Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lamar

Major FCS Advocate SpreadTheWord's Avatar
    My Team
    Incarnate Word

Re: Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by katss07 View Post
    I still donít get the Shultz firing. There had to have been something going on behind the scenes. I think someone has said that boosters didnít like him, which I donít understand. Maybe someone can explain. The guy had Lamar in the playoffs by year two. They played some hard nosed football against us two years in a row. They beat Sam 2/3 times under him. Was the step back from 7-4 to 4-8 in year two a big enough slide to fire the guy? The only coach who brought any success to Lamar post reinstatement?

AC is right, itís disappointing that Lamar isnít better than they are. He mentions their recruiting grounds, but thatís really only half of it. Provost Umphrey is a very nice stadium and probably the best FCS venue Iíve ever visited. It blows Bowers out of the water. Their end zone facility looks very nice and they have plenty of suites connected to the adjacent Montagne Center. Theyíve got a larger endowment than Sam or SFA They should be competing for recruits in East Texas. I donít get it.
    Provost Umphrey is a tremendous FCS stadium. Their visitors locker rooms were definitely the nicest out of any away venue we played in, too. They used to draw around 12k-14k in attendance those first few years when they brought football back. Now, they're lucky to get even half that.

First Class FCS Ruler Puddin Tane's Avatar
    My Team
    Lamar

Where to start

- why did schultz get canned. Hated by everyone. Turned us into JUCO U.
    -Morgan was a qb at Air Force back in the day

now, in his defense. Our roster is 80-85% freshmen or ďcovidĒ freshmen. His philosophy (which i like) was that you build a program thru freshmen, not juco. I like that, but dont know if its doable with todays play or i leave kids. I also think, since he was a lightly recruited, undersized kid, that that is what he is recruiting. Schultz did leave the cupboard totally bare, but more than 1/2 of morgans first recruiting class has left, including every qb that could pass and wasnt ďdual threatĒ..a term i fricking hate.

but, after schultz, enthusiasm was down as was attendance. How did the powers that be decide to rectify that? With a damn coach running a service academy offense? Just shoot me. Went to the acu game, it was like being in the library. There is absolutely zero enthusiasm. Its boring. Zero entertainment. Almost like a punishment.
    And morgan said the offense was too complicated ! They are gonna simplify! So, i guess were down to 2 plays.

yeas, i am biased. I think i college, especially fcs, you can pass on dang near anybody. And its a heck of alot more exciting than 2.8 yards a rush

i didnt like the hire but im not big money that picked him. Ida gone with Scotty Walden (now at Peay) or possibly Kerwin Bell. Still have growing pains but at least we might complete a pass and get past midfield.

he wont get fired. I figure we have this season and two more.

and no, we are not the worst team in fcs. That would be NoCo. And hbu, Nwst would beat the stuffing out of us.

My Team
    Lamar

And for the golden triangle talent . I think itís overrated. Theres some good kids, but the good ones go Fbs. But hate to say it, but i believe the majority of bmt. Port arthur, wo-s kids are dumber than a sack of rocks and couldnt pass college classes.

My Team
    Lamar

I think it goes hand in hand in his recruiting the little overlooked like he was players

and its not exactly a triple optionÖbut just as boring. Im not sure what you would label it. A morphed flexbone with the occasional te handoff up the middle and a wr running 10 yards deep behind the qb almost every play. Theres not alot of the typical run wide, qb keep or pitch. A bunch of run up the middle behind an all freshmen line.

My Team
    Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    I'm sure it doesn't help that some annoying school up north keeps stealing many of their better players.
    LU North!

I think with one exception, those are our ďstudentĒ athletes on the 8-10 year degree plan

Quote Originally Posted by acbearkat View Post
    Jacksonville State could have 10 turnovers in that game with 15 penalties and still win by 40 points over Lamar. I'm being both serious and facetious and at the same time. In the spring, in Beaumont, we had four turnovers and beat Lamar 62-7, as they also had four turnovers. Without the four turnovers, we probably score at least 80. It was an ugly game to watch. I watched Lamar play my first year at Sam (2011) and we beat them 66-0. Granted, they had just brought back football, so they were really bad.
    Never, Never, Never underestimate a JSU team. Our secondary is very forgiving and Lamar will feel free and relaxed. Not only will be have 15 penalties Lamar may get 15 first downs from JSU penalties. This is a special JSU team even more undisciplined than any of the other great undisciplined team in JSU history.

Stay tuned guys you may see things you cant even see at your local traveling carnival. Step right up guys step right up!!
    Jacksonville State University
    The only school to win the Triple Crown of National Championships--Football, Basketball, and Baseball

www.gojaxstate.net

My Team
    Lamar

Quote Originally Posted by Cocky View Post
    Never, Never, Never underestimate a JSU team. Our secondary is very forgiving and Lamar will feel free and relaxed. Not only will be have 15 penalties Lamar may get 15 first downs from JSU penalties. This is a special JSU team even more undisciplined than any of the other great undisciplined team in JSU history.

Stay tuned guys you may see things you cant even see at your local traveling carnival. Step right up guys step right up!!
    we dont pass

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Tane View Post
    we dont pass
    Thats a shame, we dont stop the pass
    The only school to win the Triple Crown of National Championships--Football, Basketball, and Baseball

www.gojaxstate.net

First Class FCS Ruler acbearkat's Avatar
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

Here's a direct quote from Puddin on Big Red Insider talking about Lamar:

"You could beat this team with 3 d lineman, a twirler, 2 tuba players, a cheerleader and 4 flag girls."
    December 2013 graduate of Sam Houston

Follow me on Twitter @etexbearkat

Quote Originally Posted by acbearkat View Post
    Here's a direct quote from Puddin on Big Red Insider talking about Lamar:

"You could beat this team with 3 d lineman, a twirler, 2 tuba players, a cheerleader and 4 flag girls."
    We have a helluva band but no tuba players ( Southerners us 20Js) and not twirlers (Southerners have ballerinas). Looking more and more like a L for JSU.

www.gojaxstate.net