Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCon 2021 Predictions and Power Rankings - Week 8

AGS FCS Expert
    My Team
    VMI

Re: SoCon 2021 Predictions and Power Rankings - Week 8

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    he needs to change the culture to move away from one of complacency in into one that expects to win.....
    it takes the right coaching staff, schemes, and patience to start winning.....see Lexington.
    1-AA is tops!!

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    it takes the right coaching staff, schemes, and patience to start winning.....see Lexington.
    (Big Brother hat on) For a moment there, I thought you meant Lexington, Kenturkey. But I agree, VMI is no longer a bunch of slouches.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater was a college football desert in the middle of SEC/SoCon country. But then ETSU leadership brought back football and brought on as head coach:

- Carl Torbush, whose teams were nothing to write home about
    - Randy Sanders, who brought ETSU unprecedented success with two SoCon titles
    - George Quarles, who basically ran the team into the ground AND GOT FIRED! (Bye Felicia!)

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n View Post
    (Big Brother hat on) For a moment there, I thought you meant Lexington, Kenturkey. But I agree, VMI is no longer a bunch of slouches.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    What’s going on with Coach Bell?

winless
    He inherited a mess and that takes time to fix. If you look at their record, they are being competitive (Oklahoma and perhaps Chattanooga excluded) but they were within one score of a pretty good EKU team and a dangerous Samford team. They lost to Mercer, who's looked really good this year except against VMI by 10. Right now he's trying to change the culture of the program and the institution, and he's trying to bring in quality players too.

Look at how long it took Wachenheim at VMI to turn that program around. It was year five before you saw his turnaround and now he has the Keydets playing really good football. VMI had a similar history of being a really bad program. It takes time and I think Bell is a good coach - he'll get there if WCU provides him some resources.

My Team
    Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not a political post nor a post about FBS Football. The purpose of this post is to discuss/inspire discussion (if desired) regarding anyone’s knowledge, thoughts, and / or opinions as to if and how this topic could impact any SoCon Football programs this season. Please contain any responses to this post within this discussion framework. No political opinions or even personal opinions around the ‘right/wrong’ of the issue are appropriate for this discussion. There is an entire Politics Sub-Forum on this board where you can express those kinds of thoughts/opinions to your heart’s content. NOT HERE. Let’s show the world (and Ursus) that SoCon peeps can rationally discuss a relevant FCS Football topic that has political overtones without devolving into picking sides & waving our side’s flag…so to speak.

OK…so…this happened…

Washington State Head Coach & 4 Assistant Coaches terminated.

Anyone foresee anything like this happening within any SoCon Programs or any other FCS Programs?

I can speak about Furman…
    1) I recently viewed FU’s Covid policy on the website. Furman does not have an Employee Vaccination Mandate and forbids the Community from asking anyone else about their vaccination status & treating anyone any differently based upon their vaccination status.
    2) Coach Hendrix said before the season that the entire Staff & Support Staff were fully vaccinated. He also said all but a very few Players were fully vaccinated and he thought those few were going to get fully vaccinated before the season began.

Thus, I do not foresee any similar issues to the WSU situation impacting Furman Football this season, even if the state of South Carolina or the US were able to & did enact an enforceable mandate for all citizens or for citizens in certain classes (such as “college students”)/jobs that would include those within the Football program.

I can partially comment about Mercer…
    1) Mercer does not have a Vaccine Mandate except for this: “Students in health science programs with clinical experiences are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.”
    2) FUBeAR has no idea about the vaccination status of any of Mercer Football’s Coaches or Staff.

Thus, I do not foresee any similar issues to the WSU situation impacting Mercer Football this season, though, without some knowledge of the vax status of the staff (and/or of any Football Players that are also in health science programs with clinical experiences) I can’t be certain, as school, state, and federal policies/laws can change.

So to Revisit this....any staffs that may be holding out (and at odds with the administration's directives on vaxing)?

As far as I know, the Mocs staff are all fully Vaxed!!!!
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!

AGS FCS Expert
    My Team
    VMI

UTC 34; Samford 30
    ETSU 31; Furman 24
    The Citadel 27; WCU 23
    Mercer 31; Wofford 20
    1-AA is tops!!

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Ugh…I feel like we know a good bit about all 9 Teams now, but we kinda see some strengths & some weaknesses in all of them, so it’s making picking challenging - gotta think about match-ups, recent performance, injuries, personnel changes, etc. Hence, the new “Narrated Guesses Header.”

Diving in…the shallow end…headfirst…
    Away Home Time Narrated Guesses
    Chattanooga Samford 1:00P Mocs had a war last week & bullpups O took the 2nd half off of their game with Woffy. Letdown for Chatt? Nah…don’t see it. HomewoodHounds keep Welch upright long enough to avoid the MaxwellMash on a few occasions to find some Chatt DB’s out of position, but Mocks ground game is a freight train & sammy’s run D is Nell Fenwick.

Chattanooga 35 - Samford 24
    Western Carolina The Citadel 2:00P Hopefully for CIT’s HC, the 2 PM kickoff time is exactly perfect to suit his and his Team’s biorhythms…and, hopefully, he’s had an opportunity to instruct the SoCon Officials which penalties they are allowed to correctly call on the bellhops, at what point in the game, and which bellhop illegal acts they must ignore, at what point in the game, to earn his respect. Despite ‘winning’ “every single statistical category” (except the score)…and the non-statistical category of making plays when they mattered, the SamsoniteSlingers took a physical beating last week, while the Cats rested & rehabbed in the cool invigorating mountain air. WCU comes into the half a-stadium (like they had in Cullowhee in the 80’s) healed up and shocks a wounded, whining, downcast bellhop squad. Coach Bell gets the Gatorade bath…

WCU 27 - Once of a Citadellian Nature 21
    ETSU Furman 2:00P Furman’s run D ain’t gonna roll over. They will make you earn it & earn it when it matters (which ain’t on some stats sheet). That presents a DIE-lemma for the LandShipSailors. IF FU can make them think they need to throw it, game over…as long as the ‘Dins lock down WR Hussey. ETSU’s D will also present a challenge to FU’s O, but that is looking better now…and FUBeAR thinks this week will be both a Test & Passing w/Flying Colors for FU’s young QB. In an old-fashioned SoCon SlobberKnocker, the men in Purple prevail

Furman 21 - ETSU 20
    Wofford Mercer 6:00P Glad this one is a night game. If the Mercer crew that failed to show up to play Football vs. the Keydets last week, takes the field, FUBeAR recommends a lighting malfunction ‘opt out’ (The Teary-ers know about that) and a “No Contest” outcome. Before last week, FUBeAR would have projected this game as 45-7 Bears, but last week happened…for both Teams. Woffy is better with their FR QB, but only enough to slow down the unraveling of the program. VMI whupped the Bears hindquarters from pillar to post…no doubt about that…BUT, they really did have everything that can go wrong, go BAD-WRONG last week. Cannot imagine that happening again. FUBeAR doesn’t see the Mercer D Coaches running the same scheme (forgot to turn the page on their Samford game plan, apparently) against Woffy that they tried, with craptastic results, to run against VMI. 4 or 5 in the box vs. 7 es no bueno! If they do, Woffy’s good RB’s will ROMP. Also, think Mercer’s fixes some of the O issues they had and Bears win a way-too-close one.

Mercer 31 - Wofford 24

Power Ranking - Big Shakeup

1) Furman - loss to Mercer further in rear view, nice test upcoming
    2) VMI - loss to CIT further in rear view, Dominant Mercer win & Chatt win move Keydets up…a lot
    3) Chattanooga -
    think they are all the way back from VMI’s derailment. Not yet. A lot more to prove
    4) ETSU - come back this week in GVL or watch dream season slip away?
    5) Mercer - gotta tumble after that debacle. Hopefully, the Bears find a good Vet this week & cure whatever they had Saturday afternoon. It was a BAD case of it.
    6) Samford - still better than even their fans think they are / still in the mix

7) Once a Citadel
    - hard to field a winning team that is undermanned AND being led to ceaselessly whine about kickoff times & penalties (that were correct calls).
    8) WCU - just may find that a week’s rest & an opponent that just went thru a tough, physical game, just the right combination to get Coach Bell his 1st win.
    9) Wofford - QB change & another loss doesn’t lift these beaten pups
    Last edited by FUBeAR; October 21st, 2021 at 09:50 PM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Power Rankings:

1.) ETSU – I’m still going to put them here only because of overall consistency, nobody else is close in that regard
    2.) VMI – Wow, coming on strong; rumors of their being Cinderella for one season are greatly exaggerated
    3.) Chattanooga – Solid team, as I’ve said all year, but they have issues keeping it together week in and week out
    4.) Furman – They seem to have an identity issue
    5.) Mercer – Suffered an epic beat down, it happens occasionally, but were they a bit overrated?
    6.) Samford – Not bad, not good, just Samford
    7.) The Citadel – Suffering some consistency issues on O
    8.) Wofford – another team that bounces between brilliance and mediocrity depending on the week, or which half of a game
    9.) Western Carolina – painful process for them, but they are still not terrible

Picks:

WCU @ The Citadel – WCU has a fairly good Offense; but it will all hinge on the Dogs Offense; If they get 35+ minutes of possession, they probably win; it will be interesting to see how the WCU defense matches up and how the Bulldogs execute - 41-33

ETSU @ Furman – the last three games have been one score affairs; it will kind of depend on how ETSU responds; I think their Defense is pretty good and Furman is hit or miss on O and they didn’t exactly pile on the yards last week; I’m looking for ETSU to bounce back nicely – 34-23

Wofford @ Mercer – This is another instance of seeing if a team can bounce back; Mercer was embarrassed last week; I think they put it back together and make all the adjustments they need to overcome Wofford at home although Wofford has a habit of hanging around, just not winning lately - 28-21

Chattanooga at Samford – With how Chatty has played this year at times, and how Samford plays all the time for the last few years, who the hell knows; so I predict Samford goes up by 28, Chatty comes back to go up by three, and Samford ties it with 00 on the clock and they play 10 OTs where neither scores so they call it a tie and go home; each team has blown leads they had no business blowing; both are basically good teams; seriously, Chattanooga has taken the last 6 so I’ll go with them - 31-28
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post

7) The Citadel
    - hard to field a winning team that is undermanned AND being led to ceaselessly whine about kickoff times & penalties (that were correct calls).

That it is a foul was never in question. Just the judgement call made. The exact verbiage is here:

ARTICLE 7.
    [...]
    c. It is illegal for any player to be clearly out of bounds when he initiates a block against an opponent who is out of bounds. The spot of the foul is where the blocker crosses the sideline in going out of bounds.

The issue was always whether he was clearly out of bounds when he INITIATED the block. It is a judgment call certainly and the video did not get the entire blocking action from start to finish, just the finish. It only showed the later half when our blocker was right on the sideline. He was not "clearly" out of bounds the entire time.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    That it is a foul was never in question. Just the judgement call made. The exact verbiage is here:

ARTICLE 7.
    [...]
    c. It is illegal for any player to be clearly out of bounds when he initiates a block against an opponent who is out of bounds. The spot of the foul is where the blocker crosses the sideline in going out of bounds.

The issue was always whether he was clearly out of bounds when he INITIATED the block. It is a judgment call certainly and the video did not get the entire blocking action from start to finish, just the finish. It only showed the later half when our blocker was right on the sideline. He was not "clearly" out of bounds the entire time.
    First of all, that the rule was “never in question” is not true. It was obvious from his manic post-game interview that CIT’s HC had no idea that this rule existed. The ESPN replay broadcast does not provide us ‘outsiders’ with 100% perfect confirmation of the call that was made. That is true. It looked reasonable to assume the call was correct, but not 100% verifiable.

But, as has been widely reported in the Charleston media, the whining continued after the game and the SoCon was asked to review the play…not to confirm the rule; that takes a 30 second Google search. To review the play, the SoCon would have had access to all ESPN views (same as replay officials have - not just the broadcast view) AND they would have had access to both Furman’s & CIT’s videos - usually a wide sideline, a tight sideline, and an End Zone view. The SoCon Director of Officials confirmed the call was correct and advised The Citadel of such. Yet, the whining continued over the 1st half of the HC’s Show released on Wed. of this week…without, of course, mentioning the Director of SoCon Officials’ prior-to-taping confirmation that the call was made correctly and that had been communicated to the, apparently, hearing challenged HC of the bellhops.

If you want to also confirm that he must be vision-challenged, go watch that ESPN replay again and go to the play (next CIT possession, 1st play) that CIT’s WR, #22, was called for blocking FU’s #1 in the back. The foul was plainly obvious to anyone watching the game, except, apparently, CIT’s HC. The foul occurred right in front of him about 3 yards from the sideline…and you can watch him start to go ballistic on the Official who, again, correctly called the penalty.

Neither of these plays/penalties lost the game for CIT. The game was lost because CIT could not convert on 4th & short 4x (therefore piling up a bunch of meaningless yards - useful only for spewing copious amounts of self-congratulation). Missing 2 makeable FG’s also added to the meaningless yards total, but resulted in ZERO POINTS. Essentially, those are 6 ADDITIONAL turnovers. One was the last play of the half…so we’ll call it 5. How many games can you recall CIT (or any Team) winning when they had 8 TURNOVERS? Finally, CIT lost because their well-rested Defense could not stop Furman’s Offense, playing without their best & All SoCon RB the entire game, from smashing the ball between the tackles 7 straight plays, at about 5 yds a clip, late in the 4th quarter, to score the game-clinching TD.

Also, CIT’s HC would do well to learn (or remember) that 1 running play for 90 yards + 6 points is worth exactly 6 points more (7 really) than 22 4.5 yard running plays for 99 yards and ZERO POINTS. So, loser-bragging about #of plays, time of possession, and total yards after a double-digit loss is just embarrassing… to most, um, normal people.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; October 22nd, 2021 at 07:24 AM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL