Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990

Thread: The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

First Class FCS Ruler Puddin Tane's Avatar
    My Team
    Lamar

Re: The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese75 View Post
    Current coaching staff is under the gun. If these decisions don't work out well to quote a famous shark hunting captain "Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain..."
    i really enjoyed McNeese’s football season last year!

First Class FCS Ruler Puddin Tane's Avatar
    My Team
    Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by lionsrking2 View Post
    It took almost 11 hours to get from Hammond to San Antonio in 2021. It doesn't always take that long but rarely is there never construction at some point along the way on I-10. The same distance driving anywhere towards Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and Florida will take 7 to 7 1/2 hours, 8 hours tops. It's a coin flip whether you can get across the Mississippi River Bridge in Baton Rouge or across the Atchafalaya basin without something slowing you down. Getting through Houston is a coin flip as well.
    we go to Lafayette quite a bit. interstate from the border to Lake Chuck is often a parking lot. And bumper car Beaumont needs a loop, but theres nowhere to build one.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Tane View Post
    we go to Lafayette quite a bit. interstate from the border to Lake Chuck is often a parking lot. And bumper car Beaumont needs a loop, but theres nowhere to build one.
    That's what folks don't realize when we complain about travel in the Southland. What looks easy or manageable on paper can be brutal more often than not. We played Southern Illinois in Carbondale during the Covid season and that drive was way easier than getting to San Antonio which is about the same distance. Anything to our north and east is usually pretty easy with minimal traffic. Just getting west across I-10 through Baton Rouge to Lake Charles can be a chore. Not always but it's a 50/50 crap shoot. Then through Beaumont to Houston and anything beyond is dreadful. The league was just fine when SFA, Sam and UCA were on board, and before UIW and ACU. I really don't mind Commerce but UTRGV is a bridge too far as far as I'm concerned.

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Tane View Post
    i really enjoyed McNeese’s football season last year!
    I'm in favor of sending Lamar back to the WAC. Pluck those birds! Cardinal gumbo!

Geaux Pokes!

My Team
    Stephen F. Austin

SFA hires West Texas A&M AD Michael McBroom as new AD.

Lots of rumors that SFA is headed back to the SLC, will see what McBroom has to say about it.

Maybe ACU follows SFA.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/4/25/...r-of-athletics
    CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS - 1935 1985 1989 1999 2009 2010 2022
    FCS PLAYOFFS - 1988 1989 1993 1995 2009 2010 2021
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME - 1989
    WALTER PAYTON AWARD - 2010
    SLC/WAC COMMISSIONER'S CUP - 2009 2010 2011 2012 2015 2016 2017 2020 2021
    104 OVERALL CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

AXE'EM JACKS!

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

As posted on another thread, The WAC has lost two teams to the WCC. The WAC is now down to 8 schools, five of those with football programs - and of those five, two are in Utah and three are in Texas.

If the WAC hangs on, those football schools would need to continue its association with the ASun in the United league. But as far as basketball, would be losing a couple of its best teams.

Even before this happening, there have been rumors that SFA would return to the SLC (with some of their fans being dragged screaming and kicking all the way back.) If so, there is a possibility ACU and Tarleton would tag along. However, these three Texas schools could possibly join the Summit or OVC, but that would still entail a lot of travel.

Whatever happens should happen soon, and it will be interesting to see how this will affect the SLC.