Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
Professor, I like stats .... but I could gain 100 yards on a few carries against the Lighthouse of the Blind.... now you put me in at RB against some Starbucks latte sipping soccer Moms and my YPC would drop dramatically...

maybe the stats sheet needs to be weighted mathematically based on some type of computer ranking on how good the team is

I bet you will tell me they are already doing this
Well in reality I think anyone who uses stats knows that they can be deceptive. For instance going into the playoff Sam Houston was allowing something like 58 rush yards per game and 1.6 yards per carry. In the playoffs they allowed 163 rush yards per game at 3.8 yards per carry. I think you had to be more impressed with their run defense by the end of their playoff run despite the stats flipping in the wrong direction because of the level of competition they faced.

I don't think you and I will ever agree on the value of the eye test. I don't trust my eyes except for teams I watch week in and week out. If you watched NDSU when they played SIU they didn't look like a top 25 team. If you watched them vs UND or EWU they looked like one of the national title favorites.