Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous/infamous plays in your team's history?

Famous/infamous plays in your team's history?

Just a few that would probably make the list of most GSU fans...

"The catch" This play capped a big 38 point rally in the last 23 minutes or so in game time that gave GSU the win over Furman in the 1985 national championship.

"The Run" probably the second most famous play in CS history. From the 1999 national championship with YSU. Wow:eek:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVLoFWZA7s

"Son of the Run" In the 2000 championship Montana came from 17 points behind to go ahead in the second half and when it looked like the GSU offense was out of steam and was pretty much figured out by the Griz, Adrian Peterson comes up with a 57 yard touchdown which gave us the lead and turned out to be the winning touchdown.

In the 2002 semi-finals GSU's Jermaine Austin made a 32 yard touchdown run late in the 4th quarter which capped a 17-point 4th quarter comeback. We lost the game against Western Kentucky who managed to squeak one more touchdown in but I don't think any eagle fan will forget the feeling they had after JA made that touchdown.

Most infamous:

The most infamous would probably be the fumble that occured deep in Furman territory that arguably cost us the 1988 national championship.
    Six National Championships. All won via a playoff in the second highest level of football.

"The Miracle on the Mountain" - Furman 2pt conversion attempt returned for ASU score in '02 to clinch the win.

Jason Hunter's fumble return that got us the '05 National Championship.

Ingle Martin slipping on his way into a wide open endzone at KBS in '05, helping us get to Chatty.
    "Appalachian is not your typical Football Championship Series team. They could be whatever they want to be. They think it is fun to let the other team have twenty more scholarships and see if they can beat them. Sounds reasonable since most schools need the advantage." - Pigskin Steve.

"Miracle on the Mountain" for us
    Check it out on Youtube
    -AP

The Pitch

The Pitch - There is a link on Bisonville.com

My Team
    UC Davis

UC Davis Miracle Game vs. Cal State Hayward

Here's a real miracle...

November 6, 1971: With 44 seconds left in the fourth, UC Davis starts the first of two scoring drives to overcome a 29-14 deficit against Cal State Hayward. After closing the gap to 29-22 on a successful TD and two-point conversion, the Aggies recover a Hayward on-side kick attempt with only 15 seconds remaining. UCD’s Mike Bellotti, now head coach at Oregon, scores on the final play from scrimmage to make the score 29-28. QB Bob Biggs completes to Mike Everly, who dives for a successful two-point conversion to give UC-Davis the 30-29 verdict in “The Miracle Minute” game.

Ole' Bellotti coulda used one of those last night agianst BYU. Ugly Ducklings in Vegas.

As for infamous -- One Word -- Bloomsburg. : smh :
    AGGIE PRIDE

Maybe not famous to anybody but me (I guess it's not really famous, then), but when Alex Wood was the coach here (I think it was against Richmond) we were kicking off to start the second half.

As the kicker approached the ball, he fell down. As the UR players stood upright (and tried to keep from laughing) somebody on the kick line ran up, punched the ball 10 yards and recovered the kick. It was all planned!! It was great!!

Almost nobody in the stands saw what happened because our heads were in our hands in embarrassment.

BTW, in true Alex Wood style, the third string QB was put in and promptly threw an interception. But it was still one of the most memorable JMU plays I can think of.

EDIT: If anybody could find a video of this I'd love to see it.

Major FCS Advocate
    Armanti Edwards taking his first snap as a starter against Mars Hill.:nod:
    ASU Football, 2005/2006/2007 National Champs

no link.....but back in 95 or 96....Jeff Stovall RB for UNI was up for an ESPY for a catch he made coming out of the back field......pretty sweet.....he tipped it with one hand....and the ball rolled across his shoulders, behind his head.....and caught with his other hand!

Just a routine play!!!!!!

Another one I rember was back in 97....playing McNeese St.....they got Cecil "the diesel" Collins from LSU....and his first I-AA carry against UNI....was speered by our FS and knocked his helmet clean off. I'm sure the trash from our FS was....."Welcome to I-AA"!!!!!!
    DTI vs. EH

hoisting the trophies...
    "IMO, If your team doesn't play in a real conference, against REAL competition, for a REAL championship it's just a hobby for your players."--McTailGator 11/2007
    "GO YOSEF!"--citdog 12/1/2007
    "I'm an Appy fan. "--Baldy 06/2007

Quote Originally Posted by BigApp
    hoisting the trophies...
    nah, the streaker.
    "Appalachian is not your typical Football Championship Series team. They could be whatever they want to be. They think it is fun to let the other team have twenty more scholarships and see if they can beat them. Sounds reasonable since most schools need the advantage." - Pigskin Steve.