Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SWAC and MEAC _ The Best of the Best!!!!

Thumbs up SWAC and MEAC _ The Best of the Best!!!!

I knew the title of this thread would get your attention. I ran across this website and decide to join up because I am a big fan of Division I-AA football. I am also a big fan of the SWAC and MEAC, two conferences that seem to get a lot of negative comments and no respect on this site. Some suggest the MEAC shouldn't even receive an automatic bid. But have you ever wondered why the SWAC and MEAC, two conferences that have produced great NFL talent can't win Division I-AA playoff games or decide against competing for the I-AA championship. If the answer is "No" and you slammed the two conferences :nonono2: :nono: that's a pity. And if you said it is all bad coaching :nonono2: :nono: again what a pity. The MEAC and SWAC haven't done well in the playoffs mostly because the conference can't effectively recruit offensive and defensive linemen. Linemen are harder to find than skill players and there is a segment of recruits the SWAC and MEAC can't draw. There are several receivers, running backs, and other skill players from the SWAC and MEAC that have been great college and NFL players, from Walter Payton to Jerry Rice. Quick, name more than two great linemen from the two conferences. Don't strain yourself because they are few and far between. So when the MEAC and SWAC faces playoff teams they are often superior at the skill positions but outmanned upfront. And upfront is where the game is won. As for the SWAC not participating in the playoffs. SWAC schools have been underfunded for years. Those classics some of you make fun of, the Bayou Classic, and the conference championship games help SWAC schools pay the bills. The classics often draw 40,000 to 60,000 fans. Going to the playoffs draws 8,000 and doesn't help pay the bills and SWAC schools don't have the money to give up that kind of payday because without that revenue other sports can't survive. But what the SWAC and the MEAC are the best of the best in is making do with the little they receive and doing what most Division I-AA conferences can only dream of -- filling a stadium and receiving television coverage. So does the MEAC and SWAC deserve respect, yes, because the conferences face obstacles others don't and have learned to make money and grow fan bases most D I-AA schools could only dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tiger
    I knew the title of this thread would get your attention. I ran across this website and decide to join up because I am a big fan of Division I-AA football. I am also a big fan of the SWAC and MEAC, two conferences that seem to get a lot of negative comments and no respect on this site. Some suggest the MEAC shouldn't even receive an automatic bid. But have you ever wondered why the SWAC and MEAC, two conferences that have produced great NFL talent can't win Division I-AA playoff games or decide against competing for the I-AA championship. If the answer is "No" and you slammed the two conferences :nonono2: :nono: that's a pity. And if you said it is all bad coaching :nonono2: :nono: again what a pity. The MEAC and SWAC haven't done well in the playoffs mostly because the conference can't effectively recruit offensive and defensive linemen. Linemen are harder to find than skill players and there is a segment of recruits the SWAC and MEAC can't draw. There are several receivers, running backs, and other skill players from the SWAC and MEAC that have been great college and NFL players, from Walter Payton to Jerry Rice. Quick, name more than two great linemen from the two conferences. Don't strain yourself because they are few and far between. So when the MEAC and SWAC faces playoff teams they are often superior at the skill positions but outmanned upfront. And upfront is where the game is won. As for the SWAC not participating in the playoffs. SWAC schools have been underfunded for years. Those classics some of you make fun of, the Bayou Classic, and the conference championship games help SWAC schools pay the bills. The classics often draw 40,000 to 60,000 fans. Going to the playoffs draws 8,000 and doesn't help pay the bills and SWAC schools don't have the money to give up that kind of payday because without that revenue other sports can't survive. But what the SWAC and the MEAC are the best of the best in is making do with the little they receive and doing what most Division I-AA conferences can only dream of -- filling a stadium and receiving television coverage. So does the MEAC and SWAC deserve respect, yes, because the conferences face obstacles others don't and have learned to make money and grow fan bases most D I-AA schools could only dream of.

Old.

:boring:

Master FCS Advocate
    It all depends on how you look at it. Last time I read on bobcatfans.com(couple of hours ago), we(Texas State) are only 700 tickets away from selling out our stadium for a game that will be televised on ESPN2. This is all thanks to the playoffs.

The playoffs are bringing in former students and alumni that haven't even been in San Marcos in at least a dozen years. The NCAA may take its cut, which is most of the revenue from this upcoming game, but they won't take any of the money made from donations and future season ticket sales.

How come SWAC and MEAC can't recruit D or O-linemen?

Welcome to AGS. Good post and something that I have never thought of. Thanks for the another view.

Quote Originally Posted by txstatebobcat
    It all depends on how you look at it. Last time I read on bobcatfans.com(couple of hours ago), we(Texas State) are only 700 tickets away from selling out our stadium for a game that will be televised on ESPN2. This is all thanks to the playoffs.

The playoffs are bringing in former students and alumni that haven't even been in San Marcos in at least a dozen years. The NCAA may take its cut, which is most of the revenue from this upcoming game, but they won't take any of the money made from donations and future season ticket sales.

How come SWAC and MEAC can't recruit D or O-linemen?

Well, it's quite simple. It is easier to find players that are 6-2, 217 pounds and can run, than it is to find a 6-3 320-pound kid that is strong and can move. Then you throw in the fact that SWAC and MEAC schools have a hard time recruiting white players and that cuts deeply into the pool of line talent. So traditional we end up with a bunch of fat high schoolers who aren't very fast off the ball and need a lot of work in the weight room. While other D I-AA schools can draw from the entire pool of line talent which is still thinner than the talent pool at the skill positions.

My Team
    Georgia Southen
    A lot of people say a lot of things & the squeeky wheel gets the oil or your attention. Although Ive been away from this board for a while I dont think most of the posters have a problem with the MEAC having an outo bid.

Classics- no problem again & wish GSU could get some of that CLASSIC MONEY. Most of the s**t slinging on the smack board is directed at the SWACers because the TURKEY DAY CLASSIC doesn't allow them in the playoffs. Down deep I dont have a problem with the SWAKers not partisipating but if youre going to make compairsons about how a SWAC team would fair in the !AA playoff system & dont show up your going to get trash talk. Most 1AA programs hurt for money. Many choose to get their ass kicked by a 1A power to pay the bills.

We've won with undersized linemen for.......... well since 1984. Youed have to pull the linemens weights of the top 20 1AA programs to prove that we all dont suffer from a lack of size. Ive seen some 1aa passing teams with heffers up front and they just weren't that good.

Well.....I think you might be recruiting O and D-linemen in the wrong areas.....there is no shortage of BIG Linemen in the Uppper Midwest......
    DTI vs. EH

Top FCS Advocate
    So how come the MEAC and the SWAC don't do well in basketball? Can't recruit good forwards?

:confused:

Let me clarify. My point is that saying you can't recruit linemen is misleading. It would probably be more accurate to say that I-AA HBCUs struggle in recruiting at every position, but the talent level is smaller on the lines, which is exposed when you play "other" schools.

So, the problem doesn't have to do with linemen, it has to do with recruiting. And that begs the question - why do HBCUs struggle in recruiting more than other I-AA schools? Well, the answer seems obvious to me - because in I-AA, the HBCUs are at the bottom of the pile.

So which came first, the chicken or the egg? Recruiting is a problem, but it's not THE problem. It's just part of it. Part of the circle.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy8
    So how come the MEAC and the SWAC don't do well in basketball? Can't recruit good forwards?
    The Meac and Swac has done well in basketball in the past. SU beat Georgia Tech in the Ncaa tournament in 1993. SU was ranked no 21 in the top 25 polls in 1991. Avery Johnson(SU 88) is currently the head coach of the Dallas Mavericks. The Meac has also done well in the Ncaa Tournament with Hampton, Coppin State winning games in the past. Southern University has also produced some of the best ametuer baseball talent over the last couple of years. From 2001-2003 SU had 24(more than any other college during that period) players get drafted. The crown jewel was Rickie Weeks, who won the Dick Howser award(baseball heisman), and every other baseball award that year. Before we speak please do some research.

Top FCS Advocate
    My research consisted of checking the final 2005 RPI ratings and finding the SWAC ranked 31 of 32 conferences and the MEAC ranked 28th. I'm not much of a basketball fan, so I assume it was just a bad year for you guys? :confused:

Either way, I'd rather you reply to my comments on football, which is what this thread/board is about.

EDIT: I went back and checked rankings back to 1999. The highest the MEAC was ranked was 27th and the highest the SWAC was ranked was 29th. And in 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2003, the SWAC and the MEAC were the two lowest rated conferences in the country.

:eyebrow:

Tell me, is there some kind of brainwashing you go through that renders you unable to accept that your conference isn't very good, or what? I deal in facts. Stats. Wins. Losses. When you can explain to me in those terms how good you are, I'd be happy to give your teams some love. Until then, this "people that criticize us are ignorant" attitude is ridiculous.