Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CAA In Season Discussions Fall 2021

FCS Champion
    My Team
    New Hampshire

CAA In Season Discussions Fall 2021

The CAA needed a thread to talk about any and all things beyond the Pick-em threads. Because our games are televised primarily on FLO TV and regional networks, AGS posters from other conferences are not watching many, if any, CAA games and few threads or posts delve into CAA issues.

The first observation I'd make is that there is greater parity than ever in the conference. Just look at the scores last week and how difficult it will be to pick the winners this upcoming Saturday. For fifteen years we've heard coaches say how tough it was to win in the CAA and that every weekend was a challenge. Many years that was, "sort of" true but not completely by any measure. The last four seasons we've had very good parity, once you took JMU out of the conversation.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

First Class FCS Ruler Sitting Bull's Avatar

Re: CAA In Season Discussions Fall 2021

Itís still early though a few takeaways I would have going into Week 6:

Villanova now is my current favorite to win it
    JMU is vulnerable as shown at UNH. I think they will lose 2 CAA games.
    Delaware looks softer than expected
    URI and W&M have the position so far to be the surprise team(s)
    W&M has a schedule now favorable for a 4-0 start, the finish though is brutal with UD, Nova, JMU and UR
    Iím now fascinated to watch Elonís balance of the season and performance of Davis Cheek.
    Richmond in early trouble starting 0-2 with games still left against JMU, Delaware and @W&M

From W&M perspective, have been surprised and impressed with the defense overall and the play of freshman QB Darius Wilson. I hope London sticks with him.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

I try to check in on as many FCS games as possible

One thing that is pretty obvious is the CAA overall just doesnít have the playmakers at the skill positions I see in several other conferences

You could counter that opinion by saying its the Defense which are still pretty good

but CAA is just not as talented as it was years ago

Top FCS Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    One thing that is pretty obvious is the CAA overall just doesnít have the playmakers at the skill positions I see in several other conferences
    I've tried to watch a couple of CAA games this year and just...couldn't. It was either change the channel or fall asleep. I think it starts at QB -- Elon's guy is the only CAA QB in the top 15 of FCS passing -- but I also couldn't name a standout receiver in the CAA and the stats say that there isn't one. Across the league, the ball simply isn't going downfield with any consistency and short passes aren't resulting in a lot of YAC. In theory, that should mean that team rushing offense is up but that simply isn't the case either. You could say that the defenses are that good but I would counter by saying that the defenses look good because the offenses don't.

Overall, it feels like teams are playing toward the middle. The teams at the top of the standings are doing just enough to get out with the win and the teams at the bottom are scrapping for a break that just doesn't come.

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th-13.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	32164

........MADISON WAS COMIN' OFFAH BYE....ON DUH ROAD.......PLAYIN' UH 77-7 LOSER......WHIFF STIFFEST TEST ON SKED......ON HORIZON....AWQUE!

.........? IS....IS RHODEY REAL.......DATES WHIFF YOU-DEE/'NOVA................REST UH SKED....APPEARS MANAGEABLE........BRAWK!

...........DELAWARE'S O-LINE IS PRETTY HEALTHY....IN LAST 2 GAMES....LEE 100YDS + IN EACH.......DEFENSE IS POTENT...........ON AGIN' OFFAH GIN'.......HEALTH UH HENDERSON......DUH ?

.......'NOVA IS AS REAL AS MADISON...........COMIN' OFFAH BYE.......WHIFF OR WHIFF OUT....DUH RUST?

......REST IS JES' FAIR TA MIDDLIN'........ .500 +/-..................AWK!

First Class FCS Ruler acbearkat's Avatar
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

James Madison is clearly the class of the Colonial right now. They had three turnovers against UNH, but defensively they played well. The Dukes are still national championship contenders. It will be interesting to see how UNH plays against Dartmouth, which is coming off a shellacking of Penn this past Friday night (Penn didn't look good in that game). I think the New Hampshire/Rhode Island matchup could determine which of those teams gets a playoff bid, especially if Rhode Island doesn't beat UMass. New Hampshire has some talent, there's no question about that. James Madison has Villanova at home this weekend.
    December 2013 graduate of Sam Houston

Follow me on Twitter @etexbearkat

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    I've tried to watch a couple of CAA games this year and just...couldn't. It was either change the channel or fall asleep. I think it starts at QB -- Elon's guy is the only CAA QB in the top 15 of FCS passing -- but I also couldn't name a standout receiver in the CAA and the stats say that there isn't one. Across the league, the ball simply isn't going downfield with any consistency and short passes aren't resulting in a lot of YAC. In theory, that should mean that team rushing offense is up but that simply isn't the case either. You could say that the defenses are that good but I would counter by saying that the defenses look good because the offenses don't.

Overall, it feels like teams are playing toward the middle. The teams at the top of the standings are doing just enough to get out with the win and the teams at the bottom are scrapping for a break that just doesn't come.
    I think you just agreed with me in a very eloquent way

Top FCS Ruler

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    I think you just agreed with me in a very eloquent way
    You are both kind and correct.

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

.....IN DUH FIRST FIVE WEEKS UH FCS........CONFERENCE PLAY OWNLAH....11 GAMES........CAA HAS SCORED 517 POINTS BETWEENS US......................TWO UH THOSE GAMES...WERE RI 16/ALBANY 14......&......DELAWARE 20/ALBANY 15......LOOKS TA ME LIKE THERE'S LOTTAH GAME ACTION....GOIN' ON.....................BRAWK!

FCS Champion
    My Team
    New Hampshire

There are a bunch of excellent QBs currently playing in the CAA. Let's start with Daniel Smith (Villanova), Kasim Hill (URI), Jeff Undercuffler (Alb), Cole Johnson (JMU), Tyquell Fields (SB) and Davis Cheek (Elon). Combine that with another group that is out for the season, or walking wounded: Nolan Henderson(DE), Joe Mancuso(Rich), Max Brosmer(UNH) and Joe Fagnano (ME). So 10 of 12 teams came into the 2021 season solid at the QB position with a proven guy who had at least the 2019 season and the 2021 Spring behind them as a starter.

If you can't name a standout wide receiver it must be because you are falling asleep or not watching any games. You may not find a WR that is targeted on 50% of the pass plays and therefore put up 100+ receiving yards every game, but that is because to be competitive against a solid defense you need to distribute the ball to a variety of receivers.

I think it is MUCH more common at the FCS level that the offenses look good because the defenses aren't, than the counter argument made in posts above.

I do agree that the defenses are the strength of the CAA up and down the conference And our teams know their conference opponents well and frequently game plan very well. There really is no dead weight in the CAA. The teams that end up in the bottom 1/3 of CAA standings this year would be able to roll over the bottom 1/3 of every FCS conference except for the MVFC. When I look at the remaining CAA schedule for UNH, I really don't see a game that is not both winnable and losable.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber