Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest NCAA Rule changes

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: Latest NCAA Rule changes

Quote Originally Posted by lionsrking2 View Post
    Don't mind the rule on punts but the absolutely most 'stupidest' rule of all is a forward fumble into the end zone being ruled a touchback if not recovered before going out of bounds. In 2022, we lost in OT to Samford in the second round of the playoffs because of that rule. I've never understood the logic of rewarding a defensive team with possession for not recovering a fumble.
    Hate that rule as well, thanks for bringing it up. I forgot about that one but a punt touching the receiving team is not a fumble either and shouldn’t be treated as such. At least on the other scenario a fumble actually occurred but both rules suck balls.
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”– Thomas Jefferson

My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    a punt touching the receiving team is not a fumble either and shouldn’t be treated as such.
    Nor should an inadvertent touch by the kicking team be deemed as the ball being downed. Neither is an intentional act.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHen View Post
    Nor should an inadvertent touch by the kicking team be deemed as the ball being downed. Neither is an intentional act.
    Except, as I stated earlier, we now enter the realm of subjective calls. Was it intentional or not? I like it being black and white. We all know how creative players can get when it comes to skirting rules. We'd just be replacing one issue with another. But the issue we have now is avoidable by just knowing where the dang ball is. Want to take the risk? Pay the consequences.

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHen View Post
    I am actually OK with the ball being spotted at the point of the touch by the kicking team. The "harm" that could happen after the touch outweighs the current result/rule. These rules that change possession for non-intentional touching are dumb, as is the unrecovered fumble through the end zone.
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”– Thomas Jefferson

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

Uh, not sure on this... from the FCS Fans Nation group:

For those of you who may have heard about a new college football rule where one player per team can have a receiver in their helmet that can get communications from the coaches, note that it is only in FBS (and, if I read this right, cannot be used by them in FBS-vs-FCS games), although FCS conferences are allowed to ask the NCAA for permission to use them.
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post

For those of you who may have heard about a new college football rule where one player per team can have a receiver in their helmet that can get communications from the coaches, note that it is only in FBS (and, if I read this right, cannot be used by them in FBS-vs-FCS games), although FCS conferences are allowed to ask the NCAA for permission to use them.
    Coaches can now communicate directly with one player on the field via a helmet system. This communication is signified by a green dot on the helmet and will be disabled 15 seconds before the play clock expires or when the ball is snapped.
    The NCAA will allow teams from all divisions to use up to 18 tablets for viewing in-game video, including broadcast feeds and certain camera angles. These tablets are available for use in the coaching booth, sidelines, and locker room.
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post

This is mostly correct from a rule standpoint and completely correct from a practical standpoint. Yes, the in-helmet comms rule only applies to games involving FBS teams. This doesn't specifically bar teams from using it in FBS-FCS matchups but, if you're the average FCS team, why would you have invested budget money in the technology just for the one or two weeks a year that you would use it? So, because teams aren't allowed to have technological advantages on gameday, one should reasonably expect there to be no comms that day.
    Last edited by Libertine; April 23rd, 2024 at 08:39 AM.

My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    Here is a rule change that is long overdue, on a punt, if the kick inadvertently touches a player on the receiving team, it is no longer a fumble. I have never understood this completely stupid rule. Tell me I am wrong on this.

Also, the two minute warning is stupid, it should be eliminated in all football leagues.
    I agree. Although, I did just find out recently that the 2 minute warning was actually instituted in the early days of the NFL, when time was kept by an official on the field using a stopwatch. Since many stadiums didn't have a visible game clock, an official would call out a two-minute warning at the end of each half. I always thought it was an early-Super Bowl era gimmick brought in for TV advertising purposes.

One reason FOR the two-minute warning. There are different guidelines for clock stoppage inside two minutes of each half as far as running out of bounds and such, and the two-minute warning kind of synchronizes that.

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
    I agree. Although, I did just find out recently that the 2 minute warning was actually instituted in the early days of the NFL, when time was kept by an official on the field using a stopwatch. Since many stadiums didn't have a visible game clock, an official would call out a two-minute warning at the end of each half. I always thought it was an early-Super Bowl era gimmick brought in for TV advertising purposes.

One reason FOR the two-minute warning. There are different guidelines for clock stoppage inside two minutes of each half as far as running out of bounds and such, and the two-minute warning kind of synchronizes that.
    Get rid of that too, I don't think any other sport that is on a clock has that sort of "made up" kind of stuff. Does basketball take the shot clock down to 15 seconds in the last couple minutes?

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post

That may be the original reason, but it'll never go away because of the 3 minutes of revenue currently. And the reason for adding it to college now is purely revenue based.