Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    AGS FCS Champion
    bonarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT
    Location
    The other side of the globe
    Posts
    16,679

    FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

    ---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

  2. #2
    AGS FCS Master WestCoastAggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Atlanta Metro
    Posts
    4,132

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    Cost Containment

  3. #3
    AGS FCS Champion DFW HOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,142

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    This is a misleading headline-- it compares five FCS schools that draw playoff revenue and good attendance with low(er) rates of tuition and operating expenses, but you can't extrapolate that "FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I."

    Sam Herder says as much: "About 80% of G5 public schools have a subsidization of 50% or more, while nearly 20% have at least 70%. For FCS public schools, 90% have a subsidization of 50% or more, while 50% have at least 70%." Add in private schools, and the 70% threshold is even higher.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

  4. #4
    First Class FCS Ruler
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    My Team
    North Dakota
    Posts
    746

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    Him talking about percentages when the overall budgets between FCS and FBS are so much different is kind of stupid, IMO.

  5. #5
    AGS FCS Champion
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    My Team
    The Citadel
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    19,739

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    This is a misleading headline-- it compares five FCS schools that draw playoff revenue and good attendance with low(er) rates of tuition and operating expenses, but you can't extrapolate that "FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I."

    Sam Herder says as much: "About 80% of G5 public schools have a subsidization of 50% or more, while nearly 20% have at least 70%. For FCS public schools, 90% have a subsidization of 50% or more, while 50% have at least 70%." Add in private schools, and the 70% threshold is even higher.
    As with all statistics, anyone can slice and dice numbers, use creative math, or come up with creative definitions to show what they want. Headline aside, articles like these aren't usually worth the electrons used to create them. Bottom line is no two schools are alike, so trying to compare 100s of them to one arguably arbitrary measurement is silly.

  6. #6
    My real name is Bisontownmocks
    BisonFan02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    My Team
    North Dakota State
    Location
    Vinland
    Posts
    14,421

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    NDSU will always have to run their program as lean and unsubsidized as possible.....will never get local/state help due to the outhouse an hour north of them.
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

    "Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

  7. #7
    AGS FCS Champion mainejeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Team
    Maine
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    13,394

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    Interesting to compare CAA schools.....

    Student Fee Subsidies:

    Towson - $17,872,941
    William & Mary - $15,805,578
    UNH - $13,315,230
    Stony Brook - $9,718,977
    NC A&T - $9,479,012
    Albany - $7,422,081
    Maine - $0
    Rhode Island - $0

  8. #8
    AGS FCS Champion

    Professor Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    12,540

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    Interesting to compare CAA schools.....

    Student Fee Subsidies:

    Towson - $17,872,941
    William & Mary - $15,805,578
    UNH - $13,315,230
    Stony Brook - $9,718,977
    NC A&T - $9,479,012
    Albany - $7,422,081
    Maine - $0
    Rhode Island - $0
    Probably just a matter of accounting - here's the "school funds" going into athletic department revenue for each of those schools:

    Towson - $5,153,431
    William & Mary - $1,134,287
    UNH - $11,273,183
    Stony Brook - $21,963,512
    NC A&T - $3,291,387
    Albany - $13,828,527
    Maine - $19,247,506
    Rhode Island - $24,593,744
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

  9. #9
    AGS FCS Champion mainejeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Team
    Maine
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    13,394

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Probably just a matter of accounting - here's the "school funds" going into athletic department revenue for each of those schools:

    Towson - $5,153,431
    William & Mary - $1,134,287
    UNH - $11,273,183
    Stony Brook - $21,963,512
    NC A&T - $3,291,387
    Albany - $13,828,527
    Maine - $19,247,506
    Rhode Island - $24,593,744
    Maine does not charge a "student fee" to support its collegiate athletic program.....that's a fact. As a public university it absolutely receives funds from the State of Maine.

    The original post with tweet focused on JMU's student subsidies.....hence the focus in my post.

  10. #10
    AGS FCS Champion

    Professor Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    12,540

    Re: FCS programs are among the least subsidized in all of Division I

    Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    Maine does not charge a "student fee" to support its collegiate athletic program.....that's a fact. As a public university it absolutely receives funds from the State of Maine.

    The original post with tweet focused on JMU's student subsidies.....hence the focus in my post.
    What I'm saying is it's pretty much the same thing whether it's earmarked as student fees of school funds. In both cases it's money going to the school's athletic department that would otherwise be going to the school to support other things. I'm pretty confident tuition is higher at Maine and Rhode Island due to that $19M and $24M, respectively, that the school is sending to subsidize the athletic department.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Similar Threads

  1. CSN Log: 351 Division I Programs - One Voice
    By CSN Log in forum FCS News Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 26th, 2013, 06:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •