Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WAC geography issue

My Team
    Stephen F. Austin

Re: WAC geography issue

SFA basketball got the post band switched to this season instead of the next, so we will be free and clear on all fronts going into the WAC.
    CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS - 1935 1985 1989 1999 2009 2010 2022
    FCS PLAYOFFS - 1988 1989 1993 1995 2009 2010 2021
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME - 1989
    WALTER PAYTON AWARD - 2010
    SLC/WAC COMMISSIONER'S CUP - 2009 2010 2011 2012 2015 2016 2017 2020 2021
    104 OVERALL CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

AXE'EM JACKS!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

As far as "footprint"- the WAC brought in schools that would be closer to the middle and got rid of an outlier in Chicago State. I'm sure that Seattle would love to be in the PCC or even the Big Sky but it doesn't look like that phone call has been made yet. Sometimes you have to stay where you are at. Sometimes you make a move that you think is up but it turns out not to be.

Remember when Boise State and San Diego State were going to join the Big East in football? Geographically it made no sense, yet they thought about doing it.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

My Team
    Montana State

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Here's a visual representation of how isolated some teams are in the west.

Nevada needs an FCS team.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    MSU-Mankato Mavericks

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Nevada needs an FCS team.
    Years ago I thought that Nevada State might rise to meet that challenge. Then I found out that their graduation rate barely reached double figures and that they didn't have sports teams. However, they are black and gold and called the Scorpions.
    Buffalo Lake Laker
    Ridgewater Warrior
    MNState Maverick

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    SFA's situation with APR has no impact on automatic bids in any sports as it relates to the WAC. 2020 was their football penalty and basketball will be when it is (again, won't have impact on WAC besides their eligibility for WAC tournament, automatic bid in '22 if it is denied). The WAC has enough schools for hoops auto bid in '21-22.

Outside of a quest for an automatic bid in football more expeditiously, none of these schools truly make sense for an all sports addition minus Northern Arizona. Cal Poly and UC-Davis won't be leaving the Big West in all sports. I was down with the football affiliation if they were since one trip to CA and one trip to UT for the Texas schools would've been fine and it would have only enhanced the league.
    This I do know. SFA has applied to the NCAA asking that this be the year counting for their punishment. The tricky part here is the punishment was they could not be conference champs or participate in playoffs. Because they played in the fall, claimed they were conference champs and were not eligible to play spring conference games could be viewed by the NCAA in many ways. This might be a situation where WAC influence might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Maniac View Post
    This I do know. SFA has applied to the NCAA asking that this be the year counting for their punishment. The tricky part here is the punishment was they could not be conference champs or participate in playoffs. Because they played in the fall, claimed they were conference champs and were not eligible to play spring conference games could be viewed by the NCAA in many ways. This might be a situation where WAC influence might help
    FYI - you are speaking of the wrong sport.

Football was always supposed to be penalized for the '20 season It was basketball that was a '21-22 penalty and they have since requested to make it a '20-21 penalty. Hope that clears it up for you, Raven. I wouldn't worry about anything APR-related to football and automatic bid shere.

The University has been approved to delay the men’s basketball postseason ban until the 2021-22 season, while football and baseball will serve their bans during the 2020-21 academic year.
    -The Terror-

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

FYI - you are speaking of the wrong sport.

Football was always supposed to be penalized for the '20 season It was basketball that was a '21-22 penalty and they have since requested to make it a '20-21 penalty. Hope that clears it up for you, Raven. I wouldn't worry about anything APR-related to football and automatic bid shere.
    I was always talking football.

I was always talking football.
    Football did not request a chance to their postseason ban (nor did baseball) and have thus, served it already.

Basketball was the only sport that requested it from the NCAA.

Again, non-issue and nothing to see here...
    -The Terror-

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

Football did not request a chance to their postseason ban (nor did baseball) and have thus, served it already.

Basketball was the only sport that requested it from the NCAA.

Again, non-issue and nothing to see here...
    Thanks for clearing that up. I thought they had requested FB also thus my concern about having 6 teams for next fall.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought they had requested FB also thus my concern about having 6 teams for next fall.
    The WAC is likely not having an automatic bid in '21 unless the ASUN schools come over for a one-year schedule alliance as had been reported by Pete Thamel and somewhat 'debunked' by comments made by others. It seems something will give way because the ASUN schools unless they join the Big South for a year, will have the same predicament.

The WAC will file for a waiver and will get one in '22 when it has seven schools, albeit two that are in transition.
    -The Terror-