Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Rule Changes to be Approved Later for 2022 Season

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

NCAA Rule Changes to be Approved Later for 2022 Season

Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Re: NCAA Rule Changes to be Approved Later for 2022 Season

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    Yeah it's BS. It's basically an attempt to neuter anybody with option type offense. Our wide receivers were very good at taking down defenders and springing holes. Now they will be hamstrung. It's been slowly creeping towards this. I've heard teams whining about it for years.

AGS FCS Expert
    My Team
    VMI

The "fake" injury will be tough to prove, but making that player sit out the remainder of the opponent's drive may be a deterrent.
    1-AA is tops!!

My Team
    Lindenwood

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Yeah it's BS. It's basically an attempt to neuter anybody with option type offense. Our wide receivers were very good at taking down defenders and springing holes. Now they will be hamstrung. It's been slowly creeping towards this. I've heard teams whining about it for years.
    Are you referring to the cut block rule?

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    The "fake" injury will be tough to prove, but making that player sit out the remainder of the opponent's drive may be a deterrent.
    Yeah…but they’re not doing that. They’re doing this…

“In another tweak that will frustrate many, the committee chose to address alleged injury fakers by implementing an investigation and appeal process.”

…which means nothing, IFBO, as Teams will be hesitant to report, leagues will be hesitant to penalize, penalties will not be applied ex post facto (because they can’t be), the NCAA suits will feel good about doing something to address the issue, and nothing will change.

One SoCon Team used fake injuries on D relentlessly last season. They used it for timeouts in crucial situations, timeouts to rest their D on long drives, and timeouts to kill O momentum. FUBeAR would say they avg’d 2 or 3 extra fake injury timeouts per half. It was maddening!

With some changes within their program, that may change in 2022, but it’s still an issue and needs to be stopped with enough teeth to take a bite out of any Team doing it.

Guise it under “Safety” with the injured Player being out for the rest of the series…although FUBeAR could see offenders putting in “Designated Fakers” for 1 play to ‘steal’ a timeout…so it would need more teeth…such as something like…if the ‘injured’ Player did not start the series, then he and 1 player of the O’s choosing must sit out the rest of the series…hard to track, but fun…huh?

Anyway…this non-action is BS and will have no effect. Hopefully, at least in the SoCon, the change within the offending program will ‘cure’ their ‘injury’ problem.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; March 8th, 2022 at 12:10 PM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Champion

Not the first time I've seen this...but hilarious all the same.

Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

The faking of injuries is a scourge that needs addressing, but my faith that the NCAA will come up with the right solution is very low.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

AGS FCS Champion FormerPokeCenter's Avatar
    My Team
    McNeese State

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Not the first time I've seen this...but hilarious all the same.

This one was great....there was a pretty fun thread about it on the Lumberjack Delphi Forum that I may or may not have instigated....at first, the Lumberjacks were united against me, but by the end of the thread most of them were agreeing that egregious fakery like that was dishonorable...the 4-2-fake a cramp defense was clearly on display against the Aggies...

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    The faking of injuries is a scourge that needs addressing, but my faith that the NCAA will come up with the right solution is very low.
    The crux of the problem, obviously, is how does anyone actual know if it's faked or not. I mean really know.

Without really knowing any rule may very well be unfair in some cases, or not enough in others. Simply taking out a suspected player for more time (two, three plays or the rest of the game) may not be the answer if a third string player came specifically for that purpose. You have to trust that players, and coaches, will behave in a sportsmanlike manner. I am not sure we need another subjective rule in the hands of refs. A ruling that they have no way of verifying, or even grading after the fact, and penalize a team for what may very well have been an actual injury.

And while 90%, or more, of the time any subjective rule may have little or no impact on game results, it's that 10% that will make a rule ultimately good or bad. That 10% may flip a game or championship. I just assigned an arbitrary % and won't necessarily defend those #s.

Now it may well be that simply the threat of a penalty may be enough to stop the most flagrant instances. Kind of like the fake QB slide issue. But who knows.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    if cut blocks do indeed have a higher risk of causing knee injuries, then they should be banned.
    if your style of offense is more harmful to player health and safety, then you should change your style of offense.