I see a lot of folks penning Liberty in for the final at-large spot. I'm not saying they're wrong to do so. The win over Elon was impressive, and should carry weight with the selection committee.

But ...

How about Jax State? Thanks to the way everything else fell today, Liberty & JSU seem to be the first two in line for that last bid. Will the committee take the Flames over the Gamecocks? Consider:

Discounting LU's DII wins, they're 8-2 (with a loss to Presbyterian). Jax State is 8-3. Liberty was #22 today, JSU #24. Liberty's last act: defeating the #12 team. JSU's: beating #18 (Tenn. St., a week ago). The combined records of the teams Liberty beat: 42-51. JSU's wins: 33-62. The Big South is a notch ahead of the OVC in GPI.

On paper, I'd give Liberty the edge. But it's close enough that Flames fans shouldn't write it in stone just yet. We all know the committee can do some interesting things on selection Sunday.

I wouldn't fault them for going with Liberty, but you'll forgive me for hoping they don't.

Thoughts?

<begin OVC-bashing in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...>