Thread: 2023 Semifinal: #5 Albany @ #1 South Dakota State

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FCS Master
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: 2023 Semifinal: #5 Albany @ #1 South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    2023 Albany was an anomaly. Here today, gone tomorrow.
    Hope you're wrong, I like seeing new teams come up and stay good. But for some reason I think they go the way of Maine after their run to the semis a few years ago
    AGS Survivor Pool Winners:

2021: crusader11
    2022: KPSUL
    2023: Karl Havoc

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman View Post
    Hope you're wrong, I like seeing new teams come up and stay good. But for some reason I think they go the way of Maine after their run to the semis a few years ago
    Maine was devastated by transfers and coach defections right after the 2018 season. The head coach took a P5 position coach job, and the defensive coordinator went to JMU as the D Coordinator for twice the money. The starting QB (Furguson) went to Liberty, I believe he had to sit out a year and never started. There were other players who left as well. Part of my thinking on Albany was that they would lose a bunch of talent, especially on defense. Today we learn that the anchors of their D-Line DE Juncaj and DT Hills are in the portal. As I posted elsewhere, I think that Poffenbarger might have jumped, but there are so many QBs in the portal already, especially FBS, it probably would not be a smart move.

I also think Greg Gattuso is not a great coach. Give him credit for assembling one of the best transfer teams in FCS this season, but a lot of these guys are one and done. I shouldn't be getting into a pissing contest with any Albany fans over this (and actually won't), all of whom have been calling for his head on a spike for years before this one good season. I think he has been coaching for 9 seasons and even after this 11-4 season, his overall record at Albany is below .500.
    Last edited by KPSUL; December 18th, 2023 at 06:44 PM.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    Maine was devastated by transfers and coach defections right after the 2018 season. The head coach took a P5 position coach job, and the defensive coordinator went to JMU as the D Coordinator for twice the money. The starting QB (Furguson) went to Liberty, I believe he had to sit out a year and never started. There were other players who left as well. Part of my thinking on Albany was that they would lose a bunch of talent, especially on defense. Today we learn that the anchors of their D-Line DE Juncaj and DT Hills are in the portal. As I posted elsewhere, I think that Poffenbarger might have jumped, but there are so many QBs in the portal already, especially FBS, it probably would not be a smart move.

I also think Greg Gattuso is not a great coach. Give him credit for assembling one of the best transfer teams in FCS this season, but a lot of these guys are one and done. I shouldn't be getting into a pissing contest with any Albany fans over this (and actually won't), all of whom have been calling for his head on a spike for years before this one good season. I think he has been coaching for 9 seasons and even after this 11-4 season, his overall record at Albany is below .500.
    SIU is in the market, I think Nick Baker is getting an SS check now
    Subvert the dominant paradigm

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Houndawg View Post
    SIU is in the market, I think Nick Baker is getting an SS check now
    So is New Hampshire! We've made an offer to one, although I'll keep that on the QT.

I'm sure Baker has nothing age-wise on Rhode Island QB, Kasim Hill. Hill played his first college game in 2017 for Maryland vs Texas.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber