View Poll Results: Who would be leading candidate for Lehigh?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Higgins--nearing an end at The Citadel?

8 29.63%
  • Gilmore--post-Dom shelves thin?

1 3.70%
  • Cecchini--former Lehigh star and mucho OC experience

7 25.93%
  • Donnelly--great track record as HC at D-III Muhlenberg

2 7.41%
  • Someone else--please send resume

9 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Candidates for Lehigh HC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    My Team
    Lehigh

Top Candidates for Lehigh HC

It appears the death watch has started in Bethlehem. Who will/can come in and right the ship? Who wants to? Need we go to an alum to save the program? Should it be someone with HC experience or another OC or DC? Would a prior come back? Should someone be elevated? Lots of Questions...
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

AGS FCS Champion Bogus Megapardus's Avatar
    My Team
    Lafayette College

Re: Top Candidates for Lehigh HC

How about the guy from Sioux Falls Univ. - the NAIA school that knocked off UND today. Did you see that guy's record?

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Donnelly

I said this way back in the spring, i can provide proof, that if Coen doesn't do well this year they should go after the Mules coach. I'm sticking to my guns.

He coaches at a good school, is a proven winnner and has recruiting roots in the region. Give the guy a shot.

I really think the right coach, and i'm sure there's a lot more than one that's capable, can come in and right the ship pretty quick. There's still a lot of talent on this team and good amount of support to keep the program from failing all together. Biddle took an 0-11 team and went 6-5 the next year, followed by a PL title in year three. I'm not saying Lehigh will get a guy like that but the right coach will make all the difference.
    Last edited by Go Lehigh TU owl; October 18th, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

First Class FCS Advocate The Historian's Avatar

Top Candidates for Lehigh HC

I think it is time to go outside the "Lehigh Family". The last three choices have been internal or a former assistant.

How about Jeff McInerney, the coach at Central Connecticut? He has already proven he is a better coach than Coen, is originally from the area and familiar with Lehigh football. His record this season is 5-1, the complete reverse of Coen's. What's more he has demonstrated his abilities as a head coach.

But please get someone who can put a more entertaining product on the field. The last six quarters at Goodman have been torture to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I think it is time to go outside the "Lehigh Family". The last three choices have been internal or a former assistant.

How about Jeff McInerney, the coach at Central Connecticut? He has already proven he is a better coach than Coen, is originally from the area and familiar with Lehigh football. His record this season is 5-1, the complete reverse of Coen's. What's more he has demonstrated his abilities as a head coach.

But please get someone who can put a more entertaining product on the field. The last six quarters at Goodman have been torture to watch.
    My boss' son played for him at URI and says an excellent coach.

My Team
    Central Connecticut State

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post

A very good choice, but IMO he has no interest in leaving CCSU.

Jeff was a 24-year assistant who coached at a million places (USC, UNLV, Lousiania Tech, Troy, Georiga Southeren, URI). He did "grow up" in the Lehigh Valley and has strong connections there. But he also went to HS in Conn. (South Windsor) and has finally settled down getting his firts HC position. His daughter attends CCSU and he is doing great in building a program.

We lost Massela because he was truly a NY guy (former NYFD) and wanted to go home. At the time the NEC didn't have the AQ or plans to increase schollys to 40 (or more). I think Coach Mac is excited he is building something in New Britain and isn't likely to leave.

Six-Time NEC Football Champions

2019 | 2017 | 2010 | 2009 | 2005 | 2004
    FCS Playoffs - 2019, 2017

Jim Zorn is going to need a job, maybe he will move up the road a little.

You guys have to be realistic...nobody is coming from a scholarship program to coach Lehigh. It's not that desirable a position. I don't mean that as a knock against Lehigh. There is no job in the PL that would be better than a comparable FCS job with schollies.

Donnelley would be a good choice. He was my first coach at Lafayette. I believe he and coach Tavani are close. The only thing is...with the job he's done at Muhlenburg, I have to imagine he's had loads of offers from FCS schools. Is he so happy at Muhlenburg that he's essentially settled down for the long haul? Is he one who want to risk it all to climb the coaching ladder? I would have to imagine he is at least Tavani's age. I guess you would almost be obliged to make a run at him. He'd be an upgrade...that's for sure.

I know they have been recruiting here in the south this fall like nothing is going on.What kind of timing do you see for this?will any of the current staff stay in tact?

Quote Originally Posted by busybee14 View Post
    I know they have been recruiting here in the south this fall like nothing is going on.What kind of timing do you see for this?will any of the current staff stay in tact?
    Sounds to me like Lehigh may have just lost a recruit due directly to this chatter. Welcome to the internet age. Hey busybee, have your son take a look at Lafayette. It's right down the road from Lehigh and since this isn't a smack talk thread I will refrain from pointing out the obvious advantages.