Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: An increase in the number of seeds in the FCS playoffs?

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Re: An increase in the number of seeds in the FCS playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    Then we need to remove the autobid from basketball.

Sorry, YSU. I know you're having a good year and have a 99% chance of taking the autobid from the Horizon this year but guess what? In the big picture of NCAA basketball, you, and your league, ****ing suck ****.

You no longer get to participate or get NCAA tournament TV shares.

Doesn't matter if you want to be involved and you are an NCAA team winning and NCAA league to get to the NCAA tournament.

You suck compared to most every other NCAA team so you don't get to go anymore.
    Ok nerd.. comparing apples to oranges YSUDS... They have Oakland penciled in for that slot..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ysubigred; March 1st, 2024 at 02:45 PM.
    If stupidity was an illness liberals and dimocraps would be dead by now

My Team
    Montana State

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Umm. Yes. Not sure why we need to revisit this over, and over, and over again. I get the argument, but we could also say, if a team couldn't even win their conference, they already proved they don't deserve a spot. They aren't the best. Win your damn conference or stay home. Now, I realize that is a bit overboard, but no more than saying a conf champ doesn't deserve a spot. We have too many teams as it is. I'd always vote to limit it to 16. No Thanksgiving weekend games, seed all teams, even though I don't like the entire concept of seeding. Not to mention the subjective aspect of it. And screw all travel considerations.
    It generally seems to be the same poster beating the dead horse regarding giving the conference champs an AQ. Everyone else has accepted it and moved on.

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by ysubigred View Post
    Ok nerd.. comparing apples to oranges YSUDS... They have Oakland penciled in for that slot..

No I'm not.

A NCAA sponsored event taking an automatic bid away from an NCAA sanctioned conference champion beacuse that champion isn't "good enough" is what you're advocating.

Fine. We then play that out for every sport, because there isn't an NCAA sanctioned team championship for that doesn't give every conference an automatic bid (outside of small/unique sports).

Thus all automatic bids for all NCAA tournaments go away

Horizon league now loses it's spot for the following NCAA championships

men's basketball
    women's basketball
    men's soccer
    women's soccer
    baseball
    softball
    volleyball

A Horizon team will never play in any NCAA post season sponsored event in your dream world, all beacuse you don't like the PFL or NEC having a bid to the FCS playoffs.

Also, showing you don't understand how "penciling in" works. Before conference tournaments, for one bid leagues, they just put the team in first place in the tournament as a placeholder at the seed where the conference would be.

As of today it is Okland because they have played one less game and thus have a half game lead on YSU, on a technicality.

If you look at any metric that looks at SOS, SOR, ELO, etc. YSU is the heavy favorite in the Horizon, and the tournament.

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    No I'm not.

A NCAA sponsored event taking an automatic bid away from an NCAA sanctioned conference champion beacuse that champion isn't "good enough" is what you're advocating.

Fine. We then play that out for every sport, because there isn't an NCAA sanctioned team championship for that doesn't give every conference an automatic bid (outside of small/unique sports).

Thus all automatic bids for all NCAA tournaments go away

Horizon league now loses it's spot for the following NCAA championships

men's basketball
    women's basketball
    men's soccer
    women's soccer
    baseball
    softball
    volleyball

A Horizon team will never play in any NCAA post season sponsored event in your dream world, all beacuse you don't like the PFL or NEC having a bid to the FCS playoffs.

Also, showing you don't understand how "penciling in" works. Before conference tournaments, for one bid leagues, they just put the team in first place in the tournament as a placeholder at the seed where the conference would be.

As of today it is Okland because they have played one less game and thus have a half game lead on YSU, on a technicality.

If you look at any metric that looks at SOS, SOR, ELO, etc. YSU is the heavy favorite in the Horizon, and the tournament.
    Good to know.. thanks

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by ysubigred View Post
    As bad as YSU was last year. We destroyed one of the champ/auto bid teams. It's just ridiculous to waste the time with these games..

There are a lot of teams that make the playoff field besides the autobids that don't deserve to get in. Look at some of the schools that get one of the last spots and then lose every year or win once every 10 years. It's time to make the playoffs for serious teams only.
    I'm a Democrat for life. trump made sure of that.

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    There are a lot of teams that make the playoff field besides the autobids that don't deserve to get in. Look at some of the schools that get one of the last spots and then lose every year or win once every 10 years. It's time to make the playoffs for serious teams only.
    I agree.

First of all, YSU wasn’t a bad team last year . They typically were better than 90% of FCS. However, playing in the MVFC they look average there. YSU making the playoffs usually results in an opening win or a run into deeper playoffs.

The reality is there are a number of teams who do get in that are not deserving by ability. But the current system is what we have. It’s not fair but it is what it is.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    First of all, YSU wasn’t a bad team last year . They typically were better than 90% of FCS. However, playing in the MVFC they look average there. YSU making the playoffs usually results in an opening win or a run into deeper playoffs.

The reality is there are a number of teams who do get in that are not deserving by ability. But the current system is what we have. It’s not fair but it is what it is.
    What's more fair - determining a playoff spot by a selection committee or determining it based purely on the results on the field with teams earning conference championships? Aren't some of you YSU fans the loudest critics of the "corrupt" selection committee??? You should be fans of autobids since they take power away from the selection committee.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    What's more fair - determining a playoff spot by a selection committee or determining it based purely on the results on the field with teams earning conference championships? Aren't some of you YSU fans the loudest critics of the "corrupt" selection committee??? You should be fans of autobids since they take power away from the selection committee.
    I just don't get how some people think sometimes when it comes to this. Why would anyone want to take away the one objective criteria that exists? One totally devoid of the committee politics of insider influence. Why? Probably because they have some other self-aggrandizing agenda.

Absolutely NOT!