Not so long ago, ETSU released their fall schedule. It will be first season for new head coach George Quarles, who was a flat out beast while at Maryville HS. ETSU brings back a team that has plenty of pieces from last year's title team. Without further ado, let's get started.

Sept 1 Mars Hill - ETSU kicks off the Quarles era against a Mars Hill team that has not played since 2019. The well seasoned Bucs send the crowd home as happy as can be.
Conclusion: Win (1-0)
Sept 10 @ A Citadel - ETSU heads on the road to face a Bulldog squad that got woodshedded the year before. I am not convinced that A Citadel is a threat and I believe the Bucs start the conference slate undefeated.
Conclusion: Win (1-0 SoCon, 2-0)
Sept 17 Furman - Coach Quarles faces off against his former boss and alma mater in the Bucs' conference home opener. I fully expect this one to be a donnybrook and I think the Bucs retooled offense wins the day.
Conclusion: Win (2-0 SoCon, 3-0)
Sept 24 @ Robert Morris - ETSU heads back on the road against a Robert Morris squad that they last faced off (and beat) in 2017. This was not the ETSU team the Colonials hosted in 2015 as the Bucs cruise to another win.
Conclusion: Win (2-0 SoCon, 4-0)
Oct 1 Chattanooga - ETSU returns to face a Chattanooga team that has beaten them twice in the past three seasons (the other being a no-contest). Call me crazy but I think the Bucs successfully defend this house.
Conclusion: Win (3-0 SoCon, 5-0)
Oct 8 @ VMI - ETSU goes back on the road (see a recurring theme here) against a VMI team that suffered a fall off from their title team just a year and change ago. The Bucs prove to be too much this day against a Keydet team that lost a lot.
Conclusion: Win (4-0 SoCon, 6-0)
Oct 15 @ Mercer - ETSU heads south to face a Mercer team looking to avenge last season's loss that knocked them out of the playoffs. The Bears put on a show and sends the home crowd away happy.
Conclusion: Loss (4-1 SoCon, 6-1)
Oct 22 Samford - ETSU faces a Samford side that came across some hard times last season since they last met. The Bucs come out swinging and puts the previous week's loss behind them.
Conclusion: Win (5-1 SoCon, 7-1)
Oct 29 @ Wofford - ETSU goes on the road to face Wofford team that fell apart between them opting out in the spring season and hitting rock bottom in the fall. The Bucs get the second win in as many games vs. Wofford.
Conclusion: Win (6-1 SoCon, 8-1)
Nov 12 Western Carolina - ETSU comes home to face a Western team that came a long way (methinks they will have one conference loss at this point by eyeballing their schedule). Catamounts put up a fight like last year but the Bucs pull away late.
Conclusion: Win (7-1 SoCon, 9-1)
Nov 19 @ Mississippi State - ETSU faces off against a Mississippi State team whose star appears to be on the wane in the SEC West. The Bucs may have a solid team but I think the Bulldogs are the better team.
Conclusion: Loss (7-1 SoCon, 9-2)

My initial gut reaction was 6-2 conference, 8-3 overall but looking at the schedule, I am not convinced. I do see a falloff from last year but I don't think it will be a significant one (see VMI). ETSU's season will be a success if we return to the playoffs. I will be beyond shocked if we pantsed the Pirate and finish undefeated. I still believe the Bucs' biggest threats to repeating are Chattanooga, Mercer and Western Carolina (with a loss to one, maybe two of these teams likely).