Thread: An Update on Lafayette's President, Dan Weiss

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion Bogus Megapardus's Avatar
    My Team
    Lafayette College

Re: An Update on Lafayette's President, Dan Weiss

I have probably been easier on Dr. Weiss than most mostly because he supports our teams by showing up and enthusiastically cheering the players. Not only football of course, but lacrosse, basketball, field hockey, baseball, etc. Dr. Weiss is an athlete himself (an avid runner and marathoner) and he has never uttered a negative sentence about sports at Lafayette (compare the presidents at Hofstra and Boston University).

Weiss did, of course, publicly derail the football scholarship vote in December. Many of us expressed our outrage. Given time, who knows? It might turn out that his lone position kept the Patriot League intact. We don't know all the machinations that were going on behind the scenes or how much (or little) the the influence of our Ivy friends came to bear. If it means two years to come to come up with a concrete consensus plan that will leave our ancient Ivy rivalries in place (which I, for one, am not prepared to abandon) plus the ability to renew our members' many old-school FBS rivalries (Syracuse, UConn, Navy, Rutgers, Temple, Army, Boston College, Duke) I think it's worth the wait.

Remember, there is nothing whatsoever that prevents Patriot schools from gearing up to 57 equivalencies under the current need-based grant system. And let's remember that it was under Dr. Weiss' stewardship that Lafayette began to offer its first Division I scholarships in any sport (Lafayette now offers Basketball, Field Hockey and Soccer scholarships).
    Last edited by Bogus Megapardus; January 28th, 2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typos, as usual.