Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

As the breakup of the SLC nears, I just want to thank those of you (especially Sam Houston and UCA fans) who have kept the threads going about the SLC such as weekly game picks and such and for your insightfulness and information. Your schools are lucky to have such dedicated fans as you! Best of luck until we meet again in non-conference or playoff games.

Now the SLC begins to move forward post-break-up into this coming sports season and beyond with changes on the horizon: https://crescentcitysports.com/south...ring-meetings/

McNeese, as the longest permanent member, seems to be taking a leadership role. It looks as though most of the conference tournaments (such as basketball and baseball) will be moving to on-campus sites permanently after the 2021-22 season. The conference will host a pre-conference men's and women's basketball tournament in the first week of January 2022 before the start of the 14-game conference season with the postseason conference tournament in Katy, Texas, but maybe for the last year.

The SLC's football conference season is a strange one for this season with home-and-home games between conference members, as most of you know. At this point, there is nothing guaranteed about adding new members, but something may be announced this summer. I, for one, hope there is no rush to do this. I also hope that the conference does not add too many schools as to cut down on the opportunity to schedule quality out-of-conference opponents. This has been a difficulty the last few years.

First Class FCS Ruler acbearkat's Avatar
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

Re: The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

I wonder if theyíll see about getting A&M Corpus-Christi and UNO to add football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    December 2013 graduate of Sam Houston

Follow me on Twitter @etexbearkat

My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by acbearkat View Post
    I wonder if theyíll see about getting A&M Corpus-Christi and UNO to add football.
    Ok, I give up...who's the UNO you're talking about? Is there a Northern Oklahoma I'm not aware of or something?

For me it's U of Nebraska-Omaha (a member of the Summit League who dropped football when they moved up from DII), but I'm sure you don't mean them.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    Ok, I give up...who's the UNO you're talking about?
    For me it's U of Nebraska-Omaha (a member of the Summit League who dropped football when they moved up from DII), but I'm sure you don't mean them.
    No, UNO to the Southland Conference usually means the University of New Orleans.
    I think I read sometime ago they played club football, but it is unlikely either they or A&M-CC would start up football unless they received some kind of ultimatum.

My Team
    Sam Houston State

The Southland Conference - July 1st and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    Ok, I give up...who's the UNO you're talking about?
    University of New Orleans. The campus is located on the banks of the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain.

My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by McCowboys View Post
    No, UNO to the Southland Conference usually means the University of New Orleans.
    I think I read sometime ago they played club football, but it is unlikely either they or A&M-CC would start up football unless they received some kind of ultimatum.
    Quote Originally Posted by acbearkat View Post
    University of New Orleans. The campus is located on the banks of the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain.

Thank you both. That makes a great deal more sense. I was unaware of U of New Orleans.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

My Team
    Sam Houston State

Quote Originally Posted by McCowboys View Post
    As the breakup of the SLC nears, I just want to thank those of you (especially Sam Houston and UCA fans) who have kept the threads going about the SLC such as weekly game picks and such and for your insightfulness and information. Your schools are lucky to have such dedicated fans as you! Best of luck until we meet again in non-conference or playoff games.

Now the SLC begins to move forward post-break-up into this coming sports season and beyond with changes on the horizon: https://crescentcitysports.com/south...ring-meetings/

McNeese, as the longest permanent member, seems to be taking a leadership role. It looks as though most of the conference tournaments (such as basketball and baseball) will be moving to on-campus sites permanently after the 2021-22 season. The conference will host a pre-conference men's and women's basketball tournament in the first week of January 2022 before the start of the 14-game conference season with the postseason conference tournament in Katy, Texas, but maybe for the last year.

The SLC's football conference season is a strange one for this season with home-and-home games between conference members, as most of you know. At this point, there is nothing guaranteed about adding new members, but something may be announced this summer. I, for one, hope there is no rush to do this. I also hope that the conference does not add too many schools as to cut down on the opportunity to schedule quality out-of-conference opponents. This has been a difficulty the last few years.
    Hope we schedule some out of conference games with you guys.

McNeese may be taking the lead in the SLC for now but I keep hearing that our President and AD have bigger plans for the future. I know they have plans not just to rebuild the facilities damaged from the hurricanes but make significant improvements in them. May take several years for the long range plans so the McNeese fans need to be patient. So, there might be a reason why there is no return trip for the game that was just announced with Montana St at Bozeman in 2022.

My Team
    Sam Houston State

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post
    McNeese may be taking the lead in the SLC for now but I keep hearing that our President and AD have bigger plans for the future. I know they have plans not just to rebuild the facilities damaged from the hurricanes but make significant improvements in them. May take several years for the long range plans so the McNeese fans need to be patient. So, there might be a reason why there is no return trip for the game that was just announced with Montana St at Bozeman in 2022.
    Iíll certainly be pulling for McNeese.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    McNeese Cowboys

At this point, I would imagine that only a few if any know what will happen beyond this coming season. However, I am trying to do some math. Currently in the SLC, there are 6 football playing schools. In announcing the game with Montana State in 2022, the article also mentions that McNeese will visit Rice and host Alcorn "to round out the nonconference portion of the season." Hmmmm. So with an 11-game season, McNeese would play the other 5 conference members and these three in nonconference -- and that adds up to 8 games. So that would mean three more conference games. ?

The question then becomes will the SLC have added three more football playing schools by the 2022 season, or Heaven forbid! will play another round-robin schedule of the 6 current football playing schools? Or a new conference for McNeese?