Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: NCAA President calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes

Re: NCAA President calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    Anyone know what part (ii) below means? https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/fil...orStandAct.pdf

(A) The term “employee” does not include any individual who volunteers to perform services for a public agency which is a State, apolitical subdivision of a State, or an interstate governmental agency, if—
    (i) the individual receives no compensation or is paid expenses, reasonable benefits, or a nominal fee to perform the services for which the individual volunteered; and
    (ii) such services are not the same type of services which the individual is employed to perform for such public agency.
    A janitor at a public university needs to be paid if they clean a different building than normal, even if by choice. They can volunteer to judge a basketweaving competition for no pay though.

ETA: Funny that Fubear said almost the exact same thing while I was typing.
    Go Bison - Class of 05

My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: NCAA President calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    House, which really isn’t seeking to answer ‘the employee question,’ will not be decided until 2025, if then, and FUBeAR has no idea what the timetable for Johnson looks like.

A “messenger” provides unbiased, hopefully truthful and accurate, information.

Not even close in any aspect of that.

You brought your opinion, stated it as a fact; “truth” to be precise, as if your mere opinion represents some irrefutable truth, as you have once again done in this post. And, you also tried to position that the opinions of (one or more) political appointees (only) were/are not “political.” Opinions of political appointees are ALWAYS political. It’s what they are paid to do.

That is not being a “messenger.” It’s marketing. It’s purveying propaganda.

Cyanide was too good for Goebbels. On the other hand, FUBeAR was a big fan of Don Draper.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/05/b...5d233a1e6d83ff
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Paywall - assume it doesn’t say anything different than what FUBeAR has said … An NLRB Regional Director has opined, just as a prior NLRB Regional Director opined in 2014 regarding Northwestern’s Football Players, that Dartmouth’s (Men’s) Basketball Players ARE “Employees” and can be represented by a union (Service Workers in this case; it was Steelworkers at Northwestern) that has gotten at least 30% of the Players (“Employees” in the NLRB’s Director’s opinion) to sign cards / petition the NLRB to hold an election to certify (or not) the union if a majority of these (opined as) “employees” vote for such.

Any other exciting info in that article?

FWIW - in the Northwestern case, the NLRB National Board overruled the Regional Director’s opinion and the results of the election were, allegedly, never tabulated. It is commonly believed that the Northwestern Players, once they had time to REALLY understand what being unionized meant and were to cast a confidential ballot vs. their starting QB requiring them to do an immediate, non-confidential signing of a card in an open group setting, that the union had zero chance of certification. FUBeAR opines that the votes were counted and further opines that IF the Players had voted to certify the union, that info would have leaked in the past 10 years.

We’ll see what happens in the Dartmouth case. Doubtful the current NLRB would overturn the Regional Director as President Biden appointed the NLRB’s Chief Legal Counsel (who has previously opined, rather vehemently, that there is really no such thing as a “Student-Athlete” because they are “employees”) who appointed the Regional Director. It will then go to the courts, most likely…but whether or not that will ‘hold up’ an election remains to be seen, as does the outcome of such an election.

FUBeAR once did an Executive Search for a Large Facility Director in NJ for a company that had 2 sets of Union Workers from 2 different unions walking the picket line outside the Facility - 1st Union went on strike, replacement workers hired, replacement workers unionized by a different union & then they also go on strike - and the 2nd set of replacement workers was in the process of signing cards from a 3rd union. It was a complete ****show. That’s what FUBeAR hopes to see happen at any of these places if STUDENT ATHLETES are determined to be “employees” AND become a ‘union shop.’ It will be ****ing hilarious.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; February 8th, 2024 at 02:19 AM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Note: Shoes are compensation - that's literally what the NLRB's decision entails. They're going to Dartmouth allegedly for the compensation of shoes. No, I'm not making this up. Men's hoops at Dartmouth don't offer extra scholarship $ that isn't already available for the rest of the student body, so a scholarship isn't compensation.

Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

FCS and non-football D-I schools working together aim to "chart a path for the future"...

https://www.on3.com/os/news/ncaa-fcs...tin-ryan-ivey/
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

This about sums it up. Good perspective, albeit from an FBS coach. But it probably reflects the feelings of a large proportion of FCS, and lower division coaches.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nick-...doing-this.amp