Thread: Richmond Names Starting Quarterback to Open Season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Richmond Names Starting Quarterback to Open Season

Congrats to Aaron Corp! Probably not a shock, but nice to see a decision has been made.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports...ack-ar-470948/

University of Richmond coach Latrell Scott announced Tuesday that Aaron Corp, who transferred to UR from the University of Southern California in January, will open this season as the Spiders’ starting quarterback.

The Spiders open Sept. 4 at the University of Virginia.

Corp, a 6-3, 200-pound junior, competed during spring drills and through summer camp with John Laub, a 6-2, 214-pound sophomore. Eric Ward was Richmond’s quarterback each of the last four seasons.

"It was a tremendous competition, with both Aaron and John Laub playing extremely well in preseason camp," Scott said in a school release.

Corp, from Villa Park, Calif., was slated to be USC’s starter last August, then suffered a leg injury. Freshman Matt Barkley stepped in to lead the Trojans, and Corp looked for a high-quality academic school at which he could play immediately.

He became the highest profile transfer ever to join UR’s football program, though Scott chose not to name a starter until both players had an extended opportunity to win the job.

"Right from the first time I was in Coach Scott’s office, he said there were no guarantees," Corp said.
    Last edited by seattlespider; August 24th, 2010 at 03:54 PM.

Re: Richmond Names Starting Quarterback to Open Season

Quote Originally Posted by seattlespider View Post
    Congrats to Aaron Corp! Probably not a shock, but nice to see a decision has been made.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports...ack-ar-470948/
    Any word if Laub will look to transfer? Tough break for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post
    Any word if Laub will look to transfer? Tough break for him.
    Nothing yet, as this just broke. Hopefully he stays; he could certainly get PT this year. According to ESPN950, Coach Scott will talk about things tomorrow.

Id hate to see Laub just walk away because if anything happens to Corp (God forbid considering what he went through last year) he is gonna need to be called upon to fill in
    2007 Big South Champs

Nice to see a decision made official. Word is that Laub performed just as well as Corp in camp, but if you're Coach Scott - you have to start the USC transfer QB - how could you not? But if Corp doesn't perform up to expectations, I wouldn't be surprised to see Laub get a shot this year. He's a year behind Corp class-wise, so could start as a senior (unless he gets passed by Montel White - FR on the depth chart in the next 2+ years).

Major FCS Advocate SpidersSportsEditor's Avatar

All I can say is it's about time. I think Coach Scott played this thing poorly. Corp was going to be the starter the whole time and covering that up with a bogus quarterback competition was a bad decision in my opinion. Would have rather seen him make a decision at the start of camp, get Corp all the reps with the first team and prove that he could make tough calls.

Did see Corp being photographed in uniform standing in front of the stadium by what I believe was a NY Times photographer yesterday, so this news was bound to come out today. I think he's the best choice, but I just hope he can win.

Very similar to the way the starter was named at the "Brown and White", can't always please everyone but the coaches have a gut feeling on whats best for the team. Personally, If the QB's are equal, go with the younger guy and build off of him. Will be there to watch the UVA game, good luck Spiders.

Frequent FCS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersSportsEditor View Post
    All I can say is it's about time. I think Coach Scott played this thing poorly. Corp was going to be the starter the whole time and covering that up with a bogus quarterback competition was a bad decision in my opinion. Would have rather seen him make a decision at the start of camp, get Corp all the reps with the first team and prove that he could make tough calls.

Did see Corp being photographed in uniform standing in front of the stadium by what I believe was a NY Times photographer yesterday, so this news was bound to come out today. I think he's the best choice, but I just hope he can win.
    GET READY====On October 9 in Durham, NH the Orange County, CA clash of the QB's will occur when the Orange Lutheran Lancer (Aaron Corp) takes the field for Richmond against the Mission Viejo Diablo (RJ Toman) for New Hampshire

Both kids come from great HS programs

First Class FCS Ruler ThompsonThe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seattlespider View Post
    Nothing yet, as this just broke. Hopefully he stays; he could certainly get PT this year. According to ESPN950, Coach Scott will talk about things tomorrow.
    When you are playing a hard hitting schedule like Richmond does, the back up QB gets playing time a lot of times whether they expect it or not.