Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My bracket guess

McNeese_beat

My bracket guess

I hate to call them picks (hence the word "guess"), because that would assume me knowing what the hell I'm talking about. But there's enough regionalization that seems to make sense where I think the brackets sort of fall into place in some respects:

Alright, here I go.

1. Northern Iowa vs. James Madison
    Delaware vs. Delaware State
    4. Appalachian State vs. Eastern Kentucky
    UMass vs. Fordham
    2. McNeese State (I waiver on this one) vs. Eastern Washington
    Richmond vs. Georgia Southern
    3. Montana vs. Wofford
    Southern Illinois vs. Eastern Illinois

Home teams listed first

I'm assuming a Georgia Southern win, otherwise the last spot will go to one of three: Norfolk State, Alabama A&M or Colgate. Any of the three could end up at Richmond.

I matched up App. State and UMass on the same bracket because they appear to be the teams vying for the fourth and fifth seed. The Michigan win gives App State the edge. Both would be sharing conference titles and have similar records, so it comes down to that quality (extra quality!) out of conference win. I figured SIU would be the sixth team in, so I bracketed them with Montana, Richmond would be No. 7, Delaware No. 8.

My brackets load up with bus trips: EIU at SIU, Fordham at UMass, EKU at App. State (borderline), Delaware State at Delaware, GSU at Richmond (borderline). Five bus trips and three plane trips in the first round.

First Class FCS Ruler griz_fan_in_SanDiego's Avatar

Re: My bracket guess

Seems plausible but what are the odds they'll send Wofford all the way to Montana?

Don't think they would send JMU to Iowa either

If we get GSU or Norfolk St, I don't see us getting a home game (unless NSU completely messes up the bid). I think our likely opponents are Wofford (location TBD), ASU there, or if Colgate get in we may host them or Fordham.
    URMite Infestation - Richmond teams making pests of themselves in postseason tournaments everywhere. Is yours next?

McNeese_beat

Quote Originally Posted by griz_fan_in_SanDiego View Post
    Seems plausible but what are the odds they'll send Wofford all the way to Montana?
    (This addresses a few posts, not just yours)

Somebody from the east coast is going to have to get on a plane, probably two teams. But there's no sense creating two plane trips where there can be one. There's no sense flying EIU (for example) to Missoula, then flying an east coast team to Carbondale. The key is looking at your bus trips first, then go from there.

Wofford and GSU are interchangable, imo. Perhaps Wofford should stay closer to home as the winner of the autobid and GSU should go back west. Or Norfolk.

McNeese_beat

Quote Originally Posted by URMite View Post
    If we get GSU or Norfolk St, I don't see us getting a home game (unless NSU completely messes up the bid). I think our likely opponents are Wofford (location TBD), ASU there, or if Colgate get in we may host them or Fordham.
    Picture this: GSU is at Montana (or whoever gets GSU's spot) and you match up with Wofford in McNeese's bracket...

McNeese_beat

Quote Originally Posted by dukesfan74 View Post
    Don't think they would send JMU to Iowa either
    My thinking is JMU will be the last team in out of the Colonial, so it would be flying to a seed in the first round...

Quote Originally Posted by griz_fan_in_SanDiego View Post
    No offense but Missoula is far away from ANY other playoff except EWU.

Master FCS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese_beat View Post
    I hate to call them picks (hence the word "guess"), because that would assume me knowing what the hell I'm talking about. But there's enough regionalization that seems to make sense where I think the brackets sort of fall into place in some respects:

Alright, here I go.

1. Northern Iowa vs. James Madison
    Delaware vs. Delaware State
    4. Appalachian State vs. Eastern Kentucky
    UMass vs. Fordham
    2. McNeese State (I waiver on this one) vs. Eastern Washington
    Richmond vs. Georgia Southern
    3. Montana vs. Wofford
    Southern Illinois vs. Eastern Illinois

Home teams listed first

I'm assuming a Georgia Southern win, otherwise the last spot will go to one of three: Norfolk State, Alabama A&M or Colgate. Any of the three could end up at Richmond.

I matched up App. State and UMass on the same bracket because they appear to be the teams vying for the fourth and fifth seed. The Michigan win gives App State the edge. Both would be sharing conference titles and have similar records, so it comes down to that quality (extra quality!) out of conference win. I figured SIU would be the sixth team in, so I bracketed them with Montana, Richmond would be No. 7, Delaware No. 8.

My brackets load up with bus trips: EIU at SIU, Fordham at UMass, EKU at App. State (borderline), Delaware State at Delaware, GSU at Richmond (borderline). Five bus trips and three plane trips in the first round.
    I do expect that the Playoff Selection Committee will set up 5 bus trips. However, GSU and Richmond are over the 350 mile limit and thus, would require airfare. EKU and Boone are within the 350 mile limit.

If Alabama A&M makes the playoff field, expect them to play at SIU because SIU is the only playoff team within 350 miles of A&M.

Norfolk State would likely play at Richmond if NSU makes the field. If Colgate makes it instead, then I expect Colgate to have a rematch with UMass while Fordham travels to Richmond.

GSU would be an airfare game if they make the field. No non-conference school is within 350 miles of Statesboro. I would not be surprised to see GSU travel to McNeese if GSU beats CSU this weekend. Anyway, many possibilities exist so I'll wait for Saturday's results before getting too carried away.

First Class FCS Ruler griz_fan_in_SanDiego's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharkeycox View Post
    No offense but Missoula is far away from ANY other playoff except EWU.
    true Missoula is far away from EVERYTHING try driving there from San Diego it's hell