Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Richmond Seriously Considering Leaving CAA?

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Re: Richmond Seriously Considering Leaving CAA?

CAA will survive

mighty Not so bearish Bryant is in

Delaware State is like the Avon lady outside the door ringing the bell

UMES holding tryouts ….. Just kidding

Nova might drop football for all we know as the basketball school doesn’t want to be associated with the conference going forward

My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    If FUBeAR told you 18 months ago that Cal, Stanford, and SMU would be ACC Teams, FUBeAR bets you would have confidently proclaimed, “They wouldn’t.”

Anyone pretending they have any certainty regarding any future structure of any aspect of collegiate athletics in today’s environment is simply egoistically delusional or just a troll…or, possibly, both.
    Wrong.

This was an interesting read. I suspect Richmond put this out here as a way to flex some muscle amongst the other member presidents. CAA Football does not want to lose Richmond. Losing Richmond would likely mean Villanova is going to follow.

And something to consider is the future relegation of the current FCS structure to "3rd-Tier".

Personally, If we can't be in a conference with Richmond and Villanova, I'd much rather see my school back in the MEAC (With Morehouse, Clark Atlanta, Hampton, and Tuskegee) or the SoCon.

My Team
    Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
    This was an interesting read. I suspect Richmond put this out here as a way to flex some muscle amongst the other member presidents. CAA Football does not want to lose Richmond. Losing Richmond would likely mean Villanova is going to follow.

And something to consider is the future relegation of the current FCS structure to "3rd-Tier".

Personally, If we can't be in a conference with Richmond and Villanova, I'd much rather see my school back in the MEAC (With Morehouse, Clark Atlanta, Hampton, and Tuskegee) or the SoCon.
    I know that there is some type of loose affiliation with A&T, UNCG, Greensboro College, and maybe Bennett, where students can take classes at the other schools (my sister took two of her social work classes at A&T while attending UNCG)... So maybe in the same vein, y'all could loan the football team to UNCG's Athletic Department. HA.
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!

Major FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Holy Cross

Can see the possible mutual attraction of ‘football only’ for Patriot League - Villanova. Lots of natural rivalries and application overlaps there (HC, Fordham, Georgetown).

Not so clear regarding Richmond - PL. ‘Football Only’ would be without natural rivals or application overlaps. Although the idea of being amongst academic (if unfamiliar) peers might be attractive to Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffan View Post
    Can see the possible mutual attraction of ‘football only’ for Patriot League - Villanova. Lots of natural rivalries and application overlaps there (HC, Fordham, Georgetown).
    Villanova has played Holy Cross twice since, what, 1980? It hasn't scheduled Georgetown since 1950.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

The speculation isnÂ’t being received very well by the posters on URs football board, a sample comment below.

“A move to the PL would be the white flag of surrender for this program. Might as well go to the ODAC.”

IÂ’m not sure if Villanova would feel same as they obviously have a much closer geographic fit to the PL. though both UR and Villanova used to fall back on wanting to compete at the highest level available in football, I.e. the CAA. While overall still top tier in the area, itÂ’s not as substantial as it once was so you can see the possibility of shifts.

Major FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Holy Cross

Not so clear regarding Richmond - PL. ‘Football Only’ would be without natural football rivals or application overlaps. Although the idea of being amongst academic (if unfamiliar) peers might be attractive to Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Villanova has played Holy Cross twice since, what, 1980? It hasn't scheduled Georgetown since 1950.
    Exactly. Catholic schools, academically oriented, general geographic proximity = natural rivals. No suggestion they are current football rivals…how could they be?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolffan View Post
    Exactly. Catholic schools, academically oriented, general geographic proximity = natural rivals. No suggestion they are current football rivals…how could they be?
    Proximity is relative. It's 300 miles from Philadelphia to Worcester. Still, and this was a question I asked elsewhere, is...why?

If a school could win a national title in the CAA, regularly make the playoffs, and could recruit whomever they wanted without the Ivy League Index, why trade that all in for the increasingly unnecessary rules and restrictions of a one or two bid (on a good day) the Patriot League? Would Villanova trade home games with the likes of New Hampshire for Bucknell?
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Major FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Proximity is relative. It's 300 miles from Philadelphia to Worcester. Still, and this was a question I asked elsewhere, is...why?

If a school could win a national title in the CAA, regularly make the playoffs, and could recruit whomever they wanted without the Ivy League Index, why trade that all in for the increasingly unnecessary rules and restrictions of a one or two bid (on a good day) the Patriot League? Would Villanova trade home games with the likes of New Hampshire for Bucknell?
    You might ask if Nova would trade home games Campbell, Hampton, or NC A&T for home games with Bucknell (not to mention HC, GU, Colgate, Fordham, Lafayette or Lehigh). 🤔

Beyond that, I’m sure there would be some adjustments to some of the oddball PL rules to land a school like Villanova.

Your point that PL is still a step (or two) down in football quality is correct. Even with the recent departure of JMU and DEL and the arrival of (much) weaker football programs. FWIW.
    Last edited by Wolffan; May 10th, 2024 at 01:33 PM.