Normally I'd be really happy about this draft article:

Bergen to Make Leap to NFL

Then, when you read it, you read every - EVERY - bad cliche about a I-AA prospect ever written. Seriously, this has to be some sort of record.

Don't feel bad if Bergen's name doesn't sound familiar. Maybe only the most die-hard draft nerds or Patriot League fanatics have heard of Bergen, who led the Mountain Hawks and was fourth in the league with 54 catches for 634 yards and eight touchdowns.

National attention doesn't come easily for players like Bergen, who play in relative anonymity on small campuses with programs that have no national TV deals and, in Lehigh's case, gives no football scholarships.

The knock against players like Bergen and schools like Lehigh is the level of competition. Colgate, Bucknell and Villanova aren't exactly USC, Oklahoma or Miami.
First of all, TE Alex Holmes of USC might be taken *below* Adam Bergen in the draft. So obviously, level of competition really helped his draft position, right? :rolleyes:

Second, Colgate, Bucknell, and Villanova are not chump change, Villanova (#80), Colgate (#131) and Bucknell (#145) are pretty decent in the Sagarin rankings. Sure, they're not USC, Oklahoma or Miami (who is?). But they ain't Ball St. either.

Thirdly, they say "national attention doesn't come easy for the [Adam Bergen's of the world]... because there's no national TV deals." Well, I-AA.org honored him plenty of times during the year. He was on CSTV's national game of the week twice - versus Colgate and Lafayette. It's not like he's toiled in obscurity on public access TV. He has played to a national audience.

What a crock.