Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2023 Youngstown St @Indiana St.

Re: 2023 Youngstown St @Indiana St.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    I wouldn’t say they are out of the playoffs. The potential field is weak in FCS again, very weak except for the MVFC and also Big Sky.
    Delaware had a bad loss today. They are overrated. Last year the committee dumped the so called "rules" out om thr table to make sure Delaware made it into the tournament. The CAA is trash this year. MVFC and Big Sky are the power conferences.

In reviewing stats, we had a decent game. The D was pretty good holding the Trees to 9 of 24 passes for 125 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT and 4 sacks. I dare say that may be the best D the Trees have seen, we also only gave up 66 yds on the ground.

YSU was 25 of37 passes for 254 yds, no INT and 3 sacks. We ran for 132 yds. Interestingly , Brungard led with 3 runs for 59, King had 49 and Rushton 24. I still don’t get why Rushton is the starter. King out plays him every game. BTW, Brungard could have had over 100 yds today if they used him more. The Trees were jamming the inside and leaving the outside open where Brungard did his damage.
    One other point, we passed the ball late in the game when Trees had no more timeouts when we should have ran to eat up clock. Simple elementary coaching yet we look like incompetent youth league coaches. I haven’t coached in years but that is just fundamental coaching 101. Scary to think what other MVFC coaches are salivating about when they face our staff !
    Last edited by Paladin1aa; November 4th, 2023 at 05:20 PM.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

My Team
    Youngstown State

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
    I wouldn’t say they are out of the playoffs. The potential field is weak in FCS again, very weak except for the MVFC and also Big Sky.
    Agreed. Plenty of variables in the final two weeks.

My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by The Yo Show View Post
    Well onto all the playoff marbles. YSU has a miracle and beats SDSU at home then YSU makes playoffs and maybe gets a seed?!

YSU loses and they are likely out of playoffs
    YSU should be in at 7-4 with that win over SIU giving them the boost, and their current two FCS losses being by a combined six points.

Still a massive game next week in Youngstown. Big trap game potential with SDSU coming off of two big rivalry wins.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksFan40 View Post
    YSU should be in at 7-4 with that win over SIU giving them the boost, and their current two FCS losses being by a combined six points.

Still a massive game next week in Youngstown. Big trap game potential with SDSU coming off of two big rivalry wins.
    Already checked your stats for todays game. For the ones that count, you guys don’t beat yourselves - didn’t lose a fumble, no INTs, only 4 penalties for 40 yds, was 1 for 1 on fourth down and 6 of 13 on third down. Gronkowski had good numbers and Davis was hot. Add in a D that throttled NDSU and it means YSU will have to play its best to stay with you.

My opinion, you guys are the best in FCS. But you have to play the game where anything “might” happen,lol. Looking forward to the game.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

My Team
    Youngstown State

Regarding penalties, which were bad again today for YSU, Paladin you may be surprised to hear SDSU was ranked 115th in the FCS in fewest penalty yards allowed this year. YSU was 79th. Not good numbers for either squad.

Regardless, they are #1 and we are not. Some of our penalties were very poor today (2 encroachments on 4th down today). If we want to have ANY shot next week, this must be cleaned up. Rabbits will be double-digit favorites.

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Really had a great time at Memorial Stadium. Going out on the road and seeing the player up close and personally changes one's perspective. The YSU family is strong. Coach Phillips is a great human being. I was so impressed when he was the 1st off the team busses and personally gave each and every player a hand shake and a man hung before entering the locker room. Going to Indy State is a hardship. Their facilities for opposing teams are not what a Div 1 school environment should look like. I went to a high school game last week in a very rural county in KY that dwarfed the facilities in Terre Haute.

Onto the game. Although it wasn't pretty, it was a W. The penalties on defense are a head scratcher. I'm not sure why they are all keyed up and so jumpy on the line. You've got to get off the ball on a snap, but being too overly quick causes penalties or over pursuit, which we're seeing over and over.

The offense wasn't too bad. I made the comment that YSU is physically sound but not MVFC big. The eye test in person shows MVFC DLs sizing up and pushing the Oline around pretty good. There was no way the Guins was going to run between the tackles. I'm really disappointed in Oliver. It appears he's not giving 100% if it is not the perfect pass or a bit contested he's not going to fight for it. Maybe looking out for his health to move to the next level. It's possibly time to sit his ass down and let the young, hungry receivers go after it. Mitch Davidson is a super great kid and should have gotten the reins 3 years ago.

Onto the defending national champs and overwhelming current #1. It's a huge task to chop these guys down. I'm not sure a perfect game is enough to do it. SDSU is loaded with MVFC big and physical player. It would be great if they are looking past us for the #1 seed. The Guins need this W for relevancy and ensuring a playoff spot. Going 8-3, I believe the flightless birds will get a seed. 7-4 we all know too well what can happen.

GooooooooGuins!!

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
    If stupidity was an illness liberals and dimocraps would be dead by now

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Youngstown State

Quote Originally Posted by JacksFan40 View Post

I hope you're right, but a lot of people feel a 7-4 NDSU would get in over YSU at 7-4. Time will tell. If SIU doesn't beat NDSU though, there goes YSU's signature win now. I do agree the losses to other good teams were on the road and close so should be accounted for but I'm not sure the committee would.