Disclaimer:
Having raised this question to myself because of another thread I have decided to post it here. While I am sure that it will cause some controversy I still feel that it is a question that many would liked answered in some way, so I have decided to post it. I ask everyone to take this just as it is meant and don’t try to spin this into something different. Ok here goes.

Since the SWAC and Ivy's do not participate in the I-AA playoffs what is the point in ranking them in the Top 25. These leagues have decided not to participate in the playoffs themselves. Not that there is anything wrong with that but they have made themselves different for the rest of I-AA.

As for the Ivy's what are they playing for period? Yes they are going to academic schools and are there more so for the education than football but what is the point of playing if you are not playing for something. This is not in the nature of most athletes especially football players. All I can see is that they are playing for bragging rights. I believe the only reason that these schools are keeping programs is because their link with the history of football. Speaking on history wouldn’t one think that because of their deep roots with the history of the game that they would want to be more involved?

On to the SWAC. They are a little different than the Ivy's in that they play for the SWAC championship on national television. This is basically a bowl game for this league and because of the money and recognition that it brings to their teams it doesn’t seem as if they will start participating in the playoffs anytime soon if ever.

The playoff system is what separates I-A and I-AA and we love it because of that. These leagues have decided not to participate for their own reasons. Since they have decided not to participate and make themselves different from the reset of us, what is the point in ranking them with the rest of I-AA? Wouldn’t those spots be better occupied by teams that do participate in the I-AA and the playoffs?

The ranking system is a great measure of who and how to place in the post-season brackets. If these league choose not to do as the Romans do then why give them the when in Rome part? From what I have seen the SWAC could care less how they are ranked against the rest of the I-AA world and care more about how they matched up against other SWAC schools and the SWAC championship. They probably wouldn’t mind being left out. While it seems that the Ivy's take a little more pride in being ranked, once again why rank them if at the end of the regular season it is over for them no matter what their ranking.

This is not hate against either league but rather honest questions. What are your thoughts?