Quote Originally Posted by MSUBobcat View Post
Yeah, there's no law that a school has to field a basketball team. If unionizing causes the team to be unsustainable financially, then the kids likely cut off their nose to spite the face.

EDIT: just saw FUBeAR's article that the Dartmouth basketball program loses HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to field a team with 6 whole wins. If this is the "business model", Dartmouth MBB "employees" should have been fired long ago.
99.99% of all sports programs in the NCAA lose money. There are only a handful of athletic departments as a whole that aren't in the red. I wonder what the end-game is for the Dartmouth basketball team and what they hope to accomplish with their union. There's no revenue to share. As pointed out, the university loses hundreds of thousands every year so that these young men can live out their dream of playing Division I basketball while receiving a world-class education...an education that might not have been available to them without basketball.

I would imagine the goal of any collective bargaining in this case would be to:

- Set boundaries as far as number of hours can be devoted to team activities and/or times of day that staff can/cannot schedule meetings practices or lifts
- Health benefits
- FCOA (I'm sure Dartmouth never provided this)
- Obviously NCAA still doesn't allow schools to outright pay players so an institutional paycheck is out of the question, but perhaps the union could force the school to provide resources to assist players with whatever NIL deals might be available.

They also could try to negotiate things like meal quality, access to better facilities and travel accommodations but again not sure what leverage union would have given that the school has budget constraints for athletics without revenue to offset.