This past week I went 3-2, Chattanooga and Samford let me down big time. My season's end power rankings are as follows (bold indicates playoff teams):
1) Appalachian State (AQ) - should be thankful they won't be facing a Florida-like team in the playoffs.
2) Wofford (Qualified) - beatdown Chattanooga, did not see that one coming.
3) Georgia Southern (Qualified) - is now praying that they will fly into the playoffs
4) Elon (out) - sends off seniors on a winning note
5) Chattanooga (out) - playoff hopes DRT
6) Furman (out) - Bobby Lamb's coaching career @ Furman deserved a better ending.
7) Samford (out) - Will Blazrdog get his wish? We'll find out soon enough.
8) Western Carolina (out) - Did Wagner coach his last game? We'll find out soon enough.
9) The Citadel (out) - Could win vs. Samford be a sign of things looking up?
1) Appalachian State (9-2) - sixth consecutive conference title, consistently ranked in the top five, got embarrassed by Florida in the end.
Projection: 1/2 seed.
Likely second round opponent: winner of Coastal Carolina/Bethune-Cookman
2) Wofford (9-2) - Dramatic turnaround from last season, lost big time to ASU but crushed Chattanooga.
Projection: Second round (no seed). Likely opponent: Villanova
3) Georgia Southern (7-4) - Only SoCon team to beat ASU, took Navy to the limit.
Projection: First round. Likely opponent: Jacksonville
Likely second round opponent if they win: Stephen F. Austin