In an article from the Huntsville Item Whitten stresses that the team is a work in progress "taking steps forward", TWICE!

FREAKING BABY STEPS! :bang: :bang:

With 13 returning starters from last seasons semi-finalist team and some big I-A transfers, the Kats are no doubt a big disappointment in the SLC this season. The problem is that the coach does not see it this way. He seems to find some good in every bad situation. The bigger problem is that the good he is finding is not helping the team win.

Trouble in Thibodaux for SHSU: Colonels run all over Kats 37-17 By Cody Stark/Assistant Sports Editor

THIBODAUX, La. - Sam Houston State spent most of Saturday afternoon chasing running backs around Guidry Stadium.

Nicholls State exploded for 471 yards on the ground en route to a 37-17 manhandling of the Bearkats in the Colonels' first home game in more than a month. The loss likely ended any hopes the Bearkats (1-4 overall, 0-2 in Southland Conference play) had of making a return trip to the postseason.

”I feel like we made some steps forward today,“ SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said. ”I think defensively we are still pretty good, but offensively we are still a work in progress. I thought our defense played hard, but we didn't have an answer for the option. Nicholls is a well-coached team, and they do a good job of executing the offense.“

http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2...s/sports01.txt