Also mentions making another run at North Texas, as well as Montana (coupled with Montana State, of course)...

As a SHSU fan, I've said it before, if two of our three main rivals (TXST, Lamar and SFA) go FBS - we're in a tough position. It really changes the dynamic of the Southland Conference... and as much as I wouldn't necessarily like it, it's what we would have to do.

While declining to name any football schools, Benson did say Seattle University, California State-Bakersfield and Utah Valley will be assessed as non-football members.

"We started the process today of evaluating a pool of potential candidates," he said. "That's all I can tell you. I don't think staying at eight (members) is one of our preferred options. Our preference is to get to 10, maybe even 12."

Multiple sources, one of which attended Friday's meeting, told the Express-News recently the list of football candidates includes, but is not necessarily limited to, Louisiana-Lafayette, Lamar, Sam Houston State, California-Davis, Portland State and Cal Poly.
Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/de...#ixzz1B6oNalFP