Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NIL question

First Class FCS Ruler

NIL question

What's up ya'll- although we all know NIL has become "pay to play" in theory an athlete is only supposed to get money or goods/services in exchange for promotion correct? so If NIL collectives are separate from the team (like not a HC offering) how does this work? It was just reported that Monmouth star WR from last yr got $200,000 NIL money to transfer to Rutgers. My question is this- Don't you have to actually use your "name , image, likeness" to get that money? So while I am fully for a real company like Nike wanting to pay millions to a legit star for marketing, we know that no real company is paying 200-500k for some FCS good player to advertise their restaurant or car dealership. So is there a check/balance for if the athlete actually ever does anything for the money and where it really came from?? I have no issue with some lacrosse star running a camp in the summer and making 50k or a football player at Nova getting 25k to be in a commercial or someone getting 50% of their own jersey sales, but clearly much of what is going on is not this.. anyone have a real clue?

Re: NIL question

Quote Originally Posted by MUHAWKS View Post
    What's up ya'll- although we all know NIL has become "pay to play" in theory an athlete is only supposed to get money or goods/services in exchange for promotion correct? so If NIL collectives are separate from the team (like not a HC offering) how does this work? It was just reported that Monmouth star WR from last yr got $200,000 NIL money to transfer to Rutgers. My question is this- Don't you have to actually use your "name , image, likeness" to get that money? So while I am fully for a real company like Nike wanting to pay millions to a legit star for marketing, we know that no real company is paying 200-500k for some FCS good player to advertise their restaurant or car dealership. So is there a check/balance for if the athlete actually ever does anything for the money and where it really came from?? I have no issue with some lacrosse star running a camp in the summer and making 50k or a football player at Nova getting 25k to be in a commercial or someone getting 50% of their own jersey sales, but clearly much of what is going on is not this.. anyone have a real clue?
    There are no enforceable rules anymore: Pay who you want, however much you can, however you need to do it. Pro College football is here to stay, unfortunately.

First Class FCS Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by lionsrking2 View Post
    There are no enforceable rules anymore: Pay who you want, however much you can, however you need to do it. Pro College football is here to stay, unfortunately.

seems so-- garbage-

We just started our NIL Collective and I am donating to it on a monthly basis.

prideofat.com

AGS FCS Champion

How NDSU's collective works, as far as I understand it, is when players "sign" with the collective they have to fulfill obligations such as making appearances for fans, helping non-profits, or other charitable work. I wouldn't doubt if that is how it works in theory but not in practice but NDSU's collective is also (supposed to be) just a retention tool not a recruiting tool - at least not as in a coach or collective agent isn't able to say "you'll get $XXX from the collective to come here" but I'm sure the coaches make it known that there is a collective so there's chances to dip into that if a player sticks around and is a solid contributor to the team.

In general it seems collectives are very intentionally vague in terms of how money and how much money goes to individual players because that information will be used to recruit against them (same reason why employers don't broadcast employee salaries). Such as "I see you're getting $XXX from their collective... we'll give you $YYY to come here" type thing - I wouldn't doubt if it's also so other players in the collective don't get pissy when they see what everyone else is getting.

Having a big collective isn't the end-all-be-all though. Texas A&M is hemorrhaging players, and significant contributors, to the portal and you may recall as recently as a year ago Nick Saban accusing A&M and then coach Jimbo Fisher of buying their recruiting class so they had/have a monster collective. If you recruit a player with NIL money it seems those players are more likely to see "greener" grass elsewhere down the road than players who didn't come to your school primarily for the $$$.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    How NDSU's collective works, as far as I understand it, is when players "sign" with the collective they have to fulfill obligations such as making appearances for fans, helping non-profits, or other charitable work. I wouldn't doubt if that is how it works in theory but not in practice but NDSU's collective is also (supposed to be) just a retention tool not a recruiting tool - at least not as in a coach or collective agent isn't able to say "you'll get $XXX from the collective to come here" but I'm sure the coaches make it known that there is a collective so there's chances to dip into that if a player sticks around and is a solid contributor to the team.

In general it seems collectives are very intentionally vague in terms of how money and how much money goes to individual players because that information will be used to recruit against them (same reason why employers don't broadcast employee salaries). Such as "I see you're getting $XXX from their collective... we'll give you $YYY to come here" type thing - I wouldn't doubt if it's also so other players in the collective don't get pissy when they see what everyone else is getting.

Having a big collective isn't the end-all-be-all though. Texas A&M is hemorrhaging players, and significant contributors, to the portal and you may recall as recently as a year ago Nick Saban accusing A&M and then coach Jimbo Fisher of buying their recruiting class so they had/have a monster collective. If you recruit a player with NIL money it seems those players are more likely to see "greener" grass elsewhere down the road than players who didn't come to your school primarily for the $$$.
    NDSU is doing it the simple way. There is no negotiation. Its all based on performance. You will not get a check for coming. You play x-amount of snaps you get y. You play more snaps you get -z. If a players determination on coming to NDSU is $ then he isnt what we are looking for.
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

AGS FCS Champion

Collectives function in a variety of ways. The Tribe collective, the 1693 Alliance LLC negotiates deals with players in exchange for their service to community-based charities. Virginia has a new NIL law which may affect this as schools are now able to pay NIL money directly to players for promotion of athletic department events. Va Tech and UVA will be all over this but smaller schools like us may find it cheaper and more efficient to continue using external collectives. The 1693 Alliance has no employees and everyone involved in operations works as a volunteer. Overhead is held to less than 5%. We contract for website management which will launch very soon.
    Go Tribe!

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    NDSU is doing it the simple way. There is no negotiation. Its all based on performance. You will not get a check for coming. You play x-amount of snaps you get y. You play more snaps you get -z. If a players determination on coming to NDSU is $ then he isnt what we are looking for.
    Not familiar with North Dakota NIL laws but in general I don't believe "pay for performance" is yet allowed.
    Go Tribe!

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe4SF View Post
    Not familiar with North Dakota NIL laws but in general I don't believe "pay for performance" is yet allowed.
    Didn't Alston give private orgs the ability to pay players any way they want?
    Go Bison - Class of 05

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by MUHAWKS View Post
    At it's most basic all that really needs to be required is a deal that says "Player X gets Y dollars for doing Z number of apperances at a public event/space/time". That's it.

That's why there is starting to be so many donors/boosters getting upset at the portal right now, which they didn't hate before. So many kids are signing with an NIL, doing bare minimum to collect the checks, get the checks, and instantly hit the portal when that last one cleared.

There are super connected/informed national talking heads stating they know of some massive names that will hit the portal the second that last check hits their account. They'll do the same thing at the next place. It is literally just kids hopping school to school for money at this point. Nothing to do with PT. Nothing to do with winning. It is what NIL deal gets me the most for the least, and where can I go after that.

There are so many examples I can think of, however, I'm in Iowa so this is the easiest one to pull from

Kayden Proctor was a true freshman OL last year that started every game for Alabama. He is from Iowa. He was committed to Iowa until Bama came with an absolute bag to flip him late in the process. During last season Iowa coaches were texting him trying to get him to the portal - he admitted this on national TV. After the season he hit the portal and signed with Iowa. Sounds like home state kid coming home to a program known for throwing OL to the NFL like it's nothing. He showed up in January. He signed a massive NIL deal. He sent 3 tweets connected to his NIL and instantly hit the portal again before spring practice even started. He's heading back to Bama who gave him another bag.

That's all it is at this point. It is the lowest possible bar for what "NIL" actually is.

The only funny/joke side of it is even though Proctor (or anyone that transfers) is gone the Iowa NIL collective still owns his NIL until the end date of that contract. They can still use him, if they so choose, in ads. They won't, but they theoretically could and the players get zero more dollars from it