Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 10 Playoff Prognostication

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion

Week 10 Playoff Prognostication

Just 2 week until Selection Sunday so time for an updated playoff prognostication. I broke it down by conference listing the teams in order from where I think (using Massey as a guide) each team sits in terms of easiest path to the playoffs (or who's already in) to toughest path within their conference. You can see all of Massey's updated numbers at https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/fcs/ratings. The numbers in brackets behind each team is Massey's expected remaining wins and losses and the percentage in parenthesis behind each remaining game is Massey's percentage that each team wins that respective game. Using Massey percentages to project the remaining game I put together what I think would be the field at the bottom of this post if it all played out like it's supposed to (which we all know it won't).

Big Sky
    Montana locked themselves in this week with a big win over Sac St and Idaho and Montana St kept trucking as they're only a win away from locking in their spot and might be in regardless. How the seeds break down amongst these teams will be interesting - if Montana St beats Montana as Massey predicts it could be a mess at the top with three 9-2 teams all 1-1 against each other. Massey thinks Idaho's next game at Weber St is closer to a toss up than most would think so that could throw another monkey wrench into things. That Sac St/UC Davis finale might be interesting if UC Davis wins and they both finish 7-4. UC Davis would have the head-to-head win but Sac St has that nice FBS/Pac-12 pelt - would there be enough room for both? I still think this league gets 4 bids this year and probably 3 seeds.

Locked in
    Montana 8-1 (5-1) [1.22/0.78] - @Portland St (77%), Montana St (45%)

Likely in
    Idaho 7-2 (5-1) [1.41/0.59] - @Weber St (52%), Idaho St (89%)
    Montana St 7-2 (5-1) [1.34/0.66] - EWU (79%), @Montana (55%)

Work left to do
    Sac St 6-3 (3-3) [1.51/0.49] - Cal Poly (97%), @UC Davis (54%)
    UC Davis 5-4 (3-3) [1.22/0.78] - @Idaho St (76%), Sac St (46%)

CAA
    Another week and another couple teams (UNH and Hampton) falling of this list of CAA playoff contenders. Delaware knocked themselves out of the top 4 seed conversation with their loss to Elon but are still just a win away from locking in their playoff spot. Both Nova and Albany picked up big wins that has them on the verge of locking in their spot as well. I'm having a hard time seeing more than one playoff bid, if that, from the group in the "work left to do category". Richmond/Elon and William & Mary/Richmond will be huge games these least two weeks and the loser of both of those games is likely out. I think even if URI wins out they're on the wrong side of the bubble. We'll see who can make it to Selection Sunday with 4 or fewer losses out of the CAA but I'm thinking 3-4 bids for the league is it with 3 more likely than 4.

Likely in
    Delaware 7-2 (5-1) [1.33/0.67] - @Campbell (76%), Nova (57%)
    Villanova 7-2 (5-1) [1.28/0.72] - Towson (85%), @Delaware (43%)
    Albany 7-3 (5-1) [1.52/0.48] - @SBU (94%), Monmouth (58%)

Work left to do
    Richmond 6-3 (5-1) [1.06/0.94] - Elon (64%), @W&M (41%)
    Elon 5-4 (5-1) [1.29/0.71] - @Richmond (36%), Hampton (93%)
    William & Mary 5-4 (3-3) [1.48/0.52] - @Hamptom (89%), Richmond (59%)
    Rhode Island 5-4 (3-3) [1.49/0.51] - NC A&T (90%), @Towson (59%)

MVFC
    Another week closer to Selection Sunday and another week where the list of playoff contenders in the MVFC stays huge (what a difference from last year). SDSU is locked in and I'm thinking they're probably only one more win away from locking up the #1 seed as well. USD got a huge win @SIU and is tracking towards a decent seed. At least 2 in the group of NDSU/UNI/SIU is going to be at 4 losses or more come Selection Sunday - UNI probably has the best shot of those 3 at 7-4 but head-to-head matchups between them these last 2 weeks will loom large even though I tend to think all of them are in at 7-4. UND could also end up in the 7-4 group to make things even messier but if they lose to USD next week they're likely already playing a playoff game in week 12 vs Illinois St who hung on this list by a thread yesterday. YSU is yet another MVFC team likely to end up at 7-4 - their head-to-head win over SIU should help them but they lost to UNI and don't play NDSU or UND so it'll be tough to place them until we see who else is at 7-4 with them. 6 bids is looking more and more likely but it could drop to 5 or get all the way to 7 depending on how things shake out these last 2 weeks.

Locked in
    SDSU 9-0 (6-0) [1.80/0.20] - @YSU (84%), Missouri St (95%)

Likely in
    USD 7-2 (5-1) [1.52/0.48] - UND (54%), @WIU (97%)

Work left do to
    NDSU 6-3 (3-3) [1.47/0.53] - SIU (80%), @UNI (67%)
    UNI 6-3 (5-1) [0.97/1.03] - @Missouri St (63%), NDSU (33%)
    SIU 6-3 (3-3) [1.19/0.81] - @NDSU (20%), Indiana St (99%)
    UND 6-3 (4-2) [1.10/0.90] - @USD (46%), Illinois St (65%)
    YSU 6-3 (4-2) [1.01/0.99] - SDSU (16%), @Murray St (85%)
    Illinois St 5-4 (3-3) [1.26/0.74] - Murray St (91%), @UND (35%)

SOCON
    Furman is the autobid here and is a massive favorite to finish 10-1 which probably gets them the #2 or #3 national seed. As for the rest they're in if they get to 8 wins but any and all of them would be on the bubble at 7-4. WCU is in the best shape of that group with 2 very winnable games to close out the season but they've been sputtering lately and might need some help if they drop one of those although head-to-head wins over Chattanooga and Samford may come in handy for them. Chattanooga is in the uneviable position of needing another win to lock themselves in and having to go to Bama for their final game so they're destined to be on the bubble at 7-4. Mercer and Samford play a coin flip game next week and if Samford wins they play what's likely another coin flip game in week 12 vs UTM. I'm not sure Samford will even be in at 7-4 with a sub-D1 win amongst those 7 wins but they could make a strong case. This league could still get anywhere from 2-4 bids IMO - it's just too early to tell.

Locked in
    Furman 8-1 (6-0) [1.93/0.07] - VMI (98%), @Wofford (94%)

Work left to do
    Western Carolina 6-3 (4-2) [1.46/0.54] - ETSU (72%), @VMI (74%)
    Mercer 7-3 (5-2) [0.51/0.49] - Samford (51%)
    Chattanooga 7-3 (6-2) [0.00/1.00] - @Bama (~0%)
    Samford 5-4 (4-3) [0.99/1.01] - @Mercer (49%), UTM (50%)

Patriot
    Lafayette's loss to Colgate yesterday turned this group upside down as Lafayette went from being on the fringe of a seed if they win out to now probably sitting on the wrong side of the bubble if they lose to Fordham next week (as Massey predicts). Holy Cross will be rooting for that to happen as one more league loss for Lafayette puts them back in the driver's seat for the autobid. They could take matters into their owns hands and essentially lock up a bid by beating Army next weekend but that's a tall order. I think Fordham is actually hurt by Lafayette's loss to Colgate because, even though Fordham can get above Lafayette in the playoff pecking order with a win next week, a win over Lafayette all of a sudden probably isn't a win over a playoff team like it looked like it would be last week. Whether the Patriot gets an at-large is probably a coin flip unless both HC and Lafayette win out.

Work left to do
    Lafayette 7-2 (3-1) [1.18/0.82] - Fordham (46%), @Lehigh (73%)
    Holy Cross 6-3 (4-1) [1.16/0.84] - @Army (22%), Georgetown (94%)
    Fordham 6-3 (2-2) [1.21/0.79] - @Lafayette (54%), @Colgate (67%)

OVC/Big South
    The OVC/Big South is still a mess - UTM barely avoided what would've been a crippling loss to TTU but SEMO didn't as they dropped a game to RMU meaning no one in this league (as far as I can tell) controls their own destiny for the autobid due to the fact that SEMO and G-W don't play each other. It seems like UTM's only path to the playoffs would be through an at-large since, if they beat SEMO next week, and G-W wins out they lose the tie breaker to G-W but if they get to 9-2 with that win and another win over Samford in week 12 they're looking good for a playoff bid no matter what. EIU and Tennessee St play an elimination game next week - I'm not sure TSU is in even if they finish 8-3 after an ugly loss to CSU yesterday. EIU could definitely make a case for an at-large at 8-3 but that head-to-head loss to UTM could bite them unless UTM snags the auto. It's possible this league gets an at-large especially if UTM and G-W win out but that'll be the most they can hope for.

Work left to do
    UT Martin 7-2 (4-1) [1.03/0.97] - SEMO (53%), @Samford (50%)
    EIU 6-3 (2-2) [1.51/0.49] - TSU (65%), @RMU (86%)
    Tennessee St 6-3 (2-2) [1.03/0.97] - @EIU (35%), TTU (69%)
    Gardner-Webb 5-4 (3-1) [1.39/0.61] - @TTU (63%), CSU (76%)
    SEMO 4-5 (3-1) [1.21/0.79] - @UTM (47%), @Bryant (74%)

Others
    I combined the SLC and UAC here but that's it for now as FAMU and NCCU kept their grips on their Celebration Bowl bids and the previous 2 leagues mentioned still have 3 or more teams in contention. You could see that UIW loss to Nicholls coming the way they'd been sputtering the last few weeks - I don't know what to make of UIW's at-large chances now. Their cancelled game vs NWSU now counts as a forfeit win but are they dinged for a sub-D1 win and a forfeit win if they win their finale against HCU??? Your guess is as good as mine but I think their at-large chances are sketchy. To get back in the conversation for the auto they need Lamar to beat Nicholls next week. The UAC is less tricky as both APSU and UCA control their own destiny. APSU might have a case for an at-large at 8-3 but I think they'd be in trouble - UCA is autobid or bust.

Work left to do
    Austin Peay 7-2 (4-0) [1.54/0.46] - Utah Tech (89%), UCA (65%)
    UCA 6-3 (3-1) [1.00/1.00] - EKU (65%), @APSU (35%)
    Incarnate Word 7-2 (4-1) [0.90/0.10] - NWSU (100% - forfeit), @HCU (90%)
    Nicholls 4-4 (5-0) [1.31/0.69] - Lamar (86%), @SLU (45%)

The Field

So there's 14 at-large available (1 more than last year with the Big South and OVC merging) - this is where I see them landing if things go to plan based on Massey odds over the last 2 weeks (which of course they won't) - the lists includes the autos so there's one additional team for each conference on top of the at-larges:
    Big Sky: 3 - Idaho (9-2), Montana St (9-2), Montana (9-2), Sac St (8-3)
    CAA: 2 - Delaware (9-2), Albany (9-3), Villanova (8-3)
    MVFC: 6 - SDSU (11-0), USD (9-2), NDSU (8-3), UNI (7-4), UND (7-4), YSU (7-4), SIU (7-4)
    SOCON: 3 - Furman (10-1), Mercer (8-3), WCU (8-3), Chattanooga (7-4)

The other 6 autos:
    Patriot: Holy Cross (7-4)
    OVC/Big South: Gardner-Webb (7-4)
    UAC: APSU (9-2)
    SLC: Nicholls (5-5)
    NEC: Duquesne (8-3)
    Pioneer: Davidson (9-2)

The seeds
    1. SDSU (11-0)
    2. Furman (10-1)
    3. Idaho (9-2)
    4. Montana St (9-2)
    5. USD (9-2)
    6. Montana (9-2)
    7. Delaware (9-2)
    8. NDSU (8-3)

Last 4 in: UND (7-4), YSU (7-4), SIU (7-4), Chattanooga (7-4)
    First 4 out: Fordham (8-3), Lafayette (8-3), UTM (8-3), UIW (8-2)

Others on the outside looking in amongst the teams I've listed above: EIU (8-3), TSU (7-4), William & Mary (7-4), Richmond (7-4), Rhode Island (7-4), UCA (7-4), UC Davis (6-5), Elon (6-5), Illinois St (6-5), Samford (6-5)

Some big movement in the projected seeds this week - this would be a tough draw for top seed SDSU since they'd probably have regular season rematches all the way until Frisco. A lot of tough decisions with this projected bubble as well - Fordham or Chattanooga was basically a coin flip for me. I still kinda doubt the committee gives the MVFC 7 bids and my logic is admittedly circular since I'm giving credit to these MVFC teams for wins over teams in my projected field which is easier to get when you have 7 teams from one conference in the projected field. Still it's tough to make a case for the projected 8 wins teams in weaker conferences over the proejected 7 win teams in the MVFC.

What do you think? Feel free to throw out your projection - it's kind of a fun exercise IMO.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; November 5th, 2023 at 10:31 AM.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Re: Week 10 Playoff Prognostication

Would Idaho receive a higher seed than Montana, based on the head-to-head game between the two teams?
    Idaho * Portland State * Cal State-Fullerton * Eastern Washington * Nevada * Delaware * Southern Utah * Youngstown State * Hofstra * Montana State * North Dakota State * Western Illinois * Cal Poly * Massachusetts * Wofford * Northern Arizona * Coastal Carolina * Weber State * UC Davis *
    ...the only visiting teams to win in Washington-Grizzly Stadium

UofMMan1122: "We are officially the most badass state in the union. "

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Montana State

Quote Originally Posted by grizband View Post
    Would Idaho receive a higher seed than Montana, based on the head-to-head game between the two teams?
    Yes since this is based on assuming Massey's predictions are correct.

Massey has MSU slightly favored over UM so this is based on the Griz losing Cat/Griz.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Catbooster View Post

Massey has MSU slightly favored over UM so this is based on the Griz losing Cat/Griz.
    Yep - Idaho, Montana St, and Montana would all be 1-1 against each other if the Cats beat the Griz so someone has to get seeded below someone they beat. In that case they'd all be 9-2 but Idaho and Montana St would be conference co-champs with Idaho getting the autobid (and the bump in seed line) above Montana St.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Catbooster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yep - Idaho, Montana St, and Montana would all be 1-1 against each other if the Cats beat the Griz so someone has to get seeded below someone they beat. In that case they'd all be 9-2 but Idaho and Montana St would be conference co-champs with Idaho getting the autobid (and the bump in seed line) above Montana St.
    That's fair, that's for clarifying.
    Idaho * Portland State * Cal State-Fullerton * Eastern Washington * Nevada * Delaware * Southern Utah * Youngstown State * Hofstra * Montana State * North Dakota State * Western Illinois * Cal Poly * Massachusetts * Wofford * Northern Arizona * Coastal Carolina * Weber State * UC Davis *
    ...the only visiting teams to win in Washington-Grizzly Stadium

UofMMan1122: "We are officially the most badass state in the union. "

My Team
    Montana

It would make sense

Cal loss = SDSU loss >>> NAU loss

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

I can't wait to see the following situation play out and the heads exploding trying to justify who to seed, not to seed, where each should be ranked, etc.

UNI>MOSU
    UND>USD
    NDSU>SIU
    YSU>SDSU
    UNI>NDSU

That would give UNI a share of the Valley title at 8-3 (7-1) and the Valley standings would look like

SDSU 10-1 7-1
    UNI 8-3 7-1
    UND 8-3 6-2
    USD 8-3 6-2
    NDSU 7-4 4-4
    SIU 7-4 4-4

The absolute hilarity of the outrage that would ensure giving UNI a seed - though it'd be hard to argue against given they'd be sharing the Valley title. Though we've seen UNI finish second, outright, in the Valley and the seed given to a team that finished 5th 2 games behind them in the the standings.

I say that because USD is going to be "ranked" the seed line before UNI would. They likely won't fall much because the UND win moves UND to 8-3 so it's "not a bad loss". Would that UND win be late enough in the year to bump them back ahead of UNI in the rankings (if UNI has even moved in front of them yet by that point)? If USD and UND are ranked a head of UNI and UNI gets the seed because they shared the conference title? *chefs kiss*. Though it's more likley that shared title and head to head blow out of UND is ignored and UNI isn't seeded and is instead fed to a seeded USD.

The double standard application and spin cycles are going to be oh so fun to read the next few weeks if that plays out.

My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    I can't wait to see the following situation play out and the heads exploding trying to justify who to seed, not to seed, where each should be ranked, etc.

UNI>MOSU
    UND>USD
    NDSU>SIU
    YSU>SDSU
    UNI>NDSU

That would give UNI a share of the Valley title at 8-3 (7-1) and the Valley standings would look like

SDSU 10-1 7-1
    UNI 8-3 7-1
    UND 8-3 6-2
    USD 8-3 6-2
    NDSU 7-4 4-4
    SIU 7-4 4-4

The absolute hilarity of the outrage that would ensure giving UNI a seed - though it'd be hard to argue against given they'd be sharing the Valley title. Though we've seen UNI finish second, outright, in the Valley and the seed given to a team that finished 5th 2 games behind them in the the standings.

I say that because USD is going to be "ranked" the seed line before UNI would. They likely won't fall much because the UND win moves UND to 8-3 so it's "not a bad loss". Would that UND win be late enough in the year to bump them back ahead of UNI in the rankings (if UNI has even moved in front of them yet by that point)? If USD and UND are ranked a head of UNI and UNI gets the seed because they shared the conference title? *chefs kiss*. Though it's more likley that shared title and head to head blow out of UND is ignored and UNI isn't seeded and is instead fed to a seeded USD.

The double standard application and spin cycles are going to be oh so fun to read the next few weeks if that plays out.
    If UNI wins out they should be a lock for a seed with only two FCS losses. Right now I would predict SDSU, USD, Montana, Montana State, Idaho, and Furman to all be seeded with one of those last two spots coming down to NDSU, UNI, or SIU.

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by JacksFan40 View Post
    If UNI wins out they should be a lock for a seed with only two FCS losses. Right now I would predict SDSU, USD, Montana, Montana State, Idaho, and Furman to all be seeded with one of those last two spots coming down to NDSU, UNI, or SIU.
    Should, but I've followed the FCS long enough to know that if UNI, USD, UND, and YSU all finish at 8-3 it won't matter than UNI beat YSU and UND. It won't matter than UNI finished with a share of the conference title while the others didn't. If history has shown us anything it's that UNI would be the bottom of that group in terms of getting a seed or even a seat at the playoff table.

UND and USD are both already ranked ahead of UNI and UNI isn't going to get the same NDSU boost those two did so they won't jump them. UND beats USD that moves UND up a ton and the other side would be "You can't fault USD for losing to UND like that". So they both stay ahead of UNI. YSU beats SDSU and they'll skyrocket because they beat SDSU and the H2H between those two gets thrown out because YSU beat SDSU late in the year.

It's pre-emptive conspiracy theory thinking on my part, but if you take a step back and truly think about it you'll see what I said absolutely would happen.

None of it matters if UNI doesn't win out and that exact situation doesn't play out. To get every single game to play out to get to that scenario is almost statistically impossible. Just a fun though experiment

EDIT - additional thought that i'm not sure where to put elsewhere

UNI's loss to WSU has been called a boat anchor, and it's not a good loss for sure. But don't look now as Weber is at 20 in Massey (laughable, I realize) and could finish 6-5 as they have a virtual lock win against Poly and are a 50/50 toss up with Idaho per massey. If Weber is at 6-5 are they still a "boat anchor"? What's even better with that is should Weber win that it puts Idaho also at 8-3 going to the playoffs. Does Idaho get hit with a "boat anchor" loss though pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    Should, but I've followed the FCS long enough to know that if UNI, USD, UND, and YSU all finish at 8-3 it won't matter than UNI beat YSU and UND. It won't matter than UNI finished with a share of the conference title while the others didn't. If history has shown us anything it's that UNI would be the bottom of that group in terms of getting a seed or even a seat at the playoff table.

UND and USD are both already ranked ahead of UNI and UNI isn't going to get the same NDSU boost those two did so they won't jump them. UND beats USD that moves UND up a ton and the other side would be "You can't fault USD for losing to UND like that". So they both stay ahead of UNI. YSU beats SDSU and they'll skyrocket because they beat SDSU and the H2H between those two gets thrown out because YSU beat SDSU late in the year.

It's pre-emptive conspiracy theory thinking on my part, but if you take a step back and truly think about it you'll see what I said absolutely would happen.

None of it matters if UNI doesn't win out and that exact situation doesn't play out. To get every single game to play out to get to that scenario is almost statistically impossible. Just a fun though experiment

EDIT - additional thought that i'm not sure where to put elsewhere

UNI's loss to WSU has been called a boat anchor, and it's not a good loss for sure. But don't look now as Weber is at 20 in Massey (laughable, I realize) and could finish 6-5 as they have a virtual lock win against Poly and are a 50/50 toss up with Idaho per massey. If Weber is at 6-5 are they still a "boat anchor"? What's even better with that is should Weber win that it puts Idaho also at 8-3 going to the playoffs. Does Idaho get hit with a "boat anchor" loss though pattern?
    If UNI wins out and they are tied with USD and UND. UNI would be the second team for a seed in the MVFC - due to head to head record. I mean you think UND is the playoff darling compared to UNI? I don't think so. Just win both games and UNI will be a seed - end of story.