Thread: AFL-CIO Comes to Hanover

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

Re: AFL-CIO Comes to Hanover

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    Agreed. I am hopeful that once this gets to federal court, it will be knocked down. I don't see the students as "employees". Typically, in business, an employee is hired to provide a service to the company as part of the company's effort to make a profit. Except for the big Power 5, there are no schools making a "profit"...especially at the FCS/DII/DIII level, where athletics is viewed as a 'extra-curricular' activity. Indeed, many schools have used their athletic programs as a means to expand education in areas such as leadership, exposure to community involvement. This is where I can see Congress getting involved (though the thought makes me cringe). Have those schools who want to be 'big time' just carve out those sports and create, in essence, a set of minor league conferences where it is a profit-driven business. Pay the players, everyone pays their respective taxes, workers compensation, social security, health care, etc.
    The rest of us just go back to being schools where the students are playing football for fun and learning and receiving grants-in-aid. I don't think the Dartmouth players have thought this entirely through. If they are being "paid" via a scholarship, they will owe taxes (fed, state, local). The scholarships are not 'cash'. They are basically a 'credit' provided toward tuition, room and board. Now, the student has to come up with the cash to pay the taxes on the credit received.
    ....ONE REASON SKOOLS WHOM LOSE DUCATS....CONTINUE......IS....IT'S UH BARGAIN......TUH HAVE.....NAME/BRAND/MASCOT BE SEEN.....UD AD CHRISSI RAWAK......SAID BY GETTIN' UH GAME ON ESPN....40X SETS UH EYES....WOOD SEE DELAWARE & LOGO....THAN IFIN' STILL ON FLO TV.........SO IF 200,000 TUNE IN....FLO...........8 MILLION VIEWERS.......FO' DUH ESPNS........BRAWK!
    Last edited by MR. CHICKEN; March 7th, 2024 at 01:34 PM.