I took my time this afternoon with this one. I wanted to savor it. God knows that many of us (me, more than most) have repeatedly piled on the Hoyas for their pigskin ineptitude and their failure to show even one little sign that someone/anyone inside the Beltway cares even a little about football. This is a giant step out of the darkness. Are they contenders? No. Is there reason to believe that the sleeping giant is awakening? Definitely.

GEORGETOWN TOTAL = 78

QUALITY = 31: Overall, 12 (36%) were rated by Rivals and/or Scout. Last year, 3 (14%) of the recruits were rated. The really impressive thing here is that four recruits received 2 stars from Rivals. It is easy to get mentioned (with no stars) from Rivals, but very difficult to get star ratings. For example, only two other recruits this year in the entire Patriot League received stars from Rivals. In addition, all 4 of these recruits were “verified” in that they also received stars from Scout (3 of them receiving the same 2 stars). Neither of the other Patriot League recruits who received stars this year from Rivals were “verified” by Scout. It should be noted that 3 of the 4 recruits who received 2 stars from Rivals (and who were “verified” by Scout) are QBs. Since QB is where you start to build a college football team,…

CLASS SIZE = 7: 33 recruits.

DISTRIBUTION = 9: At least one recruit in each of the 9 positions considered in this system.

SPEED = 13: Six recruits earned speed points based on the limited information available.

TRIGGER = 6: Something of an embarrassment of riches here, with 7 recruits listed as QBs. As pointed out above, 3 of the 7 appear to have above average potential.

JUMBO = 3: Probably the biggest disappointment in this group. Only two OL recruits, with only one weighing 275+. The other, however is a 2-star recruit (both services) and doesn’t miss by much. Four DL recruits, with only 1 @ 250+. Three recruits are listed as OL/DL, and all are in the 260-270 range. My guess is that Kelly will need them on the offensive side of the ball. Anyway, I arbitrarily awarded one point for this trio.

NEEDS = 9:

Rated Prospects (at least 5 or 6) = 5 (of 5): They got 12. Personally, I would like to see more ratings for the big uglies, but considering where they’ve been, this is extraordinary.
Offensive Line = 2 (of 4): Only 2 recruits specifically for the OL. Not impressive size.
Defensive Line = 2 (of 3): Not much of note here unless we assume that at least one of those OL/DL prospects ends up on the defense.

Final Results:

1. Georgetown 78
2. Lehigh 74
3. Fordham 71
4. Holy Cross 66
5. Colgate 64
6. Lafayette 58
7. Bucknell 53