Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WAC geography issue

My Team
    Dayton

WAC geography issue

I am not from Texas or Utah and don't have a dog in the fight but why would would schools leave their respective conferences for a new conference where schools are 1000 miles away? I've never understood West Virginia to the Big XII.

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

Re: WAC geography issue

Quote Originally Posted by jajfitz View Post
    I am not from Texas or Utah and don't have a dog in the fight but why would would schools leave their respective conferences for a new conference where schools are 1000 miles away? I've never understood West Virginia to the Big XII.
    All good questions. I think these are universities that desire the FBS experience for their kids and see this as a way to accomplish it. Yes it will take time and commitment but this way they don't have to join an existing conference (if any were actually throwing invitations around) and always be the new guy. With that said, I really don't know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thereís multiple threads on this

The Texas schools have actually created a smaller footprint of a league if you just isolate the Texas Division in which most sports (minus hoops and football) will play within the division. They will solely be playing in Texas in those sports for league play which for most of them, is where they recruit their athletes.

basketball is seen as a huge improvement as a league. Only four schools in SLC rank in top 300 of NET let alone top 200. Three of those schools are going to the WAC next year and have been carrying the SLC flag as it relates to hoops. They envision creating a situation where they are an improved seed and the league RPI should be a significant (8 to 15 league improvement over the SLC) in league RPI

football is more about being aligned with similar schools who have a desire to explore FBS. Again, heavily Texas weighted right now with one annual trip to Utah. Thatís not bad for the Texas schools. They maintain an AQ once dust settles and with the likely addition being another TX school or two (UTRGV is strongly looking at FB and we anticipate a D2 school from the LSC), again the travel minus the one UT trip makes a tighter league within a single state.

end of day, the schools leaving SLC had the top budgets in league. There was a growing disparity on the financial side, there were some weak links in SLC related to facilities, all the departing schools have ESPN broadcasts in house (only SLU of remaining schools does), thereís a commitment to reviewing FBS and improving MBB hoops (where the $$ is). Itís a no brainer regardless of what some think
    -The Terror-

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    Thereís multiple threads on this

The Texas schools have actually created a smaller footprint of a league if you just isolate the Texas Division in which most sports (minus hoops and football) will play within the division. They will solely be playing in Texas in those sports for league play which for most of them, is where they recruit their athletes.

basketball is seen as a huge improvement as a league. Only four schools in SLC rank in top 300 of NET let alone top 200. Three of those schools are going to the WAC next year and have been carrying the SLC flag as it relates to hoops. They envision creating a situation where they are an improved seed and the league RPI should be a significant (8 to 15 league improvement over the SLC) in league RPI

football is more about being aligned with similar schools who have a desire to explore FBS. Again, heavily Texas weighted right now with one annual trip to Utah. Thatís not bad for the Texas schools. They maintain an AQ once dust settles and with the likely addition being another TX school or two (UTRGV is strongly looking at FB and we anticipate a D2 school from the LSC), again the travel minus the one UT trip makes a tighter league within a single state.

end of day, the schools leaving SLC had the top budgets in league. There was a growing disparity on the financial side, there were some weak links in SLC related to facilities, all the departing schools have ESPN broadcasts in house (only SLU of remaining schools does), thereís a commitment to reviewing FBS and improving MBB hoops (where the $$ is). Itís a no brainer regardless of what some think
    Excellent analysis. Hopefully we will only be linked to ASUN for one season. I know SFA has applied to have this year count as their API punishment year. If it is not approved I wonder how all of this will play into the auto bid.

Since the majority of people live on the coasts or along the Mississippi and its tributaries, any conference based in the west not located on the coast is going to have large travel distances.

My Team
    Montana State

Based on the geography argument I thought WAC would have gone after the CA schools in the Big Sky. Cal Poly, Sac State, and UC Davis. and maybe even NAU.

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Sam Houston State

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Based on the geography argument I thought WAC would have gone after the CA schools in the Big Sky. Cal Poly, Sac State, and UC Davis. and maybe even NAU.
    Maybe they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Maniac View Post
    Excellent analysis. Hopefully we will only be linked to ASUN for one season. I know SFA has applied to have this year count as their API punishment year. If it is not approved I wonder how all of this will play into the auto bid.
    SFA's situation with APR has no impact on automatic bids in any sports as it relates to the WAC. 2020 was their football penalty and basketball will be when it is (again, won't have impact on WAC besides their eligibility for WAC tournament, automatic bid in '22 if it is denied). The WAC has enough schools for hoops auto bid in '21-22.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Outside of a quest for an automatic bid in football more expeditiously, none of these schools truly make sense for an all sports addition minus Northern Arizona. Cal Poly and UC-Davis won't be leaving the Big West in all sports. I was down with the football affiliation if they were since one trip to CA and one trip to UT for the Texas schools would've been fine and it would have only enhanced the league.
    -The Terror-

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Since the majority of people live on the coasts or along the Mississippi and its tributaries, any conference based in the west not located on the coast is going to have large travel distances.
    Here's a visual representation of how isolated some teams are in the west.

In the case of WVU it's as simple as being in a Power 5 conference or not being in one. Some bad geography is worth that.

But as a side note, I'm a big Louisville fan so I have some perspective on this...

At the time the Big 12 was trying to add one team, and it basically came down to Louisville or WVU. In the short term it seems like WVU won that battle, but at the time no one knew that Maryland was going to bolt the ACC for the Big 10. I certainly think both Louisville and WVU would have preferred the ACC to the Big 12, and it actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise that the Big 12 turned the Cards down.
    "Let's let'em know right now at the beginning of the game that they're playing EKU, and they're gonna get the hell knocked out of them right off the bat!"

--Former EKU coach Roy Kidd

http://static.flickr.com/46/163085795_b43cb8ce0c.jpg