http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...=2007710050302

ASU's QB iffy for season
Hurt shoulder may keep Edwards out
by By Keith Jarrett, [email protected]
published October 5, 2007 12:15 am
Read 1 comment »
e-mail this
Print this

ASHEVILLE- Appalachian State starting quarterback Armanti Edwards has been week-to-week with a shoulder injury since the season-opening win at Michigan, and now coach Jerry Moore is wondering if his star sophomore will play again this season.
Advertisement

Edwards, with a 14-1 record as a starter, suffered a sprained (left, throwing) shoulder and a chipped bone against the Wolverines and missed ASU's next two games.

He started the Sept. 22 game against Wofford but left early in the third quarter after taking a hit on the shoulder.

The speedy southpaw sat out last week's win at Elon and is not expected to play in Saturday's 2:30 p.m. homecoming game vs. Gardner-Webb (2-2).

"I'm practicing now and rehabbing the shoulder three times a day with ice and weights," said Edwards, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards and threw for more than 2,000 last year to lead the Mountaineers to a second straight FCS national championship.

"We've got a bye week after this game so hopefully I'll be ready for the next game (Oct. 20 vs. Georgia Southern)."

Moore, for the first time this season, suggested Edwards might not be available this year.

"It's a good guess that he might play against Georgia Southern, but right now he can't play and I don't know if he will play again this season," said Moore.

"It seems like every time he's ready to play he has another setback."

Senior reserve Trey Elder has performed well (44-of-70, 692 yards, seven TDs, 320 yards rushing, four TDs), starting three times and playing in the second half in the loss at Wofford.

"Trey taught me most of what I know about running this offense, so it's not a surprise he's playing well," said Edwards, who is 28-of-41 for 330 yards and three scores and has rushed for 99 yards and a pair of TDs.

No. 5 ASU (4-1), going after its 30th consecutive win at Kidd Brewer Stadium, won last year's meeting 41-6 at Gardner-Webb, a FCS team in the Big South Conference.

"This is a non-conference game and then we have the bye, so I guess that came at a good time," said Edwards.

"By the Georgia Southern game I will have had four weeks to heal," said Edwards. "They told me the only way I could hurt it again is if I took a hit on it, and that's what happened at Wofford.

"But it's getting better and I'm confident I'll play again this year."

BAD news for App fans.