Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: FCS Realignment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First Class FCS Ruler acbearkat's Avatar
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

FCS Realignment

Back in February, the dominoes of conference realignment fell when Sam Houston, SFA, Lamar, Abilene Christian, Central Arkansas, Jacksonville State, and Eastern left the Southland and Ohio Valley Conferences to join the WAC and ASUN (SHSU, SFA, Lamar, and ACU to the WAC; JSU, UCA, and EKU to the ASUN). Then this past week, the biggest dominoes of realignment fell when word that Texas and Oklahoma had been having talks joining the SEC (UT and OU joining the SEC will soon be official, possibly in the next 48 hours). That story was broken by Houston Chronicle, reporter Brent Zwernerman, who covers Texas A&M for the Houston Chronicle and is a Sam Houston alum, so that's where the FCS angle of that story comes in. I have a hard time believing that the WAC/ASUN Challenge is the only thing we'll see in FCS conference realignment over the next year to two years. In my opinion, the next domino to fall is the Louisiana football playing schools will leave the Southland and join other conferences, possibly split up between the WAC and ASUN. What do all of you think will happen next in terms of FCS realignment? If you ask me, the Southland, the conference my alma mater (Sam Houston) had been in for around 25 years, is all but dead.

What we have known for years in terms of college football is quickly coming to an end, and it's one part exciting, and another part anxiety provoking. Everyone just needs to buckle their seat belts, because realignment is kicking into high gear, and it's unlikely to be long before see the next domino fall in terms of FCS realignment.
    December 2013 graduate of Sam Houston

Follow me on Twitter @etexbearkat

My Team
    Idaho Vandals

Re: FCS Realignment

It is all going to start with the Big XII once UT and OU depart. I think they will make strong moves to replace the teams that have already left and the teams leaving. With Colorado and Utah joining the PAC12, I can see a move by the PAC12 to take CSU and USU. The Big XII will move to get Houston, SMU. Other teams like Rice and Tulsa could be brought in as well.

As for FCS, I can see the Big West bringing back FCS football. Cal Poly, Sac. St., and UC Davis being joined by San Diego. Will the Big East bring back FCS football?

And, the top of the FCS tier is about to do a move up. Once the AAC loses teams, JMU, the Montana and Dakota schools could see offers from the G5.

As you said, buckle up. There is going to be some epic spit happening shortly.

BASHER

Not sure of the timeframe but the top funded teams in FCS and the bottom funded teams in FBS will be combined.

The big dogs will be kicking everyone off the porch and we will have a super hard time getting back on. Money games will be a thing of the past.
    Jacksonville State University
    The only school to win the Triple Crown of National Championships--Football, Basketball, and Baseball

www.gojaxstate.net

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Sam Houston

First, I think the Big XII is dead. The remaining teams will disperse, with most joining the AAC as the best football non-super conference and the best basketball conference in the country. Second, as Cocky mentioned, whoever is left out in FBS will combine with upper tier FCS to form a new division of college football. It will governed by the NCAA, unlike the P2 or P4 or whatever the super conferences call themselves who will be unbound by any outside regulation. We have learned a lot about college athletic (especially football) conferences and what works and what doesn't over the years. Regardless of the current, and new, conference affiliations, the leftovers should start from scratch and create a competitive, reasonably equitable, regionally tight, division/conference system. There are still enough high profile schools that it would be appealing to some network to offer a decent (not anywhere near the new P4) media rights deal. I could see some upstart network wishing to challenge the ESPN death star and promote the new division on their own media platforms. Instead of the conferences negotiating their own deals, we should adhere to the theory of "power in numbers" and negotiate as an entire entity. I have no idea how the details might work out, but this is a wonderful opportunity for a forward thinking leader to build something sustainable, equitable, competitive, and profitable for all institutions.
    The Moth don't care if the Flame is real.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    First, I think the Big XII is dead. The remaining teams will disperse, with most joining the AAC as the best football non-super conference and the best basketball conference in the country. Second, as Cocky mentioned, whoever is left out in FBS will combine with upper tier FCS to form a new division of college football. It will governed by the NCAA, unlike the P2 or P4 or whatever the super conferences call themselves who will be unbound by any outside regulation. We have learned a lot about college athletic (especially football) conferences and what works and what doesn't over the years. Regardless of the current, and new, conference affiliations, the leftovers should start from scratch and create a competitive, reasonably equitable, regionally tight, division/conference system. There are still enough high profile schools that it would be appealing to some network to offer a decent (not anywhere near the new P4) media rights deal. I could see some upstart network wishing to challenge the ESPN death star and promote the new division on their own media platforms. Instead of the conferences negotiating their own deals, we should adhere to the theory of "power in numbers" and negotiate as an entire entity. I have no idea how the details might work out, but this is a wonderful opportunity for a forward thinking leader to build something sustainable, equitable, competitive, and profitable for all institutions.
    Why would the Big 12 throw in the towel and fold joining the AAC instead of raiding the AAC for schools like Houston and Cincinnati to replace Texas and OU?
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Sam Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Why would the Big 12 throw in the towel and fold joining the AAC instead of raiding the AAC for schools like Houston and Cincinnati to replace Texas and OU?
    Because they realize that, as a group, they don't have a lot in common except being outcasts. They will also recognize that they are permanently on the outside looking in with regard to football. Basketball, and the tourney revenue it creates, will be the priority. It will also be easier to create an new large conference out of a conference that is currently intact.
    The Moth don't care if the Flame is real.

AGS FCS Champion

Because they realize that, as a group, they don't have a lot in common except being outcasts. They will also recognize that they are permanently on the outside looking in with regard to football. Basketball, and the tourney revenue it creates, will be the priority. It will also be easier to create an new large conference out of a conference that is currently intact.
    I just don't see the benefit to the remaining Big 12 schools. OU and especially Texas haven't really added much to conference in terms of basketball. The remaining Big 12 is still a very good basketball conference and they would be an attractive destination for the AAC elite. If I'm one of the remaining Big 12 schools (and there are still 8 of them as far as we know) I have no interest in starting some mega-conference with the likes of East Carolina and Temple.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

My Team
    Sam Houston State

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I just don't see the benefit to the remaining Big 12 schools. OU and especially Texas haven't really added much to conference in terms of basketball. The remaining Big 12 is still a very good basketball conference and they would be an attractive destination for the AAC elite. If I'm one of the remaining Big 12 schools (and there are still 8 of them as far as we know) I have no interest in starting some mega-conference with the likes of East Carolina and Temple.
    Oklahoma has been a solid basketball school for years. Texas is more of a football and baseball school than anything else. Texas has had a good men’s basketball program over the years, but not one of the elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Jax State

The Big XII has a bigger “name” than the AAC despite losing Oklahoma and Texas. They could cherry pick the cream. Looking at the 2019 standings, the top five teams were Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, SMU, and Navy. Then Tulsa had a solid season last year. Any four of those would boost the league and get them into major markets. Navy being football only might be a non-starter but any of the others would jump at a chance to get in a more respected conference in a tighter footprint.

My Team
    Sam Houston State

Quote Originally Posted by dgtw View Post
    The Big XII has a bigger “name” than the AAC despite losing Oklahoma and Texas. They could cherry pick the cream. Looking at the 2019 standings, the top five teams were Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, SMU, and Navy. Then Tulsa had a solid season last year. Any four of those would boost the league and get them into major markets. Navy being football only might be a non-starter but any of the others would jump at a chance to get in a more respected conference in a tighter footprint.

Without Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 is dead. The conference will implode quickly after the announcement of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is official. UT and OU have been keeping the conference together by a thread, and now they are about to rip the bandaid off.