PDA

View Full Version : MVFC 2016 Edition

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Mayville Bison
August 16th, 2016, 01:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqZhNKIEsg

NDSU Season Trailer.

I thought they should've stopped at the 1:30 mark.........and then they said the flagship word xlmaox

LeeshaJo
August 16th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Can we just have football games already... PLEASE
xbawlingxSo tired of off season.

Bison56
August 16th, 2016, 01:33 PM
SDSU hype video/new song by former Jackrabbit player. Honestly think it'll be a great song for tailgating. Not going to be a chart topper, but it's not Hot Hot Hot xlolx

https://youtu.be/wCf0Hj34RUk

Im sorry but lol that guy has no song writing talent. That music with the lyrics was awful, it mixed together like water and oil. That. was. brutal.

Professor Chaos
August 16th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I've been lurking AGS for sometime now... occasionally typing a response and deleting it.... but this was where my silence ends. That song is absolute trash......
**** off Lahey! Go get drunk with Bo-bandy!

:p

POD Knows
August 16th, 2016, 02:03 PM
It is honestly only slightly better than "Cheney"...

Cheney is a way better song, at least the guys doing Cheney were trying to be funny, I think.

Schism55
August 16th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Randers going to make liqour-cicles?

POD Knows
August 16th, 2016, 02:06 PM
That music is horrible.

Seriously, that Jack video is right in there with Hot! Hot! Hot! and the like. I really liked the crowd shots with nobody there, they need those extra seats. Brutal, this video should replace waterboarding or electrical shock.

Yotes21
August 16th, 2016, 02:06 PM
I've heard worse. It's just so repetetive. How many times can you say Jack Attack in 4 minutes?

POD Knows
August 16th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I've heard worse. It's just so repetetive. How many times can you say Jack Attack in 4 minutes?

63 apparently, and the used the melody from Final Countdown, maybe one of the worst songs of all time

Thumper 76
August 16th, 2016, 02:17 PM

Wayyyy too many.

Bisonator
August 16th, 2016, 08:18 PM
SDSU hype video/new song by former Jackrabbit player. Honestly think it'll be a great song for tailgating. Not going to be a chart topper, but it's not Hot Hot Hot xlolx

https://youtu.be/wCf0Hj34RUk

Good gawd that's awful. xholyx

PantherRob82
August 16th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Why can I not find "Cheney"?

Thumper 76
August 16th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Why can I not find "Cheney"?

It's in another thread, I'll try to find it

Found it: Heartstopping WINS over FBS

Since this thread has devolved into posting hilariously awful music video parodies..... I'll submit this one, which I think is actually hilarious.

youtube video

[url]https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eanygivensaturday% 2Ecom%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D2362161&share_tid=183420&share_fid=31927&share_type=t&share_pid=2362161 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NksDSgKZ8&feature=player_embedded)

BisonFan02
August 16th, 2016, 10:27 PM
JACK ATTACK!! Ahhhh SKEET SKEET SKEET SKEET! :D

PantherRob82
August 16th, 2016, 10:45 PM
It's in another thread, I'll try to find it

Found it: Heartstopping WINS over FBS

Since this thread has devolved into posting hilariously awful music video parodies..... I'll submit this one, which I think is actually hilarious.

youtube video

[url]https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eanygivensaturday% 2Ecom%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D2362161&share_tid=183420&share_fid=31927&share_type=t&share_pid=2362161 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NksDSgKZ8&feature=player_embedded)

It fell off the first page so I didn't see it yet.

Bisonwinagn
August 16th, 2016, 11:19 PM
I'm thinking this will be the first year in a long time there will be multiple teams who struggle to get wins in Conference. SIU, IndSt, MSU may only end up beating each other. The good news about having more bottom teams it will give more wins to the top resulting in better seeds and more playoff teams.

ytownchief22
August 17th, 2016, 09:28 AM
JACK ATTACK!!! Stuck in my head forever now...

POD Knows
August 17th, 2016, 09:42 AM
JACK ATTACK!!! Stuck in my head forever now...

63 times they said that in the song, it is in my head now too. Damn you to hell SDSU

dewey
August 17th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Here is an article about NDSU junior quarterback Cole Davis going through his fourth fall camp and knowing he is one play away from being 'the guy'

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4094854-veteran-davis-only-one-play-away-becoming-bison-starter-first-time

Dewey

Schism55
August 17th, 2016, 10:44 AM
63 times they said that in the song, it is in my head now too. Damn you to hell SDSU
Haha, you counted xlolx

REALBird
August 17th, 2016, 10:44 AM
:pumpuke:Jack Attack.......

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Dont most teen boys go through periods of jack attacks too...?

Thumper 76
August 17th, 2016, 10:55 AM

Who doesn't?

clenz
August 17th, 2016, 12:19 PM
There's not enough posts today to get me enough rep to spread around to give for all your whalers today.

Thumper 76
August 17th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Just trying to get into mid season form

BisonFan02
August 17th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Just trying to get into mid season form

And hopefully stay there unlike the Jack Attack.

Thumper 76
August 17th, 2016, 08:43 PM
And hopefully stay there unlike the Jack Attack.

What about when someone comes to the crib?

Schism55
August 17th, 2016, 09:55 PM
:pumpuke:Jack Attack.......

Too awesome!

BisonTru
August 17th, 2016, 10:55 PM

https://media.makeameme.org/created/jack-attack.jpg

BisonFan02
August 17th, 2016, 10:57 PM

SKEET SKEET SKEET SKEET!!!

Thumper 76
August 17th, 2016, 10:59 PM
SKEET SKEET SKEET SKEET!!!

https://youtu.be/E1p0sA8bgGA

Da Bison
August 18th, 2016, 02:17 PM
This is brought to you by the same State that had a "Don't jerk and drive" campaign.

So.........which is it? :D

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

clenz
August 23rd, 2016, 07:26 AM
Update on the secondary situation at UNI

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/college/football/uni-football-secondary-still-getting-up-to-speed-20160822

CEDAR FALLS — Patience is a hard thing to have as a football coach.

There are only so many practices, so many reps and so many film sessions, and when a football team isn’t progressing like a coach wants it to, patience can run out in a hurry.

Northern Iowa head coach Mark Farley's passion and aggressiveness as a coach is certainly well-known, and in the process of bringing along his retooled defense, his patience has worn thin a few times. The progress of an all-new secondary hasn’t always been where he wants it.

Sept. 3 is coming up fast.

“It’s easy to get worked up about it and think you should be going faster, but when you understand who you’re working with and the possibilities in the future, it’s a great deal,” Farley said. “Right now, it’s slow. You’d like to be up to game speed.

“Right now I spend so much time on defense just to bring it up to speed that that’s all that’s really on my mind.”

As of mid-last week, Farley and position coaches Brandon Lynch and Olaitan Oguntodu were less concerned about starting roles and more about who fits where in the defensive backfield.

The depth chart will sort itself out, he said, when he has players on the field who know where they need to be and when. Experience levels aren’t high across the board, especially in the secondary, so Farley has pushed them as hard as he ever has a position group.

It’s not always easy to draw the ire of Farley, but the players know it’s coming. Senior corner Ray Buchanan Jr. laughed when asked about it, and said as much as Farley gets on them because of mistakes and wanting them to be better, he also gets on them to see what they’re made of. Can the newer, inexperienced players handle the intensity? Can they use it?

So far, from a player perspective, the answers are yes.

“A lot of the younger guys don’t know how he is and how it is in practice, but since camp has been going on, I feel like he does that on purpose to see how we respond to adversity,” Buchanan said. “I feel like the coaches here — Coach Farley, Coach Lynch, Coach (Bryce) Paup — all of them say ‘Don’t be afraid to make mistakes.’ You’ve got to come back and forget about what happened. You have to push through that.”

Still, as hard as they’re working, you can’t simulate game experience.

Senior Jamison Whiting and Buchanan are the only players in the secondary with more than three games played last season for the Panthers, and both saw almost all of their time on special teams. Buchanan totaled nine tackles, one interception and one pass defensed while seeing action in all 14 games. Whiting is the only player to have played a full game — in his freshman year — and finished with seven tackles, one interception and two passes defensed in 12 games played. D.J. Singleton is the only other player with notable time on the field, and he had one tackle in three games played.

Farley touted Whiting as the leader of that secondary group, and Whiting said at Media Day earlier this month that he’s using lessons learned from his former teammates every day. Deiondre Hall (Chicago Bears) and Makinton Dorleant (Green Bay Packers) aren’t bad examples.

“Watching D-Hall and Mak play throughout the years is a blessing and a curse at the same time,” Whiting said. “You want to be on the field, but you learn from the best people at the position. We know what we’re doing now, because of them. Now it’s about reiterating it to the rest of the guys. Now I have to teach the guys what we do at Northern Iowa.”

So who goes where?

Whiting and Buchanan have experience at cornerback, and Farley said Whiting “is a starting cornerback, I don’t think there’s any question about that.” Beyond them, the view is muddy.

Singleton is a Nebraska transfer, but played behind Tim Kilfoy and Edwin Young last season. Time at the position likely means he has a faster track to the field than others might. Sophomore Willie Beamon has upside coaches like, as do freshmen Xavior Williams and Cedar Rapids Washington grad Isaiah Nimmers, but they’re also in redshirt territory — if Farley can afford it.

Florida State transfer Tyrell Lyons has been another standout in terms of ability while coming off a torn ACL last year, and said Lynch has been his biggest help in acclimating him to UNI and this team.

Farley has toyed with putting him in different spots on the field. He’s run with the safeties, the linebackers and the defensive line. His athleticism, speed and field awareness make him a playmaker Farley wants to deploy anywhere and everywhere he can.

“Getting back into the secondary is what I love to do, and also pass rushing just to give the team a different look,” Lyons said. “I just want to be the versatile guy I am, use the talent I was born with. Coaches are moving me around and using me the best way they can to get everything out of me. It’s going to be a process, but everything will work out fine. These coaches have been coaching forever. Coach Farley knows everything to expect.”

The Panthers have to have patience with the secondary, and Farley knows that.

But they all also know Iowa State, Montana and Eastern Washington aren’t months away, either. The now 16th-year head coach has been through all this before, and is ready for the bumps in the road. If history and the work he, Lynch and Oguntodu are doing are any indication, though, the bumps won’t last long.

“Until they get up to speed with what we’re trying to do, you can’t run fast until they understand what we’re doing,” Farley said. “It’s tough on any DB in camp, let alone a rookie. I think there’s still, in all fairness, another week where guys have a chance and we’ll see if they start showing up and being faster on the field. I anticipate who will be there for the most part.”
Based on that snippet about Lyons it is entirely possible UNI runs some kind of monster hybrid defense. Could be out of the base 4-3 with a monster back. Given the inexperience of the secondary I can't see pulling a DB down and leaving only 3. I could see a 4-2-5 monster set

dewey
August 23rd, 2016, 07:30 AM
Update on the secondary situation at UNI

Based on that snippet about Lyons it is entirely possible UNI runs some kind of monster hybrid defense. Could be out of the base 4-3 with a monster back. Given the inexperience of the secondary I can't see pulling a DB down and leaving only 3. I could see a 4-2-5 monster set

Sounds like quite the player that UNI has in Lyons. Like you said a 4-2-5 with Lyons being the "3rd" linebacker/DB could really create a lot of problems especially if he can cover as well as be a run stopper or a pass rusher.

Dewey

clenz
August 23rd, 2016, 07:38 AM
Sounds like quite the player that UNI has in Lyons. Like you said a 4-2-5 with Lyons being the "3rd" linebacker/DB could really create a lot of problems especially if he can cover as well as be a run stopper or a pass rusher.

Dewey
I'm not normally one to be high on transfers, that's no secret, but Lyons could be a real special kid.

Top recruit out of HS, saw significant PT for Florida State in 2014 at Safety. He moved LB spring of 2015, played significant time the firs two weeks last season before tearing his ACL.

It's the same type of role Deiondre Hall played as a sophomore and junior. He lined up at LB, FS, CB, and even as an edge rusher at times. His length and speed made him tough to stop. Sounds like Lyons is the same type of player but significantly stronger/bigger than Hall

https://ct.yimg.com/mr/uploads/1061/1430003.jpg

vs

http://cdn-jpg.si.com/sites/default/files/styles/si_article_main/public/%5Bcurrent-date%3Acustom%3AY%5D/%5Bcurrent-date%3Acustom%3Am%5D/%5Bcurrent-date%3Acustom%3Ad%5D/senior-bowl-day-1-recap-deiondre-hall-.jpg?itok=a-VN4rcP

Who knows how that translates to on field success. Hopefully it does. He sounds like a promising player if he works out. Though it's not a secret I'm wary of trusting transfers too much

IBleedYellow
August 23rd, 2016, 08:16 AM
UNI going to run the nickle?!

clenz
August 23rd, 2016, 08:23 AM
UNI going to run the nickle?!
With Lyons it could be a nickle hybrid. There are two real good LBs returning, and a couple that have experience but not a full season worth. If Lyons is as verstile as it sounds then a 4-2-5 monster is something we see a lot of. Given where Lyons is apparently lining up it could look like a 5-2-4 at times though.

dewey
August 23rd, 2016, 02:04 PM
With Lyons it could be a nickle hybrid. There are two real good LBs returning, and a couple that have experience but not a full season worth. If Lyons is as verstile as it sounds then a 4-2-5 monster is something we see a lot of. Given where Lyons is apparently lining up it could look like a 5-2-4 at times though.

What a great weapon for the defensive coordinator. Line Lyons up at SS then move him to DE or pass rusher or to an OLB spot. Heck you could easy adjust the location of him during the pre-snap reads or rush him from anywhere.

Dewey

clenz
August 23rd, 2016, 02:26 PM
What a great weapon for the defensive coordinator. Line Lyons up at SS then move him to DE or pass rusher or to an OLB spot. Heck you could easy adjust the location of him during the pre-snap reads or rush him from anywhere.

Dewey
A bit of a stretch for a comp but what reading about him reminds me of is Tyler Starr from USD a few years back. He cam in as a safety and by the time he graduated he worked into the best DL in the league but was more than capable of dropping into coverage still.

Lyons seems like a bit of the same mold. No "true" position just able to make plays all over.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 23rd, 2016, 07:42 PM

Farley at LB has AA potential. The kid is good.

Houndawg
August 23rd, 2016, 09:37 PM
I'm thinking this will be the first year in a long time there will be multiple teams who struggle to get wins in Conference. SIU, IndSt, MSU may only end up beating each other. The good news about having more bottom teams it will give more wins to the top resulting in better seeds and more playoff teams.

Unless the wheels fall off injury wise I predict that SIU will exceed expectations, and be real fun to watch

Twentysix
August 23rd, 2016, 10:12 PM
Unless the wheels fall off injury wise I predict that SIU will exceed expectations, and be real fun to watch

Expectations are? Second to last in conference?

Thumper 76
August 24th, 2016, 12:15 AM

Not losing to Misery St. Remember, SIU has tons of super stud FBS transfers underdog has been posting about all offseason. They're like JSU on steroids xdrunkyx

Twentysix
August 24th, 2016, 05:02 AM
Not losing to Misery St. Remember, SIU has tons of super stud FBS transfers underdog has been posting about all offseason. They're like JSU on steroids xdrunkyx

No I'm being serious. Missouri State is obviously pegged as last place in the conference....

Aren't Isub, SIU, and USD expected to fight for 2nd to last place? With the high likelyhood that USD is considerably better than the other 3 cellar teams.

huskie
August 24th, 2016, 05:12 AM
Predicted Conference Finish nothing outrages.

NDSU
UNI
SDSU
WIU
Ill St.
Youngstown
Indiana State
SIU
USD
Mo. St.

Houndawg
August 24th, 2016, 05:39 AM

yeah. If the oline stays healthy.

Twentysix
August 24th, 2016, 05:40 AM
Predicted Conference Finish nothing outrages.

NDSU
UNI
SDSU
WIU
Ill St.
Youngstown
Indiana State
SIU
USD
Mo. St.

I'd probably put WIU in the bottom 4 and move USD up. We will see. I mean lets be real, WIU only won 6 games last year before the playoffs, was gifted entry, and lost their coach.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2016, 06:05 AM

If the new coach hasn't improved the defense, it will be a long season for SIU.

UNIFanSince1983
August 24th, 2016, 08:12 AM
I'd probably put WIU in the bottom 4 and move USD up. We will see. I mean lets be real, WIU only won 6 games last year before the playoffs, was gifted entry, and lost their coach.

On the flip side USD finished 5-6 and lost their coach. Plus they lost arguably their best player. So both lost a coach and unless Glenn was that much worse than Nielson I really don't see a way that USD is better than WIU this year because there was more talent at WIU than at USD.

clenz
August 24th, 2016, 08:34 AM
WIU is odd to me. I published my WIU preseason article yesterday (http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preseason-preview-western-illinois/). WIU returns what looks to be the best offense in terms of total weapons, returning production, etc... WIU's offense was near the top of the conference (top half at least) in every category.

WIU's defense though? Last season WIU ranked in the bottom half of the conference in total defense (7th-399 yards per game), rush defense (7th- 196 yards per game), scoring defense (7th-29.7 points per game), sacks (9th-17), 1st down against (9th-22 per game), opponent 3rd down conversion (9th-42.1%), and opponent 4th down conversion (7th-57.9%). Coach Fisher is an offensive minded guy so I’m curious how he builds the defense. His defensive coordinator was brought in from Southern Illinois, who was a disaster on defense last season.

WIU gets NDSU, UNI and Illinois State at home. Their OOC is EIU (winnable), NAU (winnable), and NIU (loss).
ISUb, NDSU, ISUr, UNI at home
SDSU, MSU, USD, SIU on the road

2 OOC wins - 2 wins
Let's assume they split their home games - 4 wins
MSU is a win for sho - 5 wins
USD is likely a win - 6 wins
They only have to split SDSU/SIU to get to 7.

That will get them to 7-4 (5-3) with at least one win over either UNI, NDSU or ISUr. 5-3 probably puts them 4th in the MVFC. That's tough to keep out of a 24 team field

Flip side is it's easy to see them going 1-2 OOC, 1-3 in home conference games and 1-3 on the road in conference leaving them at 3-8

I can easily make a case for 3 wins just as I can for 8

ST_Lawson
August 24th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I can easily make a case for 3 wins just as I can for 8

Yup...at this point, I'd say nearly every game is winnable. For our entire schedule, I can see two games that are highly likely to be losses (NIU and NDSU) and two games that are highly likely to be wins (ISUb and MSU)...beyond that, it's all down to how well we play and which way the "luck breaks". So, realistically, I expect something like 6-5 or 7-4, but I could easily see anything from 9-2 to 2-9 being a possibility.

You didn't mention it here, but in your article you talk about replacing RB Nikko Watson for short yardage situations. Just FYI, it looks like we'll be utilizing our TE's a lot more in short pass plays than we have in the past (last year, our TE production total was 2 catches for 13 yards) in addition to a rotating group of decent RBs (nobody that will blow you away probably, but "serviceable" considering we'll likely be mostly a passing offense).

clenz
August 24th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Yup...at this point, I'd say nearly every game is winnable. For our entire schedule, I can see two games that are highly likely to be losses (NIU and NDSU) and two games that are highly likely to be wins (ISUb and MSU)...beyond that, it's all down to how well we play and which way the "luck breaks". So, realistically, I expect something like 6-5 or 7-4, but I could easily see anything from 9-2 to 2-9 being a possibility.

You didn't mention it here, but in your article you talk about replacing RB Nikko Watson for short yardage situations. Just FYI, it looks like we'll be utilizing our TE's a lot more in short pass plays than we have in the past (last year, our TE production total was 2 catches for 13 yards) in addition to a rotating group of decent RBs (nobody that will blow you away probably, but "serviceable" considering we'll likely be mostly a passing offense).
Yeah, I'm not at WIU's camp (or any camp for that matter) so I'm not sure what Fisher wasn't to do. I mean, I can look at what he did at Richmond, but that was a different type of roster in a different style of play conference. Due to that I can't say for sure how his production gets replaced. That's great insight from you. As I said in my write up, and even on here last year, Nikko wasn't "impressive" in the way Coprich, Tyvis Smith, King Fraizer, David Johnson, Zach Zenner, etc... were/are. He wasn't flashy. He didn't break a ton of big runs (season long was 39 in the first game of the season and that was his only carry over 29 yards. In fact, I only found 4 or 5 carries over 15 yards on the season. Didn't truly break a ton of tackles (just drug guys with him). He was a very underrated back in this league last season. He was a monster than just wanted to roll over people and was nearly impossible to stop for less than 3 yards even in a goal line set.

I love the QBs at WIU.
I love the WRs at WIU.
I'm "meh" on the RB situation right now.
I'm not a fan of the front 7 on defense
I like the secondary.
I despise the special teams.

The first three listed at a potentially 8 to 9 win team in all honestly.
The problem is I can easily take one win away for each of the last 3 listed. Even if I leave the secondary as neutral I'd pull another one from either the front 7 or the special teams for putting the defense in a bad spot

POD Knows
August 24th, 2016, 09:35 AM

Some of us think tackling and defense are fun to watch, will SIU be doing any of that this year??

ST_Lawson
August 24th, 2016, 09:41 AM
I love the QBs at WIU.
I love the WRs at WIU.
I like the secondary.

Yup, front-line D and special teams are the big question marks this year. I know that last year, part of our special teams issues were caused by a lack of blocking for the kicker, as opposed to problems with the kicker himself (we averaged allowing one blocked kick every game last year, and even the ones that weren't blocked, many had quite a bit of pressure on them). My guess, and it is just a guess, is that since we didn't have a coach actually assigned to the special teams area (none that were listed on the coaching roster anyway), it didn't get a lot of attention, and the blockers may have not had a lot of coaching on how to block for a kicker. Don't know if it'll make a difference this year, but we do have two coaches who are co-special teams coordinators in addition to having some other duties.

I sure hope it gets better, because that aspect sure couldn't have gotten much worse.

Thumper 76
August 24th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Some of us think tackling and defense are fun to watch, will SIU be doing any of that this year??

I heard the first day of fall camp was addressing the general idea of what a defense does, what a tackle is, which line is the goal line you don't want the other team to cross, stuff like that :D

Sycamore62
August 24th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I'm not at WIU's camp (or any camp for that matter) so I'm not sure what Fisher wasn't to do. I mean, I can look at what he did at Richmond, but that was a different type of roster in a different style of play conference. Due to that I can't say for sure how his production gets replaced. That's great insight from you. As I said in my write up, and even on here last year, Nikko wasn't "impressive" in the way Coprich, Tyvis Smith, King Fraizer, David Johnson, Zach Zenner, etc... were/are. He wasn't flashy. He didn't break a ton of big runs (season long was 39 in the first game of the season and that was his only carry over 29 yards. In fact, I only found 4 or 5 carries over 15 yards on the season. Didn't truly break a ton of tackles (just drug guys with him). He was a very underrated back in this league last season. He was a monster than just wanted to roll over people and was nearly impossible to stop for less than 3 yards even in a goal line set.

I love the QBs at WIU.
I love the WRs at WIU.
I like the secondary.

The first three listed at a potentially 8 to 9 win team in all honestly.
The problem is I can easily take one win away for each of the last 3 listed. Even if I leave the secondary as neutral I'd pull another one from either the front 7 or the special teams for putting the defense in a bad spot

I had Nikko as the reason WIU beat ISUb in the 4th qtr and OT last year

Yotes21
August 24th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Watson was huge. Looked like a lineman playing RB.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 24th, 2016, 06:28 PM

xlolx

xthumbsupx

xlolx

Houndawg
August 24th, 2016, 08:34 PM

xlolx

Your smack is getting better, Pud Nose. Not ready for cs yet, but with hard work you will continue to improve.xthumbsupx

POD Knows
August 24th, 2016, 08:40 PM
xlolx

Your smack is getting better, Pud Nose. Not ready for cs yet, but with hard work you will continue to improve.xthumbsupx

I rule and Salukis drool.

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 24th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Article from Bloomberg about NDSU....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-24/this-college-football-team-doesn-t-want-to-join-the-big-leagues

geaux_sioux
August 24th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Article from Bloomberg about NDSU....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-24/this-college-football-team-doesn-t-want-to-join-the-big-leagues
That's a very good article. Great point on both sides. I'm not sure NDSU could afford it. I also don't think the return would be worth it unless it was a move into the Big 12 or Big 10 which is likely not happening.

Houndawg
August 25th, 2016, 01:52 AM
I rule and Salukis drool.

oh ouchxcoffeex....the ownage is supreme

Houndawg
August 25th, 2016, 01:57 AM
I heard the first day of fall camp was addressing the general idea of what a defense does, what a tackle is, which line is the goal line you don't want the other team to cross, stuff like that :D

xlolx Yo! Pud Nose! See this? This is how you do smack, son.

Get your game up to this level and they might let you back in over at cs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Good article.

Big time money would be needed to move up.

POD Knows
August 25th, 2016, 08:25 AM
xlolx Yo! Pud Nose! See this? This is how you do smack, son.

Get your game up to this level and they might let you back in over at cs.

Hey doggie style (this was the best I could do at short notice) yep, his post was pretty awesome and probably, factually correct.

But I will keep trying to up my game, I just don't know what I will do if I can't make the cut at CS, the Harvard of message boards.

underdawg
August 25th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Hey doggie style (this was the best I could do at short notice) yep, his post was pretty awesome and probably, factually correct.

But I will keep trying to up my game, I just don't know what I will do if I can't make the cut at CS, the Harvard of message boards.

Take it to the bank---WE'RE NOT LOSING TO THE BISON THIS YEAR! Whoops, I hate this schedule where you don't play a team for three years--cuts down on trash talking opportunities

POD Knows
August 25th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Take it to the bank---WE'RE NOT LOSING TO THE BISON THIS YEAR! Whoops, I hate this schedule where you don't play a team for three years--cuts down on trash talking opportunities

Hey, you guys played us tough last year, I thought SIU was the best offensive team we had played last year but when you give up 400 yards on the ground, it generally doesn't end well.

Thumper 76
August 25th, 2016, 10:08 AM
SDSU has chosen TC to be the starter and says they won't be platooning at QB. That makes me feel better. I expect we see some Lujan this year, with TC's running he's bound to get dinged up at some point.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2016/08/25/christion-start-sdsu/89258856/

Houndawg
August 25th, 2016, 10:32 AM

They say it helps if you cry. Don't get down on yourself; many are called, few are chosen.xthumbsupx

Houndawg
August 25th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Hey, you guys played us tough last year, I thought SIU was the best offensive team we had played last year but when you give up 400 yards on the ground, it generally doesn't end well.

We'll do better next time, if only because we can't do worse. We're already more explosive on offense than last year by a significant amount, if we get any d at all some of those three-point games will start going our way.

UNIFanSince1983
August 25th, 2016, 11:08 AM
We'll do better next time, if only because we can't do worse. We're already more explosive on offense than last year by a significant amount, if we get any d at all some of those three-point games will start going our way.

I am a little confused and skeptical that you can be more explosive after losing by far your best offensive player.

IBleedYellow
August 25th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Alright, which one of you jerks is named Charles Burton? :D

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/secretly-we-all-hate-north-dakota-state/

centennial
August 25th, 2016, 11:38 AM

What the hell?

IBleedYellow
August 25th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I think it's a hilarious and well written article.

Bisonator
August 25th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Really? How so??xeyebrowx

Thumper 76
August 25th, 2016, 11:51 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

He's not wrong you know. I mean he overstates some things, like I don't understand the statement at the end about being a national school and beating CSU. But NDSU fans are the Alabama fans of FCS and MVFC fans are the SEC fans.

Thumper 76
August 25th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Really? How so??xeyebrowx

Pshhhhh, someone didn't pay attention this offseason. They've got like a bajillion transfers who would prolly start for Bama or Michigan if they really wanted to.

centennial
August 25th, 2016, 11:53 AM

He's not wrong you know. I mean he overstates some things, like I don't understand the statement at the end about being a national school and beating CSU. But NDSU fans are the Alabama fans of FCS and MVFC fans are the SEC fans.

We need to start chanting MVFC in the stands.

Bisonator
August 25th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Pshhhhh, someone didn't pay attention this offseason. They've got like a bajillion transfers who would prolly start for Bama or Michigan if they really wanted to.

Well there's that...xlolx

Seriously though not sure how they can be more explosive when they lose Iannotti who was their only offense in the NDSU game.

IBleedYellow
August 25th, 2016, 12:18 PM

Of course he's not wrong.

The article is a little exaggerated but it's pretty close, and really hilarious.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bison56
August 25th, 2016, 02:43 PM

That.....was.....awesome......xlolx

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 25th, 2016, 03:22 PM
That Charles Burton guy is the same one that wrote "The real problem with the FCS playoffs"

Houndawg
August 25th, 2016, 06:19 PM
I am a little confused and skeptical that you can be more explosive after losing by far your best offensive player.

We have two better than him duking it out for playing time, the entire wr corps is back, and you remember Daquan Isom.

clenz
August 25th, 2016, 06:20 PM
By better he means a D2 kid and a kid with 2 scholarship offers out of high school

Neither have taken a D1 snap

Houndawg
August 25th, 2016, 06:23 PM
By better he means a D2 kid and a kid with 2 scholarship offers out of high school

true but we're always optimistic at this point. I should have said two kids who are better athletes and have stronger arms. The D2 kid throws lasers.

ST_Lawson
August 25th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Here's another conference preview. This one courtesy of Brian McLaughlin at Hero Sports.
http://herosports.com/news/ncaa-fcs-mens-football/missouri-valley-football-conference-football-2016-preview

Gotta say, I like what he's saying about my Leathernecks.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2016, 07:40 PM

Pretty good article. Got a big smile out of it!

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 25th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Kent Schmidt wrote a rebuttal to the Charles Burton article.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/why-we-should-love-ndsu-and-the-bison/

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 25th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Kent Schmidt wrote a rebuttal to the Charles Burton article.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/why-we-should-love-ndsu-and-the-bison/

Very good article!!

underdawg
August 25th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Straughan will start next week for SIU against FAU--hope MVFC DL have fun trying to chase him around. His best feature is his ability to scramble but still throw accurately down field.

Thumper 76
August 25th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Straughan will start next week for SIU against FAU--hope MVFC DL have fun trying to chase him around. His best feature is his ability to scramble but still throw accurately down field.

We have two better than him duking it out for playing time, the entire wr corps is back, and you remember Daquan Isom.

First, to say that a guy who won the job is better than who you had is ridiculous, no matter optimistic you are for the season. The dude had almost identical passing numbers as Iannotti, but it took him three years to get the stats he did, against DII competition, while Iannotti got his in two years against the best defenses in FCS. I get being excited but holy smokes man.

Second, I doubt that he's going to keep D coordinators up more than Easton Stick, Aaron Bailey, or Taryn Christion. The Valley better get good at dealing with mobile QB's.

ST_Lawson
August 25th, 2016, 10:10 PM

Can't say I'm really shaking in my boots at this point...sorry. Our defense looks to be a little better than last year, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to put up more points than you. I don't think I've been this excited about a Leatherneck offense in the last 20 years.

JayJ79
August 26th, 2016, 02:53 AM

three years?

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 26th, 2016, 06:12 AM
KVLY responds to NDSU media restrictions and throws Forum Comm under the bus. Great reads. Flag 1100 AM has info also about this. Funny thing is UND has a stricter media policy than NDSU was asking for, and this was never brought about by Forum Comm or SBHE.

"NDSU also issued guidelines on interviews. Requests for interviews must be made 24 hours in advance and no more one-on-one interviews with head coaches during the season.
NDSU isn't much different than other schools in the region. Take the University of North Dakota for example. They only allow 2.5 minutes of video to be used in a newscast for only seven days following the event. Video can be shown on media websites.
At the University of Nebraska, which is in the Big 10 Conference, they allow just two minutes of game video to be shown in newscasts in the following seven days. Video cannot be placed online.
NDSU and UND fall under the NCAA, which places additional restrictions on media entities. They stipulate a media group may blog during the game but cannot produce any form of a "real time description of the event" and limits their live abilities."

http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/GM-EDITORIAL-Takeaways-from-competition-for-the-NDSU-contract-391338082.html

http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Forum-Communications-and-state-board-texts-and-emails-show-disagreement-over-NDSU-media-restrictions-391224111.html

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/FOIA+-+NDUS+Emails+and+Texts.pdf

http://www.valleynewslive-ondemand.com/pdf/Radio%20proposals.pdf

http://www.valleynewslive-ondemand.com/pdf/Football%20television%20proposals_Redacted.pdf

Drblankstare
August 26th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Great more of this NDSU media cluster****. Cant we just talk about breakfast pizza

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 26th, 2016, 06:30 AM
This one is really interesting........

Thumper 76
August 26th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Great more of this NDSU media cluster****. Cant we just talk about breakfast pizza

Right? I had really hoped that this had run its course. It's almost the start of the season. The damage is well over and done with.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/18901f25139347103d36e32deafdf22e/tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 26th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Right? I had really hoped that this had run its course. It's almost the start of the season. The damage is well over and done with.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/18901f25139347103d36e32deafdf22e/tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

The Forum comm needs to be called out on the *rap they pulled.

Lehigh'98
August 26th, 2016, 06:40 AM

Embrace the hate! You've earned it. Even if it's just LFN

Thumper 76
August 26th, 2016, 06:45 AM
The Forum comm needs to be called out on the *rap they pulled.

#ProtectTheBrand

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2016, 07:22 AM
#ProtectTheBrand
**** Forum Communications. A bunch of cheap whining hypocrites.

Thumper 76
August 26th, 2016, 07:24 AM
**** Forum Communications. A bunch of cheap whining hypocrites.

It's too bad that NDSU isn't an UnderArmor school, they could have used their old slogan, with a twist. We must protect this brand!

#ProtectTheBrand

clenz
August 26th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Great. Keep your media bullahit to your board. At this point no one here cares.

Bad enough I see it all over Twitter. I don't need it here

WTFCollegefootballfan
August 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM
So it was ok when you condemning NDSU over this. But now when the facts come out, it it not ok. UND has a stricter media policy than what NDSU was asking for. NDSU was doing nothing wrong and should have never backpedaled on the media policy.

F'N Hawks
August 26th, 2016, 08:23 AM
#butund

UND has a stricter policy about one tiny point of the contract that nobody cares about. The entire uproar was over telling Dom and Calliou to get bent.

Thumper 76
August 26th, 2016, 09:59 AM
So it was ok when you condemning NDSU over this. But now when the facts come out, it it not ok. UND has a stricter media policy than what NDSU was asking for. NDSU was doing nothing wrong and should have never backpedaled on the media policy.

Yes. It was. NDSU handled it like dog****, and now has a black eye for it. And it's going to take time to go away. The less it's brought up the sooner its forgotten. Or you can keep bringing it up and keep it in people's minds without changing their minds. You won't change my mind because IDGAF anymore, and I certainly don't feel bad about poor tender NDSU fans feelings being hurt by the big bad forum. And neither does anybody else besides other bison fans. It's now football season, not bitch about your local rag that 90% of us don't follow unless we're playing the bison.

clenz
August 26th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Yes. It was. NDSU handled it like dog****, and now has a black eye for it. And it's going to take time to go away. The less it's brought up the sooner its forgotten. Or you can keep bringing it up and keep it in people's minds without changing their minds. You won't change my mind because IDGAF anymore, and I certainly don't feel bad about poor tender NDSU fans feelings being hurt by the big bad forum. And neither does anybody else besides other bison fans. It's now football season, not bitch about your local rag that 90% of us don't follow unless we're playing the bison.
This.

The media restrictions were too over the top - though clearly aimed at the Forum.
The way it was rolled out was horrid
The radio silence after was horrid
The lies after were attrocious
"Protect the brand" should be reserved for athletic departments that clear 50-60m in revenue

It's now become a fight between the wife, mistress, the kids, and the husband and we are just the neighbors on this board getting drug the **** into it.

Professor Chaos
August 26th, 2016, 10:41 AM
This.

The media restrictions were too over the top - though clearly aimed at the Forum.
The way it was rolled out was horrid
The radio silence after was horrid
The lies after were attrocious
"Protect the brand" should be reserved for athletic departments that clear 50-60m in revenue

It's now become a fight between the wife, mistress, the kids, and the husband and we are just the neighbors on this board getting drug the **** into it.
Well, if that's your take about what happened it just shows how misinformed the neighbors are.

But in the end I agree that this should be left on Bisonville so I'll leave it at that.

clenz
August 26th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Well, if that's your take about what happened it just shows how misinformed the neighbors are.

But in the end I agree that this should be left on Bisonville so I'll leave it at that.
Here's the thing...those are lines I took straight off of twitter, more or less, from NDSU fans

It sounds like the neighbors are misinformed because NDSU doesn't have their **** straight.

Mayville Bison
August 26th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Here's the thing...those are lines I took straight off of twitter, more or less, from NDSU fans

It sounds like the neighbors are misinformed because NDSU doesn't have their **** straight.

The entire state's motto might as well be "That's how we've always done it". Don't ever try to change the status quo around here because you will immediately be met with resistance.

JayJ79
August 26th, 2016, 02:11 PM

only 2 minutes of breakfest pizza video can be shown in a newscast, but live-blogging the breakfast pizza experience is allowed.

clenz
August 26th, 2016, 03:56 PM
All of my previews are completed

Illinois State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/illinois-state/
Indiana State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/indiana-state/
Missouri State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/missouri-state/
North Dakota State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/north-dakota-state/
Northern Iowa: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preview-northern-iowa/
South Dakota: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preview-south-dakota/
Southern Illinois: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/mvfc/2016-mvfc-preview-southern-illinois/
South Dakota State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preview-south-dakota-state/
Western Illinois: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preseason-preview-western-illinois/
Youngstown State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preseason-preview-youngstown-state/

Schism55
August 26th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Well done clenz. Thanks for the effort and knowledge.

TheKingpin28
August 26th, 2016, 05:48 PM
So I am for sure getting Breakfast Pizza tomorrow at the Casey's up the road from my house across the street from the dome. In about 24 hours, we will see FCS football again.

Thumper 76
August 26th, 2016, 06:04 PM
So I am for sure getting Breakfast Pizza tomorrow at the Casey's up the road from my house across the street from the dome. In about 24 hours, we will see FCS football again.

Jeeze, you're gunna have to drive all the way down to Osgood to drop off my beer :D

TheKingpin28
August 26th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Jeeze, you're gunna have to drive all the way down to Osgood to drop off my beer :D

You mean the beer that you will be buying after the Bison win? Yeah I will let you have a couple.

thebootfitter
August 26th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Very good article!!
Decent article, but could benefit greatly from a little editing. #1 to correct many of his errors that are distracting to the reader. #2 to condense his thoughts a bit.

IBleedYellow
August 26th, 2016, 07:25 PM
We still have to have a beer and get your avatar changed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2016, 07:58 PM
All of my previews are completed

Illinois State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/illinois-state/
Indiana State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/indiana-state/
Missouri State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/missouri-state/
North Dakota State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/north-dakota-state/
Northern Iowa: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preview-northern-iowa/
South Dakota: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preview-south-dakota/
Southern Illinois: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/mvfc/2016-mvfc-preview-southern-illinois/
South Dakota State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preview-south-dakota-state/
Western Illinois: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preseason-preview-western-illinois/
Youngstown State: http://thefcswedge.com/conference-previews/2016-mvfc-preseason-preview-youngstown-state/

nice work clenz: xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
August 26th, 2016, 08:01 PM
We still have to have a beer and get your avatar changed.

Next week sometime?

IBleedYellow
Next week sometime?
Pm me. I'm in.

Thumper 76
You mean the beer that you will be buying after the Bison win? Yeah I will let you have a couple.

Remember we didn't bet straight up, I get 17.5 :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2016, 08:05 PM

17.5?

Nut up buddy!!

:D

underdawg
August 26th, 2016, 08:12 PM
Clenz--Ryan Neal is just a junior--he moved from starting CB to starting Safety--so I'd guess most people would say he's "coming back"--you might want to e-mail fans from the teams you are previewing before you make mistakes like that--Dawgfan and I would be glad to help you next year.

I think we'll win more than 4 games but I guess we'll see

TheKingpin28
August 26th, 2016, 08:44 PM

The fact that you are bringing up the line just adds confidence that the Michgolden Light purchased by a JACK ATTACK fan, will be in my fridge sooner rather than later. xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
August 26th, 2016, 09:02 PM
The fact that you are bringing up the line just adds confidence that the Michgolden Light purchased by a JACK ATTACK fan, will be in my fridge sooner rather than later. xthumbsupx

Oh I've said many a time that I expect NDSU to win. I'm just hoping it's not by too much

dewey
September 9th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Here is an interesting Bison Media Blog video about the MVFC's significant edge over the Big Sky from 2013 until now. Some great geek stats in there.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/video-blog-grudge-match-weekend-for-valley-and-big-sky/

The MVFC would be perfect in the playoffs against the Big Sky if it weren't for the Jackrabbits. Freaking SDSUxlolx

Dewey

BisonTru
September 18th, 2016, 07:39 PM
The Big10 has opted to retire scheduling games against FCS/MVFC teams to be perceived as a tougher conference.

MVFC is 2-1 vs. the Big10 this year.

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Well, I think after the OOC losses this week the MVFC is going to have a hard time getting 5 playoff teams again after the intra-conference cannibalization happens.

ysubigred
September 19th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Well, I think after the OOC losses this week the MVFC is going to have a hard time getting 5 playoff teams again after the intra-conference cannibalization happens.

This^^ "IF" YSU ends up 7-4 I doubt they get in with the piss poor OOC showing/scheduling.

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2016, 08:50 AM
This^^ "IF" YSU ends up 7-4 I doubt they get in with the piss poor OOC showing/scheduling.
Yeah, they didn't do themselves any favors OOC despite going 3-0. 7-4 overall would mean 4-4 overall in conference and likely 5th in the conference standings at best. They'd most likely be just on the outside looking in once again.

veinup
September 19th, 2016, 09:36 AM
The Big10 has opted to retire scheduling games against FCS/MVFC teams to be perceived as a tougher conference.

like, officially? as a policy? xlolx

JSUSoutherner
September 19th, 2016, 09:38 AM
like, officially? as a policy? xlolx
Yeah, but the rule has been in the works since before the season even started.

veinup
September 19th, 2016, 09:39 AM
ah i see. i was hoping there was press conference or something with a dude in a suit admitting that his conference just couldn't handle the bizon anymore so stop calling.

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2016, 09:40 AM
After the NDSU game on Saturday Iowa AD Gary Barta reiterated the "policy" but did leave the door open for "exceptions":

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/big-ten-should-reevaluate-ban-on-fcs-programs

“I’m behind the Big Ten’s decision. I was a part of the discussion,” Iowa athletic director Gary Barta said. “One of the reasons why we’re doing this is to try and strengthen our schedule. But just ask ESPN, why have they decided to have GameDay at NDSU two different times? It’s because they’re an exception. So I certainly would be comfortable talking about at some point having exception. But the policy is not going to change.”

Sycamore62
September 19th, 2016, 09:43 AM
sorry for not making it 3-0

ysubigred
September 19th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Yeah, they didn't do themselves any favors OOC despite going 3-0. 7-4 overall would mean 4-4 overall in conference and likely 5th in the conference standings at best. They'd most likely be just on the outside looking in once again.

YSU went 2-1 OOC 2 wins against the blind center and Jerry's Kids. Lost to WVU a team, I believe NDSU would have take to the wood shed! So 4-4 in conference and YSU will be out without a doubt! I don't get why YSU has adopted the running 1st QB for the MVFC??! YSU has a mammoth "O" line built for power football and surrounded it with kids with the leg strength of 3rd grade girls to run the football. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I'm expecting the same from the past years. I HOPE I'M WRONG :(

ysubigred
September 19th, 2016, 10:27 AM
sorry for not making it 3-0

I'm impressed! ISU (b) don't need to be taken lightly xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
September 19th, 2016, 10:31 AM
YSU went 2-1 OOC 2 wins against the blind center and Jerry's Kids. Lost to WVU a team, I believe NDSU would have take to the wood shed! So 4-4 in conference and YSU will be out without a doubt! I don't get why YSU has adopted the running 1st QB for the MVFC??! YSU has a mammoth "O" line built for power football and surrounded it with kids with the leg strength of 3rd grade girls to run the football. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I'm expecting the same from the past years. I HOPE I'M WRONG :(
Doh! Yeah, was thinking YSU was 3-0 vs 3 cupcakes. Forgot about the FBS game. Yeah, a 4-4 conference schedule would definitely have them out. 5-3 (7-4 overall) may be a different story though, really depends on what happens elsewhere around the nation. OOC games still do them no favors though.

IBleedYellow
September 19th, 2016, 12:12 PM
NDSU MLB Nick Deluca will be having season ending shoulder surgery and apply for medical redshirt to be able to come back for 2017 season.

:(

Twentysix
September 19th, 2016, 12:27 PM
NDSU MLB Nick Deluca will be having season ending shoulder surgery and apply for medical redshirt to be able to come back for 2017 season.

For once the rumors were true.

Bisonator
September 19th, 2016, 12:48 PM
For once the rumors were true.
Yep. Sucks but I hope it all works out for Nick. Guys a stud!

ST_Lawson
September 19th, 2016, 01:29 PM

Wow, that sucks. Was this the injury he had in the Charleston Southern game? Did he play in either of the games since then?
He was a legit NFL prospect, right? Hopefully he can get another year (not that I really want to go against him, but I'd rather be tested with the opponent at their best than take down a good team that's been hit with injuries) and make a play for the draft.

BisonTru
September 19th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Wow, that sucks. Was this the injury he had in the Charleston Southern game? Did he play in either of the games since then?
He was a legit NFL prospect, right? Hopefully he can get another year (not that I really want to go against him, but I'd rather be tested with the opponent at their best than take down a good team that's been hit with injuries) and make a play for the draft.

Yes, yes, and yes. I think this surgery was probably inevitable eventually anyway. He should be able to get a medical after only three games and return next season. IMO, this is a smart move by Nick. Trying to fight this injury and enter the draft process would not be wise. This will give him 9+ months to have the surgery and rehab before trying to put together an impressive senior campaign which will greatly determine where he ends up in the draft.

Sycamore62
September 19th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Yes, yes, and yes. I think this surgery was probably inevitable eventually anyway. He should be able to get a medical after only three games and return next season. IMO, this is a smart move by Nick. Trying to fight this injury and enter the draft process would not be wise. This will give him 9+ months to have the surgery and rehab before trying to put together an impressive senior campaign which will greatly determine where he ends up in the draft.

Had he redshirted (regular) yet. I thought they wouldnt give a medical if you had played in any games already

Twentysix
September 19th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Had he redshirted (regular) yet. I thought they wouldnt give a medical if you had played in any games already

Medical red shirts are available until you exceed playing in 30% of your teams games. So 3/11 is less than 30%.

nelsondm
September 19th, 2016, 02:25 PM
He is a 4th year Senior. Never redshirted

Thumper 76
September 19th, 2016, 02:27 PM

Medical redshirt is different than being granted a sixth year of eligibility. He never took a redshirt season, so he's able to use his redshirt season as a medical redshirt.

Twentysix
September 19th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Where is the week 4pickem?

Slacker.

ST_Lawson
September 19th, 2016, 03:32 PM

Slacker.

Maybe he forgot that there are games for some MVFC teams this week. Hope Thump doesn't mind if I give him a hand on this...

#12 Illinois State (2-1) at Indiana State (2-1) - 2 PM, ESPN3
#8 Western Illinois (2-0) at Northern Illinois (FBS, MAC, 0-3) - 2:30 PM ESPN3
Missouri State (2-0) at Kansas State (FBS, B12, 1-1) - 6:10 PM

dewey
September 19th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about Nick DeLuca missing the rest of the season.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4118341-ndsus-deluca-have-season-ending-shoulder-surgery

Head coach Chris Klieman said his middle linebacker will have surgery this week to repair a torn labrum that will require a four-to-six month rehabilitation period. He said the decision was made after the Bison defeated Iowa 23-21 in a game that was still on the national media radar on Monday.

HC Chris Klieman feels very confident that Nick will be able to get a medical redshirt according to the quote below.

To be eligible for the medical waiver, DeLuca cannot compete in more than 30 percent of the season or three games, whichever is greater. Klieman said he's confident documentation to the NCAA will show DeLuca deserves another season.

Here is a video from the Bison Media Blog about Nick DeLuca's season ending shoulder surgery.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/bison-media-zone-nick-deluca-out-for-season/

Dewey

dewey
September 19th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Maybe he forgot that there are games for some MVFC teams this week. Hope Thump doesn't mind if I give him a hand on this...

Our fellow rabbit fans are a little pissy right now after losing at home.:D

Here is the thread for the MVFC week 4 pick'em.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?185591-MVFC-Week-4-Predictions

Dewey

Thumper 76
September 19th, 2016, 05:30 PM

Slacker.

Our fellow rabbit fans are a little pissy right now after losing at home.:D

Here is the thread for the MVFC week 4 pick'em.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?185591-MVFC-Week-4-Predictions

Dewey

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln5bjksyDD1qix6d4o1_500.gif

Deweys right though. Pissy is an understatement. Me right now:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160919/2a65a3da291cdc34500930eace278f25.jpg

ST_Lawson
September 19th, 2016, 07:08 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln5bjksyDD1qix6d4o1_500.gif

You have every right to be. No arguments here.

underdawg
September 22nd, 2016, 06:45 PM
SIU's QB Josh Straughan wins second MVFC Newcomer of the Week award last weekend

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 23rd, 2016, 06:21 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.comi/tumblr_ln5bjksyDD1qix6d4o1_500.gif

Is the Jack's defense way over rated or just under performing right now?

Thumper 76
September 23rd, 2016, 06:46 AM
Is the Jack's defense way over rated or just under performing right now?

Both I think. I think it's more underperforming than overrated. Especially the D line, specifically the DTs last game. I do think they were overrated as well though. Last season they gave up quite a few yards, but never broke, and it looks like that's changed. We'll see next week how bad things are in Brookings when WIU comes around.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 23rd, 2016, 12:35 PM
Both I think. I think it's more underperforming than overrated. Especially the D line, specifically the DTs last game. I do think they were overrated as well though. Last season they gave up quite a few yards, but never broke, and it looks like that's changed. We'll see next week how bad things are in Brookings when WIU comes around.

If WIU wins that game my power rankings would really get a change up.

Thumper 76
September 23rd, 2016, 01:15 PM
If WIU wins that game my power rankings would really get a change up.

Honestly it wouldn't for me, WIU jumped SDSU after they manhandled NAU and EIU is turning out to look pretty darn good. I would go:

1) NDSU- Well duh
2) WIU- They have the wins right now
3) UNI- Look good but still are 1-2
4) YSU- Look solid but haven't played anyone
5) SDSU- Have to prove their defense deserves the hype.
6) Ill St- Northwestern game doesn't look that amazing to me
7) Indy State- Has looked decent, toss up w USD for me but have wins
8) USD- Looks good but murder themselves, too inconsistant
9) SIU- Coin flip with the three above, but I'm not sold yet.
10) MSU- Look a helluva lot better than last year at least

More on SDSUs defense, you could argue that they have been a victim of who they played and poor match ups for them in her real contributing largely to why they look so bad if I want to go homer sunshine glasses on this. Won't see as athletic of a spread offense like TCU that victimized the young corners to a level most MVFC teams won't be able to, Drake they let way up in the second and third quarters, and Cal Poly. Let me give my thoughts there. One is, as everybody knows, a really good triple O can make any defense look bad. And I do believe they are really good. Second, the game plan against it was atrocious. No blitzes, which I understand can kill you against the triple, but good lord 59 plays and no tfls or sacks, do something different. Sat in the same defense the entire night and said, "we need to execute better". Well at some point it's broke try to fix it. Also the defense, especially the line looked scared to mess up instead of flying around and just making plays. There was a lot of looking past blockers instead of getting off blocks. It seemed they were almost over coached to the point of paralysis. Everything was tentative. It was infuriating.

Anyways, I don't think the defense will be awesome by any stretch, but they could certainly prove to be much better than they have shown to this point, though I'm not optimistic. The coaches talked about the D needing to get their confidence back, which scares the hell out of me. We will know by halftime next week how this season is going to go, will SDSU have to Big Sky it and try to outscored teams or be able to be a real MVFC contender.

clenz
September 23rd, 2016, 01:18 PM
I'm as down on UNI as anyone but the reality is the UNI defense is WAY too damn good to not have this team in position to win almost every game the rest of the year.

It depends whether the special teams (to a lesser extent offense) figures it out.

Bisonator
September 23rd, 2016, 03:08 PM
I'm as down on UNI as anyone but the reality is the UNI defense is WAY too damn good to not have this team in position to win almost every game the rest of the year.

It depends whether the special teams (to a lesser extent offense) figures it out.

So basically just like every year?

Aeacos
September 23rd, 2016, 03:20 PM
So basically just like every year?

Pretty much, except FG kicking is not near as realiable

dewey
September 23rd, 2016, 10:28 PM
Apparently NDSU has been in touch with the Minnesota Twins about having a football game at Target Field.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4122131-mcfeely-ndsu-looks-possible-football-game-target-field

I bet NDSU would bring 30,000 fans or more.

Dewey

Twentysix
September 24th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Holding an NDSU UND game outside the state of ND is dumb as ****.

NDSU vs UNI at Target field would be glorious.

Drblankstare
September 24th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Holding an NDSU UND game outside the state of ND is dumb as ****.

NDSU vs UNI at Target field would be glorious.

100% agree, if they can pull it off, UNI should be the game.

dewey
September 24th, 2016, 07:39 AM
NDSU vs UNI at Target Field would probably have a higher attendance then every Twins game. Assuming the Twins are as terrible as this year.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2016, 10:58 AM
NDSU vs UNI at Target Field would probably have a higher attendance then every Twins game. Assuming the Twins are as terrible as this year.

Dewey

It would probably sell out with 3/4 Bison fans.

Rollbird5
September 24th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Jake Kolbe not starting today for the Birds due to shoulder injury. Freshman Tristan Smith to start against Indiana state

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 24th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Jake Kolbe not starting today for the Birds due to shoulder injury. Freshman Tristan Smith to start against Indiana state

Will it really matter though? I don't have the highest opinion of ISU-B

Rollbird5
September 24th, 2016, 12:21 PM

I guess we will find out!

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Post your week 5 power rankings

According to my poll the MVFC is like this:

1. North Dakota State
2. Western Illinois
3. Youngstown State
4. Northern Iowa
5. South Dakota State
6. Indiana State
7. Illinois State
8. Southern Illinois
9. South Dakota
10. Missouri St

I have the top 7 ranked in my AGS poll.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 11:17 AM

xcoffeex

underdawg
September 25th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Post your week 5 power rankings

According to my poll the MVFC is like this:

1. North Dakota State
2. Western Illinois
3. Youngstown State
4. Northern Iowa
5. South Dakota State
6. Indiana State
7. Illinois State
8. Southern Illinois
9. South Dakota
10. Missouri St

I have the top 7 ranked in my AGS poll.

1. Bison

2. YSU

3.UNI

4. SIU

5. WIU

6. SDSU

7. USD

8. In State

9. Il state

10. MSU

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 25th, 2016, 01:42 PM
xcoffeex

What i didn't think ISU-r was that good eitherxpeacex

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 02:54 PM
What i didn't think ISU-r was that good eitherxpeacex

xlolx

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2016, 04:41 PM
1. Bison

2. YSU

3.UNI

4. SIU

5. WIU

6. SDSU

7. USD

8. In State

9. Il state

10. MSU

Pleas justify 2, 4, and 5. I can't wait to hear this lunacy

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 05:24 PM
Wentz is looking good. 27-3 philly

underdawg
September 25th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Pleas justify 2, 4, and 5. I can't wait to hear this lunacy

I've seen all of them and that's my judgement on the matter--Rabbit fans seem a bit testy after peeing down their legs last game. YSU has a ground game that will be hard to stop (except by bison) and WIU will lose soon after showing a propensity to start choking near end of a game--pretty poor game management, I'd say.

SIU? I just like them more

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I've seen all of them and that's my judgement on the matter--Rabbit fans seem a bit testy after peeing down their legs last game. YSU has a ground game that will be hard to stop (except by bison) and WIU will lose soon after showing a propensity to start choking near end of a game--pretty poor game management, I'd say.

SIU? I just like them more

This has zero to do with SDSU, where you have them is fine by me.

So your justification is WIU almost gave up a game at the end vs a FBS squad, YSU can run the ball vs the little sisters of the poor, and you're a homer. Got it. Very thought provoking.

Twentysix
September 25th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Hey jack attack put up the week 5 pickem.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 07:57 PM
I don't understand the love for Youngstown State. I get the Western Illinois props early. I'm not sure that they're better than Northern Iowa or South Dakota state, but I did rank them above both teams until proven otherwise

Thumper 76
September 25th, 2016, 08:02 PM
Hey jack attack put up the week 5 pickem.

It'll be a while just dropped my daughter at her moms 3 hrs away.

ytownchief22
September 25th, 2016, 09:24 PM
As always, we will see which real YSU team shows up when the calendar hits late October. Playoffs are long, long overdue.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 10:22 PM

hey Clenz, was thinking about you the other day, new kid (well he's actually 40) checked in at work and I learned he was a pretty big Texas High school football player, RB, He said he ended up at a Div 2 school in Iowa, (cant remember the name he said) ... I told him, keep talking, what happened? he said he went back to Texas after a few practices, he said his mother cried when he left and cried harder when he came back. He was from Houston area and described himself as an "Inner city kid" and all the sudden your up in a small Iowa town with 2 stop lights (his words) it was just to much of a culture shock for me and looking back on it was a big mistake....... I think he said the school was outside of Cedar Rapids.

ST_Lawson
September 25th, 2016, 10:32 PM
I don't understand the love for Youngstown State. I get the Western Illinois props early. I'm not sure that they're better than Northern Iowa or South Dakota state, but I did rank them above both teams until proven otherwise

I feel the same way (not that I'm a voter, but still...). For now, we're doing great, but this conference is a whole other ballgame. We can play really well when we want to, but if we let up on the gas in the second half like we did against Northern Illinois, then out of NDSU, SDSU, and UNI, we'd probably go 1-2 or 0-3 (depending on what the heck is up with SDSU's defense).

YSU I just don't see yet.

Right now, based on what I've seen on the field from the teams for this season, I'd go with NDSU, WIU, SDSU, UNI, YSU, ISUb/SIU about tied, ISUr, USD, and MSU. Obviously, quite a bit could change where we are depending on how we do against SDSU and UNI, but that's where things are as of today, I'd say. And who knows what could happen if one of the top teams are unexpectedly upset by someone like USD or even MSU.

Completely unrelated, back when we played Northern Arizona, there was a play midfield where our QB threw it to a sophomore receiver, Isaiah (Zeke) Lesure, who got just about the highest up in the air I think I've ever seen a player get. If he's got a second to set his feet, he can get WAY up there. Anyway, I found a photo of him going up for that catch over on our athletics website.
I like to call it "and the ball sails over the head of....lol nope": http://goleathernecks.com//images/2016/9/15//16_LesureIsaiah_NAU_700_3925_470.JPG

Bisonoline
September 25th, 2016, 10:32 PM
hey Clenz, was thinking about you the other day, new kid (well he's actually 40) checked in at work and I learned he was a pretty big Texas High school football player, RB, He said he ended up at a Div 2 school in Iowa, (cant remember the name he said) ... I told him, keep talking, what happened? he said he went back to Texas after a few practices, he said his mother cried when he left and cried harder when he came back. He was from Houston area and described himself as an "Inner city kid" and all the sudden your up in a small Iowa town with 2 stop lights (his words) it was just to much of a culture shock for me and looking back on it was a big mistake....... I think he said the school was outside of Cedar Rapids.

Coe is in Cedar Rapids and Cornell is in Mt Vernon. But they are D3 I think.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2016, 10:41 PM
I'm going to ask him the name of the school but this was in the mid-90's....

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2016, 10:55 PM

D-II would be Upper Iowa in Fayette. D-III there are a few options.

Houndawg
September 25th, 2016, 11:43 PM

The D2 kid appears to be adjusting. We might be able to give UNI a game if we can get some pass blocking.

Trumpster
September 26th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Anyway, I found a photo of him going up for that catch over on our athletics website.
I like to call it "and the ball sails over the head of....lol nope": http://goleathernecks.com//images/2016/9/15//16_LesureIsaiah_NAU_700_3925_470.JPG

What the actual ****

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 08:26 AM
What the actual ****

Yup...how the hell is a defender supposed to defend that?

Here's a bit of video from that same game, different play. It's not so much his ability to dive and catch the ball low (something he also did against Northern Illinois), but if you watch his little "celebration" with Lance Lenior following the TD, you can see how high he can get up off the ground, even when he's not really trying: https://youtu.be/Pqv9T5AYXD8?t=1m16s

Here's a screen capture from the video where they're at the top of their jumps. Lenoir is #7 on the left, Lesure is on the right:
https://i.imgur.com/OUCODff.png

Sycamore62
September 26th, 2016, 08:43 AM
well, i'd say just use a lot of contact because they dont seem to have an interest calling it in the MVFC this year

clenz
September 26th, 2016, 08:54 AM
If it was a D2 it was Upper Iowa in Fayette.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Iowa_University
http://upperiowaathletics.com/index.aspx?path=football
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayette,_Iowa

Given his age though I have no idea what it would have been. UIU has only been D2 for about 11 years. There isn't another D2 in the state. UIU is also about an hour NE of Cedar Falls, so about 2-2.5 from CR.

In the CR area there is:
Coe (D3), but that is downtown Cedar Rapids and as close to inner city as you can get from a culture around campus stand point
Mount Mercy (NAIA) not far from the north side of down town but they don't have football and were D3 until a few years back I believe
Cornell (D3) about 20 minutes from Cedar Rapids in Mt. Vernon. Mt Vernon is about 2,000 people and probably has just a handful of stop lights even at this point.

Mt Vernon is almost identical to the 33ish other D3/NAIA football programs in the state and what the area is like. I've never understood how these schools land kids from across the US like they do, not just athletes as the student population is crazy diverse at most of these places. Almost all of the towns are <10K people, 99% white, 99.9% church every Sunday Christians, etc...

underdawg
September 26th, 2016, 08:55 AM
This has zero to do with SDSU, where you have them is fine by me.

So your justification is WIU almost gave up a game at the end vs a FBS squad, YSU can run the ball vs the little sisters of the poor, and you're a homer. Got it. Very thought provoking.

Your right I should adjust this

1. NDSU

2. UNI

3. YSU

4. SIU

5. WIU

6. USD

7. SDSU

8. In State

9. Il State

10. MSU

There, you satisfied?

underdawg
September 26th, 2016, 08:58 AM
The D2 kid appears to be adjusting. We might be able to give UNI a game if we can get some pass blocking.

The D2 Kid is little less intimidated now than when Clentz called him out

ysubigred
September 26th, 2016, 09:13 AM
My xtwocentsx

1. NDSU

2. WIU

3. UNI

4. YSU

5. SIU

6. INDY St

7. SDSU

8. ILL ST

9. SD

10. MSU

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 09:21 AM
What the actual ****

Oh, and don't try to tackle him low. If he sees you coming, he's going up and over you: https://i.imgur.com/37WsN4b.jpg

clenz
September 26th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Oh, and don't try to tackle him low. If he sees you coming, he's going up and over you: https://i.imgur.com/37WsN4b.jpg

Can't wait for him to try that **** on UNI

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Can't wait for him to try that **** on UNI

Oh, I know. Kinda scared the crap out of me when he did it. It was awesome that he pulled it off, but I do not want to see him "helicoptering" over the sideline like that EIU player last year.

ysubigred
September 26th, 2016, 09:38 AM
As always, we will see which real YSU team shows up when the calendar hits late October. Playoffs are long, long overdue.

I'm with you chief! I don't have a warm and fuzzy with the "O" you all are loving up there (running QB)! After watching a bunch of football this week, our "D" isn't as bad as I thought. No one seems to be able to stop the med/long pass because of the soft cover 2's and rules for the benefit of the receivers.

We'll see "IF" BOP can keep his cool! Another factor I don't have a warm and fuzzy for xpissedx

clenz
September 26th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Oh, I know. Kinda scared the crap out of me when he did it. It was awesome that he pulled it off, but I do not want to see him "helicoptering" over the sideline like that EIU player last year.
You mean this?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Fr9gmV6h_Fs/maxresdefault.jpg

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 10:02 AM

The biggest problem that I see happen a lot with players is once they get away with jumping one guy, they tend to get addicted to it. That's when they get in trouble.

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 10:19 AM
My MVFC power rankings:

1) NDSU: Pretty self explanatory. I tire of hearing about all the accolades for the bison, so I'm not listing them here. Probably need two conference losses for me to drop them from here.

2) WIU: FBS win, one real good looking win against EIU, and a decent win vs NAU. Extremely balanced and dangerous offense, legit top 10 team at this point in my book.

3) UNI: hate having a team with a losing record here, but in typical UNI fashion they schedule an extremely difficult OOC, play well and lose close. If they play most teams OOC they are minimum 2-1. One more loss and they are going to free fall down my list.

4) YSU: Played fairly tough against WVU and did what they are supposed to do against weak competition. Looks like your normal early season Penguins team. Since this list is for right now and not to predict the end of the season, have to have them here.

5) SDSU: Has an offense to play with anybody, and I mean anybody, but has a defense that is poor at best right now. Cal Poly loss doesn't look bad at all after this week, but still, losing record. Can't have them any higher than here IMO.

6) Indy St: Has a good win vs Ill St and a win vs a weak OVC team. Look to be a fairly solid but not overpowering team this year that takes advantage of your mistakes.

7) Ill St: Two losses against decent teams, a win vs a cupcake, and a FBS win that doesn't look much for impressive than beating a Slum Belch team. This team really has their backs against the wall if they want to make the playoffs, and facing NDSU this week in Fargo doesn't look like it will help that cause.

8) SIU: Toss up for me between them and USD. No good wins, almost losing to a SEMO team at home that barely squeaked by Murray St looks bad in my book. FAU loss doesn't impress me as they look worse than Northern Illinois so far. Big test this week to see if they will make noise or not this year.

9) USD: Extremely explosive team, but their young QB gives up as many points as he scores. Really bipolar, and that doesn't bode well for conference games. They are going to ruin a couple teams seasons this year though.

10) Misery St: Hey, at least they've won some games this year. Plus they only had to play half a game against K State to get all the paycheck for half the beating. I think they might snag a win in conference this year. At least they figured out how to win a game once in a while.

UNIFanSince1983
September 26th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Defense appears to be optional in the state of South Dakota this year. USD giving up 48ppg this year. SDSU giving up 41.7ppg Yikes!

clenz
September 26th, 2016, 10:46 AM
The issue with your breakdown for UNI is that this is the first time UNI has lost an OOC FCS game since 2010. First time they've lost an FCS OOC road game since 1997

It's pretty much never that the OOC hurts them, especially like it did this year.

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2016, 10:55 AM
You mean this?

(image removed because it's huge)

Yes, I mean exactly that. I thought I was about to see someone die live on tv. Thankfully he was cleared for a safe landing and was able to get up. If he'd gotten slightly turned and landed head down, it could have been really bad from that height.

Thumper 76
September 26th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Defense appears to be optional in the state of South Dakota this year. USD giving up 48ppg this year. SDSU giving up 41.7ppg Yikes!

To be fair, the Yotes offense is actually giving up almost half of those points with turnovers.

And while I don't think that SDSU has a good defense by any stretch, the optimist in me says they aren't as bad as their stats are showing at this point. I think it's about 50% a product of who they have faced as well. TCU is averaging 42.8 ppg as a FBS team and Cal Poly is averaging 36.25 ppg. So realistically, SDSU isn't giving up that much more than those teams average, especially when you consider TCU scored a TD off a fluke tipped pass and a 13 yd TD after a fumble recovery. So basically if you go all clenz on it and dive deep into the stats the defense isn't good by any stretch, but I don't think they are as terrible as they appear either.

BisonTru
September 26th, 2016, 04:17 PM
This is how Massey currently has the MVFC ranked with expected final record.

1. North Dakota State 10-1
2. Western Illinois 8-3
3. Northern Iowa 6-5
4. Illinois St 6-5
5. Youngstown St 6-5
6. South Dakota St 5-6
7. Indiana St 6-5
8. Southern Ill 6-5
9. South Dakota 3-8
10. Missouri St 2-9

Most likely to get to 7 wins in order according to Massey: YSU, UNI, ISUr, ISUb, SIU

SDSU is also very close to being a coin flip on 6-5 vs 5-6.

Kind of interesting. I wouldn't be shocked to see another 6-5 team make it in the playoffs especially if the above scenario plays out. Not sure who they would pick or what the bubble will look like. It certainly would help if USD and MSU don't come up and steal any wins and if NDSU drops an extra game (already predicting one loss).

Sycamore62
September 26th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I dont think our wins over butler and Semo get us in at 6-5. We would have to lose to playoff teams and also beat NDSU or UNI in the final 2 weeks. Beating UNI at that point might make the win look not at good though.

caribbeanhen
September 27th, 2016, 08:11 PM
If it was a D2 it was Upper Iowa in Fayette.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Iowa_University
http://upperiowaathletics.com/index.aspx?path=football
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayette,_Iowa

Given his age though I have no idea what it would have been. UIU has only been D2 for about 11 years. There isn't another D2 in the state. UIU is also about an hour NE of Cedar Falls, so about 2-2.5 from CR.

In the CR area there is:
Coe (D3), but that is downtown Cedar Rapids and as close to inner city as you can get from a culture around campus stand point
Mount Mercy (NAIA) not far from the north side of down town but they don't have football and were D3 until a few years back I believe
Cornell (D3) about 20 minutes from Cedar Rapids in Mt. Vernon. Mt Vernon is about 2,000 people and probably has just a handful of stop lights even at this point.

Mt Vernon is almost identical to the 33ish other D3/NAIA football programs in the state and what the area is like. I've never understood how these schools land kids from across the US like they do, not just athletes as the student population is crazy diverse at most of these places. Almost all of the towns are <10K people, 99% white, 99.9% church every Sunday Christians, etc...

he said it was Iowa Wesleyan (sure I don't have it spelled right) I asked him the name of the town and he said he said he didn't even know if the town had a name and if it did he didn't remember.....

Twentysix
September 27th, 2016, 08:13 PM
he said it was Iowa Wesleyan (sure I don't have it spelled right) I asked him the name of the town and he said he said he didn't even know if the town had a name and if it did he didn't remember.....

Looks like they were NAIA. So when he said Division 2 he meant NAIA division 2. Had a different guy swear he played division 1 baseball and didn't know the difference between NAIA Division I and NCAA Division I.

PantherRob82
September 27th, 2016, 08:14 PM

I think it's in Mount Pleasant.

caribbeanhen
September 27th, 2016, 09:12 PM
yea, I did some fact checking on him and only got more confused myself, but maybe he is confused .... haha

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2016, 09:27 PM

xlolx there's towns in Iowa with 30 people and they still have a name.

TheKingpin28
September 27th, 2016, 09:33 PM
xlolx there's towns in Iowa with 30 people and they still have a name.

Ever been to Oasis, Iowa? I have and I did not realize it until I turned around and realized I drove through it. At last count it was 7 people.

clenz
September 27th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Ritter...I'm not even sure it has people

Edna has about 15

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Ever been to Oasis, Iowa? I have and I did not realize it until I turned around and realized I drove through it. At last count it was 7 people.

No, but I have been to such gems as Ireton, Craig, and Struble among others that made the coworkers with me from the city worry they were going to be abducted by some hills have eyes type folks xlolx

Twentysix
September 27th, 2016, 09:58 PM
North Dakota has some towns like that, Heimdal for example. I think it has like 4 people in it, thing is at some point in the past it was more populous.

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2016, 10:05 PM
You should check out Turkey Ridge SD. That's a metropolis right there.

Although I really shouldn't talk. I grew up in a town with a car dealership (why it was there, no idea) whose slogan was "located in Fifield, where there's more cars than people" and I highly doubt they had 100 cars. They weren't lying though.

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I think it's in Mount Pleasant.

It is indeed. It's about an hour south of Iowa City and about an hour and a half northwest of Macomb. Mt. Pleasant is a little less than half the size of Macomb, but Iowa Weslyan itself is tiny...like 600 students or something.

Also....WOHOO!!! Tiny Town Party!!!

Let me introduce you to Bigneck, IL....where's the town, you say?...you're lookin' at it. I think it's technically an "unincorporated community", but damn if they don't have a town sign announcing you've arrived. Here's an aerial view of the bustling metropolis in all it's glory: https://goo.gl/maps/fRKE2NEzPWx
And here's the google streetview shot from the center of town...looks like it's "rush hour": https://goo.gl/maps/eAYtcAkLSJw

http://i.imgur.com/YzjGWzD.jpg

Houndawg
September 28th, 2016, 05:26 AM
My MVFC power rankings:

1) NDSU: Pretty self explanatory. I tire of hearing about all the accolades for the bison, so I'm not listing them here. Probably need two conference losses for me to drop them from here.

2) WIU: FBS win, one real good looking win against EIU, and a decent win vs NAU. Extremely balanced and dangerous offense, legit top 10 team at this point in my book.

3) UNI: hate having a team with a losing record here, but in typical UNI fashion they schedule an extremely difficult OOC, play well and lose close. If they play most teams OOC they are minimum 2-1. One more loss and they are going to free fall down my list.

4) YSU: Played fairly tough against WVU and did what they are supposed to do against weak competition. Looks like your normal early season Penguins team. Since this list is for right now and not to predict the end of the season, have to have them here.

5) SDSU: Has an offense to play with anybody, and I mean anybody, but has a defense that is poor at best right now. Cal Poly loss doesn't look bad at all after this week, but still, losing record. Can't have them any higher than here IMO.

6) Indy St: Has a good win vs Ill St and a win vs a weak OVC team. Look to be a fairly solid but not overpowering team this year that takes advantage of your mistakes.

7) Ill St: Two losses against decent teams, a win vs a cupcake, and a FBS win that doesn't look much for impressive than beating a Slum Belch team. This team really has their backs against the wall if they want to make the playoffs, and facing NDSU this week in Fargo doesn't look like it will help that cause.

8) SIU: Toss up for me between them and USD. No good wins, almost losing to a SEMO team at home that barely squeaked by Murray St looks bad in my book. FAU loss doesn't impress me as they look worse than Northern Illinois so far. Big test this week to see if they will make noise or not this year.

9) USD: Extremely explosive team, but their young QB gives up as many points as he scores. Really bipolar, and that doesn't bode well for conference games. They are going to ruin a couple teams seasons this year though.

10) Misery St: Hey, at least they've won some games this year. Plus they only had to play half a game against K State to get all the paycheck for half the beating. I think they might snag a win in conference this year. At least they figured out how to win a game once in a while.

Meh. SEMO is a rivalry game and always plays us tough; their coach was on Kill's staff when Hill played. I was there and SEMO, while better than advertised, played from behind the whole game and really didn't have anyone on the edge of their seats. It could have been more like the 50-17 Murray St. game if Hill hadn't kept the playbook shut. Should be a great game with SDSU - two good offenses, two not-so-good defenses.xcoffeex

clenz
September 28th, 2016, 07:27 AM
It is indeed. It's about an hour south of Iowa City and about an hour and a half northwest of Macomb. Mt. Pleasant is a little less than half the size of Macomb, but Iowa Weslyan itself is tiny...like 600 students or something.

Also....WOHOO!!! Tiny Town Party!!!

Let me introduce you to Bigneck, IL....where's the town, you say?...you're lookin' at it. I think it's technically an "unincorporated community", but damn if they don't have a town sign announcing you've arrived. Here's an aerial view of the bustling metropolis in all it's glory: https://goo.gl/maps/fRKE2NEzPWx
And here's the google streetview shot from the center of town...looks like it's "rush hour": https://goo.gl/maps/eAYtcAkLSJw

http://i.imgur.com/YzjGWzD.jpg
I have a couple accounts I deal with in Mt Pleasant. I get there once or twice a month.

Mt Pleasant is a relatively large Iowa town, outside of the major metros it's about as big as it gets - ~9K.

As it sits, including every city as it's own city Mt Pleasant is 45th in the state of Iowa - Des Moines (the city) is the largest at 203K.

HOWEVER, start combining metro populations (Des Moines,/West Des Moines/Johnston/Urbandale/Waukee/Clive/etc..., CF/Wloo, Iowa City/Coralville, and so on and Mt Pleasant is the 29th largest stand alone city in the state.

Going a step further and taking out cities that are within about 20 minutes of other cities on the list (essentially cities that exist as large as they are because of each other) and Mt Pleasant moves comfortably into the top 20

Mt Pleastant high school is the 57th largest high school in the state of Iowa at ~680 kids 9-12. 57th doesn't sound that high but there are 370 schools in the state of Iowa and about 80 of them have less than 100 students. The school I went too was 278th in enrollment in 2015 at 113 kids. If we look at the largest schools in the state of Iowa and take out schools that are in the major metros (Des Moines, CR, CF/Wloo, Sioux City, Quad Cities, etc...) and Mt Pleasant moves into a top 10-15 size school in the state of Iowa.

By comparison, I live a mile from the 5th largest school in the state which has roughly 2,200 kids grades 9-12 (or 2.5 times the size of my home town's population, including country dwellers). The school is one of the three fastest growing schools (and cities) in the state of Iowa. They are in the middle of a $60m school renovation to just the high school, plus renovating 4 of the 7 elementary schools. Oh, and they are in the process of drawing up plans to open a new school building and redo the structure of the school district because in the next decade they project grades 9-12 to go from about 2,200 to over 3,000. Why do they expect that? Well at the 1990 census the population was 19,500. The 2010 census the population was over 34,700. In 2014, because of the number of new home sales and people moving into the city, school growth (at both schools, the other school is about 800 kids 9-12), etc... they started a special census and found that between 2010 and 2015 the city grew nearly 4,000 residents. By 2020 they are expecting the number to go from 38,000 to over 42,000. So in roughly 20 years Marion has more than doubled in size. I moved to Marion in 2013. The house we bought was built in 1998. At the time the house was built it was the most north and east house in town. By 2010 the city had added thousands of houses to the north and east. Since Oct 2013 when we moved in the city has added a few hundred more homes/condos east of the homes they added between 2003 and 2013.

TL;DR: Yeah, Mt Pleasant isn't big but it's pretty damn good sized for the state of Iowa. Though I can understand how a kid from Houston probably didn't like it.

Bisonator
September 28th, 2016, 08:35 AM
ND has a ton of little towns that were much bigger 100 years or so ago. It's kind of sad when you drive through them now days but it is what it is. My grandparents lived in a bustling little town until the grain elevator burned down, then the train stopped coming thru and eventually people move to bigger cities, the stores and post offices close, etc. Now there's less then 20 people living there.

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Meh. SEMO is a rivalry game and always plays us tough; their coach was on Kill's staff when Hill played. I was there and SEMO, while better than advertised, played from behind the whole game and really didn't have anyone on the edge of their seats. It could have been more like the 50-17 Murray St. game if Hill hadn't kept the playbook shut. Should be a great game with SDSU - two good offenses, two not-so-good defenses.xcoffeex

You mean the same SEMO that barely squeaked by Murray St? The same one that led SIU for the majority of the first half? I know eventually they pulled away, and Indy St was in a closer game with them. But the trees have won games of substance afterwards that show that to be more of an anomaly.

This weekend will go a long ways on selling me on how good SIU really is.

UNIFanSince1983
September 28th, 2016, 11:09 AM
You mean the same SEMO that barely squeaked by Murray St? The same one that led SIU for the majority of the first half? I know eventually they pulled away, and Indy St was in a closer game with them. But the trees have won games of substance afterwards that show that to be more of an anomaly.

Funny thing is yeah they struggled against SEMO and you bring up SEMO vs Murray St. but seem to ignore the 50-17 beat down SIU put on that Murray St. team. So either SIU had a really bad game against SEMO (which they tend to do) or SEMO had a really bad game against Murray St. And the only other game that ISUb has won since then that prove it was an anomaly is ISUr who hasn't exactly done anything to prove they are a good team other than holding NW to 7 points. Each team has a win over SEMO. Each team has an FBS loss. ISUb has a win over Butler and SIU has a win over Murray St. So really the only thing ISUb has going is they have played one extra game at this point. Looking at it is probably a wash.

Bisonator
September 28th, 2016, 11:16 AM
What's surprising is going a couple pages thru this thread without a Casey's pizza reference. I'm hungry.....

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjlYlEud25R0a5FWkbK5qBhT1wVjN7a-OtZH2zAQPS_qO-GZLb

IndyTreeFan
September 28th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Funny thing is yeah they struggled against SEMO and you bring up SEMO vs Murray St. but seem to ignore the 50-17 beat down SIU put on that Murray St. team. So either SIU had a really bad game against SEMO (which they tend to do) or SEMO had a really bad game against Murray St. And the only other game that ISUb has won since then that prove it was an anomaly is ISUr who hasn't exactly done anything to prove they are a good team other than holding NW to 7 points. Each team has a win over SEMO. Each team has an FBS loss. ISUb has a win over Butler and SIU has a win over Murray St. So really the only thing ISUb has going is they have played one extra game at this point. Looking at it is probably a wash.

I'm not buying Indiana State yet. I couldn't tell you if we're better than expected or if Illinois State is (much) worse than expected. We'll know more in a few weeks...

UNIFanSince1983
September 28th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I'm not buying Indiana State yet. I couldn't tell you if we're better than expected or if Illinois State is (much) worse than expected. We'll know more in a few weeks...

I am with you on that. I have not been sold on ISUr so far this year, but they can prove me wrong. Wasn't trying to take anything from ISUb either, but we are still early and trying to figure out where everyone stands (well aside from NDSU).

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2016, 11:32 AM

Depends on who you're talking to for expectations. I think a good amount of people here didn't expect ISUr to be much more than mediocre with what they lost. I do think that Indy St is doing better than I thought they would when they had their returning QB suspended.

Twentysix
September 28th, 2016, 12:18 PM

My expectations for ISUb were pretty low, so I would say they are certainly better than expected for me. Time will tell, but I'm not sure either of the ISUs are top 20 teams.

Houndawg
September 28th, 2016, 12:23 PM

Same one, same deal - rivalry. All three schools are about an hour by bus from each other.

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Same one, same deal - rivalry. All three schools are about an hour by bus from each other.

SDSU is rivals with USeD but only one game has been close over the last five years. I would bet they are more heated rivals with over 100 meetings.

Houndawg
September 28th, 2016, 12:30 PM
You might win that bet. Then again, you might lose that bet too.

underdawg
September 28th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I'm really scared about this game--UNI has one of the best D's in the nation--last year we could only run for 204 yards and pass for 264 yards (468 total) --that's quite a defensive effort by the Panthers--also Daquan Isom only averaged 12 ypc and had three TDs--quite a downer for him

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I'm really scared about this game--UNI has one of the best D's in the nation--last year we could only run for 204 yards and pass for 264 yards (468 total) --that's quite a defensive effort by the Panthers--also Daquan Isom only averaged 12 ypc and had three TDs--quite a downer for him

Meh...... What did your defense do in that game? Gave up 300 rushing and 180 passing.....

SIU are perennial underachievers, will this year be different?

UNI rolls in this game.

clenz
September 28th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Meh...... What did your defense do in that game? Gave up 300 rushing and 180 passing.....

SIU are perennial underachievers, will this year be different?

UNI rolls in this game.

He likes hide stats but forgets the game was out of hand early and All but about 20 of Isoms yards were on 3 plays.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2016, 01:15 PM
He likes hide stats but forgets the game was out of hand early and All but about 20 of Isoms yards were on 3 plays.

SIU is like EWU.....IMO...just try to outscore the opponent.

Play good defense and run the ball, a proven formula for success in the Valley and nationally in the FCS......SIU does neither.

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2016, 01:21 PM
You might win that bet. Then again, you might lose that bet too.

Doubtful. Ever have home games where carcasses of the opponents mascot are tossed onto the court? Have the other team put a billboard up on the interstate at the exit for your school, only to have someone put the carcass of a coyote up on it? Do they have to have security force fans turn t shirts inside out or changed in order to keep the environment in control? Has one institution actually tried to have the other closed and programs moved to their campus?

UNIFanSince1983
September 28th, 2016, 01:23 PM

And out of that 468, 324 was produced by Iannotti. 69% of that yardage is gone this year.

Where as UNI had 494, and only 16 of those yards are by someone not on our team this year. We lose 3.3% of our production from last year.

Lest we forget the fact that the final score was 21 points in our favor despite all those yards you racked up...

underdawg
September 28th, 2016, 01:24 PM

I forgot, those types of TDs don't count--thanx for the correction---fact is YOUR D game up 480 yards--148 yard more than your 2015 average. I predict we will play a bit better D than we did all last year==it will be hard to win given it is AGAIN at UNI-Tin Can. Good teams win their home games in this league, don't you agree?

Yotes21
September 28th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Doubtful. Ever have home games where carcasses of the opponents mascot are tossed onto the court? Have the other team put a billboard up on the interstate at the exit for your school, only to have someone put the carcass of a coyote up on it? Do they have to have security force fans turn t shirts inside out or changed in order to keep the environment in control? Has one institution actually tried to have the other closed and programs moved to their campus?

Ahhh, the good ole days.

Houndawg
September 28th, 2016, 03:20 PM

So?

Schism55
September 28th, 2016, 03:20 PM
I forgot, those types of TDs don't count--thanx for the correction---fact is YOUR D game up 480 yards--148 yard more than your 2015 average. I predict we will play a bit better D than we did all last year==it will be hard to win given it is AGAIN at UNI-Tin Can. Good teams win their home games in this league, don't you agree?
A wiser man than I once said, "It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."

Houndawg
September 28th, 2016, 03:22 PM

The mean streets of Brookings.

Houndawg
September 28th, 2016, 03:26 PM
And out of that 468, 324 was produced by Iannotti. 69% of that yardage is gone this year.

Where as UNI had 494, and only 16 of those yards are by someone not on our team this year. We lose 3.3% of our production from last year.

Lest we forget the fact that the final score was 21 points in our favor despite all those yards you racked up...

I'd say it will be a moral victory for SIU to lose by less than three TDs.

One ray of hope for SIU is that a Big Sky defense held UNI to 14 pts.

Grizalltheway
September 28th, 2016, 04:01 PM
I'd say it will be a moral victory for SIU to lose by less than three TDs.

One ray of hope for SIU is that a Big Sky defense held UNI to 14 pts.

I seriously doubt any MFVC team, with the exception of possibly NDSU, will hold them to 14 points this season.

And if you think Montana plays defense like the average Big Sky team, you haven't been paying attention.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2016, 04:05 PM
I seriously doubt any MFVC team, with the exception of possibly NDSU, will hold them to 14 points this season.

And if you think Montana plays defense like the average Big Sky team, you haven't been paying attention.

Stitt must have realized after the playoff curb stomping in Fargo that defense is a must to win the title.

How many transfers did he bring in?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 28th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Doesn't matter how many yards they gave up to Ionatti, UNI won. SIU's defense has been horrible and it needs to improve significantly for any hope of ever winning they Valley or making the playoffs.

clenz
September 28th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Doesn't matter how many yards they gave up to Ionatti, UNI won. SIU's defense has been horrible and it needs to improve significantly for any hope of ever winning they Valley or making the playoffs.
It's interesting he wants to point at the yards they had and that it was out of the norm for the UNI defense. Yep, it was. To assume that your running back is going to have 3 carries result in roughly 200 yards again this year to get back to that yardage total is a bit naive.

Meanwhile the glancing over the yardage UNI was able to put up with what their offense look liked last year.

Last season UNI had 313 yards rushing, 181 yards passing for 494 total yards and scored 48 points....UNI threw just 8 passes in the second half.

In the other games of the season UNI averaged 227 yards rushing, 146 yards passing and 28 points.

Sure, if Isom breaks off runs of 61 and 72 yard runs on back to back offensive plays again this year, we might see an SIU win. Absolutely. Won't deny that.

It is, however, worth noting that Isom's other runs (according to the box score were 2, 4, 0, 4, 2, -2 (fumble), 4, 2, 4, 1, 3, 0. Seems more telling of what kind of game it was more than the 2 plays he did make.

- - - Updated - - -

It's interesting he wants to point at the yards they had and that it was out of the norm for the UNI defense. Yep, it was. To assume that your running back is going to have 3 carries result in roughly 200 yards again this year to get back to that yardage total is a bit naive.

Meanwhile the glancing over the yardage UNI was able to put up with what their offense look liked last year.

Last season UNI had 313 yards rushing, 181 yards passing for 494 total yards and scored 48 points....UNI threw just 8 passes in the second half.

In the other games of the season UNI averaged 227 yards rushing, 146 yards passing and 28 points.

Sure, if Isom breaks off runs of 61 and 72 yard runs on back to back offensive plays again this year, we might see an SIU win. Absolutely. Won't deny that.

It is, however, worth noting that Isom's other runs (according to the box score were 2, 4, 0, 4, 2, -2 (fumble), 4, 2, 4, 1, 3, 0. Seems more telling of what kind of game it was more than the 2 plays he did make.

- - - Updated - - -