Page 75 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: FCS Realignment

Re: FCS Realignment

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthehole View Post
    It very likey kills the MEAC, but not necessarily the Big South.

Delaware State and Morgan State go to the NEC.

Norfolk State, NC Central, and SC State to the Big South.

Coppin State and UMES hopes for an invite somewhere or are forced to explore D-II options.
    SC State will be going back to the SIAC if the MEAC goes away.

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    A 2nd Paladin who would strongly support having A&T in the SoCon!

Heck, if they’ve resolved their University financial issues and seem to be back on a sustainable track, FUBeAR would like to see the SoCon pick up SC State also. Not sure how the SoCon peeps a little further down I-26 might feel about that tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
    Their enrollment needs to get back to where it was pre-2012 before their financials are fixed.
    If SC State wasn't in such poor shape as it is now, I would totally support them in the Socon. There's definitely a, shall I say, DEI angle for having an HBCU in the Socon when schools like Furman and Wofford are having their own little campus conversations about race.

But SC State, unfortunately, is in really bad shape, and it would not be a good idea to add them just because we could add them.

The rumors about CofC, W&M, Elon, and Richmond musing over the Socon have fired up on twitter again. I don't believe them quite yet because the rumors about the "southern CAA division" seem more credible at this point.

So, for the Socon, it looks like there's three, maybe 4 different scenarios for realignment:

1) (the most likely) UNCG to the CAA. No additions, no substractions. Everyone else fits in and likes the deal they have, I think

2) UNCG to the CAA, a bunch of other teams from the Big South (Howard, Hampton) go to the CAA, with Richmond and W&M etc staying. At this point, I think the Socon may go for Campbell, who will be looking for a football conference. They have solid albeit unaccomplished basketball program, they fit in academically, I think the Socon would go for them. It's possible, having lost a triangle-adjacent school, they may go for A&T as well, who would also lack a conference

3) UNCG to the CAA, and the rumors about Elon, Charleston, etc are true and go through. In that situation, I think it's possible that Campbell or even A&T gets an invite to the CAA

4) something else!

Honestly, all of these rumors i think come down to travel expenses. What's challenging to figure out is that fact that the CAA isn't as geographically distant as you'd think. Delaware and Towson are closer to Richmond than any socon school other than VMI, I think. I think the socon has more closer teams than the CAA does to those Virginia schools, so it's really about capping your travel costs more than anything.

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Jax State

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    7 gets you basketball, 6 for most other sports, 8 for FBS football. Not ideal to operate at the minimum.
    Don’t you have to sponsor two men’s team sports? They’d have to take the BS football schools as affiliates to be able to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Class FCS Ruler Sandlapper Spike's Avatar
    My Team
    The Citadel
    Land of the crescent moon and the palmetto tree

Quote Originally Posted by Reign of Terrier View Post

1) (the most likely) UNCG to the CAA. No additions, no substractions. Everyone else fits in and likes the deal they have, I think
    The problem with this scenario, from the SoCon's perspective, is not football or men's basketball, but other sports. It would leave the league with seven baseball schools, six softball schools, seven women's basketball schools, and just five men's soccer schools (because Belmont, currently in the league for men's soccer, is joining the MVC for all sports).

That's too thin on several fronts (men's soccer being the immediate problem, obviously). I don't think the SoCon could stand pat if UNCG left. It would have to be more proactive.

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Western Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlapper Spike View Post
    The problem with this scenario, from the SoCon's perspective, is not football or men's basketball, but other sports. It would leave the league with seven baseball schools, six softball schools, seven women's basketball schools, and just five men's soccer schools (because Belmont, currently in the league for men's soccer, is joining the MVC for all sports).

That's too thin on several fronts (men's soccer being the immediate problem, obviously). I don't think the SoCon could stand pat if UNCG left. It would have to be more proactive.
    Is there really any real indication UNCG would move to the CAA? or is it just wishful thinking on the part of CAA fans?

Visit The Catamount Sports Forum and Purple & Gold

"Go Cats"
    RIP - catamount man -Richard McClellan

"FUBeAR majors in “PARTIALLY TRUE, POSSIBLY MISLEADING.” It’s his daily stock-in-trade"

My Team
    Wofford

I didn't consider that. So I guess maybe scenario 2 is the most likely because once Hampton leaves the big south, the Big south is pretty much SOL in terms of autobids, I think

My Team
    Wofford

Also, I think it's possible (if not entirely likely) that there's a tug of war going on behind the scenes between the Socon and CAA for Charleston/Richmond/W&M/Elon. Those travel expenses to the northeast are just crazy. The socon isn't super close either, but I'm pretty sure most teams are the equivalent distance of Albany (or so, and much worse if you're Charleston).

It would make sense why the Charleston AD denied it, probably as a negotiating tactic.

First Class FCS Ruler Sandlapper Spike's Avatar
    My Team
    The Citadel
    Land of the crescent moon and the palmetto tree

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Is there really any real indication UNCG would move to the CAA? or is it just wishful thinking on the part of CAA fans?
    I don't think it is solely wishful thinking (that article in The Richmond Times-Dispatch was obviously based on something), but I also am not sure what benefit moving to the CAA would really provide UNCG.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

Just read on Twitter than CUSA is talking to New Mexico State, along with Liberty and UConn (football only)

Conference USA in negotiations with New Mexico State, Liberty, UConn: Source - The Athletic
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

My Team
    Wofford

I don't think it is solely wishful thinking (that article in The Richmond Times-Dispatch was obviously based on something), but I also am not sure what benefit moving to the CAA would really provide UNCG.
    Yeah, I agree. I think they *need* UNCG to keep the CAA worth it for Charleston and Elon, but if they can't get UNCG, then they'll lose Charleston and Elon. If they lose Charleston and Elon, maybe adding Hampton and Howard sweetens the deal for them to stay, but most of the socon is a lot closer to them than the CAA.

According to the William and Mary fan blog, there's also a concern that an influx of basketball only schools in the CAA puts the football sponsoring ones at a financial disadvantage in basketball.

I think the most likely explanation is that there's a tug of war going on right now behind the scenes that'll probably be resolved publicly in the next few weeks.