Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Student Govt in San Marcos Passes "FBS Vote" to Students

Student Govt in San Marcos Passes "FBS Vote" to Students

Mods, please note that this is not a news article, but an actual copy of the legislation presented, so not breaking the TOS

Apparently, the Associated Student Government has now passed the legislation which will allow a student-vote on an athletic fee increased geared towards moving the program at Texas State-San Marcos from FCS to FBS in the next five years.

AUTHORS: Senator Ugo Eziefule, Richard Lopez
    SPONSORS: President Reagan Pugh, Vice-President Alexis Dabney
    FIRST READING: January 28, 2008
    “Today’s Vision Tomorrow’s Tradition”
    S.R.S. 2007-2008/1

WHEREAS: We consider Texas State University to be the best University in the state of Texas; and

WHEREAS: Texas State University has established a tradition of scholastic excellence on a national level; and

WHEREAS: In order for Texas State to continue in the fine tradition we have established, a determined and ambitious athletics program is essential to the forward progress we as an institution strive for; and

WHEREAS: There has been overwhelming positive student, alumni and community support for the move to Division 1A (Now known as Football Bowl Subdivision) football since the turn of the century; and

WHEREAS: This excitement is reflected by the past 2007-2008 Associated Student Government election as a part of both candidates’ platforms; and

WHEREAS: The result of this excitement was a re-initiated conversation that took place in the Athletics Strategic Planning Committee composed of members of the community, large donors, ASG representatives, Alumni, Faculty and the Administration appointed by President Denise Trauth; and

WHEREAS: After five meetings, the committee came to the consensus that the University has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football; and

WHEREAS: There is currently a four year moratorium initiated by the NCAA on all universities desiring to either move up in classification; and

WHEREAS: The committee felt that this moratorium provides an ample opportunity for Texas State University to prepare itself for a move to FBS in five years; and

WHEREAS: The infrastructure that must be created and the improvements that must occur in our Athletics program for Texas State to be prepared to compete at an FBS level are highly extensive and time sensitive; and

WHEREAS: The steps that must be taken have been enumerated in a list of benchmarks and a committee recommendation that has been unanimously approved by the President’s Cabinet; and

WHEREAS: The committee’s recommendations will replace the current plan for the pillar of the Capital Campaign dedicated to athletics; and

WHEREAS: The first step in the direction of FBS is undying confidence and investment from the student body; and

WHEREAS: It is necessary to hold a spring referendum this spring 2008 semester to increase the Athletic Service Fee over the next five years by twelve (12) dollars per credit hour; and

WHEREAS: This fee would be implemented in the fall of 2009 with an increase of two (2) dollars per credit hour. The fee will continue to be raised two (2) dollars per credit hour each year for five years until the 2013-2014 academic year; and

WHEREAS: This increase will bring the students’ contribution to the Athletic Department from the current eight ( 8 ) dollars per credit hour to twenty (20) dollars per credit hour or roughly from a total of five (5) million dollars to roughly thirteen (13) million dollars; and

WHEREAS: If the students choose to take the first step in creating a vision for the Athletics Department, it is essential that we be matched by the community, Alumni, Athletics Department, Staff, Faculty and the Administration; therefore

BE IT RESOLVED: That the Associated Student Government of Texas State University lead the student body into the next era of excellence at our institution by marching once again into the direction of FBS with a concentrated effort to pass this spring referendum; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the Associated Student Government of Texas State University call on President Denise Trauth and Athletic Director, Dr. Larry Teis to employ an unprecedented level of diligence, passion and fervor in the implementation of the FBS plan; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That once the incremental fee increase has ended and the NCAA moratorium has lifted if in the unlikely circumstance Texas State is not positioned to apply for a classification change to FBS status that the fee be reviewed by the Associated Student Government and be subject to reduction and/or revocation; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That upon the passage of the spring referendum on February 12 & 13 2008 that President Trauth make a public statement regarding the mobilizing movement and Dr. Larry Teis and the Athletic Department notify all large media sources for coverage; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That student support must be constant throughout this process. Winning or losing, forward motion is under way and the fire must remain lit, today’s vision is tomorrow’s tradition; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That a copy of this legislation be forwarded to the Athletics Strategic Planning Committee, Dr. John Garrison, Dean of Students, Dr. JoAnn Smith, Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Larry Teis, Athletics Director and President Denise Trauth upon its passage.

-----------------
    According to one poster, how much it will cost the students...

Athletic Fee current- $8 (x 15hrs = $120)
    Athletic Fee Fall 2009- $10 ($150)
    Athletic Fee Fall 2010- 12 ($180)
    Athletic Fee Fall 2011- 14 ($210)
    Athletic Fee Fall 2012- 16 ($240)
    Athletic Fee Fall 2013- 18 ($270)
    Final Athletic Cost purposed- $20-SCH ($300)

$600 (per year) x 5 years (amt of time people stay in college) = $3000 of your student loans are going to fund Bobcat athletics.
    -The Terror-

Re: Student Govt in San Marcos Passes "FBS Vote" to Students

Should be noted that the folks in the student government in San Marcos think..."the University has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football"...

Can someone explain to me how your institution has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football...?

What exactly defines how the school has outgrown the SLC and FCS?

Size? There's FBS institutions that are at about 4,000 (see Rice). If you go by that standards, we all should be FBS. There's even a few Div II schools that are the size or just abouts of your institution (see Wayne State with over 30,000 students). Well, maybe we should all be in Div II.

Or do you measure by athletic success? One playoff appearance. One Southland title.

I'm not quite sure how you've outgrown the conference or the subdivision. Until proven otherwise, I do not think that statement does anything for your case. If anything, this WHEREAS must have come out of the Dr Seuss classic, "Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!"
    -The Terror-

FCS Master

They have had 2 winning seasons since 1994.

Nothing that happened in the FCS years ago will matter in the FBS. The most important thing will be the how well the transition is made and how much support the TXST folk will give.
    National Champions
    1985 1986 1989 1990 1999 2000

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7538/gsbaruj2.png

A reminder of the last attempt...

n a seemingly ongoing effort to elevate its football program from I-AA to I-A AND create a public relations nightmare, officials from Southwest Texas State had plenty to say last week, with typically little of it making sense. A series of articles in the Daily University Star, SWT's student paper, printed negative comments about the Southland Football League attributed to school administrators, and later detailed severe contradictions in plans for stadium expansion.

Athletic Director Greg LaFleur, who was hired in July and is a veteran of exactly one Southland Football League contest, was quoted as saying, "This school deserves to be known for its athletic program because the school is better than people perceive it to be. This [misconception] is because of our conference." Ah, yes, the league brings down SWT down. That would be SWT, which has a league record of 32-58-1 (.357), no conference titles, and no playoff appearances since joining the conference in 1987.

Not content to bust only on Southland athletics, SWT Vice President for Student Affairs James Studer offered the following, "[Those schools] are smaller and generally the academics are not the same as SWT's. We're not the institution we were 10, 15, or 20 years ago. We're a much better school. The kind of academic program we have is much more broad based. Generally, you're known by the company you keep." I see, so what you're saying is that schools like McNeese State and Northwestern State don't scream out "Ivy League," but teams from the Sun Belt (which is the only I-A league with football standards low enough to want the Bobcats) like Louisiana-Monroe, Middle Tennessee State, and North Texas have long been heralded as bastions of quality academics. Please.
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...ong_101701.htm
    -The Terror-

Master FCS Advocate Freightliner's Avatar

TT,

As i posted on BF.com, I gotta agree with you on this...

I also would like to see the proof that we have "severely outgrown" the SLC.

Someone in the Associated Student Goverment must have taken a class with Dr. Jim Studer (ex VP of Student Affairs at TXST) on "saying the wrong things"

Dont get me wrong though....I'd like to see Tx State go FBS....just not for THAT reason.

If the vote passes (which I am sure it will) and the admin announces to move to FBS -- I think there's bound to be some problems that lie ahead for the San Marcos based institution...

I'm sure there's some rules in the conference that would negatively impact the school...the conference might even consider the announcement of a move to FBS as an announcement that they are leaving the conference (as in, immediately). The words out of San Marcos in the past have not done anything to help the school's relationship with the other schools in the SLC and the conference at large.
    -The Terror-

Master FCS Advocate Freightliner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    If the vote passes (which I am sure it will) and the admin announces to move to FBS -- I think there's bound to be some problems that lie ahead for the San Marcos based institution...
    Oh I know it will (only about 6,000 students will vote..) and they will call it a majority victory....blah blah blah

I'm sure there's some rules in the conference that would negatively impact the school...the conference might even consider the announcement of a move to FBS as an announcement that they are leaving the conference (as in, immediately). The words out of San Marcos in the past have not done anything to help the school's relationship with the other schools in the SLC and the conference at large.
    Tell me something I dont know....i still remember all the shellacking we took on roadtrips about that....even from the officials!!!

Master FCS Advocate

As we discuss the "prestige" of moving to the FBS, everyone should remember that the majority of the highest rated academic institutions in this country play in D-Iaa (or lower).

SEE IVY LEAGUE AND MANY D-III SCHOOLS.
    Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by UCABEARS75 View Post
    As we discuss the "prestige" of moving to the FBS, everyone should remember that the majority of the highest rated academic institutions in this country play in D-Iaa (or lower).

SEE IVY LEAGUE AND MANY D-III SCHOOLS.

In fairness you're talking almost exclusively about private schools there. Though it is by no means 100%, more often than not the schools that are perceived to be the top state school are in fact FBS. You could certainly name exceptions, though.
    "Let's let'em know right now at the beginning of the game that they're playing EKU, and they're gonna get the hell knocked out of them right off the bat!"

--Former EKU coach Roy Kidd

http://static.flickr.com/46/163085795_b43cb8ce0c.jpg