Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Youngstown State University Penguins - Offseason Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Youngstown State

Exclamation 2023 Youngstown State University Penguins - Offseason Thread

We just wrapped up the 3rd year with Head Coach Doug Phillips at the helm. In his first year (2020 played in spring 2021), the infamous COVID year, YSU went just 1-6. Last year (2021), YSU actually defeated three playoff teams (UIW, MSU, and SIU), but blew a 28pt lead to WIU and a 4th quarter lead at UND and ended the season going just 3-7. This year the Penguins certainly improved record wise going 7-4 and just missing out on the playoffs due to a 5-pt loss at home to UND and a 3-pt loss on the road at MSU.

With things trending in the right direction with Coach Phillips in charge, I thought it would be nice to start up an off-season thread to discuss incoming recruits/transfers, any defections from the current roster, as well as any changes with the coaching staff.

In terms of our schedule next season, here is how it stacks up. We lose NDSU, UND (thanks for the catch!), and WIU on our schedule next year, while gaining back UNI and SDSU.
    • Aug 31 - Valparaiso
    • Sept. 9 - at Ohio State
    • Sept. 16 - Robert Morris
    • Sept. 30 - at UNI
    • Oct. 7 - Southern Illinois
    • Oct. 14 - at South Dakota
    • Oct. 21 - Illinois State
    • Oct. 28 - Missouri State
    • Nov. 4 - at Indiana State
    • Nov. 11 - South Dakota State
    • Nov. 18 - at Murray State

Go Penguins!
    Last edited by BeamMeUp; November 21st, 2022 at 06:47 PM.

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: 2023 Youngstown State University Penguins - Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BeamMeUp View Post
    We just wrapped up the 3rd year with Head Coach Doug Phillips at the helm. In his first year (2020 played in spring 2021), the infamous COVID year, YSU went just 1-6. Last year (2021), YSU actually defeated three playoff teams (UIW, MSU, and SIU), but blew a 28pt lead to WIU and a 4th quarter lead at UND and ended the season going just 3-7. This year the Penguins certainly improved record wise going 7-4 and just missing out on the playoffs due to a 5-pt loss at home to UND and a 3-pt loss on the road at MSU.

With things trending in the right direction with Coach Phillips in charge, I thought it would be nice to start up an off-season thread to discuss incoming recruits/transfers, any defections from the current roster, as well as any changes with the coaching staff.

In terms of our schedule next season, here is how it stacks up. We lose NDSU and WIU on our schedule next year, while gaining back UNI and SDSU.
    • Aug 31 - Valparaiso
    • Sept. 9 - at Ohio State
    • Sept. 16 - Robert Morris
    • Sept. 30 - at UNI
    • Oct. 7 - Southern Illinois
    • Oct. 14 - at South Dakota
    • Oct. 21 - Illinois State
    • Oct. 28 - Missouri State
    • Nov. 4 - at Indiana State
    • Nov. 11 - South Dakota State
    • Nov. 18 - at Murray State

Go Penguins!
    Looks like you miss playing und as well.
    I'm a Democrat for life. trump made sure of that.

My Team
    Youngstown State

2023 Recruits - Updated 11/21/2022
    (My goal is to continue to edit this post throughout the offseason tracking our recruits. Please post any new recruits in the thread and I will edit this post. If I miss any, just private message me and yell BEAM ME UP!)

1. Kayden Davis - RB - Alliance, OH - 3 Star - https://247sports.com/player/kayden-davis-46130702/
    2. DaShawn Carter - DE - McKeesport, PA - https://247sports.com/player/dashawn-carter-46132662/
    3. Michael Gleske - K - Medina, OH -

Sites to Track YSU Recruiting

Transferring Out - Updated 11/24/2022

• Marcus Finkley - DB -
    • Andrew Hardin - DB
    • Jasiah Medley - WR
    Last edited by BeamMeUp; November 24th, 2022 at 09:36 AM.

Because of Y-towns history, and I am older and remember their glory days, I usually pull for the Guins unless they are playing NDSU. Personally, the way they finished the season, I thought they deserved a spot in the playoffs. Never should have lost the UND game! The Valley and FCS football are better with a competitive YSU. Good luck next season!

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Because of Y-towns history, and I am older and remember their glory days, I usually pull for the Guins unless they are playing NDSU. Personally, the way they finished the season, I thought they deserved a spot in the playoffs. Never should have lost the UND game! The Valley and FCS football are better with a competitive YSU. Good luck next season!
    Why not? You obviously didn't watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by F'N Hawks View Post
    Why not? You obviously didn't watch it.
    I watch the entire game. Late in the game they unexplainably quit getting the ball to McLaughin, who UND had no answer for…..Good luck at Weber!

I watch the entire game. Late in the game they unexplainably quit getting the ball to McLaughin, who UND had no answer for…..Good luck at Weber!
    YSU was losing for 90% of the game. They didn't get the ball to him as much because they were behind, not by alot, but behind.
    Poster formerly named:
    Sioux

YSU was losing for 90% of the game. They didn't get the ball to him as much because they were behind, not by alot, but behind.
    If your behind by less than one score 4th qtr, you don’t go away from your bread and butter. Especially when UND seemed to have no answer for him. Even the Midco announcers made a comment on McLaughin not getting the ball late in the game…Not surprised that you saw it differently.

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

If your behind by less than one score 4th qtr, you don’t go away from your bread and butter. Especially when UND seemed to have no answer for him. Even the Midco announcers made a comment on McLaughin not getting the ball late in the game…Not surprised that you saw it differently.
    Sometimes watching YSU football, I think football is fixed..

Lol

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
    If stupidity was an illness liberals and dimocraps would be dead by now

My Team
    Youngstown State

I mean YSU was definitely playing catch-up much of the game, but certainly not 90% of the game. Hell YSU had a lead for almost an entire quarter from the 8 minute mark of the 3rd quarter (prior to that they were tied since half) before surrendering the lead with 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Also, during that stretch YSU had an 11 play drive that resulted in 0 points as they had a missed FG. On that drive YSU had a bizarre 1st down pass call that caused the drive to implode. They were moving it so well and that single play cost them the momentum.