ETSU - Mercer: I think this game is a tossup. But- the one thing that sticks in my head is that ETSU did beat VMI, and I think it is a bit of a trap to think the Keydets were greatly weakened by the loss of their starting QB. That rat QB came in and completed in the neighborhood of 70% of his passes.. so he is no slouch. I’d say without their starting QB they were still at 90-95% .. and they still had that stud receiver. That was my impression from watching that game. So the ETSU win was still impressive to me.

ETSU 31 Mercer 28

The Citadel - VMI: Either team can win this game, and that isn’t just true of this year - it is true every year.. no matter how good or bad we both are, all bets are off when these two schools play. I think that this year’s game will hinge on two things. First, we need Eubanks back. All the other pieces are in place. But we will need a Eubanks-style performance in the middle of our D. If Eubanks suits up, that will be a huge boost in our favor.

Second, we need to avoid 3-and-outs. The best way to neutralize the VMI offense is to keep them off the field. To do that we have to minimize mistakes and turnovers. We did that against Furman and our ability to stay on the field last week was a big part of the win.

My most favored scenario would be for Mercer to lose and The Citadel to win. We get the Shako and VMI wins the SoCon. That’s a win-win for the military schools. But, I really think this is VMI’s year and I’d love to see them in a deep playoff run. (Because next year The Citadel will be in that spot!)

VMI 28 The Citadel 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk