Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Akron debating a drop to FCS - MVC?

Major FCS Ruler

Re: Akron debating a drop to FCS - MVC?

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    Of course YSU hopes they get put in the same side with ISUb, SIU, ISUr and Akron

Only ISUr is any good with a chance of sustained success, and that's only as long as Spack is there and keeps taking fliers on FBS guys that were kicked off their old teams.

Meanwhile the west you'd have UNI, SDSU and NDSU along with WIU who is showing great signs of life and then MSU and USD.

That seems balanced...
    Quote Originally Posted by BisonFan02 View Post
    That's why this doesn't work....divisions are bull**** unless there is a conf championship game...even then they are BS if the top 3 teams from the conference are in the same division.
    In 08 the 3 best teams in the nation were all in one division. Since we have playoffs, it all works out at our level. Except, of course, the committee forcing two of those teams to face off before the semis.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    I've always wondered how a rust belt state like Ohio can financially support nine Division 1 athletic departments; Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Ohio, Miami(OH) Bowling Green, Kent State, Akron and Youngstown State. By comparison Pennsylvania and New York have three each.

What makes it worse imo is the fact that Youngstown State, Kent State and Akron are all within about 40-50 miles of each other in Northeastern part of the state.
    Cleveland State and Dayton are also D-1(although Cleveland State puts money into their bkb program since they don't have a football program.)

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    I've always wondered how a rust belt state like Ohio can financially support nine Division 1 athletic departments; Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Ohio, Miami(OH) Bowling Green, Kent State, Akron and Youngstown State. By comparison Pennsylvania and New York have three each.

What makes it worse imo is the fact that Youngstown State, Kent State and Akron are all within about 40-50 miles of each other in Northeastern part of the state.
    Only one of those is a "Big Time" program, however.

South Carolina, with 1/3 of Ohio's population, has 2 P5 programs (South Carolina and Clemson), 7 FBS programs (Wofford, Furman, PC, CCU, CSU, SC State and The Citadel) and 3 I-AAA programs (Winthrop, College of Charleston, and USC-Upstate).

North Carolina has 4 P5 programs (Duke and Wake really shouldn't count, though), 2 G5 programs (ECU and ASU), and 6 FCS (Elon, WCU, NC A&T, NCCU, Campbell and mighty Davidson) and one College of Faith.

The take-home point is that in most areas, non P5 programs are of regional interests at best, and often only appeal to alumni and friends of the schools. The problem with Ohio is that a lot of the schools listed should really be FCS not G5.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Cleveland State and Dayton are also D-1(although Cleveland State puts money into their bkb program since they don't have a football program.)
    And NY has more than 3 that play football alone.

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Only one of those is a "Big Time" program, however.

South Carolina, with 1/3 of Ohio's population, has 2 P5 programs (South Carolina and Clemson), 7 FBS programs (Wofford, Furman, PC, CCU, CSU, SC State and The Citadel) and 3 I-AAA programs (Winthrop, College of Charleston, and USC-Upstate).

North Carolina has 4 P5 programs (Duke and Wake really shouldn't count, though), 2 G5 programs (ECU and ASU), and 6 FCS (Elon, WCU, NC A&T, NCCU, Campbell and mighty Davidson) and one College of Faith.

The take-home point is that in most areas, non P5 programs are of regional interests at best, and often only appeal to alumni and friends of the schools. The problem with Ohio is that a lot of the schools listed should really be FCS not G5.
    You missed UNCC in the G5 listing for NC. Maybe for the best.

First Class FCS Ruler BluBengal07's Avatar

dropping might be best for Akon overall.
    I am not entertained by your claim of knowledge

First Class FCS Ruler

First of all. The MVFC (especially NDSU) fans need to get a grip on reality. Those two things below your pe*** are not egos. Your conference would be nothing if it was not for YSU. You brought in a team that had just been in 4 of the last 5 national championship games ...winning 3 of those. They gave your conference credibility. Prior to YSU admission, the GFC never saw an at-large bid. YSU then proceeded to play in the national championship again in 1997 and 1999; that is twice in their first 4-years in the conference. So just who do you think you are kidding? That is old new, so I guess more of an education for the younger folks on the board.

-More education. There are 14 DI schools in the state of Ohio, only 2 of them are I-AA, the rest are IA.

-YSU fans do not like the MVFC, never have. The reason YSU fans do not like the MVFC has nothing to do with UNI or any specific teams in the conference ...it is because they feel like the university "settled". All of YSU's close rivals went to the MAC or IA independent. This includes Akron. In 1994, the MAC made an offer to YSU, as they half-heartedly always did; only that time they sent over an agreement to back it up. The agreement had a 30-day no-fault resignation clause (so YSU or the MAC could back out at and time up to 30-days) and when Marshall did not get their CUSA bid, they accepted the MAC offer and YSU's consideration for membership was dropped on day-30 of that agreement. This is how it went down, I was in the Athletic office with the members of the committee when it happened. Simply put, the MAC wanted Marshall, but Marshall wanted CUSA. The GFC wanted YSU, but YSU wanted the MAC. CUSA rejected Marshall and the MAC rejected YSU ...so both "settled".

-Akron and Kent State both have trophy games with YSU, the schools are all well within an hour of each other. Then when the MAC teams began to diminish in stature, the conference passed a rule that no team can play a lower-division team "on-the-road". Well this was a direct stab at YSU, who had shared home games for decades with MAC schools. How would you like it if you could no longer play your chief rivals at home?

Yes every red-blooded Penguin fan wants to play Akron every year (but every other year at home) Yes, YSU fans want to play all of the close schools ...Akron, Kent State, Bowling Green, Toledo, Pitt, Penn State, Ohio State, Marshall, West Virgina. These schools are all a few hours, or less, from Youngstown.

As the crow flies ...YSU fans can make it to over half of the CAA conference schools before it gets to their closest MVFC school. YSU simply has no rivals in the MVFC & yes you are right, they probably do not want any. Now if YSU were in the MVC, then things might be a little different.

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by I-AA Fan View Post
    First of all. The MVFC (especially NDSU) fans need to get a grip on reality. Those two things below your pe*** are not egos. Your conference would be nothing if it was not for YSU. You brought in a team that had just been in 4 of the last 5 national championship games ...winning 3 of those. They gave your conference credibility. Prior to YSU admission, the GFC never saw an at-large bid.
    Completely and utterly false....100000000% false.

Also, YSU got to those games with Cheater Vest. Since his cheating left YSU has been nothing except a 4-4, at best, MVFC/GFC team.

You lost 100% of your credibility right there and I stopped reading.

YSU fans are the ones that need a grip on reality.

AGS Governor-General of South Canada NoDak 4 Ever's Avatar
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    Completely and utterly false....100000000% false.

Also, YSU got to those games with Cheater Vest. Since his cheating left YSU has been nothing except a 4-4, at best, MVFC/GFC team.

You lost 100% of your credibility right there and I stopped reading.

YSU fans are the ones that need a grip on reality.
    YSU is like that girl you knew in high school who was totally hot but got super fat by the 10 year reunion and has 2 kids by different dads.
    The reason Ursus says "probably"

First Class FCS Ruler

LOL ...been there done that. Put up or shut up. Take a look at your own back yard, before you guess what is in another neighbors garage. UNI was the hopeful destination of every piece-of-trash IA reject in the US for many years. Tressels's offenses at YSU were non-existent and those at OSU were very close to the same. Friend, it takes very little skill to win a game of cards when jokers and all face cards are wild ...so before you make such a statement, let's see your evidence.YSU fans are well-aware of their record since he left & it has less to do with he leaving than it does the assistant coaches that left (4 of which went on to head nationally-recognized FBS programs) and the fact that he also took most of the YSU administration's pool of quality assistants to choose from. Also YSU was not in a conference prior to joining the GFC ...so they did not have to worry about playing conference games every year, Heacock and Wolford just never turned the corner. these are facts .. what you said is "hog-wash".

BTW, a visit to Fargo (by the NCAA) would find a team that is far from perfection, so be careful before you speak. Same goes for Marshall, Montana, Boise State, eastern Washington and many other good (or formerly good) FCS programs (non more so than UNI). If Bohl was as great as you think he was ...then he could have done better than Wyoming. Kind of reminds me of Urban Meyer's mysterious health issue that forced him to leave Florida (doctor's orders) because the stress of coaching was just too much. Yet he goes to one of the two most stressful FBS programs in the nation (OSU). BTW did you ever wonder what happened to that medical issue?

ps: maybe if you had not "stopped reading" you might not be so ignorant. I (more-so my father) has known Jim Tressel for a number of years. You will NEVER meet a more honest caring and "plain old Christian" man. I am not here to debate his offense at OSU because I really could care less. I read the emails & they said nothing more than everyone already knew. I do not follow FBS ball, I follow FCS ball & have does so since 1982.