Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

My Team
    Texas A&M University - Commerce

Re: The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

TAMUC is parting with Coach Bailiff, and the statement wasÖ lacking.

"He's not going to come back, that's all I can tell you," said Avi Mehta, A&M-Commerce's assistant athletic director for communications. "It was an A&M-Commerce decision not to bring him back."

First Class FCS Ruler acbearkat's Avatar
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Tane View Post
    Lamar fired Head Coach Morgan
    Much to your excitement. That was a bad hire. He was an atrocious fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    December 2013 graduate of Sam Houston

Follow me on Twitter @etexbearkat

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

Eight football playing teams in the Southland, and four (HCU, Lamar, TAMUC, and now UIW) are looking for head coaches.

The HCU coach, the only head coach in the 10-year-old program resigned. The UIW coach is heading to FBS Texas State.)

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Sam Houston

Quote Originally Posted by McCowboys View Post
    Eight football playing teams in the Southland, and four (HCU, Lamar, TAMUC, and now UIW) are looking for head coaches.

The HCU coach, the only head coach in the 10-year-old program resigned. The UIW coach is heading to FBS Texas State.)
    A lot of turnover. The Southland will be wide open the next couple of years. It will be fun to watch who rises to the top.
    The Moth don't care if the Flame is real.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    A lot of turnover. The Southland will be wide open the next couple of years. It will be fun to watch who rises to the top.
    I would imagine SLU will have a leg up and they have a fairly young team this season, and Scelfo just finds a way to win the close ones.
    It will be interesting to see who those four teams hire and who they will lose to the portal and who they will recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by McCowboys View Post
    I would imagine SLU will have a leg up and they have a fairly young team this season, and Scelfo just finds a way to win the close ones.
    It will be interesting to see who those four teams hire and who they will lose to the portal and who they will recruit.
    All bets are off with the transfer portal, both coming and going, but the guys we should get back who were lost in fall camp or in the first three games due to injury will make us a lot better. Specifically, both starting tackles and two projected starting defensive ends, and a host of others. Everybody has injuries but this year has been particularly brutal for the Lions.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by lionsrking2 View Post
    All bets are off with the transfer portal, both coming and going, but the guys we should get back who were lost in fall camp or in the first three games due to injury will make us a lot better. Specifically, both starting tackles and two projected starting defensive ends, and a host of others. Everybody has injuries but this year has been particularly brutal for the Lions.
    The Lions did not corner the market on injuries )or players who were dismissed) this season.

Goff and crew has to do better on those they get from the transfer portal and hang on to some of the young recruits they have already. One positive is that McNeese went from being one of the most penalized team year after year, to a team with one of the fewest penalties per game in the FCS. That bodes well for the future for the Cowboys.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

Three of the four SLC schools who needed new head football coaches have done so: Houston Christian, Lamar, and Texas A&M Commerce. HCU and Lamar look to have done a good job in bringing in a winner. TAMUC may have done so also, but their hire has definitely raised some eyebrows. I suppose UIW will wait to announce a hire after their playoff run ends. ? McNeese's Goff, who will be going into his second year with the Cowboys in the upcoming season will have SLC coaching superiority over four SLC coaches, all the SLC coaches across the river in Texas.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

The Southland Conference 2023 football schedule has been set. Each of the 8 teams will play one another this season: http://fbschedules.com/southland-con...ball-schedule/

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

South Dakota State wins the FCS championship game easily over North Dakota State, and the FCS season comes to an end.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe off-season, and hope to see some of you posting updates on your teams here. Spring practice is not that far away and another signing period is also on the horizon. Four new head coaches, all in the Texas half of the conference, should bring new excitement to the SLC.

Southland Strong!