expect to win at Iowa. Weer gon b gud. ;)