Quote Originally Posted by katss07 View Post
I still don’t get the Shultz firing. There had to have been something going on behind the scenes. I think someone has said that boosters didn’t like him, which I don’t understand. Maybe someone can explain. The guy had Lamar in the playoffs by year two. They played some hard nosed football against us two years in a row. They beat Sam 2/3 times under him. Was the step back from 7-4 to 4-8 in year two a big enough slide to fire the guy? The only coach who brought any success to Lamar post reinstatement?

AC is right, it’s disappointing that Lamar isn’t better than they are. He mentions their recruiting grounds, but that’s really only half of it. Provost Umphrey is a very nice stadium and probably the best FCS venue I’ve ever visited. It blows Bowers out of the water. Their end zone facility looks very nice and they have plenty of suites connected to the adjacent Montagne Center. They’ve got a larger endowment than Sam or SFA They should be competing for recruits in East Texas. I don’t get it.
Provost Umphrey is a tremendous FCS stadium. Their visitors locker rooms were definitely the nicest out of any away venue we played in, too. They used to draw around 12k-14k in attendance those first few years when they brought football back. Now, they're lucky to get even half that.