Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Re: Richmond to join the Patriot League in 2025

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    The major conferences in 1954:

Atlantic Coast (8; includes South Carolina)
    Big Ten (10)
    Big Seven (7; Big 8 less Oklahoma St.)
    Pacific Coast (9; Pac 8 + Idaho)
    Southeastern (12; includes Tulane and Georgia Tech)
    Southwest (7; before Texas Tech and Houston)
    Good call regarding the PAC! Montana deciding to withdraw is often overlooked given the interesting backdrop. I'm not familiar with Idaho's decision to step away.

Either way I should have remembered the Griz departure given the fact when I looked at Montana joining ranks with the MWC/Oregon State/Washington State their previous history with the PAC 8/10 was part of my thought process.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

My Team
    Colgate

Quote Originally Posted by Go Green View Post
    They were also in a league with the Ivy schools for baseball. Ivy League Baseball didn't become official until the early 1990s when A&N went to the PL.

The Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League.

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

The Richmond Spiders’ Patriot League Tale, Part Two: The CFA Splits College Football, And Splits Two Rivals

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/the-richmond-spiders-patriot-league-tale-part-two-the-cfa-splits-college-football-and-splits-two-rivals/

Richmond, and their Rivals, William & Mary, were medium sized schools in medium sized markets with successful programs for their size and ambitions. Thanks to an entity called the “College Football Association”, or CFA, Richmond and William & Mary’s world was about to tear apart.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    The Richmond Spiders’ Patriot League Tale, Part Two: The CFA Splits College Football, And Splits Two Rivals

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/the-richmond-spiders-patriot-league-tale-part-two-the-cfa-splits-college-football-and-splits-two-rivals/

Continuing to enjoy this historical series. Thanks for doing it & posting.

Question: The phrase, roughly, “…it looked like the SoCon was going to be classified as D2” is used a couple of times in Part 2 and FUBeAR thinks he saw that similarly phrased at least once in Part 1. While FUBeAR was following the ACC (and HS Cheerleader skirts) more closely than the news of the SoCon in those days, he doesn’t recall any of that ‘conversation.’

Can you point, via link(s), to some of the articles / source material you used to develop that piece of the history. FUBeAR would like to learn more details about the ‘players’ in that conversation and the thinking around the process. As we know, the SoCon stayed D1 and stayed 1-A in the 1978 split into 1-A and 1-AA (until 1982). So, how the SoCon stayed 2 ‘levels’ above where it was thought the conference would be classified, during that time frame in history almost has to be an interesting tale.

THANKS! Looking forward to reading Part 3 … and the info at the requested links, if you got ‘em.
    In America we resolve our differences at the battle box. You know, that’s how we do it, at the battle box…

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Continuing to enjoy this historical series. Thanks for doing it & posting.

Question: The phrase, roughly, “…it looked like the SoCon was going to be classified as D2” is used a couple of times in Part 2 and FUBeAR thinks he saw that similarly phrased at least once in Part 1. While FUBeAR was following the ACC (and HS Cheerleader skirts) more closely than the news of the SoCon in those days, he doesn’t recall any of that ‘conversation.’

Can you point, via link(s), to some of the articles / source material you used to develop that piece of the history. FUBeAR would like to learn more details about the ‘players’ in that conversation and the thinking around the process. As we know, the SoCon stayed D1 and stayed 1-A in the 1978 split into 1-A and 1-AA (until 1982). So, how the SoCon stayed 2 ‘levels’ above where it was thought the conference would be classified, during that time frame in history almost has to be an interesting tale.

THANKS! Looking forward to reading Part 3 … and the info at the requested links, if you got ‘em.
    Thanks. I think I can explain it this way.

Based on the criteria for CFA membership (i.e. with the stadium size and average attendance requirements), none of the SoCon schools in 1978 fit that criteria. Of specific issue was the 60% rule (that 60% of your schedule had to be vs. Division I (pre-1978) or I-A (after 1978) competition). If schools were force-reclassified (which seemed plausible) then being a member of the SoCon would mean you couldn't be in 60% compliance. However with the Ivy amendment, everything changed. You could declare yourself I-A, have three years to add enough sports to get to 12, and then remain I-A. That's why in 1978, the SoCon chose as a conference to remain I-A.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/w...con/149903741/

Without the Ivy Amendment, they wouldn't have had any choice.

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

My Team
    Colgate

Outstanding article!!

Boy, was my article timely.

Inside the beachside Ritz-Carlton resort along Florida’s southwestern coast, leaders of college athletics met in a second-floor conference room to discuss particulars about the industry’s future.

Those in the room were limited to five men: NCAA president Charlie Baker and commissioners from the SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big Ten.

Not in the room: the other 28 Division I commissioners who milled about on the first floor of the resort wondering the whereabouts of the other four.

“I didn’t even know they were meeting,” said one.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/with-the-fu...123034315.html

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU Owl View Post

It must be said, in general, Cornell football has been awful since joining the IL. Zero outright IL Titles, 3 IL co-championships and none since 1990, only two season with 8 wins or more (1971, 1986) plus a seemingly endless number years with 3 wins or less.
    Jim Hofher had a pretty good run, relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU Owl View Post

It must be said, in general, Cornell football has been awful since joining the IL. Zero outright IL Titles, 3 IL co-championships and none since 1990, only two season with 8 wins or more (1971, 1986) plus a seemingly endless number years with 3 wins or less.
    Add Columbia and the two NY schools still have zero outright titles, but their co-championships skyrocket to 4. Still none since 1990.

I believe that Bagnoli did have an eight win season at Columbia.

Since 2001, Georgetown and Cornell have been in much the same ditch:

Georgetown: 72-157 (One winning season, 2011)
    Cornell: 70-139 (One winning season. 2005)

Since 2003, the schools have split the four meetings between them, last in 2019 (Georgetown 14, at Cornell 8).
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."