Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
I don't study academic rankings at all, nor do I care that much. While they might gerrymander the acceptance rate, Northeastern I'm fairly certain has indeed grown tremendously in the rankings and as far as average scores needed to get in. When I was in college, Northeastern absolutely would've been a safety school for Holy Cross. Today, I believe it's more competitive to get into Northeastern as an undergrad than HC.

One tactic some schools use is to intentionally send mailings out to students who are unlikely to get in. Typically, it's the opposite -- prospective applicants get majority of mail and postcards from schools that have SAT ranges below your score on record (I think it's the junior year PSAT they base this off of -- I may be dating myself). But, when I was a junior in HS the majority of mail I got was from places like McDaniel, Goucher College, Sacred Heart, Rutgers, UConn, St. Joe's (PA) and The College of New Jersey. I wasn't getting solicited via mail from the like of Georgetown, Amherst or Middlebury. I've heard some of the middle-of-the road private schools are sending mail to kids whose SAT ranges fall in a lower profile, to entice them to apply. If the kid doesn't get in, the school still benefits from the application fee and the lower acceptance rate, which factors into all the fugazi rankings that everyone drools over.
impressive !

The only mail I remember from my junior year was around Christmas time when the Sears & Roebuck catalog showed up